Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I also think we could have made a run at Carr and given him $40M+ if we had decided he was our guy.

Carr's signing bonus was the same as Payne's.

It would have cost about the same out of pocket, so if we know they could have afforded to re-sign Payne, we also know they could have afforded to sign Carr... from a purely cash standpoint.

Carr was my most desired direction, but our current plan was not too far down my list either. Beats going with my option #26-ish like we did last year.

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, Rogers was taken #9 and Rodgers didn’t go until 24.  A lot of teams passed on him.  

Point was our scouting team undervalued Rodgers and then moved up to get Campbell or they could have easily taken Rodgers instead with their #9 pick and then worried about getting a CB later.  In 2005 it was not a QB heavy draft class and other positions were loaded in that draft. This is why he fell.

I know it was a long time ago but we were right there at #9 and passed on Rodgers. It just bothers me a bit when I think about that. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I agree that Lamar Jackson would happily come here if we gave him $250M guaranteed.

I also think we could have made a run at Carr and given him $40M+ if we had decided he was our guy.

If that's the case then I'll just be happy that we weren't the suckers who overpaid for him.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Point was our scouting team undervalued Rodgers and then moved up to get Campbell or they could have easily taken Rodgers instead with their #9 pick and then worried about getting a CB later.  In 2005 it was not a QB heavy draft class and other positions were loaded in that draft. This is why he fell.

I know it was a long time ago but we were right there at #9 and passed on Rodgers. It just bothers me a bit when I think about that. 

It wasn’t so much our scouts as Joe Gibbs who fell in love with Campbell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

Ok, so that pretty much proves us right...you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

This FO has to be the most aggressive group to ever hunt the QB position. We chased 40 QBs last year. We've chased the top QBs aggressively the year before, even offering better contracts and we're still turned down.

Dudes are still all our QBs suck and we didn't even try. The next Steve Young isn't our QB yet so everything is crap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mistertim said:

Ok, so that pretty much proves us right...you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Using reason and common sense is not complaining.

We can deduce a probable outcome based on the decisions we're seeing right now.

17 hours ago, MartinC said:

It wasn’t so much our scouts as Joe Gibbs who fell in love with Campbell.

We traded with Denver the day before the draft. They didn’t care how the board was going to play out when they gave up draft capital and basically announced to the world they were drafting Jason Campbell. Yet no one else even saw him as remotely worth his pick because they would have jumped us.

Snyder nickel and dimed Bobby Beathard who was going to come back for Gibbs 2 and we rolled with Cerrato and Gibbs instead. If we had a sane GM or if Gibbs was decent at college talent evaluation, we would have landed Aaron Rodgers and they basically would have renamed the Lombardi Trophy after Gibbs after he retired the second time. 

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Somewhat Washington QB related I was on a flight from Phoenix to Atlanta this morning - Colt McCoy was the on the same flight. I introduced myself as a Washington fan as we were getting off and thanked him for his time here. No one else seemed to recognize him.

He’s listed as 6’ 1” - that’s generous. He’s not a big guy.

• Like 12

On 3/22/2023 at 2:58 PM, MartinC said:

Somewhat Washington QB related I was on a flight from Phoenix to Atlanta this morning - Colt McCoy was the on the same flight. I introduced myself as a Washington fan as we were getting off and thanked him for his time here. No one else seemed to recognize him.

Backup QB is truly the best position in sports

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 11:58 AM, MartinC said:

Awesome run-in! How'd he react to your comment? Seems like you were classy about it. I hope he appreciated it.

13 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Awesome run-in! How'd he react to your comment? Seems like you were classy about it. I hope he appreciated it.

He seemed like a good guy. Just said he appreciated the thanks, quick handshake and then an ‘enjoy your day’ type deal. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 3/22/2023 at 2:58 PM, MartinC said:

I feel bad for McCoy.  That shoulder injury in his last collegiate game probably destroyed his NFL career. He wasn’t the strongest armed guy before but after the injury, he was more limited.  

And then it seems like every time he got a chance to play, he got hurt again.  

Jay loved him.  Ron and Scott liked TH for what he is, but Jay always thought McCoy could be a starter.  He might have been right, I don’t think so, but McCoy always got hurt almost immediately so we never found out. 

As far as I can tell, he’s still the favorite to start in Arizona until Murray is back.  

• Like 1

The amount of hate from the national media for Rivera riding with Howell and then for not chasing Lamar is really annoying to me.  You can't win with them?  No one is killing Atlanta for riding with Desmond Ridder.

As for Mina's comment that Howell isn't similar to Purdy comes off like a shot -- but the reality is its true but not for negative reasons but positive reasons -- Howell is a more talented QB than Purdy, its not the reverse.

People are so obsessed with the round a player was taken in is a bit nuts.  They took Haskins in the first, even though it came out that a bunch of teams (including this one) rated him as a third rounder. 

So Rivera was hammered for not letting the script play out with Haskins as a starter in the 2nd season and for "giving up on him."  Yet, here he's giving a hard time for actually giving Howell a chance?    Howell IMO is a better prospect than Haskins (RIP) ever was and by a good margin. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

@Skinsinparadise

Yep, I can't see how anybody could think wanting to roll with Howell is bizarre.  The argument for Howell based on Purdy is just a supporting reason for going this route. The main reasons are a full year seeing Howell (albeit mostly in practice) with his own eyes, getting feedback from guys whose main interest is the team or themselves not Sam and interacting with Howell, are Ron's main arguments. For EB, it was his first year as OC when Mahomes started blowing up, while Howell is obviously not Mahomes part deux, a decent performance by Howell destroys any arguments against EB as a potential HC (because you can argue that Mahomes was on Nagy or Reid now) and even a mediocre performance by Howell won't hurt EB's argument for opportunity.

As a fan or as the future owner, you should want Ron to succeed or fail his way.  If Ron succeeds his way, he is a good option going forward. If Ron fail his way, we need to change and have more open options for the new coach. If Ron succeeds in a way forced on him, the jury is still out. If Ron fails in a way forced on him, we leave limited options for any new coach and they have a hard limit, not a soft one like 2020.

4 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

@Skinsinparadise

Yep, I can't see how anybody could think wanting to roll with Howell is bizarre.  The argument for Howell based on Purdy is just a supporting reason for going this route. The main reasons are a full year seeing Howell (albeit mostly in practice) with his own eyes, getting feedback from guys whose main interest is the team or themselves not Sam and interacting with Howell, are Ron's main arguments. For EB, it was his first year as OC when Mahomes started blowing up, while Howell is obviously not Mahomes part deux, a decent performance by Howell destroys any arguments against EB as a potential HC (because you can argue that Mahomes was on Nagy or Reid now) and even a mediocre performance by Howell won't hurt EB's argument for opportunity.

As a fan or as the future owner, you should want Ron to succeed or fail his way.  If Ron succeeds his way, he is a good option going forward. If Ron fail his way, we need to change and have more open options for the new coach. If Ron succeeds in a way forced on him, the jury is still out. If Ron fails in a way forced on him, we leave limited options for any new coach and they have a hard limit, not a soft one like 2020.

Agree, let Rivera sink or swim his own way.   If there is new ownership should be interesting to see how it effects roster building going forward.

Standig today below

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 1.47.30 PM.png

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The amount of hate from the national media for Rivera riding with Howell and then for not chasing Lamar is really annoying to me.

I think it's Lamar trying to figure out how to get a team interested, and the Commanders are about the only one left.  Except maybe the Jets.

All of the other teams have either signed a guy, or traded to the top of the draft to draft a guy.  He's basically going to be left standing when the music stops.  And I think he's asking some of his friendly national media peeps for help.

There is always a reason for everything.  Currying favor with Lamar seems to be this one.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think it's Lamar trying to figure out how to get a team interested, and the Commanders are about the only one left.  Except maybe the Jets.

All of the other teams have either signed a guy, or traded to the top of the draft to draft a guy.  He's basically going to be left standing when the music stops.  And I think he's asking some of his friendly national media peeps for help.

There is always a reason for everything.  Currying favor with Lamar seems to be this one.  

They took some grief for going with Howell even before the Lamar stuff -- but the Lamar stuff has ratched it up.

The Falcons have more cap room then we do, they were the rumored Lamar team early in the process.  They said they are out and are riding with Ridder.  I don't see them killed the same way.

Looks like the Colts might be in for Lamar. 

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The amount of hate from the national media for Rivera riding with Howell and then for not chasing Lamar is really annoying to me.  You can't win with them?  No one is killing Atlanta for riding with Desmond Ridder.

As for Mina's comment that Howell isn't similar to Purdy comes off like a shot -- but the reality is its true but not for negative reasons but positive reasons -- Howell is a more talented QB than Purdy, its not the reverse.

People are so obsessed with the round a player was taken in is a bit nuts.  They took Haskins in the first, even though it came out that a bunch of teams (including this one) rated him as a third rounder. 

So Rivera was hammered for not letting the script play out with Haskins as a starter in the 2nd season and for "giving up on him."  Yet, here he's giving a hard time for actually giving Howell a chance?    Howell IMO is a better prospect than Haskins (RIP) ever was and by a good margin. 

National media are mostly idiots. They're pawns who get played by people who actually matter and that's all they're good for.

Mina Kimes I find especially irritating. Every chance she gets she'll climb onto her soapbox and wax poetic about the league and XYZ moral issue but the reality is she's just as complicit as everybody else. She owes her entire career to the Shield and will never do anything to actually threaten it.

Anyway, Lamar isn't getting the deal he wants so the media is doing a full court press and happen to have set their sights on us. None of them will bring up the injury concerns or challenge whether the compensation is smart value because it will undermine their agenda. They should be viewed simply as mouthpieces for players, FO, coaches, etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’ll be honest, I think Rivera talks some nonsense when he gets on about his QBs.

He talks non sense in general. He's just not a good communicator. He reveals too much while at the same time saying nothing of substance if that makes any sense.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He talks non sense in general. He's just not a good communicator. He reveals too much while at the same time saying nothing of substance if that makes any sense.

This.  Ron has always been clueless when dealing with the QB position.  With the National Media, it's not them crapping on Howell, it's them realizing that Rivera is a putz when it comes to making decisions about the QB.  Let's not forget how he got skewered for the Wentz trade last year, when everyone in national & local circles saw that it was a terrible move.  Then, Ron decides for some reason to go back to Wentz, in a game that determined our season vs. the Browns.  Now, he wants to go all in on a 5th Round QB with 1 start to his name and 19 pass attempts, in a season that could determine his fate, and most likely seal it.  Ron & Co. have very little credibility left when dealing with the QB position, so naturally the media is going to be skeptical (rightfully so) of any moves this team makes at QB going forward.  The National Media will roast this team next year, if we get off to a 2-5 or 1-6 start, and Howell is benched, with Brissett seeing starting time, or if Howell doesn't even make it to starter, and we have to play Brissett for a full season.  If Lamar Jackson gets traded to the Patriots for example, and kills it there, and New England wins 11-12 games and gets to the playoffs, then this team (and any other team that passes on Jackson) will be a laughing stock.  It will once again show that this team is clueless regarding the most important position in sports. 

Edited by samy316

11 minutes ago, samy316 said:

This.  Ron has always been clueless when dealing with the QB position.  With the National Media, it's not them crapping on Howell, it's them realizing that Rivera is a putz when it comes to making decisions about the QB.  Let's not forget how he got skewered for the Wentz trade last year, when everyone in national & local circles saw that it was a terrible move.  Then, Ron decides for some reason to go back to Wentz, in a game that determined our season vs. the Browns.  Now, he wants to go all in on a 5th Round QB with 1 start to his name and 19 pass attempts, in a season that could determine his fate, and most likely seal it.  Ron & Co. have very little credibility left when dealing with the QB position, so naturally the media is going to be skeptical (rightfully so) of any moves this team makes at QB going forward.  The National Media will roast this team next year, if we get off to a 2-5 or 1-6 start, and Howell is benched, with Brissett seeing starting time, or if Howell doesn't even make it to starter, and we have to play Brissett for a full season.  If Lamar Jackson gets traded to the Patriots for example, and kills it there, and New England wins 11-12 games and gets to the playoffs, then this team (and any other team that passes on Jackson) will be a laughing stock.  It will once again show that this team is clueless regarding the most important position in sports. 

I think Jackson's biggest issue is his injury history.   He is injury prone and it's an expensive gamble on that....one we cannot afford to make.