Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

27 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

SpaceX has received roughly 4.9B in subsidies from the US government.

Far far far less than other defense contractors. And they have actually delivered more in the same timeframe.

boeing has received 11 billion for development on its Orion space launch system and it still isn’t sending astronauts to the ISS… in the mean time space x, well, you know… is.

context it up…

looks like there is another dos attack this morning, citi and wellsfargo both down….

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Far far far less than other defense contractors. And they have actually delivered more in the same timeframe.

boeing has received 11 billion for development on its Orion space launch system and it still isn’t sending astronauts to the ISS… in the mean time space x, well, you know… is.

Soviet-style whataboutism isn’t really a good look for you…or anybody.

Edited by TradeTheBeal!
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2022 at 4:44 PM, MrSilverMaC said:

I mentioned that a couple of months ago.

I think that’s why china stopped their saber rattling.

They got loud after pelosi’s visit to Taiwan then all of a sudden calmed down as Ukraine started to prevail.

Apparently North Korea hasn’t figured it out yet, though.

This is grim to say but I guess if you’re just a warlord in Asia, Africa, or South America and all you’re doing is slaughtering unarmed civilians, russian stuff is good enough, so there is a market for their weapons.

Any country seriously thinking about protecting itself from another military power would have to look elsewhere.

China has built its own stuff for decades now, with some notable exceptions (fighter jet engines, but they're working on it)

Russia deserves what they have coming to them, probably even it’s citizens, to some extent, but I do wonder that a collapsed Russia means for the world in terms of obviously the nuclear weapons they possess, but also in terms of  the 150 million people who may loose basic services provided by a functioning government. How much loss can the Russian military and economy take before people their shots at the current government? 

it’s not going well.

I know the USSR failed and that wasn’t a complete disaster. That was before my time but my impression is that it was a peaceful perhaps even planned transition… it feels like once the wheels fallout from Putin their will be a huge vacuum and no clear “better” alternative to take his place….. seems like it could fractionalize Russia. 

2 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

China has built its own stuff for decades now, with some notable exceptions (fighter jet engines, but they're working on it)

Saying china builds their own stuff as if it was Chinese-conceived/designed is misleading.

The stuff that they build in-house is mostly russian knock-offs with a smattering of stuff they’ve stolen from us.

There are still plenty of russian-made sukhois in their Air Force and would likely be the work horse for them in any conflict.

I have serious doubts that China has developed any of their air-to-air weapons and that those are all directly sourced/copied from russia especially given how many sukhois they field.

While they are working on their own engines they’ve been unsuccessful for a while and still rely on underpowered russian tech which is the basis for their own attempts and are what power stuff like the chengdu.

Their primary infantry rifle is a kalashnikov variant still using 7.62 x 39.

It does look like they have been making their own tanks for a while and have taken what they think works from a bunch of different sources, but I wouldn’t expect them to hold up well against Western anti-tank weapons.

I couldn’t speak to their navy, though I know they’ve recently completed their first aircraft carrier.

I would say given those facts, our ability to project force, and that air power has been the deciding factor in almost every modern battle my guess that their sudden reduction in acting tough after watching the originator of most of the tech/equipment their military would use in any war against us/the West is probably not far from the truth.

Watching russia lose more than 200 jets,  2k tanks, and 60k troops in 8 months against a military hastily given Western weaponry can’t inspire them with any confidence in going against the originator of that weaponry and a military that has trained and built its doctrine/tactics around that weaponry and has recent extensive experience.

Edited by MrSilverMaC
Goofy typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Russia probably won't disintegrate as the USSR did because its leaders, even post-Putin, will not allow it.  The area of the federation that is actually populated by ethnic Russians is a strip of land going from St Petersburg down through south of Moscow.  It has no defensible borders, which is why Russia has always been obsessed with expanding its territory, so that conquered lands can serve as a buffer against potential invasions. 

In modern times, none of the Russian federation's natural resources come from within the Russian republic  All the oil, natural gas, uranium, mineral deposits, etc. come from republics within the federation where non-Russians make up the majority of the population. And yet, these regions are impoverished as all the profits from these resources are siphoned off to either Moscow or St. Petersburg. To let these regions break off would mean a catastrophic loss of wealth for ethnic Russians, so they'll use any means necessary to keep them subjugated - a step Gorbachev was unwilling to make to preserve the USSR.

• Thumb up 2

‘The hell with it’: Elon Musk says SpaceX will fund Starlink internet in Ukraine

Elon Musk on Saturday announced that his company would continue to pay for Starlink satellite internet in war-torn Ukraine, a day after suggesting he could not keep funding the project.

“The hell with it,” the world’s richest man wrote on Twitter. “Even though Starlink is still losing money & other companies are getting billions of taxpayer $, we’ll just keep funding Ukraine govt for free.”

Musk had said on Friday that SpaceX would not be able to pay for Starlink in Ukraine indefinitely, as the US military confirmed it was communicating with the billionaire’s company about funding for the key network.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 2

44 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

My goodness! Do you think he’ll be able to make his rent payment this month? What a selfless soul. Going broke to help others. 

I would think that he had to pay billions, to get it up there.  And his operating costs are trivial, in comparison.  But I am NOT a rocket scientist.  

Mobilization seems to be going well:

Russia: 11 shot dead by two volunteer soldiers in attack at military firing range, defence ministry says

Two volunteer soldiers fired at other troops on Saturday at a Russian military firing range, killing 11 and wounding 15, the country’s defence ministry said.

The shooting took place in the Belgorod region in southwestern Russia that borders Ukraine, according to officials.

The ministry, which described the shootings as a terror attack, said two volunteers from an unnamed former Soviet nation fired on other soldiers during target practice before being killed by return fire. The recruits were being trained to fight in Ukraine.

“During a firearms training session with individuals who voluntarily expressed a desire to participate in the special military operation, the terrorists opened fire with small arms on the personnel of the unit,” RIA, the state-owned domestic news agency, cited a defence ministry statement as saying.

The shooting comes during a divisive mobilisation ordered by Vladimir Putin to beef up Russian forces in Ukraine – a move that triggered protests and caused hundreds of thousands to flee Russia.

Click on the link for the full article

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Certainly more than you’re doing for instance… even if you use ratios….

That's probably true. However, I didn't make my donations with the ROI in mind so that's gotta count for something. After all, is it really philanthropy if you're just angling to get yet another govt. contract so you can turn a profit in the end? I'll leave you to it.

Here’s what we know about the attacks on Kyiv.

At least three people were killed in Kyiv, the Ukrainian capital, when Russia attacked the city early Monday morning with explosive Iranian-made drones, officials said, as Moscow continued its campaign of strikes against Ukrainian energy infrastructure and civilian targets even as it faces significant setbacks on the battlefield.

Vitaly Klitschko, the mayor of Kyiv, said that a young couple who were expecting a child were among the dead pulled from the rubble of a residential building on Monday. The woman was six months pregnant. Two more people were trapped and 18 others were wounded in the blasts in central Kyiv, according to Ukraine’s State Emergency Service.

The attacks came during morning rush hour, one week after Moscow unleashed a missile barrage on Kyiv and other cities across the country that left at least 20 people dead. While Monday’s strikes were less deadly — employing Iranian-made drones known as “kamikazes” that explode on impact and are easier to shoot down — they again struck fear into Ukrainians far from the front lines and signaled Russia’s aim of crippling power and other key services as winter looms.

Mr. Klitschko said that 28 drones were spotted over the city, with five strikes reported. The targets included the headquarters of Ukraine’s national energy utility and a municipal heating station.

In other developments:

• Russia’s strikes also hit an electrical substation in southern Ukraine, again cutting power to the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, officials said. The plant’s backup diesel generators switched on, according to a statement from the Ukrainian nuclear energy company, Energoatom
  • Russian troops and military aircraft have begun arriving in Belarus to form a new joint Russia-Belarus force, in a replay of the Russian buildup that preceded the invasion of Ukraine in February.
  • More than a dozen explosions attributed to Ukrainian shelling hit Belgorod, a Russian region next to Ukraine, on Sunday, a day after two men opened fire on their fellow Russian soldiers at a training camp in Belgorod, killing 11 before being shot dead.