Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Oh he definitely has his issues as well. Staring down receivers, late too reads and not protecting himself among them. But he would be a great QB behind Wentz. In fact that was my comp for him.

IF BIG IF, we can trade down and acquire have a 1st 2nd and 3rd and Ridder were around in the 3rd, I'd have to take him.  I doubt he falls that far though. 

3 minutes ago, sebestian said:

I hope this happens.  More trade down scenarios.  Always good to have more options then less.

Agreed.  We want vet QBs taken before our pick, naturally. :)   

• Like 1

Im not too far from treating the WR position like RB and refusing to pay top dollar. The idea of giving a WR 10% of the cap just doesn’t make a lot of sense. I lean towards being neutral to bullish on signing Mcclaurin  and good portion to do with his intangibles. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Im not too far from treating the WR position like RB and refusing to pay top dollar. The idea of giving a WR 10% of the cap just doesn’t make a lot of sense. I lean towards being neutral to bullish on signing Mcclaurin  and good portion to do with his intangibles. 

It's become a pass happy league anymore.  You find a good bell cow type running back the likes of Earl Campbell, Derrick Henry then you have something and they get paid but they are hard to find and as stated it's a pass happy league these days. I like a good running game though.  Old school growing up watching Larry Brown and John Riggins, especially the Deisel.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

It's become a pass happy league anymore.  You find a good bell cow type running back the likes of Earl Campbell, Derrick Henry then you have something and they get paid but they are hard to find and as stated it's a pass happy league these days. I like a good running game though.  Old school growing up watching Larry Brown and John Riggins, especially the Deisel.  

Exactly why the Titans got knocked out in their first playoff game. Gotta chuck it bro.  4 yards and a cloud of dust gets you beat these days.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

50 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Which winning teams are ?

The saints have been one of the nfl’s best franchises for over a decade and were even competitive last year with jameis. 

Kc, Rams, NE, Titans, 49ers among a few are pretty strapped against the cap this year and most years. The rams, you may recall, just won a SB and continuously sign and trade for guys that demand big contracts and they work around it. 

I literally cannot believe people are actually against signing Terry to his market value because they are worried about the cap smh. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

The NFL has changed. Idk what to tell some of you. Maybe you don’t follow it on a day to day basis. But it is a different ballgame. 

The cap doesn’t matter. Running the ball doesn’t matter. Linebackers don’t matter. I’m sorry. 

The game is about getting a QB and surrounding him with as many explosive weapons as possible. Terry can and will name his price. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

Exactly why the Titans got knocked out in their first playoff game. Gotta chuck it bro.  4 yards and a cloud of dust gets you beat these days.

Agreed but if you got a bell cow as I mentioned you wear your D down and win the game.  It still an important position and if you can find that kind of back you KO your opponent much easier and with our D when we add our MLB this year. 

Good article on drafting another QB this year and reason why.  Something to think about and ponder.

Washington Commanders should still consider QB early in 2022 NFL Draft (nflspinzone.com)

From the article:  

"

All that being said and all that being known, if the Commanders have someone they want at quarterback – and he’s available – get him.

It doesn’t matter if it’s in the first, second, fourth, wherever. If Washington wants Malik Willis and he’s there at 11, draft him. And that goes for every other quarterback. Whether it’s Kenny Pickett in the first, or Sam Howell or Desmond Ridder in the second. Maybe Carson Strong later on. Whoever, go get them.

Obviously, Washington is planning on starting Wentz this season. You don’t trade away multiple draft picks and take on a massive salary like this to put them on the bench. But let’s also not pretend like Wentz is or should be their long-term plan. He’s not bad, but it feels like we’ve already seen what he’ll be.

And there’s no reason to delay getting your potential future quarterback. Now, you could argue that Washington could just wait until next year. And that’s absolutely a route to go. But if you really love someone – take them. Especially considering this is a solid team. And with an upgrade at quarterback, they could go over .500 and maybe even find a playoff spot.

If that happens, then they are in a position where they’ll likely need to trade up in the draft to get a top QB next year. And they’re already losing a pick next season, so having to throw more draft capital to get your guy is setting that rookie QB up for failure with less and less around him."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moondog said:

Lol at people talking about ruining our cap. What world have you been living in? Teams will be $70M over the cap and make a few restructures/moves then sign another high priced FA. 

Sign your best players, especially the homegrown ones and figure out next years cap issues next year. 

The salary cap is like an economic version of parallax.

If you consciously  focus on it it's all that you can see.

But if you look beyond it it slowly fades from view, as if it was a magician's illusion that never even existed.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Another thing is that you usually have just 1 guy at QB taking nearly 100-percent of the snaps, so you can afford to pay him without robbing the rest of your team. Usually your going to have 2 or more WR with significant snaps and even your elite bell-cow RBs often get less than 70-percent and most teams have an RBC (though one back may be the lead dog).

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

There's nothing wrong with not knowing all the rules, but when you trash the organization for not doing something that's literally impossible, you should expect to get some attitude in return. 😉

In fairness to him (and me, since I didn't know this either) trashing this organization is the default position, i.e. thinking horses and not zebras when hearing hoofbeats. You've always got better odds going with that option.

2 hours ago, Birdlives said:

my humility knows no bounds in the light of your grace, I will offer my first newborn in a fortnight under a new moon; unless Leo is rising; in which case I’ll be sure to dance naked under the light of a waxing moon.

Welcome to ES Aqualord!!

• Like 1

What a trade, Adams and Carr hook up again. Been on the table that one. Expect GB to bring back MVS today. Carr about to get paid as well. 

7 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Sounds like both Terry and Payne getting deals in the near future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

The NFL has changed. Idk what to tell some of you. Maybe you don’t follow it on a day to day basis. But it is a different ballgame. 

The cap doesn’t matter. Running the ball doesn’t matter. Linebackers don’t matter. I’m sorry. 

The game is about getting a QB and surrounding him with as many explosive weapons as possible. Terry can and will name his price. 

our defenses failures last year shows that LBs not mattering anymore is not true at all

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 3

15 minutes ago, MrJL said:

our defenses failures last year shows that LBs not mattering anymore is not true at all

Yep. Maybe if it was said old school pure run stopping LBs, that some still call 2 down (even if its often just 1 down these days) LBs who are just about stopping the run are becoming passe. But LBs still matter in part because they are critical to stopping the pass game, too.  This team who has been murdered over the years by TEs and pass catching Rbs know that better than most teams. 

Guys like Blake Martinez a couple of years ago helped turn around at times a previously bad Giants defense.  Better MLB play helped the Eagles defense last year break out of their slump.  Aaron Rodgers supposedly was insistent that the Packers find a way to keep De'Vondre Campbell because of how much he helped their defense improve last year, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I was wondering what the board would do at the Mike LB position.  Wagner seems out and that's ok.  He is definitely on the back nine of his career.  I would like a vet Mike ideally.  K. White, A. Johnson tops my list.

If we have to draft, second rd I want C. Harris to create that Bama triangle.  Here is some of his highlights.

I am very happy with the offseason so far, Norwell is a great signing, the question now shifts to MLB, and I was wondering what you guys and gals think is the best option.

Morning!! 

• Like 1

Keim Podcast Nuggets:

-Possible reason for releasing Matt I- He and some of the other linemen fought against the style coaching from  Coach Mills and they wanted to break up that group and get some new faces in that would listen to Mills teaching style. The team was surprised by his agent's reaction.

-Flowers probably overvalued himself.

- it won't take very much for Wentz to outplay his quarterback predecessors and maybe that relieves a little bit of pressure on him that he would have had in any Indianapolis. It was also cool for Young to reach out to him.

-As far as FA, hey, will try to bring in some defensive lineman depth.

-At linebacker they are interested in some players, but Bobby Wagner is out there price range. Some really good inside linebackers in this year's draft and they could really get a good starter from that. They would like to pair three young linebackers together and have them all grow together. 

-They would also like to fill the buffalo nickel position but as far as the Honey Badger he is too small. That player needs to be able to play linebacker and safety. He's too small to play linebacker. Again, there are players in a draft that could possibly fill that role or if they get a speedy enough linebacker, they might not need to use that position very much

Edited by actorguy1
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, actorguy1 said:

Keim Podcast Nuggets:

-Possible reason for releasing Matt I- He and some of the other linemen fought against the style coaching from  Coach Mills and they wanted to break up that group and get some new faces in that would listen to Mills teaching style. The team was surprised by his agent's reaction.

- it won't take very much for Wentz to outplay his quarterback predecessors and maybe that relieves a little bit of pressure on him that he would have had in any Indianapolis. It was also cool for Young to reach out to him.

-As far as it linebacker they are interested in some players but Bobby Wagner is out there price range. Some really good inside wine doctors in this year's draft and they could really get a good starter from that. They would like to pair three young linebackers together and have them all grow together. 

-They would also like to fill the buffalo nickel position but as far as the Honey Badger he is too small. That player needs to be able to play linebacker and safety. He's too small to play linebacker. Again, there are players in a draft that could possibly fill that role or if they get a speedy enough linebacker, they might not need to use that position very much

Would be tough to swallow taking a LB back to back first round picks 

13 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Keim Podcast Nuggets:

-At linebacker they are interested in some players, but Bobby Wagner is out there price range. Some really good inside linebackers in this year's draft and they could really get a good starter from that. They would like to pair three young linebackers together and have them all grow together. 

This reads like ideally they would want to get Hamilton in the 1st round and perhaps a LB like Harris or Muma in the 2nd.

• Like 1

What do you guys think about taking a flyer on Jaylon Smith.  He played for three teams last year alone.  I just do not understand how someone's play can fall off that much.  Is his knee bothering him again?

He is only still 27 yrs old.  I have always liked him.  1 yr prove it deal, maybe?

16 minutes ago, sebestian said:

What do you guys think about taking a flyer on Jaylon Smith.  He played for three teams last year alone.  I just do not understand how someone's play can fall off that much.  Is his knee bothering him again?

He is only still 27 yrs old.  I have always liked him.  1 yr prove it deal, maybe?

As a Dallas fan, just say No. dude is done 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Thanks for the insight.  That's unbelievable.  I hope he is ok personally, away from the field.

He’s plenty fine. Went back to Notre Dame and finished his degree, has a successful sunglasses business as well. That’s part of his problem, once he got some fame, it was more about the outside adventures as opposed to football.

He is a great guy, excellent teammate, hell he even cheered for Dallas openly while playing for New York.

Hes a solid rotational player if you need 10-15 snaps per game. But he just isn’t a full time starter anymore 

• Like 1