Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

41 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

People should not post things like that (meaning the Nick Korte guy, not directed at you higskin). It's impossible to know what, if any comp picks there will be. A pretty silly and convoluted equation. And we jsut started free agency. Not to mention the Jags have the money and need to spend it. And in fairness it looks like a pretty good haul. I swear people whine jsut to whine sometimes. 

It isn't like the jags lose those picks.  Honestly, cycling every other year (FA spend / FA walk) might be a solid way to do it...  hmm

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Thanks 1

The more I think about it, I don’t think we should overpay for McKissick. I know it’s a big if but if Curtis stays healthy I think he takes a lot of carrys and catches from him just to get him the ball. I think you can find another or draft a guy that can fill the void. 

Edited by TerrificTim
  • Like 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

Four things in defense of the Jaguars spending spree:

1. When Snyder spent like the Jags did yesterday, as a fan, it was exciting as hell to watch. I knew that it probably wasn't going to work out in the long run but damnit it was fun to track Redskin1 knowing that absolutely no player was beyond our reach as long as "The Dan" was signing checks. Even enduring the ridicule of other teams, reporters, and fans was sort of a right of passage as we were the bend the rules bad boys of the NFL and there's a certain maverick sense of pride that comes with that.

2. The Jags, according to Sheehan, had to spend big bucks (though admitedly not this much) because they were in danger of violating the cba for being too far under the cap two years in a row.

3. The Jags smartly used the advantage of being in tax free Florida as additional leverage in negotiations. Can't blame them for that. It increases the real value of their offers by anywhere from 10 to 30% depending on the state.

4. How else is a small market perennial losing team going to attract players to Jacksonville (of all places) without significantly outbidding other more attractive destinations?

Hats off to "The Khan" for  going for the gold with gusto and giving their fans a reason to be excited about next year even if it ends in failure.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

The longer it goes and the more RBs find a home, the more likely we can bring back McKissic on a deal smaller than originally reported. Edmonds got ~6M, Connor got ~7M, Tevin Coleman definitely got less than that (I expect McKissic to out-earn him, just haven’t seen those numbers). And those numbers are the inflated agent totals, the deals are probably less in reality. McKissic’s price may come out closer to ~4M avg which would be better than initially reported but not exorbitant. I’m also fine drafting a RB in the mid rounds and another in the later rounds if necessary to replace him, if he does get paid somewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

The longer it goes and the more RBs find a home, the more likely we can bring back McKissic on a deal smaller than originally reported. Edmonds got ~6M, Connor got ~7M, Tevin Coleman definitely got less than that (I expect McKissic to out-earn him, just haven’t seen those numbers). And those numbers are the inflated agent totals, the deals are probably less in reality. McKissic’s price may come out closer to ~4M avg which would be better than initially reported but not exorbitant. I’m also fine drafting a RB in the mid rounds and another in the later rounds if necessary to replace him, if he does get paid somewhere. 

If we came out of free agency retaining McKissick and signing two or three  "Rivera Specials" (moderately priced under the radar players that end up outoerforming their contracts) I will be very happy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

1. When Snyder spent like the Jags did yesterday, as a fan, it was exciting as hell to watch. I knew that it probably wasn't going to work out in the long run but damnit it was fun to track Redskin1 knowing that absolutely no player was beyond our reach as long as "The Dan" was signing checks. Even enduring the ridicule of other teams, reporters, and fans was sort of a right of passage as we were the bend the rules bad boys of the NFL and there's a certain maverick sense of pride that comes with that.

2. The Jags, according to Sheehan, had to spend big bucks (though admitedly not this much) because they were in danger of violating the cba for being too far under the cap two years in a row.

3. The Jags smartly used the advantage of being in tax free Florida as additional leverage in negotiations. Can't blame them for that. It increases the real value of their offers by anywhere from 10 to 30% depending on the state.

4. How else is a small market perennial losing team going to attract players to Jacksonville (of all places) without significantly outbidding other more attractive destinations?

Hats off to "The Khan" for  going for the gold with gusto and giving their fans a reason to be excited about next year even if it ends in failure.

I wouldn't call them a perennial losing team.. they've been to the AFC championship a lot more than we have been to the NFC championship in the last 27 years lol

14 minutes ago, TerrificTim said:

The more I think about it, I don’t think we should overpay for McKissick. I know it’s a big if but if Curtis stays healthy I think he takes a lot of carrys and catches from him just to get him the ball. I think you can find another or draft a guy that can fill the void. 

Rather roll the dice on a ~4th round rookie.  Don't pay market price for a FA RB unless you are close...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

27 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I mostly agree with your points. But to #2 - the minimum CAP is the amount spent over a 4 yr period, not 2 consecutive years. So Sheehan has that at least somewhat wrong. I believe the new 4 yr period started in 2021 (someone correct me if I have it wrong). So they really have another 2 yrs after this to spend thier minimum. But no reason to save it if you have players you want so I have no problem with thier spending spree. Makes sense. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

This guy would be perfect for us, experience, ability and leadership. Next to Kam Curl while he is on his Rookie contract

While he is a good safety, he is looking for a huge payday (probably his last big contract). I don't know if Ron and Co. will break the bank for him

• Like 3

PFF cap guy just on.   He said of course you can create cap room by basically borrowing from the future.

But also said this isn't how Rivera's staff have liked to roll.  They typically have a pay as you go approach -- meaning they don't adopt the Cerrato future is now approach with the cap so he implied this could be interesting to see what they do. 

• Thanks 1

Seems like Rivera and co. Are waiting it out for the league year to start and get Wentz in the building. I expect a similar approach to the last couple years, that is quietly go about their business and get a few impact players at the lower tier of spending.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF cap guy just on.   He said of course you can create cap room by basically borrowing from the future.

But also said this isn't how Rivera's staff have liked to roll.  They typically have a pay as you go approach -- meaning they don't adopt the Cerrato future is now approach with the cap so he implied this could be interesting to see what they do. 

Agreed. I dont know why people think contracts dont really matter and their is no such thing as "Cap Hell". The truth is the salary cap has increased 8-10% YoY for the last 20+ years and so you can borrow a $1.00 today in exchange for $1.10 tomorrow because of this certitude. This doesn't mean that these contracts and guarantees are not real, but that the future value/penalty DOES NOT outpace the growth in Revenue/Salary Cap.

• Like 2

Barry Svrluga (Washington Post Sports) on The Junkies sort of reiterated what we already knew, that Washington does well evaluating fill in talent later in FA and gets guys that outplay their contracts.  Seems like that's what they are planning to do in this FA given their salary cap "pay as you go" strategy.

@Skinsinparadise Brad Spielberger (PFF) must be making the rounds because he was on The Junkies said there's a ton of MLB options in FA for Washington. Mentioned later tier LB's like Kyzer White, Josey Jule, etc.

Also mentioned McKissic is probably going to be in the range of 3yr/$12 mil and Washington should be in the mix for that

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Need depth. Schweitzer graded out really well when he replaced Scherrf last season - we wont miss beat with him at starter.

It's a deep draft at O'Line.

I agree.  They will acquire 2 additional guys at least somehow, maybe 3.  SCharles will be getting some competition for the 3rd string role.  

Here's the thing: Left Tackle is locked up with the Leno Jr. extension.  LG starter is locked down by Flowers, Center by Rouiller, and RT by Cosmi.  

So you have 4 of 5 starters completely set.  This is good.  

However, you lost Scherff, and you're probably going to lose Cornelius Lucas, who was a great backup swing tackle. My guess is he's going to get some $$ from somebody to come in and compete for a starting job.  I could be wrong, we'll see if the market develops for him.   If you move Schweitzer to starter, then you're really thin at the backup positions.

Also consider Rouiller, Schweitzer and Cosmi all missed significant time last year, as did the backup (and newly re-signed) center Larsen. You just can't assume all of them will stay healthy again this year.  

And add to that Charles hasn't shown ANYTHING at tackle except that he can be beat like a drum, and not much more than that at Guard. Frankly, I think unless something seriously clicked with him, he's likely a cut after camp.  So at the very least, you're bringing in competition for the role he had last year, 3rd string backup guard.  

What this all means is they probably have their 5 starters.  And they have a backup center.  But they are going to either sign or draft (and probably both) multiple guys for depth.  At least another guard, and definitely a swing tackle.  Unless, of course, they can retain Lucas.

To me, Lucas is the key.  If they can re-sign him, then you need a backup guard, which you can draft, and you're kindof done.  If you lose him, then you really need to find a replacement, and given that's your backup swing tackle, you probably need to bring in multiple guys to figure out which one can work.

• Like 6