Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alec Baldwin charged with Involuntary Manslaughter in The Death of Halyna Hutchins

88Comrade2000

Surprised, noone posted this.  Big story from past week.  Should Alec faces charges for accidently killing Halyna Hutchins with a prop gun?

There’s no denying Alec Baldwin’s role in on-set shooting tragedy  

‘Rust’ actor says filming felt ‘life-threatening,’ raised fears of Brandon Lee-style death  

In fatal shooting, some political foes take aim at Baldwin

Edited by 88Comrade2000

So initially it was assumed the woman, Hutchins, was killed by a gun that was fired with blanks.  Myself and another poster were discussing it in the random thought thread when it happened.  Now it has been discovered that the gun contained live rounds, or bullets.  That is astoundingly horrible.  Why in god's name would a gun being used on a movie contain real live bullets?  That is asking for a horrible accident to occur, and it did.  Someone needs to be found criminally negligent.    

• Like 4

Supposedly some of the crew used the gun for target practice outside the shoot. It’s possible a live bullet or fragments was still in chamber.  

I think Alec could be in trouble not for firing the deadly shot but for criminal negligence for having unsafe work conditions. He is also one of the producers.  Supposedly the crew walked off the set in protest before this all happened.

• Thumb down 1

19 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

What they find with commercial plans crashes, it’s never one thing. It’s the negligence. It’s ignoring several little things that add up to a catastrophe. 

Someone was explaining on the news yesterday I think that you have to break so many rules to get to actually shooting someone. 

Should have had blanks

Should be checking the chamber 

Dont point guns at things you dont want dead

shouldn't use a REAL gun -- they makes movie props that are basically guns that you cannot put live rounds into because they wont fit in the chamber, but you CAN put blanks in. 

Knowing all that, it feels like you almost have to try to kill someone. 

All that said, it was an accident and there was someone on set who was supposed to be making sure this exact thing didnt happen. She was supposed to keep them safe. Shes like the prop engineer or something. If I am looking at anyone as being liable, its her first. But I didn't know he was a producer though so that may open him but to liability I guess. That or the ****ing shoot around they did. If he was involved in that......man. Sad story but this is why cats dont need to play with guns they aint toys. 

• Like 1

The prop master should have checked the gun personally, opening it up to check if there were any live rounds. It shouldn't have been used for target practice outside of the movie set anyway. Those people target shooting should have cleared the gun after use. Alex Baldwin, or anyone for that matter, should have checked out the gun to make sure it was either cleared or filled with blanks. There should be some criminal charges.

There are many to blame for this event. Personally, I think this movies should be shelved. They must have insurance for accidents happening. I expect to see a lawsuit from the families of the victims.

It's a tragedy that should be used as a learning experience. 

Too bad we don't have laws that protect the rest of us from gun violence. And why are the people killed with guns everyday less important than people on a movie set.

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

So initially it was assumed the woman, Hutchins, was killed by a gun that was fired with blanks.  Myself and another poster were discussing it in the random thought thread when it happened.  Now it has been discovered that the gun contained live rounds, or bullets.  That is astoundingly horrible.  Why in god's name would a gun being used on a movie contain real live bullets?  That is asking for a horrible accident to occur, and it did.  Someone needs to be found criminally negligent.    

I couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Supposedly some of the crew used the gun for target practice outside the shoot. It’s possible a live bullet or fragments was still in chamber.  

I think Alec could be in trouble not for firing the deadly shot but for criminal negligence for having unsafe work conditions. He is also one of the producers.  Supposedly the crew walked off the set in protest before this all happened.

That is beyond stupid and why on earth would they be allowed to do that?

18 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Someone was explaining on the news yesterday I think that you have to break so many rules to get to actually shooting someone. 

Should have had blanks

Should be checking the chamber 

Dont point guns at things you dont want dead

shouldn't use a REAL gun -- they makes movie props that are basically guns that you cannot put live rounds into because they wont fit in the chamber, but you CAN put blanks in. 

Knowing all that, it feels like you almost have to try to kill someone. 

All that said, it was an accident and there was someone on set who was supposed to be making sure this exact thing didnt happen. She was supposed to keep them safe. Shes like the prop engineer or something. If I am looking at anyone as being liable, its her first. But I didn't know he was a producer though so that may open him but to liability I guess. That or the ****ing shoot around they did. If he was involved in that......man. Sad story but this is why cats dont need to play with guns they aint toys. 

it's gun safety 101.  

Treat every gun as if is loaded.  Period.

Pull the mag, check the cylinder, break the breech, whatever, and make sure that there are no bullets in the gun.

Even if I see you unload a weapon and you hand it to me, I was taught to check for myself to make sure.  

Baldwin was/is an idiot for trusting anyone, but himself, for not checking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fwiw I know personally that I wouldn't check if I was actor handed the gun from the AD or prop master or armorer. Guns are not my area of expertise and I'd have no idea what to check. I would expect that the sme on set would do their job. 

Their will be civil liabilities from this. There has to be. I doubt criminal ones occur though. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Fwiw I know personally that I wouldn't check if I was actor handed the gun from the AD or prop master or armorer. Guns are not my area of expertise and I'd have no idea what to check. I would expect that the sme on set would do their job. 

Their will be civil liabilities from this. There has to be. I doubt criminal ones occur though. 

Me too. But I feel like a good prop manager would probably tell you to check those things just to teach and avoid situations like this. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

If an actor is going to be handling an actual firearm (not a prop) they should receive and be expected the follow the same training as anyone else.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is why everyone should receive training on how to handle guns in school. 

I realize there’s a lot else to fix with our gun problem, but so long as guns are so ingrained in our culture (how many tv shows and movies involve guns on some level? …), things like this would be avoided if people had the basic practice of checking a gun as soon as they acquire it, and checking it again before they store/use/hand it to another person. 

and the whole “you never point a gun at people. Ever” thing would probably go a ways toward helping too. She wasn’t even an actress in a scene. A gun should have never been pointed at her. For any reason. 

From what I read this morning, Baldwin was practicing the moving/aiming the gun at the camera (or at least explaining it) and it accidentally discharged. Not sure based on that, if it was aimed specifically at anyone or not. 

Actor Alec Baldwin was practicing removing a revolver from its holster and aiming toward the camera during rehearsal for the movie “Rust” when director Joel Souza heard “what sounded like a whip and then a loud pop,” according to a search warrant that provided grim new details about the final minutes of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins’ life.

In the newly released document obtained by the Los Angeles Times on Sunday night, Souza said the weapon had been described to him as a “cold gun,” meaning it did not have any live rounds. But the gun discharged, striking Hutchins in her chest and Souza in his right shoulder, according to a Santa Fe County, N.M., sheriff’s detective’s affidavit used to obtain a search warrant. Hutchins was pronounced dead at an Albuquerque hospital

Also there is this. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

If an actor is going to be handling an actual firearm (not a prop) they should receive and be expected the follow the same training as anyone else.

LOL, nobody is required to have training in this country to have a gun. The NRA would flip its ****. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

LOL, nobody is required to have training in this country to have a gun. The NRA would flip its ****. 

Yeah, you know what I mean. I was responding specifically to a post that said, "If I were an actor, I wouldn't know how to check so I wouldn't check either."

I was saying the responsible solution is to train anyone who is going to handle a gun on set in basic firearm safety.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

Yeah, you know what I mean. I was responding specifically to a post that said, "If I were an actor, I wouldn't know how to check so I wouldn't check either."

I was saying the responsible solution is to train anyone who is going to handle a gun on set in basic firearm safety.

I guess. Im not defending Alec Baldwin, who I think is an asshole, but I can imagine him viewing a gun as a prop because, to him, that’s all it is. He’s probably pointed movie set guns at more people than a Navy SEAL. Why the hell would a movie set gun ever have a live round in it?  It bogles my mind that somewhere along the line, someone even loaded the gun in the first place.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Surprised, noone posted this.  Big story from past week.  Should Alec faces charges for accidently killing Halyna Hutchins with a prop gun?

There’s no denying Alec Baldwin’s role in on-set shooting tragedy  

‘Rust’ actor says filming felt ‘life-threatening,’ raised fears of Brandon Lee-style death  

In fatal shooting, some political foes take aim at Baldwin

no. But the armorer should. I don’t know a lot about guns but I can’t believe it is that hard to tell the difference between a loaded and unloaded gun for a professional. How do you declare a gun empty unless you are absolutely sure it was empty. And apparently it is not the first time she has made this mistake. She was fired from her last job because of it.

I heard an interview with a studio armorer who said there is no way live rounds should be anywhere near a movie set, much less chambered in a gun being used for a scene.  Something went horribly wrong there.

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

no. But the armorer should. I don’t know a lot about guns but I can’t believe it is that hard to tell the difference between a loaded and unloaded gun for a professional. How do you declare a gun empty unless you are absolutely sure it was empty. And apparently it is not the first time she has made this mistake. She was fired from her last job because of it.

I think you're conflating the armorer, a woman relatively new in the position,  with the assistant director.  The assistant director, not the armorer, was fired from a previous movie after an incident.  He is the one who reportedly declared the gun "cold" and handed it to Baldwin

Edited by Dan T.

Can anyone explain to me why the all the douchebag conservatives are sprinting to the front of the line and climbing on top of each other to talk **** about Alec Baldwin?  I know everything these people do defies logic, but this is right up there with their immediate support for Isreal as a true head scratcher that I just dont get.

Most of their BS is painfully obvious but I just dont get why they care about this.  

1 minute ago, 86 Snyder said:

Can anyone explain to me why the all the douchebag conservatives are sprinting to the front of the line and climbing on top of each other to talk **** about Alec Baldwin?  I know everything these people do defies logic, but this is right up there with their immediate support for Isreal as a true head scratcher that I just dont get.

Most of their BS is painfully obvious but I just dont get why they care about this.  

Baldwin had a recurring role on SNL as Donald Trump, who he played as a moronic narcissist.  They didn't like that sacrilege, accurate though it was. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

Any chance you know why they care about Isreal too?

Jewish votes and selling arms to Israel. They buy lots from us using the money we give them. 

I'm neutral on Israel these days, given their apartheid attitude toward Palestinians and stealing more of their land and trying to starve them out.

2 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Jewish votes and selling arms to Israel. They buy lots from us using the money we give them. 

I'm neutral on Israel these days, given their apartheid attitude toward Palestinians and stealing more of their land and trying to starve them out.

I dont even have an opinion but, the Jews supposedly killed Jesus and ya know, Christian conservatives.  Seems like a strange juxtaposition.

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 1