Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

19 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

So we let Ioannidis walk to Carolina, he was a 5th round pick in '16 ranked 38th in PFF as interior linesman IN LIMITED WORK this year.  Feels like we're gonna try to keep Payne drafted in '18 yet he's only ranked 32nd on PFF but a 1st rounder....I feel Payne is probably gonna cost hella more vs Matt and, you figure it out... I'm going outside, I need fresh air..

Ioannidas is nowhere near the player that Payne is, you should be embarrassed to post these rankings. PFF is useful but still struggles mightily with units that rely heavily on assignment knowledge to grade. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

So we let Ioannidis walk to Carolina, he was a 5th round pick in '16 ranked 38th in PFF as interior linesman IN LIMITED WORK this year.  Feels like we're gonna try to keep Payne drafted in '18 yet he's only ranked 32nd on PFF but a 1st rounder....I feel Payne is probably gonna cost hella more vs Matt and, you figure it out... I'm going outside, I need fresh air..

It's been posted before but Ioannidis was unhappy with the DL coaching techniques, so it wasn't a move based on just production. There's the injury to consider, and then comparing games started, Payne is 17-16-9-16 the last 4 years, where Matt was 6-0-15-9.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

It's been posted before but Ioannidis was unhappy with the DL coaching techniques, so it wasn't a move based on just production. There's the injury to consider, and then comparing games started, Payne is 17-16-9-16 the last 4 years, where Matt was 6-0-15-9.

Not just games started—but percentage of snaps played. Payne is a rare ~90% snap player. That’s insane at his size. And it’s not because we didn’t have depth, he’s just that much better than his depth. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Payne and iaoniddias aren't the same type of DT and Payne still has upside and is trending up. Iaon is older and headed the other way, was a locker room problem and has injury concerns. Iaon was more of an Allen DT/DE replacement. Settle would have been the replacement for Payne, but couldn't get on the field even though Payne was drastically over worked. Plus, the chemistry between Payne and Allen is undeniable. Might even say explosive. :D

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Payne is seriously underrated on this forum. Hes not only a good player, hes durable af and plays a TON. 

It's nice to see people finally acknowledging how good and valuable Payne is.

I'm really hoping he starts to break out as a pass rusher this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:
10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You can’t judge a schedule in March.

Teams rise, teams fall. The Ravens are the 4th place team I’m the AFC North.

Also, if we don’t crap the bed against the Saints and Broncos, we probably go to the playoffs anyway.  

Playing the schedule game is silly in the NFL.  It never ends up as it starts.  

Well the NFL disagrees with you, otherwise they'd just put out a schedule for each team regardless of the previous years standings like every other major sport does. The WFT made the playoffs two years ago on the strength of a very easy schedule as did the Eagles this season. If you can't acknowledge that the 4th place schedule vs a 1st place schedule is a factor then we'll just disagree.....again. 

Edited by kingdaddy

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Payne and iaoniddias aren't the same type of DT and Payne still has upside and is trending up. Iaon is older and headed the other way, was a locker room problem and has injury concerns. Iaon was more of an Allen DT/DE replacement. Settle would have been the replacement for Payne, but couldn't get on the field even though Payne was drastically over worked. Plus, the chemistry between Payne and Allen is undeniable. Might even say explosive. :D

No need to make things up as players leave the team. There was nothing wrong with Io in the locker room. He was tight with the guys - just was not a fan of Sam Mills

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, method man said:

No need to make things up as players leave the team. There was nothing wrong with Io in the locker room. He was tight with the guys - just was not a fan of Sam Mills

I'm not making things up and I didn't say he wasn't tight with team mates, but a disgruntled employee is a tumor. 

45 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Seeing Fournette re-signed in Tampa for 3 years. Reminded me that Ron Jones is a free agent. There's a lot of talent still out there, and I'm not sure we sign another back, but he's someone I'd like to spell Gibby.

We NEED another RB.  Its a huge area of concern.  Patterson is a JAG.  JD is very small and can't handle a load of more than 5-7 carries.  Getting another bell-cow is a priority.  I think we'll sign a vet post draft to preserve some comp picks.

• Thumb down 1

13 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

We NEED another RB.  Its a huge area of concern.  Patterson is a JAG.  JD is very small and can't handle a load of more than 5-7 carries.  Getting another bell-cow is a priority.  I think we'll sign a vet post draft to preserve some comp picks.

I'd rather draft one. You can always get good RBs in the middle rounds and there are a couple of studs that should be available in round 2.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Well the NFL disagrees with you, otherwise they'd just put out a schedule for each team regardless of the previous years standings like every other major sport does. The WFT made the playoffs two years ago on the strength of a very easy schedule as did the Eagles this season. If you can't acknowledge that the 4th place schedule vs a 1st place schedule is a factor then we'll just disagree.....again. 

Look at what just happened with the QBs in the league:

Seattle: Wilson to ?

Browns: Mayfield to Watson (But he's going to be suspended, so WHEN you play the Browns might be more important than IF you play the Browns)

Atlanta: Went from Ryan to Mariota

Denver: Went from Teddy/Lock to Wilson

Indy: Went from Wentz to Ryan

Commanders: Went from TH to Wentz

Then there are additional of FA and Draft moves.

I haven't done the math exactly, but teams routinely turn over ~15-20 players of their roster, and at least 4-6 starters (out of 22, so about 1/4) year over year.

This means the team that ended the season isn't the team that begins the next one. Which means playing the schedule game in March is basically a useless exercise.  

What looked like an easier game against the Browns just got a lot tougher if Watson plays.  The Ravens, who are the 4th place AFC North team, mostly because of injuries, are not a bad team.  They are almost certainly better than Pittsburgh right now, because Ben retired, and the Steelers signed Mitch.  The Ravens get Jackson back.

Are the Jags going to completely suck?  Maybe.  But Lawrence is going into year 2, and they've completely overhauled their roster.  They might still suck.  But they might not.  At the very least, the team they field in September will not resemble the team that finished 4th last year.  

This version of the Commanders probably finishes second in the NFC East last year JUST because of Wentz.  They should be a much harder out this year than their 3rd place finish indicates.  

The year after their SB run, Jimmy G. (and Bosa) got hurt, and all of a sudden, having the 49ers on the schedule went from a massively tough game to a game the Washington Football Team could win (and did) with a hobbled Smith and an incompetent Haskins.

I'm not saying there's nothing to the opponents or the schedule.  But it's absolutely impossible to predict who's going to be good and who isn't in March.  The NFL is a week to week league.  As soon as you think you know something, it changes.

The NFL has to come up with some formula to create a schedule.  This is as good as any.  

I will grant you, there are years with less turnover and churn, especially at the QB position, where it's easier to predict at least which team is going to have good QB play, and from that you can glean something about the opponents.  This year, it's really hard.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

"Plus, the chemistry between Payne and Allen is undeniable. Might even say explosive." :D

True on so many levels KB. 😉

In fact, with Payne and Allen on the team we always have a puncher's chance for a REAL knockout blow! 🤪

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"Plus, the chemistry between Payne and Allen is undeniable. Might even say explosive." :D

True on so many levels.

In fact with Payne and Allen on the team we always have a puncher's chance for a knockout blow! 🤪

They'll be giving offensive linemen the ole poke and punch for years to come.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CommDownMan said:

I could understand if you don't appreciate this quote as much as I do.   That would trigger me a bit too.   Haha

I actually don't mind the quote. I find it somewhat corny but also inspirational.

But I can't get over the situation I first heard it.  Turns out, the captain was given about 50 free flight vouchers, and after getting choked up and inspirational, he selected random rows from a hat and distributed those to the passengers.  So alls well that ends well.  (And I got a free flight voucher, which I used to go back to Vegas, so there was that.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

They'll be giving offensive linemen the ole poke and punch for years to come.

Allen is lightning quick off the take, but in the off season he needs to work closely with the coaches on his hand placement and accuracy. Sometimes he  whiffs and completely misses his opponent.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Look at what just happened with the QBs in the league:

Seattle: Wilson to ?

Browns: Mayfield to Watson (But he's going to be suspended, so WHEN you play the Browns might be more important than IF you play the Browns)

Watson, depending on if he gets suspended and length of suspension, coming off over a year away from the game and having to learn a new offense may not show anything at all this year. I wouldn't be surprised if the browns don't get much out of him until next year.

Edited by Chris 44

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Seeing Fournette re-signed in Tampa for 3 years. Reminded me that Ron Jones is a free agent. There's a lot of talent still out there, and I'm not sure we sign another back, but he's someone I'd like to spell Gibby.

Agreed, although I'd really like more Thunder and less lightening. A Big RB/Small FB kind who can be a ST, short yardage guy and lead blocker. Todays pass happy league leaves smaller LBs more vulnerable to an occasional dose of pounding the rock when necessary.  Mike Sellers (although huge) would still eat in todays NFL 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jericho said:

MLB

You could argue a few more spots (Guard, WR2, maybe another LB), but MLB is the one glaring hole

MLB for sure is #1. 

I think you forgot #2: Backup swing tackle.  Leno (I think? I can't keep him and Lucas straight) is still unsigned, and they need a good backup swing tackle.  That's probably the hardest remaining depth signing to get.  Hopefully they can re-sign Leno.  That would essentially put the OL to bed from a minimum starter perspective.  Then they could go out and get guard depth somewhere.   

DL depth and TE "something" because we don't know when Thomas will be back or what he is going to be when he gets back.

The good news is, ALL of these things can be found in the draft or reasonably easily in FA.

The one thing that I think is now going to be interesting, I think all of the absolutely QB needy teams have signed SOMEBODY except the Panthers and Seahawks.  However, Jimmy G. and now Baker Baker the Touchdown Maker are both available.  The 49ers will not trade Jimmy to the Seahawks.  I think he's going to end up staying put at this point.  

Baker has to be moved.  I think the only place that makes sense is Carolina. 

The effect of this, however, is who knows when the first QB might go off the board I just saw a mock that had no QBs taken up until our pick, and we passed on them as well.  I just find that hard to believe.  At this point, I kindof WANT Willis and Pickett to be gone before our pick so we don't feel included to take a QB.  I'd prefer to just roll with Wentz and get a LB or WR (or BPA) at #11.  

Though I do think if that happens, the Steelers might trade up.  The Falcons could still take a QB in the top 10.  The Panthers might depending on if they get Baker...

It's all very interesting.

• Like 2

Essentially, prior to the draft they could sign a middle of the road FA MLB and call it done. All other positions have a mediocre or better starter. Between draft picks and post draft free agency they can both upgrade some starters and upgrade some depth. It's feels like a slow, boring process to us but I think it's necessary.

• Like 2