Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

Rutschman frames a pitch to end the inning and Bogarts and Cora ejected! 

Funny thing was that it was a strike in the first place! :ols:

Then Rutschman pounds a dinger. The most impressive thing was the Red Sox fan who caught it barehanded on the fly! He didn’t immediately start chugging he’s beer though. Wasted opportunity. 

Edited by TheDoyler23

Nice late inning finish to take 2/3 from the Red Sox.   

Jorge Mateo was a stud this series.  5/13, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 6 RBI.   And came at critical moments too.  Too bad couldn't complete the comback last night, he had triple in the bottom of the 9th (was at the game, Red Sox fans really are insufferable...), but had we not allowed a run in the prior inning, that would have end up tying the game.  Also had a single in the 7th which was part of the rally which came up short.

SS moving forward is going to be very interesting. Mateo is looking like he might be the real deal. Don’t forget at one point he was the Yankees top prospect ahead of Judge. 

Then there’s Gunnar Henderson and Jackson Holliday. That’s not taking Westburg into account either. 

I really like Mateo and hope they can find a way to keep him. And I hope this is more than a hot streak that he’s on. 

Anyway, 2/3 from Boston is good. White Sox for 3 and then the Astros, this is going to be a tough week. 

• Like 1

The thing about Mateo is that he's only had something like 600 PAs and I hope he hasn't hit his ceiling for hitting. Hopefully he  could get his OBP up put his speed to use. 

The Orioles did pretty well a decade ago with an elite defensive shortstop with pop deep in the lineup with Hardy. Different tools as Hardy was not fast and had more power, but the concept is similar. 

12 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

The thing about Mateo is that he's only had something like 600 PAs and I hope he hasn't hit his ceiling for hitting. Hopefully he  could get his OBP up put his speed to use. 

The Orioles did pretty well a decade ago with an elite defensive shortstop with pop deep in the lineup with Hardy. Different tools as Hardy was not fast and had more power, but the concept is similar. 

I don't think they move him this offseason, but in 2024 there might be a decision to be had.  

Right now he's spotting an WAR of 2.8/2.9 (fWAR/bWAR), despite playing in only 113 games and having an OPS < .700, so its mostly due to defense and base running.  So over 162 that projects to an 4+ which is close to all-star caliber.  Speed is going to decline with age unfortunately, but hopefully his defense holds up.  So it may be they just ride him out to FA unless they get a can't refuse offer.

• Like 1

I will never forget this game. The fact that I can name all 4 Orioles pitchers off the top of my head (Daniel Cabrera, Brian Burres, Rob Bell and Paul Shuey) AND that the game was just another mediocre loss though 5 (trailing 5-3). 

They rested part of the bullpen blew the second game, making it worse. 

Got our revenge on Texas in the wildcard in 2012 though. 

9DBF575A-67A7-48F4-AF78-471AFC2DCC3A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I will never forget this game. The fact that I can name all 4 Orioles pitchers off the top of my head (Daniel Cabrera, Brian Burres, Rob Bell and Paul Shuey) AND that the game was just another mediocre loss though 5 (trailing 5-3). 

Man those were some dark days for this club. Ironically that was when I really became an O's fan - I worked in downtown Baltimore and would hit the ballpark a couple times a week. $8 bleacher seat, and by the 3rd inning we'd be sitting a few rows behind the dugout because the stadium was 90% empty.

The crazy thing about that Rangers game is that a Texas pitcher actually got credit for a save - in a 30-3 game!

2 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

9DBF575A-67A7-48F4-AF78-471AFC2DCC3A.jpeg

The only thing I remember about Daniel Cabrera besides him being a pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles is how he refused to even swing the bat when he played in an NL park.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

The only thing I remember about Daniel Cabrera besides him being a pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles is how he refused to even swing the bat when he played in an NL park.

Before the universal DH it was always a ****show to have AL pitchers take two rounds of BP and then get sent out there to hit. 

He may have swung once or twice after the catcher caught it!