9 3/8"

Combine Results

40 Yard Dash  4.89

Vertical Jump 27

Broad Jump 109

3 Cone Drill 7.74

20 Yd Shuttle 4.83

Overview

Paul has a guard body but played out of position at tackle over the last two seasons. There are limited downhill run reps over his last two years at tackle and his guard tape from 2019 is still a little raw, making his guard projection a tad murky. He's highly intelligent on and off the field. Picking up technique and scheme will not be a problem for him. However, picking up twists and slants might be an issue due to a lack of foot quickness and reactive agility. Paul has the size, strength, football character and toughness to play NFL guard but the limitations could make it a short stay in the league.

Strengths

Elite character and leadership qualities run deep.

Massive bubble with thick thighs and long arms.

Good football intelligence and technical understanding.

Operates with pinpoint hand placement in run game.

Doesn't allow feet to stagnate.

Awareness and rhythm working to his second block on combos.

Block finisher.

Effective use of length to clear blitzers from gaps.

Above-average hand strength snatches into pads.

Length should allow him to find interior rushers first.

*Click Link For More*

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Not a lock, but he probably stands a decent chance

Keim mentioned him in his podcast today.  Said he didn’t look good at tackle when tried him there in early camp.  Looked much better at guard.  He plays strong and has a nasty streak according to Keim.  Apparently, he stoned Allen today in practice.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 10:53 AM, philibusters said:

I am think Saddiq Charles may not be a lock to have a roster spot because it sounds like the staff may like Paul more.

Saddiq is also the #4 tackle. If they cut him, they don’t have anyone behind Lucas. Saddiq isn’t a good tackle but Paul apparently is really bad at it

20 minutes ago, method man said:

Saddiq is also the #4 tackle. If they cut him, they don’t have anyone behind Lucas. Saddiq isn’t a good tackle but Paul apparently is really bad at it

Yeah, I think they both have a good shot to make it.  If they keep 10, you have Charles, Paul, Larson, Schweitzer, Lucas as your second string.  If they go with nine, you can cut Larson (is he still on PUP? ), have Schweitzer back up C as well as guard, and stash Ismael on the PS.

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Yeah, I think they both have a good shot to make it.  If they keep 10, you have Charles, Paul, Larson, Schweitzer, Lucas as your second string.  If they go with nine, you can cut Larson (is he still on PUP? ), have Schweitzer back up C as well as guard, and stash Ismael on the PS.

I think Keim had said he practiced today, so Larsen makes it as the backup C. Might be some stuff going on come final cuts with injury problems unresolved.

Hope this CP plays well in PS WK2. That would be helpful. Supposed to backup Norwell.

Edited by TheShredder

8 hours ago, method man said:

I recall one or more times in the past, keeping just 3 Tackles.

I know it sounds risky, but I'm pretty certain it's happened. I assume when they do that, they figure they have a Guard who can play Tackle, in a pinch.

And/or someone on the PS.

Charles makes sense to make the roster because he's capable of filling in at both G/T.

So I guess it's a matter of semantics, and whether you consider him a G, or a T, on the roster/depth chart.

Playing dual positions seems to dictate a lot of roster decisions these days.

If Schweitzer, Norwell and Turner are all out, and Rouiller is on a pitch count, and Larsen still isn't off of PUP, the interior of the OL is a complete mess.

The "good" news is the top 3 tackles all seem to be fine: Leno/Cosmi as starters and Lucas as the swing backup. 

Chris Paul will have a good shot to show what he can do at any of the spots.

I hope there is an abundance of caution going on with Norwall and Schweitzer.  If there is not, they have to call Erik Flowers and beg him to come back.  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Schweitzer, Norwell and Turner are all out, and Rouiller is on a pitch count, and Larsen still isn't off of PUP, the interior of the OL is a complete mess.

The "good" news is the top 3 tackles all seem to be fine: Leno/Cosmi as starters and Lucas as the swing backup. 

Chris Paul will have a good shot to show what he can do at any of the spots.

I hope there is an abundance of caution going on with Norwall and Schweitzer.  If there is not, they have to call Erik Flowers and beg him to come back.  

Yeah the interior of our OL scares me especially considering we're facing four really good fronts to open the season. 

The thing about Erik Flowers or other guys I have seen mentioned here like Daryl Williams and even a guy like JC Tretter (who could probably play all three interior positions) is that none of them are likely going to want to play for the veterans minimum and none of them are going to want to be backups.  So what happens is, they don't sign until a team suffers an injury, then they can get starter money and a starting spot.   Erik Flowers has the ability to play guard or tackle, but I doubt he wants to come for close to the veterans minimum and to be a backup.

Edited by philibusters

7 minutes ago, philibusters said:

The think about Erik Flowers or other guys I have seen mentioned here like Daryl Williams and even a guy like JC Tretter (who could probably play all three interior positions) is that none of them are likely going to want to play for the veterans minimum and none of them are going to want to be backups.  So what happens is, they don't sign until a team suffers an injury, then they can get starter money and a starting spot.   Erik Flowers has the ability to play guard or tackle, but I doubt he wants to come for close to the veterans minimum and to be a backup.

Well, we have suffered 3 injuries, and might need to pay him starter money.  The bridge might be burned.  I dunno.  

It doesn't sound like the Norwall injury is anything serious.  But Trai Turner hasn't practiced yet, and Schweitzer is hurt (again).  

I REALLY don't want to go into the season with just Charles and Chris Paul as guards, and literally nobody behind them with any real experience.  

I get Masko is the miracle worker.  

BUT.

We can't start the season down 3 guards.  

Panic GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

@Voice_of_ReasonNot sure Flowers would switch to RG either?? I saw flowers had some sub-par games in 2021, but didn't understand the cut until the typical Ex-Panther signing. Yeah there's the cheap bottom feeder mentality of adding players off of the cut-down to 53 bin that spackles the final holes.

I don't think they wanted to pay Flowers what he was owed, and I think they thought they could get the same production for less. And the fact he hasn't been picked up yet speaks to the fact he probably wasn't worth what he was paid in Miami or what he was asking.  I think they look pretty good on the front of moving on from Flowers, given his lack of interest from anybody else.  

I've posted a lot that the former Panther thing is hugely overblown, and at this point a stupid media creation.  Even if BOTH Norwell and Turner start, that would be a total of 3 former Panthers who are starting, the two of them and Samuel.  If you really want to throw David Mayo in there, then that's 4.  A HC bringing 4 of his former players is not unheard of.  

As far as Flowers goes, at the moment, you get a body and plug them in. 

It could be an overreaction.  Everybody might be fine by the beginning of the season.  And they like Chris Paul.  And Masko is a magician.  So, maybe it all just works out just fine. 

But I would warm up the phone lines to get a variety of veteran depth in if at least 2 of Norwell, Turner and Schweitzer are not healthy pretty soon.