Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does today feel like an end?

Burgold

8 hours ago, Dan T. said:

I'll admit it. I'm excited to see the new unis. But I won't be rushing out to buy new gear.  I'm okay if it's Commanders. I'll be shocked if it isn't.  Kinda meh, but it could be worse.

That's where I'm at with this whole thing. 

None of the names proposed on the list that were the last 20-30 names given were worth a name change.

Boring name.  Washington Football Team sounded better.  I thought that sounded boring two years ago.  Time will tell how this name sticks.  It does seem sad to lose the Redskins but change was inevitable.  I'm too old now to be excited about the new name one way or another.  18 years ago when I first joined this site, I soaked up anything Redskins.  Burgold, I was there with the names you mentioned.  It indeed was a different community then.  Ultimately, winning cures everything and that is what I hope happens soon.

• Like 2

Yes. It does. 

i get (without having read the thread) there’s lots of people that think I’m dumb/silly/whatever for caring to that degree. 

but I do. And it’s not a choice. It’s a way you feel. And that’s the way I feel. I’d prefer not to feel this way. But I do. 

id rather the team not have a name. I’d rather redskins be retired. Not replaced.    Not like this. I’m perfectly fine being Washington forever. 

im almost 37 years old and I realize I sound like a child. Caring this much about a stupid sport. 

but I do. 

ironically I haven’t given much of a crap since they dumped redskins and became the Washington football team. Most of you probably have no idea who I am because I just quit posting here a while ago; I still post in the tailgate portably 5+ times a day for several years though… used to be a regular in the season tickets thread. I miss those days. 

Tonight I’m unhappy. 

i listened to someone ask: if next year they win the nfc conference championship, and in the postgame they’re announcing that the Washington commanders are going to the super bowl 

how does that feel?

like someone punched me in the stomach. That’s how it felt. Which is weird to acknowledge. A more rational thought would be: who gives a crap about the name, we’re going to the super bowl! Or something. 

the worst part is I personally feel like the name went out about as piss poor awful as possible. It went out in disgrace, confirmation of an argument I didn’t find to be accurate, forever mocking the efforts people like me put into saving it or championing in. 

interestingly enough it went out while the organization was trying to work its way out of a negative pr story that resulted in settled lawsuits, a Washington Post exposé, and a league investigation. oh yeah, and Congress had some questions. 

i mean what do you do when you run a brand into the ground? When no one will pay for your new stadium? Make a new brand. 

that’s how our Redskins lost their name.

what an embarrassment. 

Im honestly glad many fellow fans don’t feel that way at all. Cause this sucks. I don’t wish it on any of you. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, tshile said:

Im honestly glad many fellow fans don’t feel that way at all. Cause this sucks. I don’t wish it on any of you. 

I do. The difference with me is that I stopped caring about the sport before they changed the name, due to some of the reasons you gave and my own personal ones.

I love to wear my Redskins stuff everywhere and even got a new Redskins decal for my car a few months ago, just in hopes that someone sees it and gets offended. I enjoyed supporting Native Americans. More so than I would ever enjoy supporting any commanders. I guess I'm just a weird guy though.

**** it and them.

• Thumb up 1

I don’t see how you say a name doesn’t matter it absolutely matters grown men are crying because the Bengals are going to the super bowl, why did the give the expansion franchise back the Browns, because that name mattered to them. 

The only way I’ll be able to deal with this is the same way I have done since we became “football team” The Redskins and all it’s history are over and gone and this is a new team that’s taken it’s place it’s really the only way I can even watch and even that has been difficult….this team hasn’t been on my main TV screen on Sunday in 2 seasons part of that is the product but it’s mostly the name…I went to 3-4 games a year to watch the Redskins lose, I haven’t been to 1 Football team game 

May sound crazy, may sound immature, but I’m about out of fandom for this team…I enjoy football but I’ve enjoyed this Washington team being on the back burner and watching good teams play football and rooting for just good games, Chiefs Bills was one of the best games I’ve ever seen and I had zero dog in the fight and it was great to see just two awesome teams battle it out. 

face it it’s over….a new coat of paint isn’t bringing it back 

• Like 2

@Hdf561

i basically right there with you. I inherited season tickets from the 60’s. I grew up going to games. They were mine for Gibbs II and beyond. I watched a lot of ****ty football. I sat in the stands when we played in an ice storm and Kansas City ran 50 punts/kickoffs for TDs against us. I’ve personally seen more home blowout losses in prime time (that require taking off work at noon and still sitting in traffic to get to the stadium) than I bet most teams even have in the last 20 years. 

you know what’s worse than watching the eagles beat the piss out of us on Monday night in person? Doing it in the rain 😂 

i grew up playing football in the grass fields of RFK and pissing in the Anacostia river. My dad and grandad packing my jacket full of bags of peanuts and then each carrying a camping pump thermos full of beer. I was at the last rfk home game. On the way home we stopped by other season ticket holders houses to see what they took from the stadium. I was like 10, or something, listening to grown ass men talk about a 8”x8” piece of grass in a plastic bag and whether or not it would keep longer in the freezer.  

i dropped my tickets because my son became 3 and no longer eligible for a lap pass. A client of mine purchased them for the 2 seasons after that, and then I couldn’t find anyone that wanted them. I couldn’t spend 1 if the only 2 whole days I get my kids doing it anymore. So I gave them up. 

Which was blow #1. Im sorry but nothing beats football in person. Nothing. Our tails are was like a second family. Our section, the few regulars that still existed, was like a third. I’ve got phone numbers in my phone for people I’ve literally only talked to in person at FedEx Field… but we called each other. 

Blow # 2 was the name. Combined with the scandal. And the overall just piss poor man ferment of the team. 

i don’t think I’ve watched a full game in 4 years now. 

i used to go to the preseason games. Now I can’t even justify watching a regular season game from the couch. 

:( 

• Thumb up 1

I am trying to figure out what to do with my "racist" tattoo 😉. Maybe I'll  get a tattoo artist to put an army hat on his head to merger the commander thing in there and inject some humour.  When I got that tattoo 30 years ago it was on my 18th birthday. I was so ****ing proud walking out of that shop representing the squad. The artist first put the outline of a Blackhawks logo on my shoulder and thank God he let me see the placement before he started. Lucky for me I had my Skins hat and he used the hat to trace the outline. I never thought for a second it would someday be considered racist. The name, on the other hand, I always felt had potential to offend and I recognize that times have changed in that regard. I wanted it so badly to be Wolves but it looks like we are going the vanilla route. I wont stop supporting the franchise because they can change the name but they cant change our memories of the good days.... Or the bad days because we have been all stocked up with them too!

Forever HAIL!

35 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

I'm a little surprised @zskins hasnt started a drunken insomniac thread for the rebrand.

Not that I'd be able to make it...been awake near 40 hours.  So no insomnia tonight.  Just drinking...lots and lots of drinking.  I dont want to become a commander sober.

Don't think anyone is excited to stay up all night so they can celebrate the reveal of the Commanders...lol

digital camo is hideous, get outta here with that.

This isn't about today being the end, it's about the last 2 years (really before the name change.)  As someone pointed out, Cleveland kept the Browns for a reason.  Your name means something, even if someone changes it or becomes known by something else as a nickname, that all means something. It's part of your identity. It may be the first step in recognizing yourself in a conscious and intelligent way that you are you. When your child first respond to their own name, that is the start of their identity.  But ultimately, this is different, it's a corporation and I guess some people will get used to it. If you grow up in the DC area, I guess it makes sense for them to be your team. But if you've moved or never lived there, what is keeping you tied to this team? I don't think I'll ever root for another team, I'll just be a fan of specific moments or players.

Commanders will be proof that no one with a brain had any input on the name, or that they were not valued enough. Commanders is another tone-deaf, corny, out of touch, obsequious gesture no different than what gave rise to it or really, even some of Dan Snyder's seemingly more heartfelt gestures after tragedies---it's all a front. I don't even know if Dan realizes it entirely being who he is, but he is fundamentally inauthentic, spiteful, an ignoble man and this choice of name (if true) really puts his stamp on the team. As someone who doesn't think all of these changes are just about Washington, its previous name, or even the NFL, I still feel comfortable saying:

This is Dan Snyder's Washington football team. It's not yours anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Just got told by a Cowboys fan friend that someone called us the ComMandilorians.

This is great.

Hey, Mando didn’t survive the great purge, save America’s child Grogu, and set on the path to reclaim Mandalore just to have his name and reputation get dragged through the dirt being randomly associated with this **** franchise. 

2 hours ago, petey hodge said:

this is only way I can accept the new nickname...

The Lord Commander

Jorah Mormont | Wiki | Thrones Amino

Appropriate to use a character from a show that also ended in total disgrace and outright feverish hatred from its own fan base

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tshile said:

Yes. It does. 

i get (without having read the thread) there’s lots of people that think I’m dumb/silly/whatever for caring to that degree. 

but I do. And it’s not a choice. It’s a way you feel. And that’s the way I feel. I’d prefer not to feel this way. But I do. 

id rather the team not have a name. I’d rather redskins be retired. Not replaced.    Not like this. I’m perfectly fine being Washington forever. 

im almost 37 years old and I realize I sound like a child. Caring this much about a stupid sport. 

but I do. 

ironically I haven’t given much of a crap since they dumped redskins and became the Washington football team. Most of you probably have no idea who I am because I just quit posting here a while ago; I still post in the tailgate portably 5+ times a day for several years though… used to be a regular in the season tickets thread. I miss those days. 

Tonight I’m unhappy. 

i listened to someone ask: if next year they win the nfc conference championship, and in the postgame they’re announcing that the Washington commanders are going to the super bowl 

how does that feel?

like someone punched me in the stomach. That’s how it felt. Which is weird to acknowledge. A more rational thought would be: who gives a crap about the name, we’re going to the super bowl! Or something. 

the worst part is I personally feel like the name went out about as piss poor awful as possible. It went out in disgrace, confirmation of an argument I didn’t find to be accurate, forever mocking the efforts people like me put into saving it or championing 

this is 100 percent me. Tomorrow is going to be a funeral for this franchise in my eyes. 

it is ridiculous but that is how I feel 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

It Feels like Rock Bottom for this franchise, instead of what it should feel like, a new dawn. 

Same here .

I was a redskins fan . The only thing that kept me even supporting Dan at all the last 10 Years was his saying he will never change the name. Well he did and I despise him for destroying the only thing that everyone in dc could Love.

• Like 1