Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Assault on education

Cooked Crack

On 2/15/2022 at 7:42 PM, Renegade7 said:

Is it actually and in all school districts?

I remember in one of the school board threads I went looking for Loudoun County's elementary school curriculum, and the best I could find was a general list of classes per grade.

Are you saying that if you are a parent you already have access to the syllabus for each of their kids classes online, even elementary school?  I find it debatable that's consistent among all school districts, need to see the carfax on that one.

It's my understanding that all states that accept federal money should have the information available on-line. 

It's also my understanding that in some states clear goals and content are not easy to find, and there is often confusion (even among educators) with the difference between Standards and Curriculum. Add to that the first page or so of Google searches will lead to public relations statements regarding CRT searching what is taught and at what grade in your state can be more than a notion.  

• Like 1

Sarasota legislators vote to cut $12 million from Sarasota schools

The four Republicans representing Sarasota County in the Florida House voted Wednesday for a state budget that cuts $12 million from Sarasota schools because the district approved a mask mandate in defiance of Gov. Ron DeSantis.

State. Reps Fiona McFarland, Tommy Gregory, Will Robinson and James Buchanan all voted for the $105.3 billion House budget. The spending plan includes $200 million in cuts to 12 school districts with mask mandates.

Gregory, McFarland and Buchanan live in Sarasota, while Robinson lives in Bradenton and represents a district that includes a portion of northern Sarasota County. Michele Rayner, a St. Petersburg Democrat whose district also includes a portion of Sarasota County, did not vote on the budget.

Click on the link for the full article

This is where we're at folks. As a school administrator, this annoys the hell out of me. Regionally, a school near me has anti-maskers and maskers suing the school over its mask policy. Education won't get done with all of this stuff happening. It's a constant torpedo of s@$t.

22 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

This is where we're at folks. As a school administrator, this annoys the hell out of me. Regionally, a school near me has anti-maskers and maskers suing the school over its mask policy. Education won't get done with all of this stuff happening. It's a constant torpedo of s@$t.

There needs to be severe enough consequences for filing bull**** lawsuits against schools such that people and organizations will stop doing it.  I'd be fine with prison time for frivolous lawsuits that fall short of the standard for contempt of court honestly.  The people doing this should lose their right to bring any suit in civil courts.  They're abusing that right and don't deserve it.

Walk Two Moons cliff notes. 🤓

The novel is narrated by a 13-year-old girl named Salamanca (Sal). Sal's mother has recently left Sal's father, and Sal's grandparents are taking her on a cross-country road trip to Lewiston, Idaho to see her mother. Sal loves nature and was very close to her mother before she left. On the trip, Sal entertains her grandparents by telling a story about her friend in Euclid, Ohio, Phoebe Winterbottom, whose mother suddenly disappeared and left their family too, and about Ben Finney, with whom Sal wants to begin a romantic relationship. Throughout the book, as Sal's story unfolds and their car travels west, she reveals more details about Phoebe, and why her story reminds Salamanca of her own. The more she tells her grandparents of Phoebe's story, the more she feels like her story is less connected to Phoebe's story. When Sal reaches the Missouri river her grandmother or Gram is bitten by a snake. Sal reaches Coeur D'Alene and Gram suffers a stroke and has to stay in a hospital. Gramps wanted to stay with Gram, but he wanted Salamanca to reach her mother in Lewiston so he gives her his car to drive. Sal reaches Lewiston but then the readers find out that Salamanca's mother had died in a bus crash while coming here and Salamanca knew that. She then learns to get over her sadness which shows the theme.

Sounds like a sooper dooper controversial read. 🙄

Why they ban just this one?

So a teacher at my daughters school identifies as non-binary and insists on being called Mix (insert name) instead of Mr. or Mrs..  WTF?  That’s simply egotistical BS.  Nobody gives a damn what you identify with, especially middle school kids. Kids have enough to deal with at that age. They shouldn’t have to be concerned with being ostracized over referring to their teacher by the wrong pronoun.

Edited by mojo

2 minutes ago, mojo said:

So a teacher at my daughters school identifies as non-binary and insists on being called Mix (insert name) instead of Mr. or Mrs..  WTF?  That’s simply egotistical BS.  Nobody gives a damn what you identify with, especially middle school kids. 

Their name, their choice!

Edited by spjunkies
  • Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Their self indulgent, over inflated ego.  Their choice.

if it’s such an issue, wouldn’t using their first name be easier?  Of course not, then this person couldn’t ensure that the everybody adhere to her/him/it’s viewpoint.  It’s all ego driven in my opinion.  And if having a grade school kid refer to you as the wrong pronoun is so upsetting, grow a set. Unless they already have a set, I’m not sure.

Edited by mojo
  • Thumb down 2

12 hours ago, spjunkies said:

It’s not a name it’s a title, but so long as things are reasonable, I’m game.  There’s an obvious need for a gender neutral title, so having one makes sense.  If we end up with 80 unearned titles because people that have built an identity around wearing boots, want to be referred to as Bt. Smith… I’m joining the old people screaming at clouds.  

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Destino said:

It’s not a name it’s a title, but so long as things are reasonable, I’m game.  There’s an obvious need for a gender neutral title.  That makes sense.  If we end up with 80 unearned titles because people that have built an identity around wearing boots, want to be referred to as Bt. Smith… I’m joining the old people screaming at clouds.  

We always had a neutral title. The rule in English was that when referring to a person of unknown gender, you use the masculine pronoun. At least as I was taught. 

The statement "If anybody tries to get through that door, shoot him" applies if said person is female. 

But. Our society was (and is) discriminating against women. And the activists decided that they couldn't force society to give women equal jobs and equal pay, right off. So they would loudly demand what they could get, instead. And demanded that we change the language. Leading to things like authors having to go through their writings, and insure that their pronouns altered gender in a strict pattern of every other use, or paragraph. Or else you're discriminating. 

In short, loudly fighting "discrimination" that wasn't. 

(/old person screaming at the clouds)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Larry said:

We always had a neutral title. The rule in English was that when referring to a person of unknown gender, you use the masculine pronoun. At least as I was taught. 

The statement "If anybody tries to get through that door, shoot him" applies if said person is female.

I don't think that's true.  I don't remember ever being a taught a rule, but as long as I can remember there were cases where the plural pronoun was used for somebody of an unknown gender.

Even as I kid, people would say things like "Somebody forgot their lunch box." if the person that forgot the lunchbox was of an unknown gender and not somebody forgot his lunchbox.  And in your above sentence, I'm pretty sure things like "If anybody tries to get through that door, shot them" is what we'd have defaulted to even when I was young in a truly gender neutral situation.

I think what you are seeing is an unconscious bias.  The natural assumption is the person trying to get through the door is likely to be male.  And so the default unconscious bias pronoun to use is male.  Now in this situation the stereotype to default to the male pronoun is a negative one. But there are/were lots of cases where people default to the male pronoun in positive cases.

10 hours ago, mojo said:

So a teacher at my daughters school identifies as non-binary and insists on being called Mix (insert name) instead of Mr. or Mrs..  WTF?  That’s simply egotistical BS.  Nobody gives a damn what you identify with, especially middle school kids. Kids have enough to deal with at that age. They shouldn’t have to be concerned with being ostracized over referring to their teacher by the wrong pronoun.

Isn't Mix a tittle?  Like you'd say Mix Smith.

At some level, to me that's easier than the old Ms., Miss, Mrs. situation which kids have had to deal with forever.  It seems to me if every teacher (male or female) would just use Mix. that would just make it easier for the kids.

(Historically Mrs. is only for married women and yes growing up in the '70s and '80s some people cared if you used the right title.  It isn't a general female title. )

What's the teacher do if they get it wrong?  Does the teacher just correct them or is there some sort of punishment?

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mojo said:

Prayers up for your daughter.  Hope she gets through it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Prayers up for your daughter.  Hope she gets through it.

Prayers up for that teacher. I can’t imagine her grief and confusion when a 12 year old refers to it by the wrong pronoun.

Edited by mojo
  • Thumb down 1

He says administrators gave him the OK and hundreds of students took part. Many were waving pride flags.

School district spokesman Jason Wheeler said some of their behavior, like waving flags that could offend someone else, violated the school’s code of conduct.

Indefinitely suspended for waving pride flags