Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

We clearly don’t have a #1 QB right now. It’s an open competition IMO.

The staff's first choice was to bring back Heinicke, which was essentially a rubber stamp for Howwell starting. I see Brissett as a guy who can push and mentor SH, which is good.

I think SH remains QB1 for the coaches.

• Like 2

Ron stated the Howell is QB #1 on the depth chart. That doesn't mean he's the "starter" on opening Sunday.

He'll start OTA's and training camp with the other 1's and get all the reps in as the "#1 QB". Unless he totally ****s it up, or Brissett outperforms him by a mile, Howell will be the Day 1 starter. Shouldn't be that hard to understand.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't want a QB competition. I want Howell to be named the starter and given the starters reps and starters attention throughout minicamps, OTAs, etc.

Open competitions are dumb. If you have two QBs you have zero.

Commit to a guy. If Howell really stinks up the joint after given all the opportunities at least we'll know for sure, and its always easier to go to the veteran afterwards if we have to.

I like this approach. Its too easy for a vet to beat out a kid. Vets know don't take any chances, do exactly what the coaches want, be a mediocre game manager. The kid needs the reps and needs to succeed or fail. I don't want to wait to see Sam wait to get his chance/fail in 2024 because Brissette was 1% better than him in this camp. I want a backup plan now since the fail rate is so high for QBs.

I am happy to see others suggesting it would be wise for us to draft a QB. Its foolish to draft one every 4 years and they wonder why we struggle to develop one.  I don't want a trade up but do want to take one that falls into our laps.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's great that we got Brissett.  It gives us a legitimate option to go to if Howell struggles at any point during the season.  We needed to make this move, because you can't just hand over the starting role to a 5th Round pick, with 19 pass attempts to his name.  You need to get some competition in there to see if Howell wins the job outright, or go to your quality backup whose started NFL games.  He who shall not be named was a pretty bad backup all things considered.  The team won in spite of him, not because of him.  Let's not forget that this is a VERY important season coming up for Ron and this FO.  With a new owner coming here shortly, they need to get this team to the playoffs this year.  NO WAY are they going to go all in on a 5th Round QB, no matter what the team says publicly.  It makes no sense to roll into a pivotal season, with an unproven rookie QB as your lifeline.  You need some insurance, to increase your chances at making the postseason in case things don't work out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think I just posted less than a week ago about how nice it is that we're mostly all on the same page at QB and it's a nice change.

Now people are getting mad at our back up for being a good back up.

This place is so weird sometimes. Especially at QB.

I think we all wanted this

Howell as QB1

Quality BU- Brissett was first choice for a lot of us

Day 3 draft pick- Waiting on that.

We have not had a desend starting QB in so long and everybody has a opinion.  FA's have not worked, Street walkons have not worked, draft picks have not worked.  If Howell fails were stuck with another failure FA or former player failure, Draft failure. Do we want Briss for 3 more years as a spot starter like the previous. Until we find a starter the spot starter is going to take the heat, just the way it goes.  legit starter is the answer, chance to have new owner, before nobody cared.

22 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I got no idea who will be starting week 1 and that's a good thing. No reason to rush it, just let the situation develop.

There was no way on God's green earth we were gonna just hand Howell a starting job. No NFL team would. The very idea is madness.

Let them both work and as long as Howell keeps up, he's the guy. If they are even, Howell is ahead as he presents the clearer pathway to a long term solution.

If Howell struggles and Jacoby demonstrates that there is a noticeable gap between the two, then we roll w/ Jacoby, as everyone's jobs are pretty much on the line and you can't afford not to.

Problem is if Howell fails and we have 3 more years of Briss as spot starter, he has failed before. 5th team and most likely fail here too. Also he will be run out of town and hated just like Fuzzy whatever.  Qb's that played much better else where get crushed here, also he has had 1 good year tha's it, last year. The only year you could say he out played Fuzzy. You think it's going to change? It's going to be more of the same till we get a real QB. Briss is here it's all we have and hope he is not the next spot starter. If Washington had a real starting QB most would have been alright with Fuzzy as a backup. If Howell becomes that QB great and Briss BU great.

45 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Ron can give a rats ass about Howell... he is in full "save his a$$" job mode. Meaning he needs a legit QB that has a high chance of winning games if Howell looks like poo. 

He should probably go to the draft if he doesn't believe in Howell.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dunno. I'd say all of our QBs have had a pretty impressive descend.

Nah.  Haskins didn't descend, he plummeted.  Chute didn't open, reserve failed to deploy.  Pow.

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

Problem is if Howell fails and we have 3 more years of Briss as spot starter, he has failed before. 5th team and most likely fail here too. Also he will be run out of town and hated just like Fuzzy whatever.  

Fuzzy played guard for the Packers and was beloved.

• Haha 1

Let's face it guys:

Our QB situation is highly volatile with a semi-rook and a veteran who has struggled all his career basically.

RR must know something we don't bc the moves, at least on paper, make little sense for his overall chance of staying here beyond this year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

@wit33 reading this:

O-face GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Lol…

It’s happening!!! 

Not a right or wrong, but it should be an option to pursue the grateful QB at a fair cost. 

Geno Smith deal was fair. Derek Carr deal fell short of many peoples estimates (33.5 per year), but still too rich for my liking. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, El Mexican said:

Let's face it guys:

Our QB situation is highly volatile with a semi-rook and a veteran who has struggled all his career basically.

RR must know something we don't bc the moves, at least on paper, make little sense for his overall chance of staying here beyond this year.

We can't move up in the draft without dropping a ton of assets.

We can't trade for a top QB because they won't come here

We signed the best possibility of a starter to be a back up

We have a one year guy that looked good in limited time that we had rated in the 2nd round 

We'll probably still draft another QB day 2/3

You must know something you're not telling us

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

Turn out the lights the parties over. Move on.  Briss seems like a good teammate just had his best year and wants to improve more, late riser? We could use a few good problems. 

Now I'm not Jewish, but I have a lot of Jewish friends, and I would humbly suggest we pick a different nickname for Mr. Brissett...

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We can't move up in the draft without dropping a ton of assets.

We can't trade for a top QB because they won't come here

We signed the best possibility of a starter to be a back up

We have a one year guy that looked good in limited time that we had rated in the 2nd round 

We'll probably still draft another QB day 2/3

You must know something you're not telling us

I'm only calling it like I see it, bro.

Drafting another rookie in this year's draft does little to calm my nerves.

45 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Now I'm not Jewish, but I have a lot of Jewish friends, and I would humbly suggest we pick a different nickname for Mr. Brissett...

I am Jewish, and every time I see "Brisset", I keep thinking "Brisket".  And then I start thinking about potato pancakes, matzoh ball soup, kugel, borsht....  Now I'm hungry.

But, yeah, "briss" makes me wince.  There's a reason it happens when you're too young to remember it.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, El Mexican said:

I'm only calling it like I see it, bro.

Drafting another rookie in this year's draft does little to calm my nerves.

I think the main thrust of the debate, and what @Koolblue13 basically referenced, is...what exactly was your solution?

Did you have one? Or are you mostly just ****ing and moaning because He Who Must Not Be Named is gone?

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2