Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

50 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Seems like the boys may have finally run out of steam and/or magic. 

Maybe yes and maybe no. the Toronto series was an opportunity but going 3-4 in a week isn't exactly a full on swoon. Lyles getting scratched late, a doubleheader, Wells getting a start off the IL, some bizarre umpiring. benches clearing. It was a fever dream series and Manoah closed the door and the opportunity for a split with a dominant performance.  

Today seems litke a wonderful day for a day off and we'll see what comes next. 

They've been playing really good the past few months, so I don't think it's fair to write them off after one disappointing series against a very solid team. That being said, it's gonna be a tough climb, and they almost certainly need to win 2/3 going forward to catch one of the clubs ahead of them.

33 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

They've been playing really good the past few months, so I don't think it's fair to write them off after one disappointing series against a very solid team. That being said, it's gonna be a tough climb, and they almost certainly need to win 2/3 going forward to catch one of the clubs ahead of them.

I'm not writing them off in that I think they will tank. I just don't see how they make up 4.5 games in the final 25. 

The way Bello was pitching early and striking every Oriole out out I thought there was no way we would come back from that game, but we have that big 6th inning and the bullpen is perfect over the last 5 innings.

Toronto unfortunately just won so I think we are still 4.5 back.   The Yanks also not doing us any favors vs. TB.  The only good news is TB and Tor have a 4 game series next week which means one of them has to drop at least two games.  Much better if its Toronto as they are closer in the standings and we also have a 3 game series against them to close out the season.  This is setting up to be a repeat of 1989 ... this time I hope with a different outcome.

Hate to label a regular season game like this when there's still 20+ games left, but I think tomorrow is a must win. You can't drop 3/4 to the team you're chasing, and then turn around and lose a home series to a team that's completely out of it. The Red Sox are never an easy out, but this is disappointing. 

Thank you Birds for a terrific season. Playoffs is pretty much out of the question at this point, but just to be talking about the postseason in mid-September was unthinkable when the season started and shows how far this team has come. I think we have some fun summers to look forward to beginning next year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, capcrunch98 said:

Thank you Birds for a terrific season. Playoffs is pretty much out of the question at this point, but just to be talking about the postseason in mid-September was unthinkable when the season started and shows how far this team has come. I think we have some fun summers to look forward to beginning next year.

I hate moral victories as much as anyone else, but after the past few seasons, seeing them get that 82nd win will feel special.  There's still work to do-- I still remember the O's standing at 62-62 in 2002 and then going 4-32 to finish the year. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

The Nats left fielder just threw a ball backwards on Henderson’s base clearing triple. That’s a wild one. 

I'm thinking of that time Santander did the same thing a few years ago when the Os were horrid - I guess when you do something like that, it pretty much sums up your season.

Toronto now 1.5 games ahead of Tampa in WC race and 1.0 games ahead of Seattle.   We are 4 GB Tampa.  Thats not quite how we wanted the series to work out (they still have one more game tomorrow) as we have 6 more games vs. Toronto and it could have been "control our own destiny" type of scenario, if such a thing exists in baseball, it is very hard to win every game over an extended period even for very good teams. 

Tampa's remaining schedule is also just as tough as ours, they have four more games vs. the Blue Jays, 6 more vs. the Astros, a three games series vs. the Guardians.  Only easy series is the three game series against the Rangers this weekend.

OTOH if the Blue Jays are in a comfortable lead for the WC spot going into the final three games series against us in early October, they could rest some of their starters at least in the back two games if it can't improve their seeding. 

• Thanks 1

Our birds probably have to go like 14-6. 

But win or lose, its been a special season. Nobody expected this. They were mocked by National writers (coughOlneycough), declared a speed bump for the division and written off completely. 

This final push is playing with house money. They’re already winners. 

• Like 3