Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

54 minutes ago, KDawg said:

My take has been well established, I think, but drafting Daniels and trading back up for Patrick Paul would make my draft night feel… not as happy as I’d like.

JD I’m “okay” with. His upside is fantastic. Can live with it even if I don’t outright love it. The potential is there.

But trading back up for Paul rubs me the wrong way. 

Agree. I’m fine with the premise of a trade back up, however it would have to involve what are perceived as say top 15-20 type ranked players who are falling and available. Paul would feel like a real reach in that scenario.

• Like 2

Well it’s going to be fun later. I’ll rank my personal preference on QBs :

1 - Williams

2 - McCarthy

3 - Daniels

4 - Maye

Fully support whatever direction we go in. 

New era. New QB. Enjoy the ride IMO.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Well it’s going to be fun later. I’ll rank my personal preference on QBs :

1 - Williams

2 - McCarthy

3 - Daniels

4 - Maye

Fully support whatever direction we go in. 

New era. New QB. Enjoy the ride IMO.

I’m close.

I’m an oddball… kind of.

My preference considering JUST current ability:

1. Daniels

2. McCarthy

3. Maye

My preference weighing ALL things:

1. Maye/McCarthy

2. Daniels

I keep coming back to the thought, though, that we are out on Penix due to durability concerns. And, to be fair, he’s shown them. Repeatedly. But we (online community, not ES necessarily) don’t weigh Daniels potential health (not just his size, but how he takes hits…) the same.

Someone could say Daniels is more elusive… but… is he? Penix is fast as hell. 

The only reason I can think of that we are all throwing Penix to the wind is he has very recently shown he gets banged up… and has been banged up in the past, too.

But Penix is a guy that could be a real good QB… and it could happen quick. 

I think we’re going to find McCarthy/Penix we’re slept on a little and the top three were slightly overrated in the end. I’m not saying we’d re-rank them or anything to that extent.  But wouldn’t be surprised if that happened.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think we’re going to find McCarthy/Penix we’re slept on a little and the top three were slightly overrated in the end. I’m not saying we’d re-rank them or anything to that extent.  But wouldn’t be surprised if that happened.

I think that is driven by the focus on us picking #2 

Is there anyone out there that is still projecting us to take Maye? I just need one credible source to hang my hopes on for the next 13 hours.... (at which point they will be dashed on the rocks)

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

Is there anyone out there that is still projecting us to take Maye? I just need one credible source to hang my hopes on for the next 13 hours.... (at which point they will be dashed on the rocks)

No give up and assimilate 

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

I am very depressed about it as well. I think Grant Paulson summed it up the best when he was on the Sheehan show yesterday. Finally someone on the radio said Daniels in his opinion was likely to bust out of the 5 quarterbacks. “

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, fanman8825 said:

I am very depressed about it as well. I think Grant Paulson summed it up the best when he was on the Sheehan show yesterday. Finally someone on the radio said Daniels in his opinion was likely to bust out of the 5 quarterbacks. “

I wouldn't be depressed.

I agree that JD absolutely has the highest bust potential. I'd say Penix is there as well and both for the same reason: availability concerns. But from an expectation:bust ratio, JD is the leader in the clubhouse.

But I think he may also have the absolute highest ceiling of all the QBs, including Williams.

I'm not sure I'd take him, but I get it. IF he hits, we're in REAL good shape. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fanman8825 said:

I think at least 3, most likely 4 will be considered a bust out of the top 5 QBs.  There is rarely, if ever, a safe QB pick anyway.  I'm not gonna fault the team for swinging for the fences.  Hopefully it works out.

Just now, bearrock said:

I think at least 3, most likely 4 will be considered a bust out of the top 5 QBs.  There is rarely, if ever, a safe QB pick anyway.  I'm not gonna fault the team for swinging for the fences.  Hopefully it works out.

I know it’s crazy with QBs. I think this is one Qb class I will follow very closely because of all the footage I have watched on them the past several months.

• Thumb up 1

53 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

ESPN’s Mike Greenberg asserts that the reigning Heisman Trophy winner from LSU may not be on the Commanders’ radar when everything is said and done.

3 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Mike Greenberg asserts that the reigning Heisman Trophy winner from LSU may not be on the Commanders’ radar when everything is said and done.

He also says that he wouldn’t assume that we are staying at #2

• Thumb up 1

Just added this to my overnight list of vids on the draft.

An obviously weary Hoffman and Logan Paulson after months of discussion and video review reveal their final pre-draft rankings. 

Best QBs

1. Caleb

2. JJ McCarthy!!!

3. Jayden Daniels

4. Drake Maye

For the record, if AP and our decision making  hierarchy agrees with this, and if they don’t believe they can trade back without risking losing McCarthy— then I say, go for it, draft the kid, and deal with the inevitable public backlash head on.

I respect people who have the courage to back their convictions. Especially when it goes against so called,  popular opinion.

They just better get it right, or heaven have mercy on them, because I sure as hell won’t.

Here’s what Logan and Hoffman think...

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, fanman8825 said:

The bust factor, that's something I'm concerned about. I hope Peters will make the right choice, I don't want Trey Lance 2.0. In the mean time good luck to him because this is a huge reponsability and dilemna.

QB analysts are better than ever, but the draft is a different beast

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, FrFan said:

ESPN’s Mike Greenberg asserts that the reigning Heisman Trophy winner from LSU may not be on the Commanders’ radar when everything is said and done.

That’s a dangerous game ESPN bet is playing. Jayden is up to -1000 from -500 yesterday. Not sure where they’re getting their odds from. 

eta that post is from April 19th a lot has changed since then, but odds don’t mean anything apparently :lol:

Edited by BayouBrave86
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

That’s a dangerous game ESPN bet is playing. Jayden is up to -1000 from -500 yesterday. Not sure where they’re getting their odds from. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMXwZ4CU9Hgl8lV3b2YRV;)

• Haha 7

9 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

Anybody think GMAP definitely will take a 2nd QB late in the draft?

Per the Hogs Haven tracker, Commanders did meetings at the pro days for almost all the QBs in this class, and they met individually at some point with a total of at least 26 QBs during the pre-draft process.

Wondering if GMAP really thinks he might Purdy the draft again.

You thinking we are going to need one?

• Thanks 1

I’m not thrilled about it but I think JD is the only choice. Maye had great production in spite of the issues with his mechanics and whatnot, but it came against the ACC. I think he’d have been eaten alive against the Confederate Conference teams Daniels consistently beat.

McCarthy is too much of a question mark. I have to think that even with Harbaugh’s old school tendencies, if riding McCarthy was their best chance to win, he’d have done that. Both May and McCarthy feel like busts to me, Maye more than McCarthy and the rest IMO. Daniels may not work out due to RG Knee 2.0 syndrome, but other than that, his ceiling is really high. A stud QB available 13-17 games each season beats a bust or a game manager who’s available all 17 games 100% of the time.

Now that I’ve jinxed myself, Maye can go on to be the best QB in the draft.🙂 Either way, we’re going to have the first franchise QB candidate on the roster in a really long time, so it should be a fun ride, regardless. 

• Haha 1