Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

What a clown. 

If anyone else walked in asking for 40 billion to buy a company with vague promises of profits while never having seen the financials and having no actual plan, they’d be laughed out of the room. 

this dude is not much more than a Donald trump. He has a massive cult following and his best attribute is his ability to wield it. 

In the bare bones statement announcing the deal, Musk said that he wants to make Twitter “better than ever” by “enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans.” 

we’re gonna make the best twitter

with the best algorithms 

many people are saying it’ll be the best free speech ever

😂😂

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

What a clown. 

If anyone else walked in asking for 40 billion to buy a company with vague promises of profits while never having seen the financials and having no actual plan, they’d be laughed out of the room. 

I think you misunderstand what that tweet says.

Twitters board didn’t get a presentation on what Elon Musk planned to do with the company. Not Musks lenders (which I assume also don’t care, but who are taking his TSLA stock as collateral)

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

this dude is not much more than a Donald trump. He has a massive cult following and his best attribute is his ability to wield it.

Are you saying Donald Trump wasn’t that bad? Or just being dumb? Gotta be one of the two for sure.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

29 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I would say it depends on if the criticism is true.  The problem is you don’t know what free speech absolutism means to Elon Musk and neither does he. You are just making assumptions.

No it isn’t. Musk asked the government to take down videos that were proven to be fake. The owner of the car admitted they were fake. And the cars black box proved they were fake. You’ll notice your article never says what exactly Tesla objects too. Because that would make the article stupid.

as the only one here who owns one of those self driving cars his has been promising, I can say there has been a lot of progress made in the two years I have owned the car.

I'll stand corrected about the faked video posts. That said, I think it crushes your moving goalpost about what free speech absolutism means to him. What he’s said in the past is, to paraphrase, that he feels ideas shouldn’t be censored, but allowed to sink or swim based on merit, proof or lack thereof. So in this Chinese social media case, someone posted something false and Tesla proved it to be so. That’s consistent with his position.

However, there are plenty of cases where he’s been totally inconsistent with this. So, if the guy that he silenced by threatening to sue his employer was posting bogus info, why didn’t Musk just refute it with evidence, rather than “canceling” him by trying to get him fired? Why would the company require NDAs for departing employees, not for proprietary information, which would be understandable, but for pretty much anything negative about the company? If disgruntled employees leave the company and start lying about things, they could easily be refuted, assuming you have proof and they're not just, well, telling the truth.

As for progress on the self driving cars, he didn't promise progress. He promised that it was going to be a done deal almost a decade ago. Now if he was a year or two late, I could understand. However, it's starting to look like vaporware.

You can try to move the goalposts all you want, but the fact is his actions don’t match his words. Most likely, he simply wants to use the platform as a source of company propaganda and a way to squelch or silence detractors.

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

I'll stand corrected about the faked video posts. That said, I think it crushes your moving goalpost about what free speech absolutism means to him.

What goal posts? What are you talking about. I’ve been consistent in saying he doesn’t know what he means by free speech absolutism and I certainly don’t agree with the idea of free speech absolutism. Whatever that means. 

As for progress on the self driving cars, he didn't promise progress. He promised that it was going to be a done deal almost a decade ago. Now if he was a year or two late, I could understand.

He has consistently over estimated how easy it would be.

However, it's starting to look like vaporware.

I have it in my car right now. And works perfectly 90 percent of the time.. 🤔  

You can try to move the goalposts all you want,

You keep throwing this out. Why don’t you be explicit in how I am changing goal posts.

10 minutes ago, GhostofSparta said:

You may not be aware, but that statistic is not nearly as reassuring as you think it is. 😬

I’m aware ;) The ten percent it is bad at will definitely kill you if you try to defeat all the safety systems.

but my point is it’s not vaporware.

The concept is not vaporware at all. Self driving cars is the future. It’ll save lives, cut down on traffic, cut down on pollution, and for people who can get by with a services that makes a car available to them when they need it it’ll cut down on a living expense. Parking will be better. The benefits are many. 

but only one company is trying a top down approach of making an autonomous system and trying to iron out all the individual components that fail independently, but alls fail collectively. 

everyone else in the industry is taking a bottom-up approach of mastering the independent components (agents) with the overarching goal of making them work together (system)

in that sense teslas model may indeed be vaporware. It’s surely too soon to declare, but he picked a significantly harder way to tackle the problem, a way that doesn’t prove successful in many other autonomous systems. 

theoretically top-down is fine, practically it’s proven incredibly hard if not impossible. Given the complexity and the risk (people dying, as opposed to, I don’t know, your clothes being folded in a way they have wrinkles) makes it almost mind boggling someone would choose that approach. 

but it’s certainly an acceptable theoretical approach. And maybe they’ll accomplish it. But generally speaking it’s easier to figure out how to make the parts work perfect, then how yo put them together, then to throw everything together quickly and try to fix all the problems. 

Edited by tshile

@tshilebriefly describe the parts of autonomous driving? Which autonomous companies are you referencing?

The hardest part of autonomous driving is getting the car to understand what it is perceiving in each nuanced context which in finds itself in. How do you subdivide that into sections?

Waymo does it by narrowly defining where the car will operate so that they can fully program all edge cases.  But if can only operate in one city. And it’s been stuck like that for years…

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/autonomous-car-progress.99413/page-378 

most of it is pissing matches but there is also a lot of good conversation.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

A deflection. I wish I could say I was shocked, but that’s your MO.

I definitely take any opportunity to point out a person has no business participating in the discussion they’re trying to participating in, when it presents itself. 

if you had any basic clue about how to design autonomous systems you wouldn’t ask who else is doing it because damn near every single car manufacture is doing it and has been advertising their independent, bottom-up design agents for years

but because you don’t have a clue as to what you’re talking about, you don’t know that. 

The fact that I’ve already pointed this out, and listed some of the numerous examples, in the other musk thread while you were actively arguing with me and others about this among other things like starlink (where you decided your basic watching of interviews and reading of incredibly basic articles devoid of any meaningful technical details qualified you) with someone who’s a career professional in the field, and you can’t remember it to the point you had to make that post asking who else is doing it, is just delicious icing on the ****ing cake 

Edited by tshile

8 hours ago, tshile said:

I definitely take any opportunity to point out a person has no business participating in the discussion they’re trying to participating in, when it presents itself. 

if you had any basic clue about how to design autonomous systems you wouldn’t ask who else is doing it because damn near every single car manufacture is doing it and has been advertising their independent, bottom-up design agents for years

but because you don’t have a clue as to what you’re talking about, you don’t know that. 

The fact that I’ve already pointed this out, and listed some of the numerous examples, in the other musk thread while you were actively arguing with me and others about this among other things like starlink (where you decided your basic watching of interviews and reading of incredibly basic articles devoid of any meaningful technical details qualified you) with someone who’s a career professional in the field, and you can’t remember it to the point you had to make that post asking who else is doing it, is just delicious icing on the ****ing cake 

You don’t need to write four paragraphs of fluffery to deflect. Your first post did the job.

Even in your fluffery you expose how ill informed and arrogant you are. Your post is factually incorrect. Every car manufacturer is not working on autonomous vehicles. Several of them have decided to outsource it to companies like Mobile Eye or Nvidia. 

I wanted to know what you knew.  But obviously it isn’t much. 

Pointing out we already had this conversation, within the past few weeks, you and I specifically, but that your understanding is so lacking you didn’t retain any of the information so you ask those questions while pretending to know anything about it, isn’t deflecting. And you do it while trying to call others dumb 😂 

you get your ass handed to you on every single topic you get involved in. 

Take a hint. 

I’ll take calling idiots out on their idiocy over being an idiot every day of the week. 

Edited by tshile

31 minutes ago, tshile said:

Pointing out we already had this conversation, within the past few weeks, you and I specifically, but that your understanding is so lacking you didn’t retain any of the information so you continue to ask dumb questions while pretending to know anything about it, isn’t deflecting 

you get your ass handed to you on every single topic you get involved in. 

Take a hint. 

You aren’t and haven’t said anything of merit. And I guess you keep bringing Mister Tim into the conversation hoping he will bail you out. But he claimed starlink didn’t work when that is obviously not correct. He also claimed 5g would be more desirable on the battlefield than starlink. Unfortunately we didn’t have wait too long to see he was wrong about that. Ukraine gave us the empirical data right away.

I wanted to know how you would compartmentalize different aspects of context about what a car is perceiving, because in the 6000 pages on a different forum that hadnt been discussed before, but instead you took the opportunity to be a feckless heckler.