Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Dallas and their Benches vs. WFT

KDawg

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nice to see Cole and Landon working their way out of the deep end. Collins has been insanely good the last few weeks. Our LBers are becoming a strength. 

WJ3 has been playing much better too. Fuller is playing really well. Been quiet in the last couple weeks and that's a good thing.

Curl is a beast.

Allen is on track for double digit sacks, while being great against the run.

Payne is getting better every week at closing on the QB, while being a monster against the run. He's having a year like Allen has last year. Lock this man up long term.

Our defense is just balling. It's fun to watch.

On offense, we have no QB. AG is wildly and incorrectly used. Matt Jones 2.0. I'll say this about AG. If the offense had a real QB and was putting points on the board with an affective passing attack, I think AG can be our RB1. But teams know we have to run the ball all the time, so it's a grind. He's not built for that.

Offensive line looked really good later in the game.

Heinicke holds the ball too long, throws inaccurate passes, refuses to tuck it and run, doesn't see presnap blitzers. He's bad and it's getting guys hurt. 

Imagine what this defense Would be like if we had 2 above average D ends    (sorry, tongue in cheek).

• Like 1

Just now, KDawg said:

Yeah, but Gibson doesn't fit a role (the way he's being used) either.

So there's that.

I think he's being asked to be a power runner, because we're doing everything to keep the ball out of the QBs hands. If we had a legit passing attack, he'd be a solid RB1 in this offense. He also wouldn't face 8 man boxes every play.

Just now, method man said:

At this point, if he is ok playing buffalo nickel in 2022, I keep Landon. If you do, the only starting position you’d need to upgrade is FS. I’m interested to see what this D can do in 2022 with 10/11 starters back

Absolutely. I'd go hard at FS. Draft or FA. There looks to be a few good ones, like Maye and McCourtney available.

1 hour ago, fearlessNelms said:

Heinicke stunk, the o-line stunk and as a result, the offense as a whole obviously stunk. That said, this game was lost when we turned the ball over on back to back possessions, which led to 15 Dallas points. Dallas had 9 points on real drives, as their other 18 points came off a fumble scoop and score and two short fields on a pick and Gibson's fumble. 

I think this is the best summary and why I'm not so upset at the result of yesterday's game.  

The first quarter was terrible.  We didn't get any points off the Collins pick and their defense ****ed us all over the field.  It sucks to give up 27 points but when you realize 15 of those came off turnovers...it's a fixable problem, IMO.  I'll take 9 points on real drives all day, every day.  Defense did pretty well.  Didn't fear Dak, Zeke, Cooper all day, really.  But Tony Pollard seems to be the guy that makes that unit go and he was out yesterday.  Still, they had some weapons available and weren't threatening by any stretch.

The offense was terrible yesterday but it did get marginally better as the game went on.  We only lost by a touchdown and had guys out of the parking lot playing DE.  Had the game kept going in the fashion of the first quarter/first half, I'd be more depressed about it today.  I'm not one for moral victories usually but we won the 2nd half...again, playing with a pretty weakened roster.  

We'll see what the matchup looks like again in a couple of weeks.  If we're healthy, I like our chances.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I think he's being asked to be a power runner, because we're doing everything to keep the ball out of the QBs hands. If we had a legit passing attack, he'd be a solid RB1 in this offense. He also wouldn't face 8 man boxes every play.

Absolutely. I'd go hard at FS. Draft or FA. There looks to be a few good ones, like Maye and McCourtney available.

I know you're on a kick about Heinicke, but he was asked to be a power runner last year, too. He just didn't have as many touches as he is on pace for. He's worn down.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I know you're on a kick about Heinicke, but he was asked to be a power runner last year, too. He just didn't have as many touches as he is on pace for. He's worn down.

I agree about all of that. We're on the same page about getting a RB1 or work horse type. 

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree about all of that. We're on the same page about getting a RB1 or work horse type. 

Many of us were shouting at the roof tops after last years playoff game that Gibson is not an every down back and should not be counted on to be that type of back. Dont get me wrong I think Gibson has a place on the team just not as an every down back. McCissic has the ability to take some of the strain off Gibson (really became evident with him out yesterday) but we still very much need a true grinder.

• Like 1

I think the support for Patterson is simpler than that. It really doesn't have a lot to do with how good he is or isn't. It's just that he's the underdog. He's a local town Cinderella. So we cheer every success and root for him. I think a lot of us see ourselves in him or like to pretend we can. It's very similar to why some root so hard for Heinike.

The off the street or undrafted player makes good story is very powerful.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah, but Gibson doesn't fit a role (the way he's being used) either.

So there's that.

Gibson has a role as a lead back. He should be kept to under 20 touches a game if possible. They could use a guy who can give you a ten physical carries a game and Patterson is not that guy. I like having Jonathon Williams back because he is a physical runner who has performed well when given the chances in the past during his career. They basically need a better Jonathon Williams next year. Someone like Tevin Coleman on a 1 year cheap deal makes sense to me

1 minute ago, method man said:

Gibson has a role as a lead back. He should be kept to under 20 touches a game if possible. They could use a guy who can give you a ten physical carries a game and Patterson is not that guy. I like having Jonathon Williams back because he is a physical runner who has performed well when given the chances in the past during his career. They basically need a better Jonathon Williams next year. Someone like Tevin Coleman on a 1 year cheap deal makes sense to me

Lead back is the wrong role. Gibson should be in the 10-15 touch a game range.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Lead back is the wrong role. Gibson should be in the 10-15 touch a game range.

He proved last year's usage made a lot of sense for him. He averaged 15 touches a game and thrived in the occasional 20+ touch game (was excellent in both Dallas games and was solid to end the season vs Philly). I think the right answer is between last year's usage and this year's

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Another blocked kick. I mean if we score again to make it 27-26, are you going for two or taking the kick. You just know we’re missing that kick to draw level. :hitfan:

I'd forgotten this in all the drama. How the hell do we get another kick blocked?! Are we looking at Cheeseman as at fault now because it's presumably not Way or the different kickers.

Just now, method man said:

He proved last year's usage made a lot of sense for him. He averaged 15 touches a game and thrived in the occasional 20+ touch game (was excellent in both Dallas games and was solid to end the season vs Philly). I think the right answer is between last year's usage and this year's

I disagree. Last year he was very fresh. He had like 100 touches in two years at Memphis. He was a rookie. He's now two years of constant battering ram. 

2 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

What really pisses me off about this loss is how McCarthy guaranteed a win- basically unheard of out of a coaches mouth and how Dallas brought in their own benches as an @#$% you and we let them make good on it. Usually when stuff like that happens, the team that talks ends up looking like fools after they get beat down. The Raiders had a team gathering on the Chiefs logo at midfield yesterday before the game and the Chiefs said that was major motivation for the whoopin' they put on the Raiders. 

I'm not sure there is an accurate record keeping of results when a coach/player guarantees a victory.  It's not something that happens very often.  To say that usually when stuff like that happens, the talking team ends up getting beat down seems anecdotal and not rooted in fact.

Of course it sucks that they ran their mouth, brought their own benches, had more fans in the stadium than we did, etc.  But I just don't see how that's supposed to add this 'fire' to our team to just be way better at football than they actually are.  Of course the Chiefs said after the fact, that it was a major motivation to whoop the Raiders.  I'm sure if we would have ended up pulling out the win, we'd have some guys saying the same thing.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I disagree. Last year he was very fresh. He had like 100 touches in two years at Memphis. He was a rookie. He's now two years of constant battering ram. 

How is 15 carries a game being a battering ram? He wasn't even top 25 in touches per game last year. 

1 minute ago, method man said:

How is 15 carries a game being a battering ram? He wasn't even top 25 in touches per game last year. 

He had 100ish total touches at Memphis. In his career. He basically tripled that in one year.

First I am sick of us playing the Cowboys after they have extra time off after their Thanksgiving game. NFL sucks for doing that. Make them play a team outside our conference. Too much advantage giving them extra rest. Check the records and you will see they have a much higher winning percentage for that game than the rest of their all time schedule. You could tell they got their lags back and we didn't. Now to make matters worse we have the birds after their bye week. Another thing I am sick of is hearing that TH does not have a strong enough arm. For years I watched Fran Tarkington win a million games and he had a below average NFL arm. He had better teams than us and that is what matters. We have had strong arm QBs here before and they sucked. I would rather have a smarter QB than a dumb strong arm QB any day.

12 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

I'd forgotten this in all the drama. How the hell do we get another kick blocked?! Are we looking at Cheeseman as at fault now because it's presumably not Way or the different kickers.

The announcers were saying that it was the opposite side of the field as the players and they had to rush, so when they got there they were rushed.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I actually enjoyed seeing the stadium full of Cowboys fans.  It is a perfect reflection of how badly Snyder has eroded the fanbase.  

I had to listen to the first 3 quarters on the radio. Became evident real quick that elevated crowd noise indicated a play went the way of Dallas.