Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think they end up picking up another OL and cut Martin after the teams make their final cuts, at least I hope so.  Martin never showed the steady potential to play OG, I don't think.  

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Talk that LV 2021 OL first rounder Alex Leatherwood may be on the bubble to get dumped or traded. Worth a low cost look as depth/development?

Remember how smug Mike Mayock was after that pick was made, making fun of all the draft fans who considered him a major reach in the middle of the first round?

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

Remember how smug Mike Mayock was after that pick was made, making fun of all the draft fans who considered him a major reach in the middle of the first round?

I really liked Leatherwood coming out of Alabama. What’s the knock on him?

Could we bring him in as a guard?

Edited by Rex Tomb

7 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

I'd take Matsko over Callahan anyway. Matsko has done more with less than Callahan ever thought of doing 

HTTR!

Just hope Matsko doesn't have retirement plans anytime in the near future.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

I really liked Leatherwood coming out of Alabama. What’s the knock on him?

Could we bring him in as a guard?

If I recall correctly he was never very good in pass protection, good run blocker. I think he played some G in Alabama

1 hour ago, SkinsWmsbg said:

Wish we could get Callahan back.  He made Erik Flowers look like a pro bowler.

Matsko is one of the best position coaches in the game and we're lucky to have him.

And as a bonus he was given his first shot in the nfl as an offensive line coach in 1992 by Joe bugel when he was the head coach of the cardinals so there's ties to the hogs.

His unit is one of the few bright spots we've had in a long time.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Just can't quit Wes Martin apparently

He's most likely going to get cut again.  But he's a body who knows the system, so he has value there.  

Bring him in, see if he's developed any while he wasn't here, and then if he still is going backwards on ice skates, cut him again.  

They needed another interior body with Trai Turner still not ready and Larsen to the PUP.  

Chris Paul might be something, but we'll see. 

I don't mind the signing, especially since he could be here a whopping 1 week. 

4 hours ago, SkinsWmsbg said:

Wish we could get Callahan back.  He made Erik Flowers look like a pro bowler.

I know you already got crushed for this, but did you just not tune in last year when we had 3rd-4th string interior OL playing just fine due to Matsko? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DWinzit said:

If I recall correctly he was never very good in pass protection, good run blocker. I think he played some G in Alabama

I think LV have played him at G too, for whatever reason he’s having a very rough time. I dare say being considerably over drafted in the first hasn’t helped him as that kind of pressure factors into everyone’s expectations, his own included.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Conn said:

I know you already got crushed for this, but did you just not tune in last year when we had 3rd-4th string interior OL playing just fine due to Matsko? 

Yes and I also seen Erik Flowers take a step back or even a Olympic long jump in the opposite direction without Callahan.  However I think one of the best decisions we ever made was letting Trent Wiliams go as it's not hard for us to find plug n Play players on the OL it seems.  Leno is proven to be a solid cheaper replacement. 

4 hours ago, SkinsWmsbg said:

However I think one of the best decisions we ever made was letting Trent Wiliams go as it's not hard for us to find plug n Play players on the OL it seems.  Leno is proven to be a solid cheaper replacement. 

Yes, letting go of the best LT in football for like a 5th rounder or whatever was a great decision. /sarcasm 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It's interesting they brought back Martin and not Flowers.  I don't know that it's important.  But it is interesting.  

Guessing it's a money thing. Flowers would also want to start (not that I mind that) however we already picked up two starting guards in FA.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yes, letting go of the best LT in football for like a 5th rounder or whatever was a great decision. /sarcasm 

Well, I'm not sure the team really had a decision to make.  Trent went full scorched earth and made it clear as day he was not going to play here again, so, eh, away he went.

It's crazy he went for a 3rd.  But, on the other hand, he basically had said he wanted QB money, and only a few teams wanted to trade something and then pay him the largest OL contract in the history of the NFL.  

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It's interesting they brought back Martin and not Flowers.  I don't know that it's important.  But it is interesting.  

They're really different things though, aren't they? Martin was claimed off waivers, probably on a minimal salary with little chance to actually make the final 53. Flowers is likely asking for much more money and a clear path to playing time.

Rivera is the first regime to resign 2 of our own home grown talented players at fair and reasonable deals that I can remember. Both Allen and McClaurin got deals that didn't overpay or underpay. Our fans are used to assuming we have to set the market every time we resign one of our own, but that trend has been breaking. This could mean we end up keeping more of our own than previously expected possible.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Rivera is the first regime to resign 2 of our own home grown talented players at fair and reasonable deals that I can remember. Both Allen and McClaurin got deals that didn't overpay or underpay. Our fans are used to assuming we have to set the market every time we resign one of our own, but that trend has been breaking. This could mean we end up keeping more of our own than previously expected possible.

If they perform but they have to be coached up.  

12 hours ago, IrepDC said:

I won't go that far. Williams and Kerrigan were re-signed, Dunbar was a great find and Matt I. Orakpo was given the franchise but wanted too much. 

I will say that we've seen a stream of talented but not elite players leave here (Crowder, Morris, Kelley, Breeland, Smith). These players were good but not great but we tried to find better quickly instead of developing them.