Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I will never ****ing understand how comp picks work. It's sorcery like taxes or hiring a competent staff.

you get someone for losing someone, IF you haven't already replaced that someone with a free agent. 

8 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I will never ****ing understand how comp picks work. It's sorcery like taxes or hiring a competent staff.

taken from the NFL site, as clear as it gets :ols: and lack of playing time with Scherff may be a negative factor....

The number of compensatory picks allotted each year is limited to the number of teams in the league (32), per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. However, compensatory picks are not divided equally among the teams, and no team can receive more than four compensatory picks in a single year. To qualify for compensatory picks, teams must end up with more or better qualifying free agents lost than gained in a particular year.

Teams are awarded compensatory draft picks between Rounds 3 and 7 based upon a formula, which is not released by the league, that takes into account a player's average salary per year (APY), snap count and postseason awards.While there is an expected level of compensation for a player based on the amount he has signed for, his playing time (or lack thereof) in the upcoming season could alter the expectation.

Keep in mind: To qualify as a compensatory free agent, players need to have been signed as unrestricted free agents before May 3 and rank high enough among their peers to qualify for the compensatory-pick formula. Players who were released by their previous team are not eligible for the formula, so they're not included in the key additions and losses here.

Edited by Est.1974

34 minutes ago, mojo said:

So we refuse to pay McKissick 4 mil?  We are the absolute worst.

Refuse or can't?

Arent we still strapped for cap space with respect to making sure we have enough money to pay McLaurin next offseason?

Hearing the word "exodus" thrown around right now with players leaving DC, I'm not surprised, but it's not because we didn't want any of them to stay.

For example, I'm not convinced Ron really wanted to cut Collins, that was a money decision now that we took on the Wentz contract.

Edited by Renegade7

10 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I wonder if it's a scheduled tweet, there's a **** ton of algorithms out there that I also don't understand.

It's related somehow if I recall to salary received by the players percentage wise compared to average NFL salaries or something like that?

6 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

What are you talking about?!

Wentz throws to his running backs often. He threw a million screens while in Philly to running backs and Taylor/Hines had 100 targets with 80 catches last year combined. JD is a special player and would hate to see him go. 

I've read article after article over the past few days about how Wentz rarely throws to his backs.  I'm not talking about a designed screen.  Those articles are talking about the back being an option on a play and Wentz always looking away from them.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's related somehow if I recall to salary received by the players percentage wise compared to average NFL salaries or something like that?

Something like more picks awarded to teams with a larger difference in APY salaries of players lost vs APY salaries of players gained.

This free agency has been exciting so far. We started it with >30m of cap space. Now we have no money left, lost Scherff, McKissic, Settle, a 3rd pick this year, a 2nd round pick next year and haven't signed Terry yet. All that for Carson Wentz and Bobby McCain. 

Now free agency just started, a lot still to be done. But so far, I honestly don't like any of the moves we have made. We also could have spent a 5th rounder on Shaq Mason to replace Scherff. But I guess we'll wait for another David Sharpe or Derek Carrier situation to unfold to trade away some assets.

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 2

6 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

I’m questioning whether you’ve ever seen Wentz play football. 

From college to the pros, Wentz’s favorite targets have been TE’s and RB’s. 

As I answered on a different post, I've read multiple articles since we traded for Wentz and all said that throwing to backs is not something he does - that McKissic is basically wasted in our offense.  If this is true, then my reasoning stands: Why bring him back?  Or a guy like him onboard?  It'd be a monumental waste.  Unless Turner plans to call designed screens a lot more than normal.

• Thumb down 1

8 minutes ago, Panninho said:

This free agency has been exciting so far. We started it with >30m of cap space. Now we have no money left, lost Scherff, McKissic, Settle, a 3rd pick this year, a 2nd round pick next year and haven't signed Terry yet. All that for Carson Wentz and Bobby McCain. 

Now free agency just started, a lot still to be done. But so far, I honestly don't like any of the moves we have made. We also could have spent a 5th rounder on Shaq Mason to replace Scherff. But I guess we'll wait for another David Sharpe or Derek Carrier situation to unfold to trade away some assets.

We can free up a minimum of 20m tomorrow when they officially sign Wentz and release Collins. We will almost certainly move 13m of Wentz contract into next year.  I wanted more than anyone to be big free Agency spenders on day 1, but its obvious that Rivera and Co don't want to re-do or release anyone until its officially Free Agency. For once we are doing it the right way. 

• Like 1

"To qualify for compensatory picks, teams must end up with more or better qualifying free agents lost than gained in a particular year".

I always wondered why we never got many compensatory picks, but seems this is going to happen when your team is a perennial free-agent wasteland to be avoided...

Edited by FuriousD

28 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Refuse or can't?

Arent we still strapped for cap space with respect to making sure we have enough money to pay McLaurin next offseason?

Hearing the word "exodus" thrown around right now with players leaving DC, I'm not surprised, but it's not because we didn't want any of them to stay.

For example, I'm not convinced Ron really wanted to cut Collins, that was a money decision now that we took on the Wentz contract.

We are not remotely strapped for cap space, at all. We could clear up $20M easily without compromising the future hardly at all if we had a reason to. 

13 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

That's pretty big money for a backup.  I wonder what the true money is?

Because he’s not a backup, he’s competition for the starting spot. I bet those are the inflated agent numbers though 

• Like 1

Will Fuller would be great signing for a 1-2y deal as a reclamation project, if you can get him at ~10mil per year. He is a solid #2 to Terry and an insurance for Samuels, plus you can still sign Terry to a 20mil/y contract. 

Edited by oraphus

13 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

"To qualify for compensatory picks, teams must end up with more or better qualifying free agents lost than gained in a particular year".

I always wondered why we never got many compensatory picks, but seems this is going to happen when your team is a perennial free-agent wasteland to be avoided...

It’s the opposite. We signed too many FA’s from other teams and had too few of our own homegrown FA’s leave and sign big contracts. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Conn said:

We are not remotely strapped for cap space, at all. We could clear up $20M easily without compromising the future hardly at all if we had a reason to. 

Key word being "could", right?

Because I've looked several different places and currently see us sitting around $5 million in cap space right now:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2022/

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-salary-cap-2022-off-season/

Even $20 million is not a lot, considering exrending McClaurin could take at least half or most of that, and we haven't talked about signing draft picks yet : /

Edited by Renegade7

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Trying to make up for losing Gregory at the last second. Sounds like they had him but then kept "Nickle and diming him" after they agreed until they one too many changes. Sounds liek Bruce move.

I don't know the details, but my guess is that Dallas wanted some financial protection if he gets suspended again.  Not an unreasonable thing to ask for, seeing as Gregory has spent the majority of his career suspended.  He is a good pass rusher when he is on the field, and they will miss him.  However, there is a pretty good chance that they would have been missing him even if they had signed him, since the odds of him getting suspended again are probably above 50% based on his history.  At least this way, the Cowboys are not paying him and missing him at the same time.

54 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I wonder if it's a scheduled tweet, there's a **** ton of algorithms out there that I also don't understand.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks/

None were expected. 

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-formula/

The first is generally pretty darn close and the formulas match even if not 100% provided by the league. 

Also too soon to say we will because they can cancel out if we sign a few guys. 

I like Tyrod Taylor. Not a good starter, but a good backup. Can do a little bit of damage w/ his legs too, nothing crazy tho.

I like that pick up for the Giants, especially w/ oft injured Jones. They wont be the disgrace to the game itself, helpless Magikarp flopping around when he inevitably misses time

I wonder how much Mariota would cost...

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

This is crazy but as he sits out there and RB spots get filled, with Melvin still out there to possibly bring the price down further once he signs…I start to eye Fournette on a medium 2-3 year contract. Never thought I’d say that but he and Gibson would be an attractive duo and let us fill out the roster elsewhere in the draft. 

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Because I've looked several different places and currently see us sitting around $5 million in cap space right now:

Even $20 million is not a lot, considering exrending McClaurin could take at least half or most of that, and we haven't talked about signing draft picks yet : /

So, Washington certainly "can" make some cap room easily enough. But the problem is the team is heading towards needing to give out some really big contracts in the near future and will have some hard decisions to make as is.

When you're not that good a team to start with and you're already losing more than you're gaining in Free Agency and then you're spending future cap dollars to try to patch your current roster... it's just not a great position to be in.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

McLaurin’s year 1 cap hit could be small just like lots of other big contracts. It’s really not a problem if they want to make room, they don’t need to do it all ahead of time, they can let it come to them and see what room they need by the time the contracts are actually signed and submitted to the league (if we ever sign anyone lol). There’s a large enough window between agreeing to a contract and it becoming official to do whatever we want in that regard. Most of the teams who preemptively cleared a ton of space were either majorly OVER the cap and need to get under by tomorrow, making room for huge QB or Franchise Tag cap hits, or going after Watson—meaning they need to show they have cap flexibility to support him and help draw him in. Most other teams can do what we’re doing and clear space as they/we need it 

• Like 2