Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

None of our WRs are worth a crap except McLaurin and he's still on a rookie contract. We can replace just about all of them with upgrades.

Eh I beg to differ. Brown has shown flashes while he was a rookie, and I believe once he gets 'it' people are going to notice. Curtis was obviously hurt all year, if he comes back to form from 2020 he's definitely worth what we paid for him, but that is yet to be seen. Terry is going to get huge money, we all know it. Cam Sims can be a possession guy, key word there is can be. 1st year WRs also usually don't make that big of an impact (unless your name is Scary Terry), the learning curve for a WR in the NFL is quite large.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, they do matter if your MLB runs the wrong way consistently.  Running the right way, TOWARDS the ball, is actually a necessity.  Even in today's NFL.  

Maybe doing a little research or being informed BEFORE taking the default position should be the new default position?  If you hear hoofbeats, maybe look at what's coming at you BEFORE making up your mind whether it's a horse or a zebra?  

I don't care about that, as long as it's a really good player.

The one thing that DOES concern me, however, is if you go back to 2017, they have used a first round pick on a defensive guy every year:

2017: Jon Allen

2018: Daron Payne

2019: Sweat (And Haskins)

2020: Young

2021: Davis

That's just a TON of first round resources in a row to pour into the defense in an offensive league. 

The counter to my own point would be, they NEED a MLB because they don't have one on their roster, I don't believe.  (Actually, Mayo might still be on the roster, I'm not entirely sure.) Bostic is a FA, he's not coming back.  So there is a need there.  Unless they bring in a competent, proven starter, they HAVE to fill that spot somehow.  

Bostic would be a fine vet minimum backup

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

20 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The one thing that DOES concern me, however, is if you go back to 2017, they have used a first round pick on a defensive guy every year:

I don't see anything wrong with going defense every year as long as your supplementing your offense through free agency or other draft picks. The last guy we took on offense (Scherff) just walked away and we got nothing (unless we don't blow the comp pick) and the other one (Haskins) was a complete waste. At least the defensive picks we've made have had good starts to their careers for the most part and they're all still on the team I believe. Many ways to skin a cat. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

If our “generational” pass rushers were actually “generational”, nobody would notice the skill or lack there of from the LBs. Of course you’d like to have good players at that position but in the grand scheme, you are not adding wins from being good at that spot. That’s just a fact. Most LBs can’t cover. They’re their to stop the run. Unless a guy is a legit stud in pass coverage, I’m not interested. Unfortunately, there aren’t a ton of guys like that. That’s why I think we’re wasting time investing so many resources into finding a unicorn. If our rush actually worked, everyone would look better. 

And taking another linebacker in R1 this year would be ridiculous. We have to attack impact positions. 

WR, QB, CB, Edge, OT, etc. 

We got destroyed early on last season via our secondary.  I agree our D line didn't live to their hype but as we know they weren't the #1 problem, the secondary was atrocious.   I agree with most of your points. The only disagreement is "its just a fact, most LBs can't cover" part.  If we are talking old school to new school NFL IMO you also have to adapt the point to who are these new school LBs?

Modern day LBs have to major in covering and some actually add to the pass rush. As we know, most teams use primarily 2 LBs on the field versus 3 and those two aren't typically the old school big dudes who are monster run stoppers and can't cover.  They tend to be smaller guys with the speed to stop pass catching RBs and follow TEs up the seam.  Some actually are even good as we know at rushing the passer like Devin White.  

As for who to take at #1, that's a different conversation -- both LBS who most are guessing are going in the first were good at covering in college and can rush the passer, too.    I am not for or opposed to taking Lloyd or Dean in the first.  I'd like it more in a trade down because right now I think they drop further down from 11.  But I don't find the idea of doing it, crazy.   Right now, I'd favor a WR or CB at 11 with some of the players I mentioned.  But I wouldn't go jump off the bridge of they took Lloyd or Dean considering the fit.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Re-Signed:

J.D. McKissic (RB) 

Troy Apke (Special Teams Ace who won't play defense)

Bobby McCain (FS)

Cam Sims (WR)

Charles Leno (LT, done earlier)

Tyler Larsen (Backup Center)

Cam Sims (WR)

Milo Eifler (LB)

Daniel Wise (DT)

Jon Toth (C)

Holy ****. I wasn't sure we had re-signed Cam Sims, but I definitely didn't realise we had signed him twice! 🙂

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, method man said:

Bostic would be a fine vet minimum backup

There is literally no world in which I line where I want Bostic on the roster EXCEPT if we had gotten Rodgers and Adam’s on offense.  Then my kid sister could have played MLB sand I wouldn’t have cared.

Otherwise, he’s Ron Rivera’s version of Reed Doughty.  “Super smart” try hard coachable player who isn’t actually very good but the coach thinks is worth playing because he knows where he’s supposed to be.  It’s a crutch.  We need to burn that crutch.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't see anything wrong with going defense every year as long as your supplementing your offense through free agency or other draft picks. The last guy we took on offense (Scherff) just walked away and we got nothing (unless we don't blow the comp pick) and the other one (Haskins) was a complete waste. At least the defensive picks we've made have had good starts to their careers for the most part and they're all still on the team I believe. Many ways to skin a cat. 

Eh, it's a roster building thing.  You want young, productive guys on both sides of the ball on rookie contracts. 

Sometimes it just works out that way, and that's fine.  But spending that number of 1st round picks on the same position group is an over-allocation of resources.  I would have been more ok with it if they had spread the picks around the defense, even.  But to pick 4 DL in 4 straight drafts is putting all of your eggs in one basket.  It's not really the way to build a roster.

The thing is, if you're going to spend that kind of draft capital on one side of the ball, you absolutely need that unit to be a top 5 unit in the league.  Period.  We haven't gotten close to that.  And I don't want to hear about rankings for 2021.  They were good, but not great.  And at least part of the reason they were good is because the QBs they played and defeated were extremely limited.  

So far, Jon Allen is the only true "hit" of those 4 picks.  Young was trending in that direction, then had a disaster of a sophomore season including a torn ACL.  Payne has been solid, but never really lived up to his potential, Sweat has been good but not great.  

I'm not saying I don't like any of those picks, but again, if they draft a LB in the draft this year, that's 6 straight drafts with a first round defensive player.  That's a lot.

We used to crush Vinny for ignoring the OL.  Well, if the OL struggles, I promise you we're going to see stories about how the Commanders have not used a first round pick on OL since 2015 (7 years) and only 3 in the last 23 years (Samuels, Trent Williams and Scherff).  And then THAT is going to become a thing.  

• Thumb down 1

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Man that’s a great deal on Norwell.

Aside from Wentz, we are spending next to nothing in context to FA in general. 

So what about today then, the ex Panther CB maybe?

We are protecting that 3rd round comp pick for Scherff as well. Smart moves so far by the FO. Didnt like losing Io. But I understand why they did it. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We are protecting that 3rd round comp pick for Scherff as well. Smart moves so far by the FO. Didnt like losing Io. But I understand why they did it. 

Yeah I can see that we must have that 3rd comp pick in mind. And I do understand that will come in useful in the 2023 draft...

But man, look around the league. I’m leaning towards our way of thinking being somewhat outdated to be honest.

Why would Wagner ‘be out of our price range’. No comp pick implications with that at all. He may have no interest in being here anyway. What is a price range these days? Vegas are about to give Carr 40mil py having signed a premier edge rusher and thrown 140mil at the best WR in the league. 

However, I think what must be going on is that Rivera truly believes he has a very competitive roster as it stands. Must be that. Or we can’t entice decent FA’s.

Trying to remain optimistic. I like Rivera. Currently underwhelmed with our approach over the last few days. Maybe that will change.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We got destroyed early on last season via our secondary.  I agree our D line didn't live to their hype but as we know they weren't the #1 problem, the secondary was atrocious.   I agree with most of your points. The only disagreement is "its just a fact, most LBs can't cover" part.  If we are talking old school to new school NFL IMO you also have to adapt the point to who are these new school LBs?

Modern day LBs have to major in covering and some actually add to the pass rush. As we know, most teams use primarily 2 LBs on the field versus 3 and those two aren't typically the old school big dudes who are monster run stoppers and can't cover.  They tend to be smaller guys with the speed to stop pass catching RBs and follow TEs up the seam.  Some actually are even good as we know at rushing the passer like Devin White.  

As for who to take at #1, that's a different conversation -- both LBS who most are guessing are going in the first were good at covering in college and can rush the passer, too.    I am not for or opposed to taking Lloyd or Dean in the first.  I'd like it more in a trade down because right now I think they drop further down from 11.  But I don't find the idea of doing it, crazy.   Right now, I'd favor a WR or CB at 11 with some of the players I mentioned.  But I wouldn't go jump off the bridge of they took Lloyd or Dean considering the fit.   

Only LB I would draft in the 1st round.  He checks every single box for a LB.

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

However, I think what must be going on is that Rivera truly believes he has a very competitive roster as it stands. Must be that. Or we can’t entice decent FA’s.

I'm leaning toward this opinion also, I think he believes we already have a competitive team and he took care of the biggest weakness by signing Wentz. I also think that he looks at last year as a year that due to less than stellar QB play, injuries and covid the current roster did not get a chance to show what they have. This year he should get the answer to the ability of many of the current players and going forward, hopefully with a franchise QB in place, can address any issues that arise this season. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

However, I think what must be going on is that Rivera truly believes he has a very competitive roster as it stands. Must be that. 

Well the talk is we were just a QBaway from contending. If you have to upgrade a bunch of other positions you aren't just a QB Away

53 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't think that qualifies as just good on paper, but very savvy move by the FO no matter how it shakes out.  

Interesting, because I was assured by many talking heads that they were just reacting and had no plan...we're they wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ZarG3 said:

The problem with drafting a WR is we currently have 7 WRs under contract. We have a decent amount of money tied up in WRs currently. I'd rather look more towards TE with Logan getting older and coming off a ACL injury.

Correction make that 8.. forgot about Marken Michel

Not to be rude, but I don't care how many wr we have under contract. If an  impact wr drops in our lap at 11, take him. Wentz did very well in Philly throwing to a healthy Alshon Jeffries.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, carex said:

Well the talk is we were just a QBaway from contending. If you have to upgrade a bunch of other positions you aren't just a QB Away

You also have to consider how the opposition have/haven’t upgraded at the same time.

We are undoubtedly better with Wentz. Maybe the rest is a wash, time will tell. 

Personally I want another 2 or 3 added pre draft. 

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Interesting, because I was assured by many talking heads that they were just reacting and had no plan...we're they wrong?

Outside of QB, I don't think Rivera is desperately looking to upgrade at any position, however if the price is right I'm sure he would love a LB and a true leader in the secondary (though given the chance now that Collins is gone Im not sure that McCain doesn't step in to that role). Again, if a good fit at a reasonable price comes along I think he will make a move. Otherwise depth signings and let the draft come to him.

• Like 1