Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

9 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Why get your QB… and then not maximize the roster when you do?

On the flip side...  If you have acquired a qb that you are confident can be successful for you, and he is only 29, and you have a roster of young talent that you want to keep together as best as possible, why would you go all in now if its at the expense of the long term?  You had mentioned pushing money into future years to win now, but I'd rather prioritize building the roster in the most cost efficient way so we would have Wentz in his early 30s, our young dline and Terry intact, and continuing to build the roster with solid drafting and value contracts.  If Wentz was mid 30s or older, I'd agree with you.  If we push money into the future, that means we don't have a shot to retain young/sweat/Payne/Terry.  I think we can, and when they peak together, and Wentz has a few years under his belt here, that's when we shift to win now mode.   Win now mode at this moment would only lead to inefficiency imo.  If young talent presents itself and we can get it on a reasonable contract, sure, go for it!  But don't force it to win now. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

You get Wentz one more deep receiving threat and enough OL depth and he’ll be more than fine this season.

As much as I like Logan Thomas Id add another tight end also, just don't know if Logan will be 100% at the start of the year or if he will be durable enough to last the season).

9 hours ago, TK said:

IMG_9835.jpeg.8271994c6898d0fd8f599dc0c70081f9.jpeg

Looks like the Ashburn McDonalds hired a new manager.

Ba da da da daaaaa he’s loving it

What's scary is that he said he already had that jacket in his closet.

• Thumb up 2

10 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

What's scary is that he said he already had that jacket in his closet.

I think it's cool that he deliberately dug that jacket out to have team colors on, or at least close to it.

He could have just warn any old suit and tie or worse yet had Snyder throw some Commanders jacket on and parade him out there like a team puppet but he chose to show team pride with something he already had.

Was it a good look, absolutely not.

Was it a nice gesture to the team and fans, definitely. 

• Like 9

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This could easlily be us.  While I like Heinicke over Darnold, it would have the same vibe if we were the Panthers right now. 

Re-entering this thread and catching up.

I also like Heinicke over Darnold.  (This statement might surprise @zCommander and @kingdaddy

At least TH is easy to root for.  He has a good story, he's a competitor, he absolutely tries his hardest.  Darnold comes off as just "meh" to "blah" in just about every scenario. And while he does have physical talent, he literally has no idea what the hell he's doing out there 80% of the time.  In a lot of ways, he's the anti-Taylor:  He has all the ability, but none of the intangibles or knowledge.  Whereas TH has the intangibles and football smarts (most of the time), but not enough physical ability. 

I'm not sure what the Panthers are going to do.  But they need a better solution. And I would take TH over Darnold. 

The one thing this almost dictates though, they WILL be taking a QB in the first round of the draft.  It's about the only option left to them.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The one thing this almost dictates though, they WILL be taking a QB in the first round of the draft.  It's about the only option left to them.

There's another option left: Washington has a QB on a not-bad contract. A lot of up-front money, but his last 2 years aren't guaranteed. If he's great, they got a keeper. If he's not, he makes for great trade bait for a team whose against the wall because of their QB search. If I were the Panthers, I'd trade a 1st and 2nd round pick for him.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TK said:

Who wore it better? 

This is literally the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture of Carson's suit.

While Deon gets the props for the 3 piece suit, a tie AND a picket square (with a funny 3 point fold), I think I give Carson the win since he incorporated both colors in a more balanced way. 

I will also say, I know there are a lot of jokes about the outfit, but I really actually appreciate him doing that.  Deon CHOSE to come here (granted, just for the money), knew what he was doing, always was trying to be in the spotlight, and was generally just a bigger than life personality.

Almost none of those descriptions apply to Wentz.  He had no choice to come here, he was traded, and he didn't have a no trade clause.  He's nowhere near the extrovert or attention seeker Deon is/was.  And while Carson is a BIG man, he's not a larger than life personality.  

And yet he completely leaned into the trade.  I would be interested to see if the team helped him with his wardrobe, or he came up with it himself.  Maybe a bit of both, but I'm sure he chose to wear it on purpose.  

He's leaning into the "Take Command" thing.  He answered questions honestly and took some responsibility.

I REALLY hope it works out.  He has all the talent in the world, even if it's a bit diminished due to injuries, but just from physical skills, he's probably somewhere in the 5-8 range of physically talented QBs.  (Mahomes, Allen, Watson, Lamar immediately come to mind as more physically gifted.  But I don't think you have to go TOO far down the list to get to Wentz. Which is, btw, why he was picked #2 overall.)

The biggest knock on him from a football standpoint is he doesn't know when a play is dead, and keeps trying to make a play, and gets himself into trouble.  He addressed that a bit, saying he needs to keep working on that, but know when he needs to make a play.  That was kindof music to my ears.  There's no reason for heroics in the first quarter of a tied game from your own 40.  You need heroics when you're down by 7 with 45 seconds left in the game and you need a play.  But I also don't want him to lose the side where he is willing to extend the play at any time.

One thing I do think works in the Commanders favor is they do have a QB coach who has a FANTASTIC reputation in Zampese.  As much as Reich is credited with Carson's development, I think the combination of Zampese and Scott Turner should be really good for Carson also. 

I'm going to choose to look at this as a positive until there's reason to look at it as a negative.  

I dunno why, but I REALLY liked the fact he wore the suit and leaned into the whole Commanders thing.  I know it actually means nothing in the end.  But I really like it.  

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

There's another option left: Washington has a QB on a not-bad contract. A lot of up-front money, but his last 2 years aren't guaranteed. If he's great, they got a keeper. If he's not, he makes for great trade bait for a team whose against the wall because of their QB search. If I were the Panthers, I'd trade a 1st and 2nd round pick for him.

Well, I see what you did there.  And if the Panthers WERE to offer a first and second for Wentz, I'd do that.  But they won't.

I'd trade TH to them for a 5th though. It would be an upgrade for them, he'd probably start for them, and we get a pick back.  We're drafting a QB anyway, we'd need to sign a couple more camp arms.  I'm pretty sure they wouldn't see that as a solution to their problems. 

My guess is they sign Mariota and draft a guy. Probably Willis. Maybe Winston.  But Winston just has that damn ACL he's coming off of, which makes him less appealing to a team who needs a day 1 starter.  

Another options would be Garopolo, but his trade market hasn't developed.  

• Like 1

Wentz isn't beating Aaron or Tom in the playoffs. Load up for a run in 22, it's bound to fail and we then suck  or another 5 years.

Stay on the current path.  I would love for them to trade down in both the first and second rounds.

We won't be able to sign everyone.  Going to have to pick and choose. Terry over any other receiver.  Chase over Sweat. Draft replacements for that can be developed to take over. Pittsburgh hasn't had a losing season underr Tomlin and they don't resign everyone.  They have replacements to take over.

If things, work out:

22- Wentz leads us to the playoffs and we win a playoff game.

23- Wentz takes us to championship game

Wentz may renegotiate soon, to give us cap room but it won't be a long term deal. He gets that long term deal; after the 23 season.

24- Wentz takes us to the Superbowl.  If we lose, we will win it in 25. If we win, good chance to repeat as champs.

If things don't work out:

Wentz is gone in 23. Ron and his gm crew is gone also. This is Ron's final shot. If have to move on from Wentz; the last thing I want is Ron and his gm crew to get a chance to draft a qb. Get a younger offensive coach, to draft that qb. Get him a good gm.

14 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Wentz isn't beating Aaron or Tom in the playoffs. Load up for a run in 22, it's bound to fail and we then suck  or another 5 years.

Stay on the current path.  I would love for them to trade down in both the first and second rounds.

We won't be able to sign everyone.  Going to have to pick and choose. Terry over any other receiver.  Chase over Sweat. Draft replacements for that can be developed to take over. Pittsburgh hasn't had a losing season underr Tomlin and they don't resign everyone.  They have replacements to take over.

If things, work out:

22- Wentz leads us to the playoffs and we win a playoff game.

23- Wentz takes us to championship game

Wentz may renegotiate soon, to give us cap room but it won't be a long term deal. He gets that long term deal; after the 23 season.

24- Wentz takes us to the Superbowl.  If we lose, we will win it in 25. If we win, good chance to repeat as champs.

If things don't work out:

Wentz is gone in 23. Ron and his gm crew is gone also. This is Ron's final shot. If have to move on from Wentz; the last thing I want is Ron and his gm crew to get a chance to draft a qb. Get a younger offensive coach, to draft that qb. Get him a good gm.

lol Aaron just lost to Jimmy G and Tom likely loses to TH last season if Gibson and Terry are healthy. would wentz be an underdog absolutely but to say he couldnt beat them in the playoffs is just inaccurate.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Re-entering this thread and catching up.

I also like Heinicke over Darnold.  (This statement might surprise @zCommander and @kingdaddy

At least TH is easy to root for.  He has a good story, he's a competitor, he absolutely tries his hardest.  Darnold comes off as just "meh" to "blah" in just about every scenario. And while he does have physical talent, he literally has no idea what the hell he's doing out there 80% of the time.  In a lot of ways, he's the anti-Taylor:  He has all the ability, but none of the intangibles or knowledge.  Whereas TH has the intangibles and football smarts (most of the time), but not enough physical ability. 

I'm not sure what the Panthers are going to do.  But they need a better solution. And I would take TH over Darnold. 

Agree with you  on Darnold. But they will not take a QB in the 1st round as that would be pretty stupid after getting Wentz and who is seen more than just one year gap stop. In the event Wentz wheels fall of during the season then you go get a QB next year. You could get a QB as a camp fodder in the draft but way later in the rounds. You don't have a 3rd and you need OL, MLB, DB, WR, TE. If they really want to draft a QB then you do it in the 6th round - maybe there is a "Brady" there, wishful thinking of course. You can always get a QB off of someone's practice squad as well. 

3 hours ago, zCommander said:

Agree with you  on Darnold. But they will not take a QB in the 1st round as that would be pretty stupid after getting Wentz and who is seen more than just one year gap stop. In the event Wentz wheels fall of during the season then you go get a QB next year. You could get a QB as a camp fodder in the draft but way later in the rounds. You don't have a 3rd and you need OL, MLB, DB, WR, TE. If they really want to draft a QB then you do it in the 6th round - maybe there is a "Brady" there, wishful thinking of course. You can always get a QB off of someone's practice squad as well. 

I meant the Panthers would take a QB in the first round.  

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

Thing is, if the Panthers don't at least go deep in the PO, Rhule probably should be fired.

He's has zero QB's to work with.  If Darnold truly is worse than Heinicke (he probably is), and the decision to trade for and do the 5th year option on Darnold was all Rhule, then yeah.  Otherwise it's hard to fault a coach when you've got a disaster at the most important position that's the FO's fault and not yours.

10 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

He's has zero QB's to work with.  If Darnold truly is worse than Heinicke (he probably is), and the decision to trade for and do the 5th year option on Darnold was all Rhule, then yeah.  Otherwise it's hard to fault a coach when you've got a disaster at the most important position that's the FO's fault and not yours.

Doesn't matter whether its the coach's fault or not, the reason is not relevant. The best predictor that a HC will fail is one that doesn't have a winning season in his first three years, If the HC has 10 or more losses in his first two years, the likelihood he will never be good for the that team, unless he has huge success in his third year, approaches certainty.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Doesn't matter whether its the coach's fault or not, the reason is not relevant. The best predictor that a HC will fail is one that doesn't have a winning season in his first three years, If the HC has 10 or more losses in his first two years, the likelihood he will never be good for the that team, unless he has huge success in his third year, approaches certainty.

Oh ok, my bad.  Thought you saying he should be fired versus stats suggest he would be fired. 

9 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

okay so let Tom beat Aaron in the second round.  Carson can get us to the NFC championship, then take an extra week off while Taylor beats Tom and then Carson gets his job back for the Super Bowl

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Keim has an article on ESPN today, this excerpt was interesting to me, its why you have to take what you hear from the media with a grain of salt.

During the search, Rivera said he received a balanced scouting report on all facets of Wentz. He talked to Doug Pederson and Frank Reich, two of Wentz's former head coaches. Both praised Wentz, extolling his work ethic and saying he wants to please people.

"It was very interesting," Rivera said of what he heard. "When you talk to certain people, talk to some coaches he's had in the past that I know well and listen to what they have to say, it was contradictory to what was happening."

Rivera said the first call he received after the trade was from Reich.

"Frank was tremendous," Rivera said. "After we made the trade, he said, 'You're gonna love this guy ... He's been a good person first and foremost, I want you to know that.' My intention was to reach out to him but he called to congratulate me."

After the trade, Rivera had one more conversation with Gibbs, who happened to be in Washington for an event. Rivera said the first thing he told Gibbs was this:

"We got our guy.'"

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33537678/how-joe-gibbs-film-study-analytics-led-commanders-carson-wentz

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3