Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

There's just not enough talent on the roster yet, especially the starting pitching, for this to be a legit playoff team.  Maybe if Means can come back with the same form and we get another reliable TOR.  We just don't really have one of those guys right now and its very hard to win in the MLB without them.   Bradish, Kremer, Wells and friends are not of that caliber.   We also need more production out of 1B, Mountcastle has seriously regressed, your 1B should definitely OPS over .750 if you want to be a contender, Mountcastle is at .725 now.  But if we fix those issues we could be pretty dangerous.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

There's just not enough talent on the roster yet, especially the starting pitching, for this to be a legit playoff team.  Maybe if Means can come back with the same form and we get another reliable TOR.  We just don't really have one of those guys right now and its very hard to win in the MLB without them.   Bradish, Kremer, Wells and friends are not of that caliber.   We also need more production out of 1B, Mountcastle has seriously regressed, your 1B should definitely OPS over .750 if you want to be a contender, Mountcastle is at .725 now.  But if we fix those issues we could be pretty dangerous.

I agree, but quite frankly I'm less concerned about the pitching at the moment (despite last night's disaster) and more worried about the offense and how bad it's been.  I will agree that this rotation needs a big name, TOR type but the performances this year have been solid.  I agree Bradish, Kremer and Wells aren't TOR types but I think they're guys you can win with.

Mountcastle has regressed.  Hays is terrible.  They need some bats, too.

Good news is you can see how they can be very good if they identify and augment the current core with some additional pieces.  But man, this offense ****ing blows lately.  No hit for 6 innings by Detroit, that's pathetic.  

• Like 1

Mountcastle's regression is one of the bigger non-injury disappointments of the season. I thought he would improve on the walk rate and it just hasn't happened. Now if they add more offensive pieces (and a full season of Henderson and Rutschman is part of that), he can be more of a 7 hole guy and not a centerpiece of the lineup. But it seems like his defense has made strides and he doesn't clog up the bases speed wise. 

And that's a wrap on what I think we all can agree was a successful season. The inconsistency of the last month, including some tough losses and being Toronto's **** over the last 10 games we played them, was tough to stomach.  The fact that at various points the Mariners and the Rays were each begging us to take their playoff spot made it even harder.  But looking at the big picture, a wild card berth nobody ever expected us to compete for is small potatoes in light of what we're building here.  I'm really optimistic we're going to have a solid offseason and be players in free agency to help take this club to the next level.

Thanks for the great summer Orioles, it was a fun ride.

• DCSaints_fan changed the title to 2022 Baltimore Orioles: Over .500 for the first time since 2016 !

What a meltdown by the Blow Jays! One day we'll be able to do this ourselves, but until then - thank you Seattle.

I know we have an MLB thread,, but posting here because every single Orioles fan is smiling right now.

Edited by capcrunch98
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I’m very happy for Trey. He was not good for the Astros as a complimentary piece (on the field) but going from cancer to comeback to World Series champion is so deserved. He and Baker really helped humanize that team for many casual fans. 

He didn’t hit, but made a game saving play in game 5.  Could have changed the series.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

O's bringing back Mychal Givens.  I like the guy, but I'm pretty disappointed in our offseason so far.  We've been really patient as this team has sucked hard for the better part of 6 years.  Now that we've got the foundation of a solid club with a lot of upside, I thought they were going to be more active in free agency (which is what management was selling us on for the past few years as we've been rebuilding).  Wasn't expecting Aaron Judge or Carlos Correa, but I was definitely hoping for more than what they've brought on so far.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Now that it's spring training time, I saw John Angelos gave an interview. The philosophy pretty much guarantees the best players will always be traded before they become FAs and hey are unlikely to every return to a significant payroll. Can't imagine being a player listening to the owner say the team overperformed and overachieved last season so now is not the time to invest in the major league payroll. Even if they did play better than expected, you don't say that out loud. Too bad they have no plans to sell.