Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

37 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

I disagree.  He won't be remembered.

Even if gets to Mars on his own? 

A private company being the first time humans set foot on another planet instead of a government?

Because this is where we are heading at this rate.

US Government is talking about returning to the Moon first, somewhere we've already been multiple times, and Musk is talking about skipping that **** and going straight to Mars.

He may get Andrew Carnegie love in the sense that people keeping seeing his lasting impact in his name being in different institutions or even remember him as one of the reasons US went down the path of creating anti-monopoly and anti-trust laws, more so then remembering him as a person/individual, remembering his impact more.

He may get Niel Armstrong love, where no matter what he does, he'll be remembered for one big thing and it will show up repeatedly in the history books to point you hear his name you know at minimum he did that one thing one time.

But not remembered at all?  PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, Starlink, possibly getting people on Mars himself as a private sector company?  That's an incredible amount of impact on our society to not be remembered at all.

Gotta give credit where credit is due, imo.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Even if gets to Mars on his own? 

A private company being the first time humans set foot on another planet instead of a government?

Because this is where we are heading at this rate.

US Government is talking about returning to the Moon first, somewhere we've already been multiple times, and Musk is talking about skipping that **** and going straight to Mars.

He may get Andrew Carnegie love in the sense that people keeping seeing his lasting impact in his name being in different institutions or even remember him as one of the reasons US went down the path of creating anti-monopoly and anti-trust laws, more so then remembering him as a person/individual, remembering his impact more.

He may get Niel Armstrong love, where no matter what he does, he'll be remembered for one big thing and it will show up repeatedly in the history books to point you hear his name you know at minimum he did that one thing one time.

But not remembered at all?  PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, Starlink, possibly getting people on Mars himself as a private sector company?  That's an incredible amount of impact on our society to not be remembered at all.

Gotta give credit where credit is due, imo.

Well I tell ya what.  Lets come back to this in a couple hundred years and see who's right.  If he's anything more than a footnote, Ill buy you a beer.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Well I tell ya what.  Lets come back to this in a couple hundred years and see who's right.  If he's anything more than a footnote, Ill buy you a beer.

Deal : )

"I tooOOOOLD you...I toooOOLD you!!!"

Haunted_Bars_Eric_DeFreitas_699x460.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think he be remembered the way Edison is remembered.

Just now, Captain Wiggles said:

As an asshole that took credit for his employees work and electrocuted animals? 🤔

*Nikola Tesla has entered the chat...

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

59 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

*Nikola Tesla has entered the chat...

Elon didn’t invent the light bulb or electricity. But he did win…

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

As an asshole that took credit for his employees work and electrocuted animals? 🤔

The world wouldn’t the same with out him but would be the same without your virtue signaling…

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m not sure I follow your logic. I say something. You pay me 500 dollars to unsay it. Well I have two options… free will… free speech 

I can agree to unsay it and take your money.  

In this scenario I am saying I value 500 dollar over whatever it was I was saying.

or I can tell you to **** off and keep posting my ****.

In this scenario I am saying I value whatever I am saying more than 500 bucks.

Either say I have the last word, my speech isn’t hindered in either scenerio.

That's different than calling politicians and getting them to take it down. 

But he didn’t do that 🤔 

ehh, I will just say that Twitter three years ago brought us to a pretty dark place.

I don’t want to see us go back to that. But Musk isn’t satan…. It is pretty dumb to assume Musk will make all the worst choices when he mostly makes pretty good ones. Though buying Twitter wouldn’t be one of those choices…. If he follows though.

OK, let’s look at it slightly differently. Would you consider it abusing someone's right to free speech when instead of offering money, you find out who an anonymous online critic is, then threaten to sue their employer? Somehow, that doesn't sound like so-called free speech absolutism. If I'm not mistaken, the right generally calls that cancel culture, not upholding free speech.

Elon Musk allegedly silenced an online critic with Peter Thiel’s playbook

...An unnamed investor who goes by “Montana Skeptic” online has written a great deal about Tesla. In short, he’s a Tesla short, meaning he’s betting that the stock will tank. Skeptic had a Twitter account as well as a prominent presence on the financial analysis blog Seeking Alpha. And it seems Musk did not like Skeptic’s analysis.

In Skeptic’s latest blog, he explains why he has decided to both deactivate his Twitter and stop writing about Tesla: Because Musk allegedly found out who he was, called his company, and threatened to sue. Skeptic writes:

I do not know what Mr. Musk’s precise complaints are about me. I do not believe he has any valid legal claim, and I would have no trepidation in defending myself vigorously were he to bring any claim. My response to his threats was simply to protect my employer and preserve my employment.

And so, Montana Skeptic is no longer writing about–or shorting–Tesla...

So would you say the Chinese Govt. is censoring or hindering free speech when they don’t allow access to western internet platforms without restrictions? So their people can see or post whatever they want, as long as it's not in opposition to government propaganda. This is actually a more evil way of achieving the same goal. Directly censoring one person is bad, but doing it indirectly by depriving everyone of the information so they can't speak about it is worse. Moreover, this is pretty much exactly what Tesla asked the Chinese govt. to do.

Now you’re correct that he hasn’t used indirect political means…yet, that we know of, outside of China. However, I’d point out that he clearly has a history of silencing critics and I wouldn't expect anything different if the sale does eventually go through. In fact, instead of having to call in political favors, it would allow him to directly censor folks on Twitter, the site he describes as the public square.The good news is that as previously mentioned, he'd allow all sorts of slurs, misinformation, threats and such to preserve the free speech rights of some to bully others into silence.

As for my expectations of a failure to follow through on his promises about making the algorithm open source, killing bots, and so on, we're still waiting on those self-driving cars he's been promising.🙄

1 minute ago, The Sisko said:

OK, let’s look at it slightly differently. Would you consider it abusing someone's right to free speech when instead of offering money, you find out who an anonymous online critic is, then threaten to sue their employer? Somehow, that doesn't sound like so-called free speech absolutism. If I'm not mistaken, the right generally calls that cancel culture, not upholding free speech.

I would say it depends on if the criticism is true.  The problem is you don’t know what free speech absolutism means to Elon Musk and neither does he. You are just making assumptions.

. Moreover, this is pretty much exactly what Tesla asked the Chinese govt. to do.

No it isn’t. Musk asked the government to take down videos that were proven to be fake. The owner of the car admitted they were fake. And the cars black box proved they were fake. You’ll notice your article never says what exactly Tesla objects too. Because that would make the article stupid.

, we're still waiting on those self-driving cars he's been promising.🙄

as the only one here who owns one of those self driving cars his has been promising, I can say there has been a lot of progress made in the two years I have owned the car.

10 minutes ago, Hersh said:

He’s showing his true colors. What a ****ing asshole. 

Yeah. That's not even close to valid in the US. It's flipped.

The center has moved leftward (hence gay marriage and other socially liberal ideas being mostly accepted) and the right has gone full on fascist loving nationalist talking bananas. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Yeah. That's not even close to valid in the US. It's flipped.

The center has moved leftward (hence gay marriage and other socially liberal ideas being mostly accepted) and the right has gone full on fascist loving nationalist talking bananas. 

That’s kind of what the graphic is showing. The far left and center is moving leftward. It should probably show the right moving farther right as well, but I remember fringe right types back in the 90s and early 2000s who believed the south will rise again, the Middle East should be bombed to the Stone Age, etc., so who knows.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

That’s kind of what the graphic is showing. The far left and center is moving leftward. It should probably show the right moving farther right as well, but I remember fringe right types back in the 90s and early 2000s who believed the south will rise again, the Middle East should be bombed to the Stone Age, etc., so who knows.

The south did rise again…and it stormed the Capitol on Jan 6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Musk's graphic about the political spectrum is  reinforcing the mistake of viewing politics through the lens of twitter & social media. If all you do is spend all day scrolling through twitter comment feeds, it can give you a very distorted view of what it means to be on the "left" and even in a lot of cases the "right" as well. 

When looking at actual policy applied to the real world, our economics have moved to the right since the 1980's  (which makes me crack up when it comes to all this great reset talk, because in reality Reaganism was the actual reset) and social issues have sort of bounced back & forth depending on what issues are left up to the federal gov't versus state gov't.  The Supreme court also has the potential to take things much further to the right in the coming years.  I also look at social issues at being something that starts with where the majority-culture is first, and then politicians slowly will follow, but it's very rare that politicians, even in the democratic party, will stick their neck out for anything seen as "progressive" until their internal polling shows they are with the majority. I am not talking about individual candidates who might be in small safe districts, rather actual national party platforms and the actual legislation that gets pushed. 

I put Musk in the same category as a Bill Maher.  Both are still left of center on some things, but they firmly fall into the "I am wealthy, therefore shouldn't be inconvenienced by the rules" wing. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I think Musk's graphic about the political spectrum is  reinforcing the mistake of viewing politics through the lens of twitter & social media. If all you do is spend all day scrolling through twitter comment feeds, it can give you a very distorted view of what it means to be on the "left" and even in a lot of cases the "right" as well. 

Especially when a good chunk of those comments are from bots designed to magnify both extreme left and right views.