Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

Mathieu can play some ball.

I'm not sure if he would play the buffalo nickel like Collins did, but one thing is certain; Honey Badger can cover guys downfield.  Ball hawk, too.  Top 5 NFL ints since 2018   https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-interceptions-since-2018

I am pretty sure his position is Strong safety, but KC lined him up all over the field.  Probably depends on the matchup, and what they asked him to do.  Has some sacks, too.

I hope we do sign that guy.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skeenzfan said:

We didn't boost his career by drafting him at 5. Player draft position has nothing to do with their performance on the field. He earned all the pro-bowls with his play on the field and has been consistently ranked among the top guards in the league. I don't get this one-way loyalty that we expect from players while teams can cut anybody at anytime. Teams make business decisions all the time so why can't players do what is best for them? 

You didn’t understand the post you quoted or any of my other posts on the subject.

I like what we have done so far. Wentz is a QB who is an upgrade. If he isn't the answer we draft a qb next year.

Keeping players like jd, mccain, cam sims are smart moves that will pay off.

Dumping some of these contracts in the players we released was the right thing to do for the short and long term.

We need to add a player or two on offense and defense but we are letting the market dictate our moves.

Overall this has been a smart and pretty boring period. That's a good thing. 

CC

• Like 2

Both Kurl and HB are SS.

Not sure I wanna devote big money into running 3 S sets between Kurl, McCain and HB. Felt like we needed to do that w/ Collins to justify his paycheck but we are free of that responsibility now.

If we wanna run 3 S for some plays we can flex Fuller and have a great trio.

No thanx on HB

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

LB Wagner, TE Hooper, OL Williams, all released so no comp pick impact. Bring back Lucas as swing tackle. I do like LB Carter as depth from the Panthers. Is Collins an option on less money to come back at his new role?

All that preserves the comp 2023 3rd.

Hit the draft in a much better shape. WR2, backup QB, LB options, potential CB stud. DL and DB depth day 3 etc.

Then look at the FA post draft when player acquisition no longer count in the comp pick formula.

That said, we will likely get the Mathieu today :ols:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It will be very interesting to see what they do at guard and how much they pay. 

Two targets at guard I liked to replace Scherff prior to the Flowers release were :

Mark Glowinski, about to turn 30 signed with NYG 3 year 18mil, 2022 cap hit 3.4 mil

James Daniels age 24, gone to the Steelers 3/27mil 2022 cap hit 4mil

Flowers saved what, 10mil ? Keen to see how that is back filled in FA.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

It will be very interesting to see what they do at guard and how much they pay. 

Two targets at guard I liked to replace Scherff prior to the Flowers release were :

Mark Glowinski, about to turn 30 signed with NYG 3 year 18mil, 2022 cap hit 3.4 mil

James Daniels age 24, gone to the Steelers 3/27mil 2022 cap hit 4mil

Flowers saved what, 10mil ? Keen to see how that is back filled in FA.

10M now, but they also couldn’t come to an agreement on a desirable (to the team) extension for Flowers. So anyone they sign will likely fulfill that need as well.

It may be that we go OG at #11 or trade down and select an OG.

Andrew Norwell is the best of the bunch that's left if we sign him.  I use different WS to get info on these FA.  In this case Walterfootball gives their report on him.  On their site he ranks out as the #6 BAP at OG.

WalterFootball.com: 2022 NFL Free Agents - Guards

jaguarsb_logo.gif Andrew Norwell, G, Jaguars. Age: 30. star.gifstar.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif
Andrew Norwell has been a solid guard for quite some time, but he'll turn 31 during the 2022 season, so he could be headed for regression soon.

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Don't talk to me about the roster till training camp. We're in the first inning of free agency. Let's see where we're at when the dust settles.

I agree with you.  And we may very well end up with an Oline that is just as good or maybe even better.  That'd be great.  I don't get too fixated on the roster until the preseason games start.  It's a malleable thing, so there's no reason to get too worked up about it unless there's a situation like the one we had at LB last offseason.  

However, the final roster still has zero to do with the point that JP Finley was making:  Ron was uber confident in (up until yesterday) this Oline.  So much so, that he was making it a focal point of his big sales pitch - the most important sales pitch of his tenure here, and maybe in his head coaching career, since he was trying to land a real stud QB.  And today, two of those five players - both starting guards - are now gone.  That's a pretty big switcharoo there for a unit that he has that much confidence in.  

That's a 100% solid point that JP was making.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

I can wear my old Rypien jersey again! Sort of.

that conversation made me go and watch some Rypien highlights.

1991 6 TDS in a 56-17 blowout of the Falcons, Clark snagging 4/200 and 3 scores.

The final TD was an INT return....off Farve. Looks like he went 0/4 with 2 INTS in is only show for them....I think...

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Andrew Norwell is the best of the bunch that's left if we sign him.  I use different WS to get info on these FA.  In this case Walterfootball gives their report on him.  On their site he ranks out as the #6 BAP at OG.

WalterFootball.com: 2022 NFL Free Agents - Guards

jaguarsb_logo.gif Andrew Norwell, G, Jaguars. Age: 30. star.gifstar.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif
Andrew Norwell has been a solid guard for quite some time, but he'll turn 31 during the 2022 season, so he could be headed for regression soon.

I think Daryl Williams is better. Listed as RT but played guard too. Also ex Panther from the same era. A cap casualty from the Bills this offseason. Greater position flex which Rivera loves.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Redwards said:

I agree with you.  And we may very well end up with an Oline that is just as good or maybe even better.  That'd be great.  I don't get too fixated on the roster until the preseason games start.  It's a malleable thing, so there's no reason to get too worked up about it unless there's a situation like the one we had at LB last offseason.  

However, the final roster still has zero to do with the point that JP Finley was making:  Ron was uber confident in (up until yesterday) this Oline.  So much so, that he was making it a focal point of his big sales pitch - the most important sales pitch of his tenure here, and maybe in his head coaching career, since he was trying to land a real stud QB.  And today, two of those five players - both starting guards - are now gone.  That's a pretty big switcharoo there for a unit that he has that much confidence in.  

I think he knew Scherff was gone which means the oline he was pitching likely included Schweitzer. I mean EVERYONE knew he was gone

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think Daryl Williams is better. Listed as RT but played guard too. Also ex Panther from the same era. A cap casualty from the Bills this offseason. Greater position flex which Rivera loves.

That's true 1974.  The only issue with Williams is that he got injured but he didn't miss a game during his last 2 years in Buffalo from what I've heard PLUS he wouldn't go against our comp pick as he was released but he doesn't grade out as well as Norwell plus Norwell has played LG.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Not really. In fans eyes maybe. But do you really think he didn't know this was likely to happen when discussing the Oline? He definitely knew Scherff was gone. He had to know Flowers could be gone. Maybe, just maybe they have a plan that for obvious reasons that escape most fans he has decided not to provide in excruciating detail as it requires some negotiation. Fair enough he may have let people think what they want knowing it's not the true direction but again it does not help the team for him to broadcast every detail of thier plan. 

BTW: These guys started planning for this last year, some of them before last year. They already knew this was a possibility and have a plan for it. Fans think the team reacts like they do, in the moment. Just because you (meaning the metaphorical you, not you personally) can't see the plan does not mean there isn't one. 

They must really like who they have behind them and/or they feel like they can get a quality G or maybe 2 in the draft. Need to let this all play out before deciding the outcome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not too worried about the offensive line, Ron Rivera and John matsko have been paired together for Ron's entire tenure as a head coach and in that time they have an incredibly good resume when it comes to finding talent along the line and that has already shown itself here. 

Matsko must be good right, he was hand picked to be a professional offensive line coach by Joe bugel and hasn't done anything else since.

Maybe it was kizmet.

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, carex said:

I think he knew Scherff was gone which means the oline he was pitching likely included Schweitzer. I mean EVERYONE knew he was gone

We absolutely knew Scherff was gone, but we don't know if his pitch included Schweitzer.  I have a feeling it skirted the issue of Scherff leaving, since he was still a part of the team and a well-known commodity at the position around the league.  It wouldn't be much of a sales pitch to eschew a guy like Scherff for Schweitzer when making a pitch.  No coach is going to try and sell a QB on what they think is a great Oline but not include its best player or throw into that pitch the fact that said player may not be here very long.  And QBs absolutely know the Oline that is going to be in front of them, so it isn't as if you can grease over a name like Scherff and the QB won't notice.

Also, as JP was pointing out, he just dumped a starting guard that was really good for us that the team just brought back.  So what was the point of that?  I think JP (and a ton of fans for that matter) is just getting weary of Ron's flip-flopping, which has been going on since his first season in various ways, and it does make one start to question things now in Year 3.

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

That's true 1974.  The only issue with Williams is that he got injured but he didn't miss a game during his last 2 years in Buffalo from what I've heard PLUS he wouldn't go against our comp pick as he was released but he doesn't grade out as well as Norwell plus Norwell has played LG.

I actually think we come away from the combine knowing we needed a vet QB. That resulted in the Wentz trade which in turn required cap moves to facilitate. I reckon we looked at position groups and must see OL as a strong draft option. I expect us to have IOL as a high draft priority (clearly taking into account what unfolds in free agency over the next few weeks).

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm not too worried about the offensive line, Ron Rivera and John matsko have been paired together for Ron's entire tenure as a head coach and in that time they have an incredibly good resume when it comes to finding talent along the line and that has already shown itself here. 

Matsko must be good right, he was hand picked to be a professional offensive line coach by Joe bugel and hasn't done anything else since.

Maybe it was kizmet.

Agree, with Matsko being at the Panthers for 8 years or so you would presume he has a very strong view on some of these veteran options still available too.

3 year void on such a small contract.  It's another sign of them about to make a play or two.  Clearly they want every inch of cap space as possible.  And if building cap space was just for kicks to push it all into 2023, this shows that's not the case.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

If Mathieu was still under contract with KC, would you happily trade away a 2023 third rounder to get him.

Thank you. Throwing away a 3rd plus a huge contract to a safety that isnt generational is pure idiocy. In fact, at least if we traded a 3rd for him we would expect the Chiefs to eat the Signing bonus and therefore get him a reduced rate in terms of cap hit.

@Skinsinparadise another thing that is interesting regarding Wentz' contract ... is the way the team/FO has worded the acquisition. We'll learn more today obviously, but it sounds like they think he can be "they guy" ... and if he's NOT "the guy" then there's likely a new front office in place here.

So there's a lot of room to work with on this Wentz contract. A simple restructure frees up substantial cap space this year, at the expense of next year. I guess they feel they made the moves they had to make, and want to remain flexible in the cap arena next year, but is just curious they'd rather cut Flowers/Ion before re-doing the Wentz deal to lower the hit this year.