Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

10 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Are we even going to carry 4 RB's though? I don't see it. They only kept 3 last year and things were less certain at the position then. 

I think there’s something to @Jericho’s point - we did have both Patterson and Williams taking snaps last year after all, so bringing in a couple more guys to compete with those two makes some sense.  On the other hand, with Robinson in the fold, and Samuel healthy, hopefully we’ve got the horses.

It’s not one of the positions I’m overly concerned about though - as compared with LB, corner, maybe safety and IDL.

Edited by skinny21

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Are we even going to carry 4 RB's though? I don't see it. They only kept 3 last year and things were less certain at the position then. 

I think we're keeping 4.

I think we will only keep 5 receivers. (early prediction: McLaurin, Samuel, Dotson, Brown, Sims)

We may keep a 6th as a return guy (who I'd count as a return guy).

Cole Turner will function as the 6th receiver/4th tight end in that scenario. 

Gibson/McKissick can also function as receivers.

If you count those three guys that's 8 receivers + a possible return man receiver.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The hook and ladder where Reuben smacks the guy as soon as he gets it is hilarious. I’d never seen that before.

For real.  neither have I.  I think he thought I am going to destroy this guy, f if he has the ball, LOL.  Seriously we have to call this guy...Just to complete a little due diligence.  

12 minutes ago, sebestian said:

For real.  neither have I.  I think he thought I am going to destroy this guy, f if he has the ball, LOL.  Seriously we have to call this guy...Just to complete a little due diligence.  

He's a walking injury. He was on our roster for a few years but couldn't get on the field.

image.png.a9f351b189688a61fce8fe140df54830.png

Reuben Foster - Injury History (draftsharks.com)

He missed 2019 and if I remember correctly he wasn't recovered in 2020. Was moving real slow.

I wouldn't be opposed to having him in just to see if he can play. But ya, I wouldn't count on it amounting to much and signing him is a risk as he is likely to be out. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He's a walking injury. He was on our roster for a few years but couldn't get on the field.

image.png.a9f351b189688a61fce8fe140df54830.png

Reuben Foster - Injury History (draftsharks.com)

He missed 2019 and if I remember correctly he wasn't recovered in 2020. Was moving real slow.

I wouldn't be opposed to having him in just to see if he can play. But ya, I wouldn't count on it amounting to much and signing him is a risk as he is likely to be out. 

yeah I hear you K.  That's a lot of injuries.  I agree with you though, (bring him in with an OTA invite (not sure if that is possible?) just to see were he is physically and mentally.  J Allen should give him a call, find out where he is at.

Edited by sebestian

5 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Landon, I am going to post to you (hypothetically) every morning, saying come back.  Listen to a couple weekend songs have a good cry and then come back, LOL.  Come on man, your loved here, it was our fault not yours, we should have treated you better.  We L...........................thats enough.

Sign the contract and lets get to work!!!

John Keim podcast:

1. Don't expect any more signings for a couple weeks. They want to get a better idea of what the skills are of the rookies and the development of the veterans on the current roster before they invest in more free agents.

2. Percy Butler really intrigues them and they think he could possibly play in the Buffalo nickel and also at free safety and be interchanged with McCain and Curl.

3. He still thinks they're going to sign a linebacker. They like Holcomb but know that he needs a savvy veteran next to him to get the most out of him. He brings up the name Blake Martinez as a possible linebacker target.

4. One thing, the coaches loved hearing about Mathis was his unselfishness. In Alabama the coaches knew they could run stunts using him because he didn't care about putting up sack numbers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

John Keim podcast:

1. Don't expect any more signings for a couple weeks. They want to get a better idea of what the skills are of the rookies and the development of the veterans on the current roster before they invest in more free agents.

2. Percy Butler really intrigues them and they think he could possibly play in the Buffalo nickel and also at free safety and be interchanged with McCain and Curl.

3. He still thinks they're going to sign a linebacker. They like Holcomb but know that he needs a savvy veteran next to him to get the most out of him. He brings up the name Blake Martinez as a possible linebacker target.

4. One thing, the coaches loved hearing about Mathis was his unselfishness. In Alabama the coaches knew they could run stunts using him because he didn't care about putting up sack numbers.

That there are a lot of nice positives!

I like the Blake Martinez reference although I do wish they could have addressed LB in the draft.

To me CB is the only other concern position now that the draft has restocked the roster. A couple nice trade backs were assists for this

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

John Keim podcast:

Thanks for posting.  I like all of this, all of it!!  

You know what we all have emotional reactions to acquiring players, and with our track record, it is hard to see positive.  I am generally a realist.  Was I upset when they passed on Brisker, hell yes!  However, I think specifically Hurney, has not done a bad job.  You are not going to hit on every pick.  I think this draft is going to turn out to be special when I take my emotions out of the equation and use intellect for my evaluation. 

they moved down and still game selected a game changer at receiver.  I hear the rumblings that Dotson is too mall and we needed a big wide receiver.  Here is my take on receivers, get open and the chance a QB can complete go up expeditiously.  I do not care how big or small your are, just get open.  Lets say Dotson turns into McLaurin.  Anybody ok with two McLaurin's. 

I do not want to ramble, however I have good feelings about this draft despite our lack of success on the field in the last 30 years.

P.S.  How are my Maple Leafs looking?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

That there are a lot of nice positives!

I like the Blake Martinez reference although I do wish they could have addressed LB in the draft.

To me CB is the only other concern position now that the draft has restocked the roster. A couple nice trade backs were assists for this

I thought Martinez took a pay cut to stay with the Giants. Was he released? Are they planning to release him? 

10 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

So I guess we wait patiently until June 1st for the next wave of potential free agent signings?

I'm going to be very very disappointed if Trai Turner is our last pickup.

June 1 is not some magic date. It's not like there's going to be a sudden rush of signings. If they want a guy, he'll be brought in before then.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think we're keeping 4.

I don't know about this. It may be too early to say depending on any suprises at camp but I'd bet we keep 6 WR's over 4 RB's only because Samuel can play RB too. Looking at the WR I can already see 6 that should make it in Terry, Samuel, Dotson, Brown, Sims and Milne or one of the others in camp. I don't see 4 rock solid RB's who we need to keep? 

1 hour ago, actorguy1 said:

John Keim podcast:

He really likes Percy Butler. Also said Chris Paul just had terrible coaching but is the perfect ball of clay that could transform into a starter at guard. Said he did crazy stuff like drive block on his tip-toes. Said he's a great scheme fit.

Man his comments make me even more excited about this draft class. We got 4 guys who should contribute instantly, And 3 really high upside guys who are boom or bust. The theme is they all live and breathe football.

Said Brian Robinsons comment at the combine was "I just want to be surrounded by guys who are passionate about football'

He also liked our UDFA TE Hodges, said don't be surprised if he catches on. Just didn't get used much in his college scheme.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Four would be a typical number. The team actually kept 5 initially in Rivera's first year (before Love went to IR). Two of the driving factors in keeping only 3 last year were the desire to keep more at other positions and the complete weakness of the RB room.

I guess I'm more of a believer in constantly trying to improve. And that means every spot on the 90 man roster. Not just the top 20 guys, which get most of the attention. I'm also not as complacent with mediocrity as some of you guys seemingly are. Look, I get the UDFAs rarely pan out. I get that not every move works. But when the cost is essentially nothing, the team should at least be trying and be active. The weird part is the team IS doing this at other positions. Look at Cole Kelley. The team brought him in at QB. It's extremely unlikely he'll ever doing anything of note for Washington. But he has some unique skills and the team will check it out. Look at TE as a whole. Unlike some here, I'd say there's a 98% chance that Logan Thomas starts the year on the active roster. And the team has Bates. But it still brought in an athletic freak in Reyes last year and drafted a tall freak in Turner this year and still brought in two more athletic freaks as UDFAs in Hodges and Rogers. This is what they should be doing at RB.

Look at New England. Their RB depth chart was pretty full to begin with and still draft two RBS and signed a guy in D’Eriq King who might be another guy to play there. I just don't get why Washington won't address the back end of the RB depth chart. I'm not even advocating more drafts picks, just the RB equivalent of a Cole Kelley or Curtis Hodges. Because after the top 3 guys and Patterson, it's like they're not even trying. I'm sure Jonathan Williams is a nice guy, but he hasn't made a 53 man roster out of camp since 2016. RBs don't suddenly break out at age 28 after sitting for 6 years. He's not even the last guy on the depth chart. That's Reggie Bonnafon. A guy who's 26 and has a similar history. The point is we know what guys like Williams and Bonnafon are. And you don't even have to cut them to bring someone else in. There's plenty of space on the 90 man. But at least buy some lottery tickets and bring someone in. You do this enough, some of them will eventually pan out. I think its safe to say Williams and Bonnafon are not going to "pan out". 

30 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't know about this. It may be too early to say depending on any suprises at camp but I'd bet we keep 6 WR's over 4 RB's only because Samuel can play RB too. Looking at the WR I can already see 6 that should make it in Terry, Samuel, Dotson, Brown, Sims and Milne or one of the others in camp. I don't see 4 rock solid RB's who we need to keep? 

Of course its too early.

I explained my logic in the post.

We'd have 8 receivers with 4 backs.

Essentially Patterson (or whoever RB 4 is) would be Robinson's backup at true RB.

Gibson/McKissick classify as weapons with Samuel. Obviously Gibson/McKissick also get carries. Samuel may get a few but not the # Gibson gets, or even McKissick. 

Cole Turner can be WR 6. He is mostly a "F" player, which is essentially a big slot. WR6/TE4

Edited by KDawg
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jericho said:

The point is we know what guys like Williams and Bonnafon are. And you don't even have to cut them to bring someone else in. There's plenty of space on the 90 man. But at least buy some lottery tickets and bring someone in.

If your point is just that we should sign more UDFAs, than sure I agree in general. I never understood why we didn’t do that the last few years. But this statement technically isn’t accurate. I think our 90 man roster is full at the moment. 

We signed a healthy amount of UDFAs this year. No team is going to fill half of their 90 man roster with rookies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Who's the leader of the defense?    We don't have one.    Need a LB with leadership qualities.  

Jon Allen...Chase maybe.

Yes we need a LB with leadership qualities but there is leadership on that defense.