Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

3 year void on such a small contract.  It's another sign of them about to make a play or two.  Clearly they want every inch of cap space as possible.  And if building cap space was just for kicks to push it all into 2023, this shows that's not the case.  

More and more of that happening.

Look at the Campbell deal he signed with GB last year. One year 2mil deal. Signing bonus 1mil and Salary 1mil broadly. 

They added FOUR voidable years onto that deal just to spread the 1mil SB over 5 years...saved 800k cap...which accelerated in the end as they didn’t re-up the one year deal originally (but that’s different to JD being a multi year deal).

• Like 2

There were several articles linking us with Donte Jackson prior to free agency. I’m useless at posting links, but they are easily found. Picture of Rivera embracing Jackson after we played them. Could see that happening.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

3 year void on such a small contract.  It's another sign of them about to make a play or two.  Clearly they want every inch of cap space as possible.  And if building cap space was just for kicks to push it all into 2023, this shows that's not the case.  

Makes me wonder if they literally slapped a Commanders sticker over the Bill's contract and that was a Bill's driven thing considering its not something we've done much of, especially with RR.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Here's my plan for the OL. I like to draft a guy or two ever year (when the picks are there to allow it) so that you always have a mix of talent and youth. Currently, we have 3 "paid" OL but, at a budget. Roullier, Leno and Schweizer. Adding Norwell would make it a 4th. But none of these guys are making premier money. I guess Roullier is for Center, but not necessarily for the OL in general. Leno is making peanuts for a LT.

LT - Leno (3 years remaining)

LG - Charles (2 years remaining)

C - Roullier (3 years remaining)

RG - Schweizer (final year)

RT - Cosmi (3 years remaining)

Charles apparently looked really good, according to some. It takes a couple years for raw OL to really gel, and he could be primed for a breakout this year. If we signed Norwell or another veteran to play LG, then I feel pretty good about the OL again. We would probably have Charles slot in at RG (assuming he beats out Schweizer, which I put at 50/50) ... which makes Schweizer a value backup at RG in the final year. BUT, the depth is a concern.

Assuming Norwell signs a 1-2+ year deal, we'll be in good shape with the starters in place for 2022-2023 (if you include Charles) but we need depth. So I think you bring in Norwell for a few years if possible. Bring in a swing tackle (maybe Williams?) for 1-2 years (although that's probably unlikely).

In the draft, I think you have to go with a Tackle that can play Guard (ala Charles in 2020). Right now, unless you bring back Corn Lucas, you are without a backup OT. Charles can probably slot there if need be, but if he's your starting Guard, that's less than ideal.

Assuming we sign a veteran LG and MLB, I am trading back from #11 and drafting WR and OT with 2 of the first 3 picks.

I know we re-upped Tyler Larsen and tendered Keith Ismael. They are bodies. They are back of the depth chart break glass in case of emergency guys. They're useful, but I'm not including them here because they could easily be cut in camp and nobody would bat an eye. I'm talking about solutions for the OL in relation to who will be starting beyond 2022.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Also, as JP was pointing out, he just dumped a starting guard that was really good for us that the team just brought back.  So what was the point of that?  I think JP (and a ton of fans for that matter) is just getting weary of Ron's flip-flopping, which has been going on since his first season in various ways, and it does make one start to question things now in Year 3.

They brought him back because they could pay the rest of the guarantees after Miami footed most of the bill in his one season there.  They then dumped him when he had no guaranteed money and was due a $10M salary.  If anything, that's being smart - not the other way around.  I'm willing to bet Flowers doesn't sniff $10M for a season on the open market.  There's a chance he could end up back here with his hat in his hand for say $5-7MM.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Some posters on this site are speaking out against RR for dumping both Ionaiddis and Flowers with what appears to be no plan. While I'm interested to see where this all leads, I don't blame anyone for being confused, upset or angry about the direction of this team because it's not like they deserve the benefit of the doubt. As fans, we want to believe that our team is doing things the right way and try to remain optimistic BUT, talking ourselves into Carson Wentz as the best QB option out there and buying what the organization is selling is a tough buy for me.

Dumping Matt Ionaiddis and hearing his agent rip the organization bothers me too. Ion is a starting caliber DT on a lot of teams and he's a high motor guy who I think will be missed. I don't like hearing agents go public saying our mgmt lied to their players face. 

Meanwhile, teams like Denver, Jax, Chargers, Raiders are signing or trading for big time players while we are selling Carson Wentz and nothing else thus far. 

There had better be some big time moves announced soon because these moves thus far are uninspiring. And I like and respect RR. 

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

BUT, talking ourselves into Carson Wentz as the best QB option out there and buying what the organization is selling is a tough buy for me.

You misunderstand. Carson Wentz was the best QB option out there... that was actually available to us.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Redwards said:

We absolutely knew Scherff was gone, but we don't know if his pitch included Schweitzer.  I have a feeling it skirted the issue of Scherff leaving, since he was still a part of the team and a well-known commodity at the position around the league.  It wouldn't be much of a sales pitch to eschew a guy like Scherff for Schweitzer when making a pitch.  No coach is going to try and sell a QB on what they think is a great Oline but not include its best player or throw into that pitch the fact that said player may not be here very long.  And QBs absolutely know the Oline that is going to be in front of them, so it isn't as if you can grease over a name like Scherff and the QB won't notice.

Also, as JP was pointing out, he just dumped a starting guard that was really good for us that the team just brought back.  So what was the point of that?  I think JP (and a ton of fans for that matter) is just getting weary of Ron's flip-flopping, which has been going on since his first season in various ways, and it does make one start to question things now in Year 3.

This is just dumb nitpicking because we’ve had 20+ years of incompetency. Understandable, so maybe I shouldn’t have said dumb at all. But every year teams dump overpaid guys—even good guards— that they can’t come to an agreement with on an extension and replace them with someone similar for cheaper in FA, and it’s lauded as smart. You think FLOWERS of all people isn’t replaceable and is worth having agita over and calling Rivera an unreliable flip-flipper bc he believes we’ll still have a good OL? Zoom out a bit, it’s silly. We made Flowers into what he is just like we’ve made the other cheap OL off the scrap heap lately. 

The OL has been good since Rivera got here despite them pulling scrap from every pile imaginable and covering for tons of injuries—I think it is a position group that they deserve some grace and belief on. 

Everyone on earth knew Scherff was gone two years ago. I guarantee his pitch about us having a good OL did not pimp Scherff as a part of it. And I highly doubt anyone would go “well you have a great OL coach and great OL production with all sorts of personnel configurations over the last two years, but without Flowers?? Now that you cut Flowers that’s a bad pitch and I’m out”. The whole idea about the importance of the “pitch” is stupid at this point anyways, Rodgers/Wilson were not coming here even if we had a line full of 25-year old Jon Ogden clones. Rivera would have been doing his team a disservice if he didn’t try, but those guys weren’t coming here. The “pitch” in relation to what we’re doing with roster moves now is an extremely dumb narrative meant to prey on nervous fans who want us to sign some damn players. It’s sports radio fodder to fill the time until something else notable happens. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not really. In fans eyes maybe. But do you really think he didn't know this was likely to happen when discussing the Oline? He definitely knew Scherff was gone. He had to know Flowers could be gone. Maybe, just maybe they have a plan that for obvious reasons that escape most fans he has decided not to provide in excruciating detail as it requires some negotiation. Fair enough he may have let people think what they want knowing it's not the true direction but again it does not help the team for him to broadcast every detail of thier plan. 

BTW: These guys started planning for this last year, some of them before last year. They already knew this was a possibility and have a plan for it. Fans think the team reacts like they do, in the moment. Just because you (meaning the metaphorical you, not you personally) can't see the plan does not mean there isn't one. 

They must really like who they have behind them and/or they feel like they can get a quality G or maybe 2 in the draft. Need to let this all play out before deciding the outcome. 

I get what you're saying.  I do.  Perhaps it comes down to a personal viewpoint, and I'm starting to feel silly going back and forth about this point. 😉 

But Ron was selling THIS Oline - the actual Oline that played and achieved the 6th ranking this past season - to prospective QBs as a major reason to join the team.  He went on and on for months about that.  He wasn't selling an O line with prospective backups that could move into a starting role, future FA pickups or draftees that hypothetically could achieve that 6th ranking.  That's a huge difference.  

Now, if one chooses to believe that behind closed doors, Ron was trying to sell a franchise QB on those hypothetical things, then that's fine.  But it would make Ron a lackluster salesman.  "We had the 6th ranked Oline this year but we're not going to have Scherff in all likelihood next season and Flowers is a good bet to be gone, too.  But don't worry, we'll still be able to keep that ranking, or better, with players that have zero chemistry with the other members of our Oline and haven't proven they can do it here.  But they will, don't worry."  

I'm not buying that was the sales pitch.  

It's all good though. This is just a point JP was making that I happen to agree with.  It doesn't really matter which viewpoint we have on it anyway; we have Wentz (for better or worse) for a season and we have a lot more needs to fill now than we did at the end of the season.  As fans, we just have to hope for the best and see what moves they make this offseason.  

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They brought him back because they could pay the rest of the guarantees after Miami footed most of the bill in his one season there.  They then dumped him when he had no guaranteed money and was due a $10M salary.  If anything, that's being smart - not the other way around.  I'm willing to bet Flowers doesn't sniff $10M for a season on the open market.  There's a chance he could end up back here with his hat in his hand for say $5-7MM.

OK.  Fair point.  But certainly not the best way to build an Oline and keep chemistry going.  You're taking an awful big chance like that; you really don't want to be remaking your Oline season after season.  

Just now, kingdaddy said:

That remains to be seen....

No. It doesn't.

There was no one better on the market that we could have actually gotten. I guess that is part opinion. But it's an educated one.

To reiterate... that's not to say he was the best QB option on the market. He was the best QB option on the market who didn't have a no trade clause who wouldn't deny coming to Washington.

I'm not sure why that's so hard to grasp. We were never going to get Wilson. We were never getting Rodgers. Carr was never going to get traded. 

Does that mean the FO is doing well? No. But it's hard for me to blame the FO when the constant issue has been here for over two decades through multiple regimes and they've all failed. Our facilities stink compared to the league. We don't have 0% state taxes like Florida. We have scandals. We have a bad overall record over the last two decades. Why does anyone believe we can bring in whoever we want by snapping our fingers?

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

Keim rarely mentions a player for no reason.

While I agree that big time players who are playing elsewhere who have multiple options to find a new team where their salary gets carried over in a trade will likely prefer greener pastures than here.

Still, its the green that typically drives most players albiet not all in FA according to most agents-ex-agents when they've spoken about it.  I doubt for example all these players wanted to go to Jacksonville because hey who wouldn't?  😀  It's about the money for most.  My point is if they want a player like Honey Badger they likely can get him if they are willing to outbid. 

18 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Some posters on this site are speaking out against RR for dumping both Ionaiddis and Flowers with what appears to be no plan. While I'm interested to see where this all leads, I don't blame anyone for being confused, upset or angry about the direction of this team because it's not like they deserve the benefit of the doubt. As fans, we want to believe that our team is doing things the right way and try to remain optimistic BUT, talking ourselves into Carson Wentz as the best QB option out there and buying what the organization is selling is a tough buy for me.

Dumping Matt Ionaiddis and hearing his agent rip the organization bothers me too. Ion is a starting caliber DT on a lot of teams and he's a high motor guy who I think will be missed. I don't like hearing agents go public saying our mgmt lied to their players face. 

Meanwhile, teams like Denver, Jax, Chargers, Raiders are signing or trading for big time players while we are selling Carson Wentz and nothing else thus far. 

There had better be some big time moves announced soon because these moves thus far are uninspiring. And I like and respect RR. 

I've watched many of the same folks that are currently confused, upset or angry pat all of the prior regimes on the back at some point for their offseason moves, and where has that gotten us?

Some of us didn't need to talk ourselves into Carson Wentz, we immediately saw it as a huge upgrade and all along understood the reality that we weren't going to be in the running for Wilson, Rodgers or Watson.  And that even if in the .00001% chance we were to get one of those guys, we'd have to do all sorts of cap shenanigans (way more than what you've seen the past few days) and we would be short many premium draft picks for several years to boot.

I believe this staff has shown to be pretty damn good at managing and coaching the offensive line, so if there's any place I'm willing to trust their judgment - that would be it.  Scherff leaving was a foregone conclusion 12 months ago - that's not a surprise.  Flowers was a surprise, but honestly - it really shouldn't have been, to anyone that was aware he had 0 guarantees and was due $10MM (I didn't realize his # was that large until recently).

As for the D-line departures, I think we all knew Settle was gone, barring us making a trade and sending Payne elsewhere.  Matty I was a surprise, but his play hasn't been the same since he got that contract and anyone who is honest with themselves, should be able to acknowledge that.  I'm not about to get caught up in regards to Matt's agent being salty either - it's quite possible when they met a few weeks ago, they didn't see him as a cap casualty and things change.  They know that and just don't like it.

I'll admit that I was a bit taken aback upon hearing of these cuts, but the more I've digested the details around it all - they make a lot more sense to me.  More sense than this organization has made in quite some time.  I've not been impressed by much of any of the free agency deals made around the league, as it seems to be getting just more and more out of control, with each passing year.  I'm not about to bemoan this regime not wildly spending at this point in time.  I understand it can be boring, but sometimes boring is just what the doctor ordered.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I've watched many of the same folks that are currently confused, upset or angry pat all of the prior regimes on the back at some point for their offseason moves, and where has that gotten us?

Some of us didn't need to talk ourselves into Carson Wentz, we immediately saw it as a huge upgrade and all along understood the reality that we weren't going to be in the running for Wilson, Rodgers or Watson.  And that even if in the .00001% chance we were to get one of those guys, we'd have to do all sorts of cap shenanigans (way more than what you've seen the past few days) and we would be short many premium draft picks for several years to boot.

I believe this staff has shown to be pretty damn good at managing and coaching the offensive line, so if there's any place I'm willing to trust their judgment - that would be it.  Scherff leaving was a foregone conclusion 12 months ago - that's not a surprise.  Flowers was a surprise, but honestly - it really shouldn't have been, to anyone that was aware he had 0 guarantees and was due $10MM (I didn't realize his # was that large until recently).

As for the D-line departures, I think we all knew Settle was gone, barring us making a trade and sending Payne elsewhere.  Matty I was a surprise, but his play hasn't been the same since he got that contract and anyone who is honest with themselves, should be able to acknowledge that.

I'll admit that I was a bit taken aback upon hearing of these cuts, but the more I've digested the details around it all - they make a lot more sense to me.  More sense than this organization has made in quite some time.  I've not been impressed by much of any of the free agency deals made around the league, as it seems to be getting just more and more out of control, with each passing year.  I'm not about to bemoan this regime not wildly spending at this point in time.  I understand it can be boring, but sometimes boring is just what the doctor ordered.

I don't like the cuts. But that is an initial reaction. None of us know how this is going to play out and there is a chance that there is a plan in place. We will know in the next month or so if there is or isn't. Much easier to begin figuring out an opinion at that point than now.

But we won't REALLY know until September or later.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Conn said:

This is just dumb nitpicking because we’ve had 20+ years of incompetency. Understandable, so maybe I shouldn’t have said dumb at all. But every year teams dump overpaid guys—even good guards— that they can’t come to an agreement with on an extension and replace them with someone similar for cheaper in FA, and it’s lauded as smart. You think FLOWERS of all people isn’t replaceable and is worth having agita over and calling Rivera an unreliable flip-flipper bc he believes we’ll still have a good OL? Zoom out a bit, it’s silly. We made Flowers into what he is just like we’ve made the other cheap OL off the scrap heap lately. 

The OL has been good since Rivera got here despite them pulling scrap from every pile imaginable and covering for tons of injuries—I think it is a position group that they deserve some grace and belief on. 

Everyone on earth knew Scherff was gone two years ago. I guarantee his pitch about us having a good OL did not pimp Scherff as a part of it. And I highly doubt anyone would go “well you have a great OL coach and great OL production with all sorts of personnel configurations over the last two years, but without Flowers?? Now that you cut Flowers that’s a bad pitch and I’m out”. The whole idea about the importance of the “pitch” is stupid at this point anyways, Rodgers/Wilson were not coming here even if we had a line full of 25-year old Jon Ogden clones. Rivera would have been doing his team a disservice if he didn’t try, but those guys weren’t coming here. The “pitch” in relation to what we’re doing with roster moves now is an extremely dumb narrative meant to prey on nervous fans who want us to sign some damn players. It’s sports radio fodder to fill the time until something else notable happens. 

I'll just have to respectfully disagree on this.  

I share JP's viewpoint:  I see it as holding a HC accountable for the moves he makes vs the things he says.  Now, perhaps Ron gets more of a pass because we all know he's the last and best option we have as a HC.  This, I can understand.  

2022 Cap Hits

Sims 2.6mil

JD 2mil

Both kickers combined 3mil

McCain 3.5mil - this is my guess assuming voidable years per JD contract profile

About 11mil.

Now we’ve  got well over 60 players contracted, so in real terms that cap impact is nearer 8mil under the rule of 51.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

The final TD was an INT return....off Farve. Looks like he went 0/4 with 2 INTS in is only show for them....I think...

I believe that was the only time we ever got a W in a game where Favre took a snap...