Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alec Baldwin charged with Involuntary Manslaughter in The Death of Halyna Hutchins

88Comrade2000

8 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

With many of them you can clearly see if rounds are in all of the chambers by looking at the gun from the side (i.e., perpendicular to the sights/barrel). There’s a gap between the chambers and the body of the gun that allows the bullets to rotate into the action and expel gas when the gun is fired. Takes less than a second to check if you know what you’re looking for (and I’m assuming an armorer would).

I'm gonna have disagree here.  First, if you look perpendicular to the barrel, you likely can't see into the chamber.  See below.image.thumb.png.ba8cb6777abbddb5f7dde0c53b142fdd.png

If you look at certain guns from just the right angle, you may see in the chamber that is currently up against the barrel.  But that is by far the exception.  The gap is normally very small because you don't want much gas expelling there.  Here are several different angles of other revolvers, none of which I would trust to see in each chamber closely enough that I would call the gun cold without opening it up.

charter-arms-pitbull-45-acp-1.jpeg.70e428df25ab65a8bc5f99deaae11bb1.jpeg

i1driz06ofh51.thumb.jpeg.f8f91dcdb8095a2e9ca71e892ba97ef3.jpeg

the-revolver-is-dead.jpeg.51ddf6904a5c9e18221555c81a494d04.jpeg

Smith-Wesson-66-2.75-Muzzle-min-1900x1024.thumb.jpg.f09a289fd734c4aeef0393e3f41866f5.jpg

• Like 2

Can confirm. Definitely have revolvers that require you to open them up to check/clear

also never seen it be instructed that you do it any other way. 

-add

So unrelated note. 

think they’re gonna still release the movie?

how weird will that be…

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm gonna have disagree here.  First, if you look perpendicular to the barrel, you likely can't see into the chamber.  See below.

And I'll have to disagree with you in return. 🙂  The white area in your first image between the chamber and the action is where the rear lip of the bullet would be exposed. You clearly see all of the rounds in the chamber in the image below.
image.png.b05a244900271019696c02f3c65cfbc4.png

The gap is no doubt different depending on the type of gun, but the revolvers I've seen are made this way.

51 minutes ago, tshile said:

Can confirm. Definitely have revolvers that require you to open them up to check/clear

also never seen it be instructed that you do it any other way. 

TOTALLY agree, my point was a revolver is not a complicated piece of machinery. It only takes a second to check and you will know if some revolvers are loaded even before you open them up. The extra second to check the gun before using it is worth someone's life, and whoever had that job messed up in the worst way.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

And I'll have to disagree with you in return. 🙂  The white area in your first image between the chamber and the action is where the rear lip of the bullet would be exposed. You clearly see all of the rounds in the chamber in the image below.

I got what you are saying now.  I thought you were referring to the other end of the cylinder.  Though looking at that end, you can see there is something in the cylinder but wouldn't not know if it was a blank, had already been expended, etc.  I would imagine if they were using a revolver that has that large of an opening there, the crew would at least have spent casings in there so it didn't look empty on screen.

Out of curiosity, I went and checked the guns we have here and also searched pictures of some of the more popular models.  I would guess that the gap being large enough to easily notice if the weapon had bullets in it is the exception, not the common occurrence.

image.thumb.png.28366f4e32befcd9c919d33338fe1474.png

• Like 1

It's obvious that that woman didn't really have any business being the head armorer on a major movie set. Sounds like she was very inexperienced and did way too many potentially dangerous things.

That being said, the Daily Mail article from the tweet that @The Evil Geniusposted makes an interesting point. Many times the reason that some movies end up with young and inexperienced people in positions like that is because the producers and studio don't want to pay for someone more experienced as that could impact their bottom line.

I'm certainly not trying to absolve the young woman of her part in it, as it's clear that she had a history of not being safe with firearms. But I think there's also the larger systemic issue at play as well. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

image.png.b05a244900271019696c02f3c65cfbc4.png

The gap is no doubt different depending on the type of gun, but the revolvers I've seen are made this way.

TOTALLY agree, my point was a revolver is not a complicated piece of machinery. It only takes a second to check and you will know if some revolvers are loaded even before you open them up. The extra second to check the gun before using it is worth someone's life, and whoever had that job messed up in the worst way.

Looking at the gap between the cylinder to see if a revolver is loaded is just silly.

The only way to ensure that a revolver is unloaded is to unlock the cylinder, open it, look to see if there are any rounds chambered.  While the cylinder is open,  you can look through the barrel to ensure that there are no obstructions.  It take all of 5 seconds.

21 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but it seems like you really don't like Alec Baldwin and are rooting for this outcome.  

Loved his Trump on SNL. I just think as a producer on this film, he has set himself to held liable for wrongdoing on this film.

19 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

My point is just because she's someone's daughter doesn't mean she has the same skillset, attention to detail, and/or safety concerns. 

We see cronyism in all walks of life.

• Like 1

'Rust' armorer says she doesn't know how live ammo got on set, according to attorneys

The gun supervisor for the film "Rust," on which a crew member was killed after a gun held by actor Alec Baldwin went off during rehearsal, has no idea where the real bullet came from, she says.

Hannah Gutierrez was responding to "untruths that have been told to the media," a statement released Thursday night by her attorneys to NBC News said.

"Safety is Hannah's number one priority on set," reads the statement from attorneys Jason Bowles and Robert Gorence. "Ultimately this set would never have been compromised if live ammo were not introduced. Hannah has no idea where the live rounds came from."

CNN reached out to Gutierrez's attorneys and the "Rust" production office Friday morning for comment.

Two crew members from the upcoming Nicolas Cage film "The Old Way," which Gutierrez acknowledged in a podcast was her first film experience as head armorer, told CNN that they felt she had been reckless on that project.

But on "Rust," the guns were locked up every night and at lunch, and Gutierrez had no idea how the live round that killed director of photography Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza got on set, Gutierrez's attorneys say in their statement.

"Hannah and the prop master gained control over the guns and she never witnessed anyone shoot live rounds with these guns and nor would be permit that," the statement said, according to NBC.

Click on the link for the full article

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Looking at the gap between the cylinder to see if a revolver is loaded is just silly.

The only way to ensure that a revolver is unloaded is to unlock the cylinder, open it, look to see if there are any rounds chambered.  While the cylinder is open,  you can look through the barrel to ensure that there are no obstructions.  It take all of 5 seconds.

I totally agree with you, and that’s exactly my point, it takes seconds to check if a revolver is loaded and you should always open it check. It’s not a complicated piece of machinery, the fact that you may be able to tell if it’s loaded even without opening it was demonstrating that. I definitely DON’T think checking without opening is a good, correct way to check if is loaded. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, China said:

"Hannah and the prop master gained control over the guns and she never witnessed anyone shoot live rounds with these guns and nor would be permit that," the statement said, according to NBC.

Since someone was plinking with these guns, Hannah and the prop master didn't have control over the guns at all times. That alone is enough for me to see that they didn't have control of the guns.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Loved his Trump on SNL. I just think as a producer on this film, he has set himself to held liable for wrongdoing on this film.

We see cronyism in all walks of life.

Maybe as far as some of his potential profit being impacted, but certainly not by doing time.  That's silly.

I don't think any of us know the SOP on film sets.  That's going to be what judges, lawyers and the like consider when assigning responsibility in this incident.

Edited by KAOSkins

4 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Bro, you can't preach anti-gun **** and then  not expect equal punishment for a crime you committed that you push for.  

Seems to me that if he really was "anti-gun" he wouldn't allow himself to be featured in a movie where he's waving one around.  I guess everyone has a price tag on their morals, though.  Looks like Alec's was a B-movie. 

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Seems to me that if he really was "anti-gun" he wouldn't allow himself to be featured in a movie where he's waving one around.  I guess everyone has a price tag on their morals, though.  Looks like Alec's was a B-movie. 

He definitely was anti-gun.  Which is why is he should be charged with involuntary manslaughter at mimimum and do the max sentence.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/alex-baldwin-gun-control-gun-rights-advocates-national-rifle-association-prop-gun

Edit: **** him, do the time you expect others to do **** face

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

Just now, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

He definitely was anti-gun.  Which is why is he should be charged with involuntary manslaughter at mimimum and do the max sentence.

As I said before, you won't get much of an argument from me either way.  I can see it from both sides...which, I know, I know...Tailgate cardinal sin, one must dig their heels in and never waver on a position.

I find your stance interesting though.  anti gun + terrible accident involving gun = charges & maximum sentence.  would pro gun + terrible accident involving gun have a different outcome?

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

As I said before, you won't get much of an argument from me either way.  I can see it from both sides...which, I know, I know...Tailgate cardinal sin, one must dig their heels in and never waver on a position.

I find your stance interesting though.  anti gun + terrible accident involving gun = charges & maximum sentence.  would pro gun + terrible accident involving gun have a different outcome?

Anyone that did what he did should serve the max sentence.

Was it murder? Lawyers for 'inexperienced' Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed blame mystery disgruntled crew member for placing live round inside box of prop ammo to 'SABOTAGE' Alec Baldwin movie

Attorneys representing Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed suggested that a disgruntled film crew member may have planted the live round that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins inside a box of prop ammunition in a bid to 'sabotage' Alec Baldwin's film.

In the wake of the fatal shooting that also wounded director Joel Souza, several crew members have come out claiming that they were overworked and denied hotel rooms in the vicinity of the New Mexico set. 

Gutierrez Reed's attorneys floated the theory that one of those 'disgruntled' crew members may have planted the live round on set as an act of revenge, during an interview with the Today show's Savannah Guthrie on Wednesday.  

'I believe that somebody who would do that, would want to sabotage the set, would want to prove a point, want to say they're disgruntled, they're unhappy,' Jason Bowles said. 

'And we know that people had already walked off the set the day before... and the reason they are unhappy is they're working 12 to 14 hour days, they are not given hotel rooms in and around the area, so they had to drive back and forth an hour to Albuquerque, and they're unhappy.'

Click on the link for the full story

• 1 year later...

Alec Baldwin Will Be Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter in ‘Rust’ Killing

The actor Alec Baldwin will be charged with involuntary manslaughter for handling the gun that discharged on the set of “Rust,” killing its cinematographer, as will the movie’s armorer, who loaded the gun, prosecutors in New Mexico announced on Thursday.

The criminal charge was a remarkable development in the career of Mr. Baldwin, 64. He has been a household name for decades — a leading man in films who hosted the Oscars and played Jack Donaghy in “30 Rock” and former President Donald J. Trump on “Saturday Night Live.”

Prosecutors said they would charge him with involuntary manslaughter, saying that he had a duty to ensure that the gun and the bullets were properly checked, and that he should never have pointed it at anyone. “You should not point a gun at someone that you’re not willing to shoot,” the district attorney for Santa Fe County, Mary Carmack-Altwies, said in an interview. “That goes to basic safety standards.”

Mr. Baldwin has long denied culpability, noting that he had been told the weapon he was rehearsing with on the set did not contain live ammunition. “Someone is responsible for what happened, and I can’t say who that is, but I know it’s not me,” Mr. Baldwin said in a television interview last year. And he has said that he had been simply following direction on where to point the gun when it went off, killing the film’s cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins.