Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

21 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

What is the prevailing opinion of Charbonnett? I am intrigued by him.

I think he's really good, and is better than Rashad Penny was, who was a first round pick.  Big, well put-together athlete with an upright running style and long stride.  He is much faster as an open field runner than you expect, which is how he hit all those homeruns at UCLA.  He doesn't look quick, but he hits the second level really hard and fast with his decisive style and he is very powerful.  He reminds me of James Conner

Charbonnet plays with a mean streak too.  Kind of a geeky looking kid, but damned if he isn't physical.  Loves lowering a shoulder on runs, and loves picking up blitzers and giving them the business.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ugh, that would suck.

I'm starting to worry that there is a chance for PJJr and Harrison to both be off the board before 16, and leave us in Dawand Jones or bust territory.  And I also don't think this a product of combine numbers, the film was already there for Harrison to be an early first round pick.  It was already clear that he had elite run blocking range and silky smooth lateral agility in pass protection.

We aren't going to be able to trade back in the first.  We also need to decide if we are OK with Dawand Jones's lack of run blocking range, because if not, Harrison and Skoronski are really our only good options in round one at 16 then. 

And we need also need to decide if we want Cosmi at RT, because if we want him at guard, then Harrison and D Jones are our only chances at a day one starting RT IMO.  If we are OK with Cosmi at RT, then Skoronski actually becomes a really good option for us.  He could start day 1 at either guard spot and Paul can probably start at the other one and then we just need to find a center (Olu for me).

At the end of the day, I'm hoping for Harrison at 16.  Best scheme versatility and upside at LT after PJJr.  If he's gone, then I'm not trading down.  I'm staying at 16 and picking Dawand and moving Cosmi to RG.

What do you guys think of B. Branch in the first round.  I tried to complete a mock and I cannot see a OL or LB worth a pick that high.  I would jump at the chance to draft P. Johnson, I can't see him lasting until our selection.  I think he could be a prefect hybrid safety/slot corner.  He actually played the majority of his snaps in the slot. Based on his highlights looks like a very sound tackler.

As I said, he is not my ideal choice, however I think he fits a need relative to where we are selecting and IMO, is the best player available when we select.

Again, all will be tied into what we can get done in FA.  

Looking forward to discussion tomorrow...

Snaps by Alignment
  2022 2021 2020
D-LINE 24 18 17
SLOT 569 411 202
CORNER 14 23 3
BOX 136 123 41
DEEP 25 49 27

2 minutes ago, sebestian said:

What do you guys think of B. Branch in the first round.  I tried to complete a mock and I cannot see a OL or LB worth a pick that high.  I would jump at the chance to draft P. Johnson, I can't see him lasting until our selection.  I think he could be a prefect hybrid safety/slot corner.  He actually played the majority of his snaps in the slot. Based on his highlights looks like a very sound tackler.

As I said, he is not my ideal choice, however I think he fits a need relative to where we are selecting and IMO, is the best player available when we select.

Again, all will be tied into what we can get done in FA.  

Looking forward to discussion tomorrow...

Snaps by Alignment
  2022 2021 2020
D-LINE 24 18 17
SLOT 569 411 202
CORNER 14 23 3
BOX 136 123 41
DEEP 25 49 27

I think he could start in the nickel for us. He didn’t test really well, he may slide into the early 2nd. I think if we traded down I’d be cool with it. I don’t think he would be BPA at 16, most likely.

10 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I think he could start in the nickel for us. He didn’t test really well, he may slide into the early 2nd. I think if we traded down I’d be cool with it. I don’t think he would be BPA at 16, most likely.

Hudson might be our best option as a Nickelback.  

42 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I think he's really good, and is better than Rashad Penny was, who was a first round pick.  Big, well put-together athlete with an upright running style and long stride.  He is much faster as an open field runner than you expect, which is how he hit all those homeruns at UCLA.  He doesn't look quick, but he hits the second level really hard and fast with his decisive style and he is very powerful.  He reminds me of James Conner

Charbonnet plays with a mean streak too.  Kind of a geeky looking kid, but damned if he isn't physical.  Loves lowering a shoulder on runs, and loves picking up blitzers and giving them the business.

How do you see that fitting with Gibby and BRob? And where do you see him being picked? I am interested in a mid-late round RB that can complement what we have. I think McKissic is done. Too many dangerous injuries for him to keep playing football. We will need that change of pace guy to replace him.

34 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Thanks,

I did not get a chance to really watch the combine.  His tape looks really good though.  

Harrison rising isn’t good for us as it pertains to OL. He and PJJr off the board, questions on Dawand personality wise… leaves Darnell if Dawand doesn’t check out (which I have no idea if he will or won’t).

But it’s a big help to us as far as being a trade down destination. Corners, edges will be on the board. And someone is going to be enamored with one of them and come calling. 

Dropping back, ideally 5ish spots, opens Torrence, Edges, corners and maybe even Branch for us and leaves us with extra picks to help fill some voids. If we could manage to get a Jack Campbell I’d be ecstatic. 

5 hours ago, CommandB11 said:

How do you see that fitting with Gibby and BRob? And where do you see him being picked? I am interested in a mid-late round RB that can complement what we have. I think McKissic is done. Too many dangerous injuries for him to keep playing football. We will need that change of pace guy to replace him.

He's basically the same back as B Rob.  A little dancier in the hole, and a little more flash as a runner.  But largely the same style and function.  He'd be another big back with three down utility, but he's not as fast as Gibby nor as versatile a receiver.  Probably eventually push Gibby off the roster to be honest.

I don't think Charbonnet is a mid to late round back though.  He's probably a solid second rounder.  I think he's got fringe first round value but his 40 time is probably too slow to go first.  If he had run mid to low 4.4s like Rasheed Penny or Najee Harris he probably could go in the first.  This isn't a strong offensive skill class outside of TE because the receivers aren't good this year, so a lot of backs are going to go in the first 75 picks.

13 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He's basically the same back as B Rob.  A little dancier in the hole, and a little more flash as a runner.  But largely the same style and function.  He'd be another big back with three down utility, but he's not as fast as Gibby nor as versatile a receiver.  Probably eventually push Gibby off the roster to be honest.

I don't think Charbonnet is a mid to late round back though.  He's probably a solid second rounder.  I think he's got fringe first round value but his 40 time is probably too slow to go first.  If he had run mid to low 4.4s like Rasheed Penny or Najee Harris he probably could go in the first.  This isn't a strong offensive skill class outside of TE because the receivers aren't good this year, so a lot of backs are going to go in the first 75 picks.

I have my RBs as:

Bijan, Jahmyr, DeWayne, Carbonation. I’m fairly locked in to that. I could see people swapping 3/4 and I wouldn’t argue too loud.

So I’d say I’m in agreement. Carbonation (aka Charbonnet) is a very solid second round pick. I could see a team reaching in the first if they need a back and the top two are gone, too.

6 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

I don't know, I think he still goes early.  The class lacks a lot of elite first round talent, kind of an abrupt shelf in the teens.  To me he's one of the elite talents of the bunch.  A Minkah Fitzpatrick/Desmond King style safety corner hybrid who can move around your defense and make tons of plays.  His combine hurts his chances as a man cover DB, and perhaps it does sink his draft stock, but if so, then that just makes his potential value higher to me.  Especially for a zone heavy team like us.

If he's on the board in the second, then I think he'll be one of the best draft picks of the class.  Like an All Pro type of upside from a second round pick.

This is an interesting year for DBs because there are so many really good ones but no truly great ones.  A lot of big and fast corners who have round one athleticism, but to a man, they were outplayed by Branch, Clark Phillips, Trey Hodges-Thomlinson, and Devon Witherspoon.  The little guys were better on film this season, and in some cases,  not just a little bit.  But of that group, Witherspoon is the only one with solid first round value now.

Kind of feels like the best DBs from the class are still going to be the small ones.

8 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Ugh, that would suck.

I'm starting to worry that there is a chance for PJJr and Harrison to both be off the board before 16, and leave us in Dawand Jones or bust territory.  And I also don't think this a product of combine numbers, the film was already there for Harrison to be an early first round pick.  It was already clear that he had elite run blocking range and silky smooth lateral agility in pass protection.

We aren't going to be able to trade back in the first.  We also need to decide if we are OK with Dawand Jones's lack of run blocking range, because if not, Harrison and Skoronski are really our only good options in round one at 16 then. 

And we need also need to decide if we want Cosmi at RT, because if we want him at guard, then Harrison and D Jones are our only chances at a day one starting RT IMO.  If we are OK with Cosmi at RT, then Skoronski actually becomes a really good option for us.  He could start day 1 at either guard spot and Paul can probably start at the other one and then we just need to find a center (Olu for me).

At the end of the day, I'm hoping for Harrison at 16.  Best scheme versatility and upside at LT after PJJr.  If he's gone, then I'm not trading down.  I'm staying at 16 and picking Dawand and moving Cosmi to RG.

Chicago trading back meant another potential OL is off the board (unless they go DL or Bijon).  Tennessee is taking OL for sure.  NE needs a LT.  The reports regarding the interviews with Dawaand are out there.  We all have no idea what that does to his draft stock.  I don't think Paris Johnson was ever going to make it to 16.  Skoronski probably doesn't because he's so super safe as at least a guard.  

If Paris Johnson, Skoronski, and Harrison are gone (and the interviews cause a free fall for Dawaand), then we either take Wright, CB3, or trade down to a team that wants WR1.  Of course, considering my love of Bijon, if he's there at 16, I'm taking him.

This freeing up of cap space with the Payne deal might also allow us to go after a RT in FA.  That changes the calculus on everything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sebestian said:

Thanks,

I did not get a chance to really watch the combine.  His tape looks really good though.  

I think Branch could end up a Puke. He’d be a great versatile DB piece for us. Maybe a luxury pick with our OL issues.

9 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Ugh, that would suck.

Judging by mocks these players seem a given gone before 16.

4 QBs

Anderson

T. Wilson

Carter

Paris Johnson

So that's 8 players.

These guys usually seem to go

Skoronski

Bijan Robinson

Broderick Jones

Nolan Smith (post combine)

Sometimes go:

Witherspoon

Murphy

Branch

One of the receivers depending on the mock

One of the TEs (Mayer or Kincaid)

I think there is a good chance Skoronski is there at 16 even though the draft media thinks no way for the most part.  I am not as high on him as most but see the Scherff paraells at guard.  I know Rivera loved Scherff but alas he didn't want to return.  Wonder if he's really tempting for them if he is there.

Personally, I think among Harrison, Dawand Jones and Darnell Wright, one of them should be there, I am high on all of them.   

My best guess right now its either Skoronski. Witherspoon or Porter if they stay pat but if they trade down whomever is left among Jones, Wright, Harrison, Torrence.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

If we're looking at Spears and Abikanda, we are likely also considering Zach Evans, Sean Tucker, and Chase Brown (already been linked I thought). Kenny McIntosh is a possibility who excels in the passing game and while his 40 time was not good at all, I think he plays faster than that. Eric Gray maybe but he looks like a 4.5 guy that lacks the top-end speed we appear to covet.

Spears and Abikanda are both capable of being homerun hitters, have good hands, and have top-end speed, which is what links them IMO. Spears is the better prospect of the two, IMO. Evans, Tucker, and Chase are the next closest to them IMO though both Evans and Tucker not opting to run is something to consider.

But, there are certainly other options too. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Judging by mocks these players seem a given gone before 16.

4 QBs

Anderson

T. Wilson

Carter

Paris Johnson

So that's 8 players.

These guys usually seem to go

Skoronski

Bijan Robinson

Broderick Jones

Nolan Smith (post combine)

Sometimes go:

Witherspoon

Murphy

Branch

One of the receivers depending on the mock

One of the TEs (Mayer or Kincaid)

I think there is a good chance Skoronski is there at 16 even though the draft media thinks no way for the most part.  I am not as high on him as most but see the Scherff paraells at guard.  I know Rivera loved Scherff but alas he didn't want to return.  Wonder if he's really tempting for them if he is there.

Personally, I think among Harrison, Dawand Jones and Darnell Wright, one of them should be there, I am high on all of them.   

My best guess right now its either Skoronski. Witherspoon or Porter if they stay pat but if they trade down whomever is left among Jones, Wright, Harrison, Torrence.

Nice post SIP.  I can see RR racing to the podium and taking Skornski as he's super safe as a guard.  However, I could also see NE taking him.  They took Wynn as a tackle despite his short height (he did have the arms to play tackle).  GB could take him at 15 (or 13 if they get it in a Rodgers trade).

I figure Philly takes Witherspoon at 10 since CB is a major need for them (would rather they take him over Bijon).  Gonzalez is going before Philly at 9.  I think 2 CBs are gone before 16.

Standig's most recent NFL mock is interesting. He is known as one of the most accurate mock-drafters, and he once again has a trade-down for Washington. He has KC giving us #31, #63, #134, #217 and a 2024 4th for #16 and #150. Then he has us taking O'Cyrus Torrence from Florida. 

I love Torrence. I think most have assumed we'd address Guard in some capacity in FA. 

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Standig's most recent NFL mock is interesting. He is known as one of the most accurate mock-drafters, and he once again has a trade-down for Washington. He has KC giving us #31, #63, #134, #217 and a 2024 4th for #16 and #150. Then he has us taking O'Cyrus Torrence from Florida. 

I love Torrence. I think most have assumed we'd address Guard in some capacity in FA. 

Sure, we talked about that mock here.  Of course we can't count on a trade down and that haul, on that front Standig was spit balling.  But I get the logic of the trade, I speculated the same on the FA thread awhile ago that the Chiefs might be a good partner. The Chiefs have 10 picks, they have a loaded roster and Rivera and Reid are friends.

As for Torrence, I like him a lot, wish i loved him.  But IMO he's a high floor player.  The first quarter of the game against Georgia he looked rough to me in pass protect but he settled down after that.

But clearly, he's a big dude who anchors well, physical run blocker but not a 2nd level type run blocker.

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Oh, i see he did a full mock today.  In the past he's done a Washington alone mock where he executed that same trade

Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 9.44.31 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Harrison rising isn’t good for us as it pertains to OL. He and PJJr off the board, questions on Dawand personality wise… leaves Darnell if Dawand doesn’t check out (which I have no idea if he will or won’t).

But it’s a big help to us as far as being a trade down destination. Corners, edges will be on the board. And someone is going to be enamored with one of them and come calling. 

Dropping back, ideally 5ish spots, opens Torrence, Edges, corners and maybe even Branch for us and leaves us with extra picks to help fill some voids. If we could manage to get a Jack Campbell I’d be ecstatic. 

This would be the definition of letting the draft come to us. If we did this, ended up with a top OG and C and filled other needs, perhaps OT can wait until 2024.