Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

9 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

some of those things aren’t promises? He said Teslas were boats for short periods of time. And I’ve seen the video to prove it. 

the fsd button has been available for 6 months…

He told someone from the SEC to perform yada yada…

Teslaquilla has been sold…

Did you even read what you posted? I mean, sure Elon makes a lot claims that haven’t came true yet, but the website you posted is just a random collection of things he has said. Half of them aren’t even promises….

I never said they were all promises, but some of them are, and yes they haven't come true yet.  And some never will.

58 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

What side am I on?

The same side everyone on Twitter is on…the side that confirms your biases.

Also wanna offer a golf clap to Twitter for their “these follower numbers are totally organic and we’ve never been a cesspool of bots and dupes and certainly are not now or going forward…as always, totally organic business as usual” stance.

Edited by TradeTheBeal!

I took a ride in my friend's Tesla the other day. It was interesting. It did make my motion sickness act up. It could have been coincidence. But, I sat in the passenger seat and you can barely see the front end. It was cool. The field of view was excellent. It was a cheaper version. They paid around 35k during the pandemic.

Also, the turn signal farting was funny for a minute. Then we forgot that we turned it on to try it. So, when we actually turned it on when switching lanes it was startling and obnoxious.

On 4/26/2022 at 9:35 AM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

He will have second thoughts about this folly.

Offering someone money to end their account isn’t attempting to silence free speech in my opinion. 

Exactly, and neither is calling a few politicians you own to have the information removed from public access.

e45.png

Yea, he's gonna need to expand on some examples that would "upset" either side then...

I'm not buying a goal of equally pissing off either side as "neutrality", either. Sounds good in theory, but not how the real world works...

Dude is seriously about to mess around and find out, Godspeed.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Why?

He's gonna start losing sales pissing off liberals over on twitter. Not to mention the issue that could come up with China as it relates to twitter and speech. The board has a duty to its shareholders 

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

He's gonna start losing sales pissing off liberals over on twitter. Not to mention the issue that could come up with China as it relates to twitter and speech. The board has a duty to its shareholders 

He deserves the right to screw this up first or at least Tesla sales actually plummet instead of assuming they will.  

He's clearly never set foot in a office full of social media moderates doing their job. 

Idealistic as he is, no telling how he responds once he actually sees the sausage being made:

12 minutes ago, Hersh said:

He's gonna start losing sales pissing off liberals over on twitter.

Liberals are already in on EVs and solar. Telsa sales 54 percent of EVs in the US. Chevrolet is next with 9 percent. There is no extra capacity. Liberals are stuck with Tesla for now. Besides that whatever he looses with liberals he will make up for with conservatives.

Antidotally I’m a member of a Tesla forum and the liberals on there don’t seem as shook as this bunch over him buying Twitter. They just think he doesn’t know what being a “free speech absolutist” actually means. And I agree with them. So I’m not sure liberals who already like Tesla are going to revolt the way you hope.

12 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Not to mention the issue that could come up with China as it relates to twitter and speech. The board has a duty to its shareholders 

What issue with China and speech? Do people want CEOs to stand up against Chinese subjugation of human rights or not. Saying he should be fired because of the possibility he might piss off China for being pro free speech is an odd take for any decent person to make.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

35 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

What issue with China and speech? 

Tesla Urged Chinese Government To Censor Critics In China

Outside of the company’s unwavering fanboys, it’s fairly clear to most folks that the honeymoon phase of the planet’s relationship with Tesla is coming to a close. Whether it’s regulatory scrutiny of the company’s premature and often inaccurate self-driving claims, the loss of significant emissions credits in the US and Europe, frustration at the often stupid **** that comes out of Elon Musks’ mouth, legal issues related to the SolarCity acquisition, or major quality headaches related to the company’s solar installations and cars alike, the bloom has, as they say, fallen from the rose.

That also extends to China, where Tesla’s early successes appear to have hit a bit of a roadblock. Part of that roadblock recently emerged in the form of a massive recall of nearly every Tesla sold in China due to software issues. Responding to bipartisan US aggressiveness (see: TikTok), the Chinese government has also banned all Teslas from being used by government agencies, citing potential privacy natsec concerns. After initially rolling out the red carpet, Chinese officials have sharply shifted their tone over the better part of the last year.

To counter the shift, Tesla has engaged in a massive new PR push on social platforms, and some newfound groveling at the feet of Chinese authorities. But Bloomberg buries a troubling part of said groveling in a throwaway sentence halfway into the story. Namely the fact that Tesla went so far as to ask the Chinese government to use its immense censorship apparatus to censor company critics online:

Previously focused on state-run media, Tesla is now trying to build relationships with auto-industry publications and influencers on platforms such as Weibo and WeChat, for example by inviting them on factory tours, and conducting group ?discussion sessions? with policymakers, consumers, and media outlets. According to people familiar with the matter, it?s also complained to the government over what it sees as unwarranted attacks on social media, and asked Beijing to use its censorship powers to block some of the posts.”

Click on the link for more

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Liberals are already in on EVs and solar. Telsa sales 54 percent of EVs in the US. Chevrolet is next with 9 percent. There is no extra capacity. Liberals are stuck with Tesla for now. Besides that whatever he looses with liberals he will make up for with conservatives.

Antidotally I’m a member of a Tesla forum and the liberals on there don’t seem as shook as this bunch over him buying Twitter. They just think he doesn’t know what being a “free speech absolutist” actually means. And I agree with them. So I’m not sure liberals who already like Tesla are going to revolt the way you hope.

What issue with China and speech? Do people want CEOs to stand up against Chinese subjugation of human rights or not. Saying he should be fired because of the possibility he might piss off China for being pro free speech is an odd take for any decent person to make.

What Elon is doing is creating multiple conflicts for Tesla. As a shareholder, I don't particularly like it. I can see China squeezing Tesla over issues with Twitter. I don't think for one second that Elon is going to really stand up to China. 

I didn't even think about Europe, but that could be an issue as well. 

• Thumb up 1

48 minutes ago, Hersh said:

What Elon is doing is creating multiple conflicts for Tesla. As a shareholder, I don't particularly like it. I can see China squeezing Tesla over issues with Twitter. I don't think for one second that Elon is going to really stand up to China. 

I didn't even think about Europe, but that could be an issue as well. 

If he isn’t going to take China on then Tesla shareholders don’t have to worry about China trying to squeeze Tesla over issues with Twitter.

1 hour ago, China said:

Outside of the company’s unwavering fanboys, it’s fairly clear to most folks that the honeymoon phase of the planet’s relationship with Tesla is coming to a close. Whether it’s regulatory scrutiny of the company’s premature and often inaccurate self-driving claims, the loss of significant emissions credits in the US and Europe, frustration at the often stupid **** that comes out of Elon Musks’ mouth, legal issues related to the SolarCity acquisition, or major quality headaches related to the company’s solar installations and cars alike, the bloom has, as they say, fallen from the rose.

That also extends to China, where Tesla’s early successes appear to have hit a bit of a roadblock. Part of that roadblock recently emerged in the form of a massive recall of nearly every Tesla sold in China due to software issues. Responding to bipartisan US aggressiveness (see: TikTok), the Chinese government has also banned all Teslas from being used by government agencies, citing potential privacy natsec concerns. After initially rolling out the red carpet, Chinese officials have sharply shifted their tone over the better part of the last year.

To counter the shift, Tesla has engaged in a massive new PR push on social platforms, and some newfound groveling at the feet of Chinese authorities. But Bloomberg buries a troubling part of said groveling in a throwaway sentence halfway into the story. Namely the fact that Tesla went so far as to ask the Chinese government to use its immense censorship apparatus to censor company critics online:

Certainly reads like a Tesla hit piece. 

https://insideevs.com/news/511497/tesla-owner-fakes-brake-failure/amp/

None of the tech companies have been taking on China.  They’ve been helping China. As is just about every other company doing business there.  

I’m still not getting the panic over this.  Twitter is currently an unfriendly place filled with bots that grants an outsized voice to radicals that aren’t representative of the US electorate.  We’ve already experienced twitter with republicans spouting bull****, up to three years ago there was no expectation of banning them.  What changed was that they told a lot of lies during a pandemic, and then freaked out when they got fact checked.  Then got themselves banned.  

I’m not moving to Canada just because Twitter is reverting to what it looked like three years ago.  This isn’t a crisis.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Yea, he's gonna need to expand on some examples that would "upset" either side then...

I'm not buying a goal of equally pissing off either side as "neutrality", either. Sounds good in theory, but not how the real world works...

Dude is seriously about to mess around and find out, Godspeed.

🤔

6 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The two situations aren’t remotely similar.

They're not the same, but in this case interrelated. My point was that he showed his true colors by attempting to pay someone to remove info he didn't agree with, so he's not quite as much a free speech absolutist as he claims. However, I'm sure if he's really bothered by it and dude won't remove the info, he would almost certainly make a few calls to a few key politicians to remove public access to the info and hence take away anyone's ability to speak freely about it. Either way, the end result is the same, i.e., Musk will have silenced someone saying something he doesn't like.

5 hours ago, China said:

He's a free speech absolutist...but only for certain people.🙄

Edited by The Sisko
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

They're not the same, but in this case interrelated. My point was that he showed his true colors by attempting to pay someone to remove info he didn't agree with, so he's not quite as much a free speech absolutist as he claims.

I’m not sure I follow your logic. I say something. You pay me 500 dollars to unsay it. Well I have two options… free will… free speech 

I can agree to unsay it and take your money.  

In this scenario I am saying I value 500 dollar over whatever it was I was saying.

or I can tell you to **** off and keep posting my ****.

In this scenario I am saying I value whatever I am saying more than 500 bucks.

Either say I have the last word, my speech isn’t hindered in either scenerio.

That's different than calling politicians and getting them to take it down. 

16 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

I'm sure if he's really bothered by it and dude won't remove the info, he would almost certainly make a few calls to a few key politicians to remove public access to the info and hence take away anyone's ability to speak freely about it.

But he didn’t do that 🤔 

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I’m not moving to Canada just because Twitter is reverting to what it looked like three years ago.  This isn’t a crisis.  

ehh, I will just say that Twitter three years ago brought us to a pretty dark place.

I don’t want to see us go back to that. But Musk isn’t satan…. It is pretty dumb to assume Musk will make all the worst choices when he mostly makes pretty good ones. Though buying Twitter wouldn’t be one of those choices…. If he follows though.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

5 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Why are people fans of Elon Musk?

For me, it's because of the work, results, and sacrifices he made to help make us a multi-planet species. 

He almost went bankrupt because of early days SpaceX, no person or government emptied the clip like he did to address this issue that directly impacts the survival of our species. No one.

He'll be remember as controversial for sure, but I hope at minimum he's remembered for that as well.

That doesn't mean he gets a blank check of support from me no matter what he does, I'm jus answering your question for myself.

• Like 1