Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That said, I DO think Jack came into the year with a BAD PLAN in the secondary, because they switched up too much of what was working.  They kicked Fuller inside and that screwed with him, they benched Kurl for no particularly good reason, played Collins way more than they should have, and asked WJIII to play differently than he had in the past.  That was from the get-go, not even after they figured out the DL was struggling.

I generally support them but my God, I think Jack had a bad start to the year.  

I mean a coaches job is to analyze talent and get the right players as well as put those players in to the right position to succeed.  D staff missed on all of those... thats what i call incompetence.

1. They played Collins as a safety even though everyone and their mother knew he cant cover a 3rd grader. in fact previous coaching staff learned just that, yet they thought things changed?

2. they cant get much production out of D line with four 1st rd picks.

3. they kept Kurl off the field 

4. They wasted a 1st rd pick on LB that cant play MLB snd should have been drafted in the 3rd

I was hoping they would get some new D coaches this season... but there weren't any ex-Carolina d coaches available (sarcasm)

Edited by oraphus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

If true, I'm gonna guess that Bradberry wants another big contract.

You got it, HigSkin. :) This is one former Panther that I don't think signs here.  We would have to reshuffle a contract or two by the looks of things only way that happens is when/if we redo Terry McLaurin's new contract.  I'd expect us to be putting $$$ into a LB as RR has stated and that won't be much.  Plus,. we have to sign the rest of our draft picks and have a reserve for FAs in case starters get hurt.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This is what burns me up about the way they used WJ3 early in the year. He is a press corner. He has always been a press corner. So what does our coaching staff do? Sign him and stick him in zone. It made absolutely no sense at all. 

Going deeper though into that.  As Keim mentioned they wanted to play more man in 2021 from the previous season and that was part of the reason why they acquired Jackson.  And they did.  They moved from being next to last in reps at man coverage the season before to top 10 in reps at man coverage earlier in the season but Jackson struggled in BOTH man and zone early on. 

According to Keim, their defense's emergence coincided with the return of playing more zone alas the previous year and if I recall Jackson actually had a higher PFF grade playing zone than he did man last season.

So at least following Keim, the whole narrative end up a bit twisted including Jackson stinking early on no matter what coverage he played in. 

I buy that narrative because I was at training camp and granted Terry isn't easy to cover one on one but the local media was jazzed to see that play out in camp as i did.  Terry beyond just owned Jackson, it was an absolute joke watching Jackson trying to keep pace with Terry, it wasn't even close.   It was comical. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Going deeper though into that.  As Keim mentioned they wanted to play more man in 2021 from the previous season and that was part of the reason why they acquired Jackson.  And they did.  They moved from being next to last in reps at man coverage the season before to top 10 in reps at man coverage earlier in the season but Jackson struggled in BOTH man and zone early on. 

According to Keim, their defense's emergence coincided with the return of playing more zone alas the previous year and if I recall Jackson actually had a higher PFF grade playing zone than he did man last season.

So at least following Keim, the whole narrative end up a bit twisted including Jackson stinking early on no matter what coverage he played in. 

I buy that narrative because I was at training camp and granted Terry isn't easy to cover one on one but the local media was jazzed to see that play out in camp as i did.  Terry beyond just owned Jackson, it was an absolute joke watching Jackson trying to keep pace with Terry, it wasn't even close.   It was comical. 

If things don't improve or they want to move on from WJIII they have an out after this season:

William Jackson Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

POTENTIAL OUT: 2023, 2 YR, $27,468,750; $9,000,000 DEAD CAP

You can never have enough corners and it’s not a particularly strong group for us.  To me though, Bradberry only makes (some degree of) sense if they are letting Fuller walk after this year, or are thinking about cutting Jackson next year.  You can structure a 3-4 year contract with a lower hit this year to fit him (Bradberry).

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think a lot of it had to do with communication on the back end as well and of course playing Landon out of position. The entire secondary improved with landons switch. I know we like to beat up on Mccain but Mccain actually played fairly well down the stretch next to Curl vs being next to Landon

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I think a lot of it had to do with communication on the back end as well and of course playing Landon out of position. The entire secondary improved with landons switch. I know we like to beat up on Mccain but Mccain actually played fairly well down the stretch next to Curl vs being next to Landon

I agree about McCain however am I the only one that think he is just super small?  The guy just looks so tiny our there.

44 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If things don't improve or they want to move on from WJIII they have an out after this season:

William Jackson Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

POTENTIAL OUT: 2023, 2 YR, $27,468,750; $9,000,000 DEAD CAP

Im not sure what PFF said about WJ3 but it appeared he played better as the season went on.  Maybe he keeps that trend going and has a really solid year this year.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I do remember everyone saying that we shouldn't worry about WJ3 getting smoked all off season.  Maybe his confidence was shot getting torched by Terry all summer.  I do hope that St. Juste gets it together but I would love to see Bradberry in the Burgundy and Black!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

I agree about McCain however am I the only one that think he is just super small?  The guy just looks so tiny our there.

Im not sure what PFF said about WJ3 but it appeared he played better as the season went on.  Maybe he keeps that trend going and has a really solid year this year.

I do remember everyone saying that we shouldn't worry about WJ3 getting smoked all off season.  Maybe his confidence was shot getting torched by Terry all summer.  I do hope that St. Juste gets it together but I would love to see Bradberry in the Burgundy and Black!

I dont have the picture in front of me but someone posted on twitter that Mccain is no longer listed as a safety on the teams website but is instead listed as a corner which is interesting. i know hes played corner in the past but I wonder if the plan is for him to be our slot corner 

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

If that is the case then there is even less room for a potential Bradberry.

Just checked to be sure and sure enough Mccain is listed at corner instead of safety. however Troy Apke is now listed at safety again 🤮

• Thumb down 1

33 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Just checked to be sure and sure enough Mccain is listed at corner instead of safety. however Troy Apke is now listed at safety again 🤮

Well, one thing for sure Apke probably gets cut.  He only counts for $152,000 & change for dead cap so he doesn't figure into the top 51 rule.

1 minute ago, CommDownMan said:

I thought I remembered Fuller being a better inside guy earlier.   Maybe before the trade to Chiefs?

Any reason it wasn't just a down year and he could get back to it?

yeah his niche used to be slot but apparently not anymore. The why and how of it, I don’t know 

Sorry guys no way we are trading and signing Bradberry. I know he would be our best corner but we can live with Fuller and WJ with whoever plays the slot or buffalo nickel as long as our defensive line improves their pass rush. 

Our secondary looked a lot better when we had backups like JSW and Toohill/Toney providing decent pressure when they were in for Sweat and Chase. We had literally guys off the street playing corner and playing well. 

We can’t afford Bradberry when we still need to sign Terry and guys like Kam and Sweat in a couple years. 

52 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Would be shocked if we signed this guy -- unless no one else is offering decent money. Snyder's precarious financial situation won't allow it. 

First, one has nothing to do with the other. Most if not all the CAP comes from revenue sharing. That's the whole point of a CAP - to keep things on an even playing field.

Second, there is literally no proof of this anywhere. I can't stand the POS and want him gone but there is enough we can prove than to make **** up. Having said that, if you can provide any shred of proof he has financial problems - and not updating facilities is not proof although that has been done. Yes, he just took out a huge loan for the team to buy out the other owners but that is the teams money not his. And it had to be approved by the league who would want to make sure he can repay said loan. 

But again, one has nothing to do with the other. The team may have CAP problems - although that can be fixed pretty easily - but that has zero to do with him having personal debt issues even if it were true. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

Would be shocked if we signed this guy -- unless no one else is offering decent money. Snyder's precarious financial situation won't allow it. 

That and RR is conservative with the salary. 

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

All I read was McLaurin is gonna have a career year if our QB who can throw more than 15 yards can stay healthy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HigSkin said:

If true, I'm gonna guess that Bradberry wants another big contract.

My guess there would be that the Texans wanted NY to pay some of his 2022 salary, nothing to say the Texans were going to extend him. The Chiefs and Eagles were linked the most pre draft. 

Do we need an another outside corner on decent money, probably not.

Would Rivera chose Bradberry over WJ3 and Fuller, probably yes he would.

I hate to admit this, but Fuller just is not the same player.  I really like Fuller ever since we drafted him.  I still remember the INT he had in New Orleans to seal that game if not for his pinky getting caught on the Saints WO.  If you have a chance to get Bradbury, and sacrifice Fuller, I would not it, but It might be for the better.