Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

50 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

This is the only thing I hate about baseball. When a major free agent becomes available, my team have absolutely no chance at getting him while others do. Yes, I’m referring to Juan Soto going to the Padres. 

Yup, baseball economics blows and if it doesn't get fixed it's really going to result in a huge drop off in fan support for MLB, especially in the small market towns (like Baltimore) which are currently reduced to sucking big fat rhinoceros balls for 5 - 7 years to accumulate enough young talent to be contenders for 5 years or so, before said talent leaves for 9-figure contracts and it's back to being basement dwellers again for half a decade.  What person, especially a young fan who hasn't grown up with baseball their whole life, would deal with that when there are so many more entertainment outlets available?

23 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Yup, baseball economics blows and if it doesn't get fixed it's really going to result in a huge drop off in fan support for MLB, especially in the small market towns (like Baltimore) which are currently reduced to sucking big fat rhinoceros balls for 5 - 7 years to accumulate enough young talent to be contenders for 5 years or so, before said talent leaves for 9-figure contracts and it's back to being basement dwellers again for half a decade.

The economics of baseball generally stink. However, a well run organization can mask a lot of that. Like in Tampa Bay's case - They routinely contend for playoff spots and have made it to the World Series with a lower payroll and poor fan support, on the backs of prudent financial decisions and tremendous investment besides free agency. 

The Orioles were not a well run organization between the late 1990's to late 2000s. One can argue that they weren't a well run organization during the contending years in the 90's as well.

MacFail did a lot for the organization just to put a floor in.  Duquette and Buck capitalized on a lot of that and built on it, but did not do enough to support an ongoing winner. Duq didn't draft all that well (though Rodriguez and Hall and a few others were on his watch). The team didn't do much internationally because of Angelos' discomfort with the shady practices in the DR, and analytics were an afterthought to a guy like Buck. (And Angelos was a barrier to all involved). 

The joy of hiring "the right guy" and turning over the reigns is what was truly necessary to build a winner. And it looks like our team has the right guy. 

• Like 1

Just a great season so far. Every realistic goal we had at the beginning of the year has been met regarding improvement in the standings, prospect development, contributions from the vets, team chemistry, adding to the prospect pipeline, and a noticeable bump in fan excitement. The only negative I can think of off the top of my head is Means' injury.

A playoff spot would be great, but I'm already satisfied. 

3 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

At the Four Seasons for the weekend and I’ll be attending my first O’s game since 1993 on Saturday.

Unfortunately weather forecast doesn't look too promising, but they might get the game in.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

4 in a row!

Kremer with a nice start, Perez and Bautista bring it home. 

5PM game today - which is the best game time you can get at OPACY. You can day drink and still make it home. You can go out after the game. You can take your kids and they won’t be crabby bungholes the next day. All Saturday games should be those 4:30/5PM games! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Gunnar Henderson is now Baseball America’s #1 prospect!

Rodriguez #4

Holliday 41

Hall 61

Cowser 97

Westburg 98

Graduating Rutschman and still the #1 system in the game.  Pretty amazing.  

I think Cowser shoots up higher at the end of the year and Norby is making noise, too.  Our infield prospects are stacked.

I would not be opposed to trading two of Santander/Mullins/Hays this off-season to make room for Cowser and Stowers next year.  

• Thumb up 1

This sucks. The got to Manoah and got him out of the game. Odor has made two boneheaded mistakes that have cost his team. Bichette hit his 2nd homer tonight off Baker and the Jays are up. 

I feel like we should be winning this game though. Manoah is great this year and we got to him. Hopefully they can get the offense going after the rain delay. 

I like Odor's swagger and late inning heroics but his overall production is terrible and if he can't play solid defense he's a liability.

Zach Pop, didn't know he was even on the Jays.  He was one of he players we got in the Machado trade.  Speaking of which, Rylan Bannon just got claimed by the Dodgers, and Yusniel Diaz got called up last week and had exactly one at-bat before being sent back down, and is unlikely to remain on the 40 after this year.   So it could be the only major league piece we got in that deal is going to be Dean Kremer, who's actually had a pretty good year after a disastrous 2021.  If he does remain a regular starter, I'd say that's not such a bad trade as quality starters are very difficult to come by. (The last player in that trade, Breyvic Valera, never evolved into a regular and is out of the majors)

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Speak of the devil, Odor homers and Os retake the lead.  Dang you Odor, we have to keep you now.

Edit: And then he manages to commit another error in the top of the 9th, which keeps the Jays alive.   Rougned Odor, please decide if you want to be on the Orioles roster or not.  Thanks.

Guerrero lines out, O's pull it off!

Edited by DCSaints_fan