Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Dallas and their Benches vs. WFT

KDawg

35 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This is something I've been trying to wrap my head around as well. Does our playbook not have hot reads? Do we not have any way to beat it when a team brings extra guys like Dallas was doing all day yesterday?

If we do have that baked into the system, why isn't Heinicke hitting them? Is he not seeing the pressure pre-snap? Is he not adjusting protections properly? Is he just not looking at his hot for some odd reason...trying to do too much and not wanting the quick stuff?

IIRC Rivera noted yesterday in his post-game presser that Heinicke was holding the ball too long, so clearly we're not the only ones who see it.

I don't know about Jr.  But Norv's system ALWAYS had hot reads. You can close your eyes and just see Troy side-stepping a guy and gently lofting a ball to (most often) Emmit or Moose, or whoever, easy as pie.  

I'm sure Jr.'s playbook has it also.

However, some (not all) of the pressure yesterday was because the OL was just being whipped.  And there's no hot-read for that.  A hot read is useful if the defense brings extra guys, you get a guy to go where they were, and you hit them. 

If you're 5 are being dominated by there 4, then you still have 5 possible receivers being covered by 7 defenders. 

In the situations where they did bring extra pressure, that's where you really want receivers to break routes off and find soft-spots in zones, because the remaining defenders have more ground to cover.  

I keep coming back to this, but defense gets a lot easier when you KNOW the offense has to pass.  When you are behind the sticks, it really helps the defense out.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, justice98 said:

This was a game for Curtis Samuel to step up and help out after the Mclaurin injury and he was as invisible as always.   

He's still on a strict playcount.  Only had 14 snaps last game.  I'm really curious about how he's used, is it all things that could be quick hitters, lateral movement, etc?  Are they scared of injury so they don't have him ever really open his stride and push it?

• Like 2

We take our benches, some Porta-potties (cause we dont want to use public toilets in texas), our band and our dirty dance team (just the strippers) all one our sideline in jerryworld. And a bunch of trash. It needs to look like a dump on our side after the game.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dunfer said:

We take our benches, some Porta-potties (cause we dont want to use public toilets in texas), our band and our dirty dance team (just the strippers) all one our sideline in jerryworld. And a bunch of trash. It needs to look like a dump on our side after the game.

If they play like they did yesterday it’ll look like one during the game.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Apparently Seattle complained that our sideline bench heaters on the visiting sideline kept going in and out, and they clued Dallas in on that (for what reason, i dont know), and it’s a league rule that visiting teams can have control over their own sideline. Nobody has ever brought their own benches to an away game though, until yesterday 

We do know they email each other so it was probably easy to find out. 

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If they play like they did yesterday it’ll look like one during the game.

yeah our o got dominated, but our d almost pulled it out. its always opposite of what you think is going to happen with this team. Still **** dallas in the butt

Edited by dunfer

27 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

We do know they email each other so it was probably easy to find out. 

Yeah, I’m aware that teams email teams. My point is, why did they feel the need to let dallas know about it in the first place. Let them find out on their own 🤷🏻‍♂️ if they’re cold, then they’re cold. Let them deal with it on their own :) 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

10 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I for one was proud that we never gave up in this game, years gone past we would have been beaten by 40+ points. 

And this is important. I thought they were going to put 40+ on us. This team after the bye is different. The D was played good. It was nice to see that. The O rallied a little after the half. But not good enough to get the job done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

This is something I've been trying to wrap my head around as well. Does our playbook not have hot reads? Do we not have any way to beat it when a team brings extra guys like Dallas was doing all day yesterday?

If we do have that baked into the system, why isn't Heinicke hitting them? Is he not seeing the pressure pre-snap? Is he not adjusting protections properly? Is he just not looking at his hot for some odd reason...trying to do too much and not wanting the quick stuff?

Heinicke is still a small QB at 6'1". He can't really sit in the pocket and hit reads. Turner kind of stopped calling screens after the Gregory int in the 1st quarter. 

Our offense has to work, as in the motions have to open up throwing lanes for Heinicke to see and throw. 

Of course I heard it from my Cowboy co-workers today, god it was annoying as hell.

But one guy did pretty much say the same thing I did; Dallas defense knew what to do; pressure the QB.

Why Turner doesn't have designed roll-outs is beyond me. TH has very good success when he does get out of the way of the huge pile-up a.k.a. o-line/d-line mauling each other.  The WFT beat a good team in the Bucs, and dictated what they wanted to do, and they had Suh to deal with, so Turner had the pieces there to be alot more effective against Dallas.

I've seen quite a few QBs who are on the shorter side either backing up more or drifting left or right to get better lane vision. TH has the legs to make some shifty runs, but he looked like he was told to stay in the pocket; it was starting to collapse and he still stood there, and eventually got swallowed up. 

I'm really starting to sour on Turner as well. The ever present run on 1st downs is so predictable, yet he continues to call it. 

We all know the Eagles watched this game and will try the same thing Dallas did, so if turner doesn't get this corrected, i'll be in front of his house with pitchforks and torches. Why, why does this team always get crappy ass coordinators, and the few times we get a good one we let them go, as if the WFT front office has a superiority complex.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah, I’m aware that teams email teams. My point is, why did they feel the need to let dallas know about it in the first place. Let them find out on their own 🤷🏻‍♂️ if they’re cold, then they’re cold. Let them deal with it on their own :) 

Because a Dallas win help them in the Paloffs' hunt?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Jerry runs the league and knows everything. Goodell is just a front man.

I'm all for giving the opposing team bad benches. Let them suffer splinters. Warp it so they have back aches. Remove the heating from their locker rooms, too! Better yet, filter sneezing powder through the air ducts. Blast obnoxious music every time their coach tries to speak.

Poor pampered athletes need their seat warmers. Boo hoo! They should have it at least as bad as the fans.

11 hours ago, Mooka said:

Heinicke is still a small QB at 6'1". He can't really sit in the pocket and hit reads. Turner kind of stopped calling screens after the Gregory int in the 1st quarter. 

Kyler Murray thinks Heinicke is a giant.

16 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think it's not just the number of carries, but the type of carries. So often, they want Gibson to charge through the center of the line where he's going to get more of the big hits. In fact, they openly talk about wanting him to fall in love with the four yard gain or the three yards and a cloud of dust gain.

I'm not saying that's wrong. Sometimes, you have to take what's there versus looking for the big play and risk losing yards, but it sort of reminds me of Clinton Portis. I remember when Portis came here he was billed as a home run threat. Somehow, with us, he became Eddie George or John Riggins. I always wondered what happened to the big play ability. I sometimes wonder that about Gibson, too. He's supposed to have this incredible speed, but we rarely see it in action.

this is exactly what I was referring to in the QB thread. You can say the same thing about Pierre Garcon, or Santana Moss. 

Heck, when we got Shanny, I thought we'd have some one cut philosophy runs and be able to make big plays and 1200 yard RBs out of nobodies. We did the later, but with Alfred Morris and it wasn't on those big runs but on steady ball control offense. Roy Helu, nope. Even Royeter? Nope. 

We just haven't been a big play team for a long time. 

The thread already being 6 pages long I am sure it has come up already.....

Curtis Samuel.  Is he still hurt or nah?  If he is still too hurt to be fully integrated into the offense, get him off the field.  It's too late into the season and these games are too important to have a #2 WR out there who can maybe contribute.   If he isn't hurt, then what the hell, figure out a way to get him the ball more.  He was signed to be playmaker.  Use different ways to get the ball into his hands.  Sweeps, tosses, mis-direction, screens, short slant routes etc etc etc.......do something.

Cam Sims.  I can't ever get a good read on his value.  He shows up every third game or so with a huge highlight reel catch to remind us he is on the team, but then goes back to being a ghost.

McLaurin.  The idea that he was shutdown or blanketed is crazy.  Go watch all the film being posted of him running downfield with his arm up like hey....heyyyyyyyyyyy, throw the ball....come on!   He was hurt on an underthrown ball that he had to go up and climb over a DB to try and catch, and nearly came down with it anyway.  You can't be asking him to do that every game.  He is a stud and he will do it to make the play, but he isn't a tall WR with the arm span to grab those catches with just a normal jump.  He puts his body on the line to help the QB and while it is admirable, it isn't worth him not being able to play in the next game or more. 

Scott Turner.....ugh.   Was it Ron that brought him in?  We went from Shanahan to McVay, to one of the more vanilla coordinators.  It is a stark contrast to go from coordinators that excelled in making a contributor out of everyone on offense to a guy that doesn't even seem to know half the skill position players exist in the first place.

Defense, they are banged up and out-manned by the better offenses in the NFL but they continue to fight and are still doing enough to win games if the offense could just compliment them a bit more during games.

Going to be a wild final 4 games.  

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 3:13 PM, NoCalMike said:

McLaurin.  The idea that he was shutdown or blanketed is crazy.  Go watch all the film being posted of him running downfield with his arm up like hey....heyyyyyyyyyyy, throw the ball....come on!

Scott Turner.....ugh.   Was it Ron that brought him in? 

5y495x.jpg

• Haha 3