Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

2 hours ago, turtle said:

If he is one of our best players why would we trade him away?

Mostly because it’s what a rebuilding team should do - trade away players at the end of their service time for prospects who can add more depth. More lottery tickets, basically. 

But with the way the team is playing, there is also a possibility that the organization and Elias just stays put and lets the season play out. 

• Like 1

Every fan would hate to see Mancini go.  But every realist knows that the only way a small market club can ever consistently compete in today's baseball economics is to sell high on their vets, and fully commit to their rebuild.  A lot of O's fans are still upset we weren't sellers in 2016 (with Zach Britton, who would've brought back a huge return) even though we actually made the playoffs that year.

22 hours ago, turtle said:

If he is one of our best players why would we trade him away?

Specifically in Trey's case, he's a liability in right field and not good enough to be the everyday first baseman. You're basically forced to DH him...BUT the O's happen to have an awesome young catcher who could benefit from DHing from time to time. It sucks, but the future and development of the team is more important than Trey. 

• Like 1

OTOH we're not likely to get much of a return for Mancini.  he's not exactly killing the ball this year and is of limited value defensively.  So I can see keeping him as a way to start to generate some excitement for the fanbase this year as a springboard for next year, even if the chances of us making the WC are very slim. 

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Well the time has come that Mancini has been traded to the Astros (Tampa was involved in a 3-way trade) We got two minor league pitchers.  

Here is the link

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34329440/sources-houston-astros-acquire-trey-mancini-baltimore-orioles

Sad to see him go, but I'm glad it was to a contender with a possibility of getting a ring (don't know how many people want that).  

45 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Damn, they gave the dude away for basically nothing. 

He had limited value - hit nearly .900 OPS back in 2019, but has been hitting around .750 since.  Is an FA after this season.  For a DH / average B / marginal RF, that's just not going to return much.

Yeah I wish we had just kept him.  Just hope it doesn't mess with the chemistry.  We probably aren't making the playoffs this year, but playing meaningful baseball in August/September.

Edit:  They called up Yusniel Diaz, not Kyle Stowers.   OH is having a minor coronary.  Diaz was the centerpiece of the Machado trade, and is now the last to make the majors. The thought is this basically Diaz sink-or-swim moment, they are going to find out if he justifies a spot on the 40-man, whereas Stowers decision can be deferred.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Sad to see Trey go but glad to see management not deviate from their longterm plan, which is finally showing signs of working. Adding pitching prospects is a good thing. I do feel like if we were even just 2 games higher in the standings we may stood pat and rolled the dice with the current roster. 

My sister and her family were visiting me this past weekend and the kids decided to leave hidden notes all around the house for us to find.

My niece left notes saying, "Please visit soon. We already miss you"

My nephew left me notes with Trey Mancini trade rumors.

• Haha 1