Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

15 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Eagles gave up a lot for a 32 year old that has this change from last season:

2021 - 18.5 sacks and 22 QB hits in 16 games

2022 - 1 sack and 3 QB hits in 7 games

I guess stats don't tell the whole story if the Eagles still want him.

That is quite the disparity. Hopefully he keeps up his 2022 pace throughout the duration of this season and future seasons, if he remains in Philthadelphia.

11 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

Turning a 1st into a 3rd and 6th is Bruce territory.

I’m not looking at that from a Giants perspective. Who cares what they do.

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Eagles got Quinn as a rotational edge rusher. Not even a starter, for a day three pick and no salary the same week that we find out Chase may not be back for a while.

I think you’re overplaying the Quinn move to be honest. It’s a solid move in isolation though. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

on Sportrac I cut Wentz, Jackson, Norwell,  McCain and McKissic  and got us to almost 44.5 million available

McC and McK are small fries considering the roles they play for their cap hit. The juice may not even be worth the squeeze unless you need roster spots at their positions cuz your not getting a lot of cash back from moving on. If your looking to make some real space beyond the others you mentioned I'd eyeball:

-Chase Roullier - He is staring down a 12.8M cap hit next year. Normal cutting him would be a 5.1M dead cap but a 7.7M savings. 13M is a lot to pay a center coming off injuries in back to back years, even one as good as him.

-Logan Thomas - Set to make 8.7M. Cutting him would lose us 3.5 but save 5.2. This move would be largely dependent on both how he and our TE corps look over the rest of the year. Right now we are paying him not to play and I'm still not sure he can get back to previous heights, but he also may be the only thing you have at TE on the roster making him untouchable unless somebody else in the group steps things up.

-New deal for Sweat -  He is staring down a 11.5M cap hit next year. A new deal will likely see a year one hit similar to Allen and Terry around 7 Mil, saving millions this year.

or

-Trade Sweat. Even if you don't get a strong return, lets say a 4th rounder, your getting 11.5M in straight cap space. If you do get a high return... you get that plus money.

-Joey Slye can be cut for 500K and save 2 Mil... that bears watching

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Payne, Holcomb, Schweitzer, Heinicke. Depends on your definition "significant" I suppose. 

Fair point, could have phrased that as ‘don’t have many’ instead of ‘don’t have any’ depending on your individual perspective of those players.

20 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m not looking at that from a Giants perspective. Who cares what they do.

I think you’re overplaying the Quinn move to be honest. It’s a solid move in isolation though. 

Quinn also voided his next two years of his contract, so not only are they getting him for a 4rth and only paying $700k for him, they are going to get a comp pick next year when he walks. 

It's a solid move regardless.

50 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Quinn also voided his next two years of his contract, so not only are they getting him for a 4rth and only paying $700k for him, they are going to get a comp pick next year when he walks. 

It's a solid move regardless.

Pretty sure comp picks aren’t awarded for unrestricted free agents who have actively reduced the maximum length of their agreed deal, voidable years included. They don’t qualify under the terms of the 2020 CBA.

I think that is the case anyway.

• Like 1

Trading Gibson is the exact type of think Rivera would do, convinced he can plug someone else in and get results.  It would backfire in a big way because when hes not fumbling hes a top back in the NFL, but it would be so reminiscent of letting the likes of Scherff and Moses go thinking they are just replicable.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’d say Gibson is expendable, I’d listen to offers. Would still want a decent trade return though. 

Based on what?  A few games of Robinson, who's looked ok? Personally, I see them as an Ingram/Kamara tandem.  I don't think we've really figured Gibson out.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Based on what?  A few games of Robinson, who's looked ok? Personally, I see them as an Ingram/Kamara tandem.  I don't think we've really figured Gibson out.  

I’m not as high on him as others to be honest, good player, would depend on the offer really. We are paying JD Mc decent money to fill that role.

5 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Trading Gibson is the exact type of think Rivera would do, convinced he can plug someone else in and get results.  It would backfire in a big way because when hes not fumbling hes a top back in the NFL, but it would be so reminiscent of letting the likes of Scherff and Moses go thinking they are just replicable.

Funny, I was thinking the opposite. That we are never sellers at the trade deadline when we’re bad because our win-now FO inevitably values keeping a player we probably won’t re-sign, to add at most .5-1.5 extra wins or whatever, rather than selling them while they’ve still got trade value. A never-ending cycle of valuing the next 8+ games over smart long-term asset management. 

I agree Robinson and Gibson (and McKissic) make a great 1-2 (-3) punch, although I wish Turner were more creative with them. We just aren’t set up to take advantage of that in a way that matters before Gibson leaves for like a 4th-5th round comp pick at best anyways. But we always value the mediocre now over the idea of planning for later. That’s what you get giving final say to a coach, obviously. 

• Like 4

Would much rather see them keep AG.Why not re-sign him? He should be affordable. I think he is the most complete back on the team in only his third year as a running back. He has been under used so far this season.Really like McK also but feel like Gibson is more valuable. Robinson looks ok so far but has a ways to go in my opinion.

Edited by Tarpon75

12 minutes ago, Conn said:

Funny, I was thinking the opposite. That we are never sellers at the trade deadline when we’re bad because our win-now FO inevitably values keeping a player we probably won’t re-sign, to add at most .5-1.5 extra wins or whatever, rather than selling them while they’ve still got trade value. A never-ending cycle of valuing the next 8+ games over smart long-term asset management. 

I agree Robinson and Gibson (and McKissic) make a great 1-2 (-3) punch, although I wish Turner were more creative with them. We just aren’t set up to take advantage of that in a way that matters before Gibson leaves for like a 4th-5th round comp pick at best anyways. But we always value the mediocre now over the idea of planning for later. That’s what you get giving final say to a coach, obviously. 

Yup

I'm as high on Gibby as anybody, but if people came knocking on our door to get him, you could have probably started a bidding war for his services. Dude has 1 more year left on his contract and I have no intention of paying RBs the amount of money it will take to retain him. If your gonna sell, now is the time.

RB is one of the easiest positions to fill, and you don't need super high end assets to do it either. You can get stopgaps off the street for nothing and be OK. Late round rookie and UDFA RBs can step in and massively contribute day 1. Unless you have something truly special, there is no reason to spend money that does not need to be spent.

I wuv me some Gibby but if I saw a 3rd and a 5th on the table he's probably a ghost.

I said it in the offseason Gibby, B-Rob and McK is an incredible backfield. Between the three you have at least two guys with the skills to do everything you want to at the position. I'm not surprised people are looking at our situation and sniffing around Gibby.

Loyalty to your players is generally a good thing, but here it hurts the team.

• Like 1