Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Not sure about Love but that's PFF's solution

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-realistic-trade-value-landing-spots-quarterbacks-lamar-jackson-aaron-rodgers-derek-carr

GREEN BAY PACKERS QB JORDAN LOVE  WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

• Terms: Commanders send 2023 2nd, 2023 5th
  • Packers dead cap: $1.64 million
  • Contract acquired: One year, $2.3 million + fifth-year option 2024 (~$20 million)

We’re not suggesting both of these trades will happen; it’s an either/or decision for Green Bay. It has already been rumored that Love may request a trade if Rodgers returns for 2023, and it makes sense in a pivotal offseason where Love has a fully guaranteed fifth-year option for 2024 valued around $20 million that must be exercised or declined — whether that’s by the Packers or another club.  

The toughest thing to gauge from a trade compensation standpoint is whether a lack of playing time is actually a benefit to Love’s value, as he hasn’t definitively proven one way or another exactly what caliber of quarterback he may become. It was probably to be expected that Love would take a year or two of learning the NFL game out of Utah State before he reached his full potential, and in the very limited film we have from 2022, he played well in relief against the Philadelphia Eagles

Love was 6-of-9 for 113 yards (12.6 yards per attempt) with one touchdown, one big-time throw, and no turnover-worthy plays. Despite the very small sample size, he looked like a player who has made strides behind the scenes with the game starting to slow down. 

The Packers traded up from No. 30 overall in the 2020 NFL Draft to No. 26 overall to select Love, also giving up a fourth-round pick in the process. Here, three years later, they recoup a little less than that value.

Washington has once again played its way out of a top pick but still has nothing but question marks at the most important position in all of sports. The Commanders may be hesitant to once again trade Day 2 draft capital for a quarterback after the Carson Wentz move flopped, but Love is in a very different situation. They can’t take this roster into the 2023 season with Taylor Heinicke the planned starter under center, with his 48.6 passing grade through Week 15 ranking 48th out of 50 quarterbacks with at least 25 passing attempts on the year. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 2

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure about Love but that's PFF's solution

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-realistic-trade-value-landing-spots-quarterbacks-lamar-jackson-aaron-rodgers-derek-carr

GREEN BAY PACKERS QB JORDAN LOVE  WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

• Terms: Commanders send 2023 2nd, 2023 5th
  • Packers dead cap: $1.64 million
  • Contract acquired: One year, $2.3 million + fifth-year option 2024 (~$20 million)

We’re not suggesting both of these trades will happen; it’s an either/or decision for Green Bay. It has already been rumored that Love may request a trade if Rodgers returns for 2023, and it makes sense in a pivotal offseason where Love has a fully guaranteed fifth-year option for 2024 valued around $20 million that must be exercised or declined — whether that’s by the Packers or another club.  

The toughest thing to gauge from a trade compensation standpoint is whether a lack of playing time is actually a benefit to Love’s value, as he hasn’t definitively proven one way or another exactly what caliber of quarterback he may become. It was probably to be expected that Love would take a year or two of learning the NFL game out of Utah State before he reached his full potential, and in the very limited film we have from 2022, he played well in relief against the Philadelphia Eagles

Love was 6-of-9 for 113 yards (12.6 yards per attempt) with one touchdown, one big-time throw, and no turnover-worthy plays. Despite the very small sample size, he looked like a player who has made strides behind the scenes with the game starting to slow down. 

The Packers traded up from No. 30 overall in the 2020 NFL Draft to No. 26 overall to select Love, also giving up a fourth-round pick in the process. Here, three years later, they recoup a little less than that value.

Washington has once again played its way out of a top pick but still has nothing but question marks at the most important position in all of sports. The Commanders may be hesitant to once again trade Day 2 draft capital for a quarterback after the Carson Wentz move flopped, but Love is in a very different situation. They can’t take this roster into the 2023 season with Taylor Heinicke the planned starter under center, with his 48.6 passing grade through Week 15 ranking 48th out of 50 quarterbacks with at least 25 passing attempts on the year. 

I'd rather give Howell a chance and keep the picks.  

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

If they like him and think he could get the job done, Love could be a piece of the QB puzzle next season, but not the whole thing. His lack of playtime means you gotta have another suitable option on the roster besides him. You can't roll out a QB position group with similar XP as our TE group this year. That would be crazy.

Personally, dude has been on the sidelines so long I don't know what to think of Love. Maybe he gets in a game or two at the end of the year and we all get a better scope of where he is at.

18 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Geno is a pro bowler.  

Yep. He is the guy I make a run for if Seattle isn’t gung ho on keeping him. If Seattle wants, they will end up with a top 5 pick this year due to having Denver’s pick and could take Levis or Stroud

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

What kinda corner?

You expecting a major drop-off before 32?

St-Juste I trust to be a fine #1, draft one, don't remake the mistake of signing Jackson for a lot of money and stunting development of people we draft.  Corners are expensive, especially good ones.

Unless I am mistaken, next year is the last year of Kendall’s deal. It would be a mistake not to take a toolsy corner between rds 2-4 and have him sit behind Fuller for a year

Just noticed Brugler recently used the Heinicke comp that i've been using for two years for Heinicke.   I know for most (me too) Heinicke = red flag.  But skill set wise IMO he's better than Taylor but he plays in that Taylor early 2021 style (versus the more conservative 2022 style) moxie on steroids -- lets it all hang out.

I'll try not to be obnoxious about it this draft season, but that's the dude in the 4th round range I want.  Pounding the table now 2 years in a row for it  -- thought he'd come out last year. 

If they double up with a rookie QB and Howell, I can live with it.  I want two shots with young QBs, 2012 style, if we don't sign a veteran. 

Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 2.12.21 PM.png

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I'd rather give Howell a chance and keep the picks.  

IF.....the coaches believe Howell can be the future, I would keep an eye on how Gardner Minshew performs tomorrow in Dallas. He is auditioning for the rest of the league in Dallas as the starting QB for the Eagles. Minshew could be brought in to compete with Howell in a true competition where we wouldn't have to pay much. This is totally contingent on Howell's standing with the coaches/GM. Minshew is a mid-tier QB who knows the league and has some moxie himself. I would think he can help a team next year, especially after seeing the mess the Jets ran out there last night.....Again, this is based on the coaches liking Howell and not drafting a QB.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, method man said:

Unless I am mistaken, next year is the last year of Kendall’s deal. It would be a mistake not to take a toolsy corner between rds 2-4 and have him sit behind Fuller for a year

That sounds reasonable, though not the same thing as the proposed "we need a true #1 corner", because I don't believe we can afford one in context of our other needs and folks I'd rather give contracts (like our starting safeties)

He's 27 right now, next year is his last full year on the contract, and will be be 29 when he'd UFA:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-commanders/kendall-fuller-19038/

I'm not sure why we can't offer him a two year extension and buy use more time in light of other priorities, 31 is not fall off a cliff territory for cornerback.

If we need that 2nd round pick to trade up for a QB first, so be it.

Edited by Renegade7

The

3 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Sign the UFA Dallas ginger QB

Feels like doubling up on Taylor with Rush though, probably slight upgrade

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-cowboys-cooper-rush-dak-prescott-sign-backup-jerry-jones-contract-free-agency

Rush has proven what a fine "game manager'' he is. But digging deeper, and you don't have to dig very far, it's evident that this offense is no longer elite. As a matter of fact, this offense is not even good.

But, thanks to a dominating defense that allows just 14.4 points per game, the 17.4 points per game scored by the offense is just enough for wins.

If you exclude the three points scored in Week 1, Dallas is averaging 21 points per game with Rush as the starter. That's still nothing to brag about.

But it's enough for a 4-1 record. And therefore there should be "enough'' money to try to keep him, preemptively.

Sunday against the Rams, Rush attempted just 16 passes, completing only 10 for 102 yards. That's hardly a stat line you see from a winning quarterback in the NFL. 

But the Cowboys did win, helped by outstanding defensive play and a special teams touchdown.

Rush has thrown just 118 passes in the four-plus games he's appeared in this season

• Thumb up 1

O line's ranked in the division by PFF, ours climbed up in recent weeks I recall it was in the mid to late 20s early on.

19. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS (UP 2)

Projected Week 16 Starters:

LT Charles Leno Jr.
LG Andrew Norwell

C Wes Schweitzer
RG Trai Turner
RT Cornelius Lucas

• Every member of the line surrendered pressure against the Giants in Week 15, but none gave up more than two.
  • This line is up 10 places over the past five weeks.

Upcoming Opponent: San Francisco 49ers

• Nick Bosa is a true Defensive Player of the Year candidate and has lined up on both sides of the line. He has exclusively targeted specific weak links in certain games this season, but both Washington tackles will likely see him extensively.

31. NEW YORK GIANTS (NO CHANGE)

LT Andrew Thomas
LG Nick Gates
C Jon Feliciano
RG Mark Glowinski
RT Evan Neal

• Rookie Evan Neal allowed five pressures against Washington and garnered two penalties. The game is still overwhelming him at this point, but he does flash potential.
  • On the other side, Andrew Thomas was again impressive, allowing just one pressure. He has surrendered 17 total on the season.

Upcoming Opponent: Minnesota Vikings

• Za’Darius Smith still leads the league in pressures (72), and though he is nominally an edge rusher, fully half of his pressures come from an interior alignment. Nick Gates should have Smith's tape on repeat this week in preparation.

1. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (NO CHANGE FROM WEEK 15)

LT Jordan Mailata
LG Landon Dickerson
C Jason Kelce
RG Isaac Seumalo
RT Lane Johnson

• There are no weak links on this line. The unit allowed five total pressures against Chicago in Week 15 but did perform curiously below its typical run-blocking level.
  • Lane Johnson has not allowed a sack since November 2020.

Upcoming Opponent: Dallas Cowboys

• Dallas has the league’s best pass rush. They lead the NFL in pressure rate (40.7%), and Micah Parsons has 71 pressures on the edge.

13. DALLAS COWBOYS (UP 2)

LT Tyler Smith
LG Connor McGovern
C Tyler Biadasz
RG Zack Martin
RT Tyron Smith

• Tyron Smith allowed three pressures in his first game back from injury and his first game at right tackle since 2011.
  • Jason Peters also rotated in at right tackle and allowed a sack on 11 pass-blocking snaps.

Upcoming Opponent: Philadelphia Eagles

• Seven different Eagles have double-digit pressures this season. Their front four each has a PFF pass-rushing grade of 80.2 or better.