Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I've been around awhile. I'm ****ing smart. I know pro football and I know humans.

I've scene this kind of manufactured drama before in recent years. 

Jayden is the current media created shiny object getting all the blast late in the race.

Yawn. I doubt he's even going to have much of a career, period.

I've been pretty even handed in appraisal but I've had a change of direction lately.

Maye has real work to be done, but there's a decent chance. Jaden, not much chance at all.

McCarthy and the rest are all yawns if your standard is fairly regular deep runs into the playoffs over a ten year span and performance levels at the position ala Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Lamar, Herbert, and two or three others.

And even most of those are not all that likely to win the big one.

Actually, this whole echelon of college QBs has been highly inflated.

This is the new normal.

It will be reality show scripting level of artificial drama and reach for the stars spins with "surprising twists and turns" from the media, especially "social" media, every year. 

Fight me! 😁👹🤡💩

kurt-angle.jpg.7cc35a02e9a4fe1ee19776534e670736.jpgbullshit.thumb.jpg.43e77970ceb53fabaa5475246172d53e.jpg1425898573_timebomb.jpg.ad8e3b73699c2cf01f78e3a6041ca145.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Can we all agree that a common trait that many, If not all of the top quarterbacks in the league have is the ability to escape pressure and make throws off schedule? The guy in KC that everybody thinks is good, that’s the thing he does better than anyone and that’s the big attraction with Caleb Williams, right?

And can we agree that all of the guys who can do this, demonstrated the ability to do it in college?

And then can we agree that Jayden Daniels has not demonstrated the ability to do this in college?

If I recall correctly, he had the worst completion rate by far of any of the guys thrown off platform. I think Penix really excelled there, but I may be mixing that with another metric. 

For those concerned that Washington is ignoring metrics/analytics, I'd say let's wait and see. I still think it's significant and relevant here that the first hire Harris made was analytics guru Eugene Shen, as the executive vice president of football operations - with responsibility for all analytics for football operations.

While I think Peters will make the final call on this draft pick, I also think he/Quinn will have to explain the decision to Harris - and based on that initial hire, and Harris's reputation as an analytics-driven owner, I'd expect all these metrics/analytics we've seen on Daniels/Maye to be a big part of that explanation. 

Will Harris obect to all the serious-red-flag issues with Daniels? No idea, and not sure how 'unreasonable' the decision would have to be for Harris, also known to not be a meddling owner, to 'veto' a Peters proposal. 

But everything this new front office has done so far has seemed to be well-reasoned, so I wouldn't expect that to change for Peters' first draft. The totality of these circumstances suggests to me that Maye will be the pick. 

Please note again: I have a perfect track record in that I have gotten every hire/pick prediction I've ever made for Washington... wrong.

• Haha 4

Both Maye and Daniels have things to work on as to throwing off platform.

Wth Maye as I mentioned before when he gets hit for his accuracy its his throws in the flat and also off platform.  He's an odd duck off platform.  He makes some wicked Caleb type throws and then also has some really errant throws where some hit him for his decision making on that front.  i don't think decision making is his issue, I just think he needs to reposition his feet-body more consistently to get better rotational accuracy.

Agree that Daniels is the bigger problem off platform in that he doesn't like to throw off platfom.  I am watching right now Drake Maye-Daniels throws back to back.  All of them.  It's exhausting but I'll get through it today or at least am determined to do it.  He has some wicked off platform throws.  But he needs to go to that well a lot more than he does now.  His accuracy numbers off platform is better than Mayes -- but he resorts way too much to running especially when flushed out of the pocket to the right.

Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 1.29.42 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rewatching Maye and Daniels from this context, all throws nonstop, versus game by game, I am actually a bit higher on both than I was before doing this.  But am only 25 minutes into both.

But for Maye specifically, I'll double down that his running is super underrated.

Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 1.37.25 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

And then can we agree that Jayden Daniels has not demonstrated the ability to do this in college?

Depends how you define "not demonstrated."

Because he's done it, he just doesn't do it often.

If I'm remembering the stats correctly, I think Jayden was forced off the spot roughly 90 times this season and threw on 20% of those, meaning he threw 18 times from off his spot.  So about 1.5 times per game.

Compared to guys like Caleb who I think was 60+% on about 120 times, or Maye who was 48% on about 125ish or so, and you can see these guys are doing it 5, 6, or 7 times a game.

Even comparative statue Mike Penix threw on the run a few times, and even looked okay doing it.  But he did it so rarely it's hard to know if it's actually a consistent club in his bag.

And that's the issue for Jayden.  He does it sometimes, but not often, so we don't know if it's actually a skill he has.  Certainly I'd agree he hasn't "consistently" demonstrated it, or demonstrated it "at volume."

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

If I recall correctly, he had the worst completion rate by far of any of the guys thrown off platform.

And up until this year, he would also take a ton of sacks under pressure. The only reason that he didn’t this year is because he was coached to run whenever he got moved off his spot, and the reason he was coached that way is because he is so bad at passing under pressure. When he tries to play the right way… The way he will have to play in the NFL, he has the talent of a late round pick. When his coaches tell him to take a shortcut because he has elite speed and is two or three years older than most of the kids on the other side of the ball who also aren’t all professional football players, he looks great. 

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Both Maye and Daniels have things to work on as to throwing off platform.

Wth Maye as I mentioned before when he gets hit for his accuracy its his throws in the flat and also off platform.  He's an odd duck off platform.  He makes some wicked Caleb type throws and then also has some really errant throws where some hit him for his decision making on that front.  i don't think decision making is his issue, I just think he needs to reposition his feet-body more consistently to get better rotational accuracy.

Agree that Daniels is the bigger problem off platform in that he doesn't like to throw off platfom.  I am watching right now Drake Maye-Daniels throws back to back.  All of them.  It's exhausting but I'll get through it today or at least am determined to do it.  He has some wicked off platform throws.  But he needs to go to that well a lot more than he does now.  His accuracy numbers off platform is better than Mayes -- but he resorts way too much to running especially when flushed out of the pocket to the right.

Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 1.29.42 PM.png

+10, thanks for adding that nugget. 

Bunch of degenerate 20-year-olds, thinking they can beat the market with DraftKings and social media. Bookies pay some dip**** on chatsnap to hashtag “Go buy your Daniels jerseys” and watch the rubes throw away their cash. Those odds will go back down just as soon as one of my posts goes viral.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But for Maye specifically, I'll double down that his running is super underrated.

What are you quoting from?  The hesitancy of that Josh Allen comp is exasperating to me.  Duh.  The comparisons to Josh Allen are impossible to miss.  The play where he completed the pass to JJ Jones as he was being taken to the ground in the Duke game, Tim Hasselbeck straight up says that is a Josh Allen play.  And it was the third time he did that in the game.  Then he ****ing literally pulled the Josh Allen signature move and jumped over Jaylen Stinson.  If people watch that Duke game and can't see Josh Allen all over his play, the they're hopeless at evaluating college QBs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Peyton Manning. That was a big part of what made him deadly.

Thought Peyton ran a more timing based offense. New the defense, new the timing, got it where it was supposed to go. 

Edited by Llevron

24 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

What are you quoting from?  The hesitancy of that Josh Allen comp is exasperating to me.  Duh.  The comparisons to Josh Allen are impossible to miss.  The play where he completed the pass to JJ Jones as he was being taken to the ground in the Duke game, Tim Hasselbeck straight up says that is a Josh Allen play.  And it was the third time he did that in the game.  Then he ****ing literally pulled the Josh Allen signature move and jumped over Jaylen Stinson.  If people watch that Duke game and can't see Josh Allen all over his play, the they're hopeless at evaluating college QBs.

Personally I still see more Herbert in his play right now. But the body with some normal continued weight room work will easily tune into a Josh type and his play could easily reach that level if not higher. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, I seen that too. 

You should spend 24-7 keeping your attention solely focused on your myriad shortcomings.

At least you picked a decent user name 

😛

812091842_sickburn.jpg.51e0134dda382b78afff226a9851a810.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, I seen that too. 

I thought he was making a Pittman post.

23 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

To be fair, Daniels probably would’ve caught him because Sam would’ve been on the bench watching Drake.

Daniels would been on the bench too if Maye was at LSU.

• Haha 3

Is EPA a stat (or set of stats) people care about?  Not trying to be snarky, just the “all the analytics favor Maye” obviously doesn’t factor EPA.

Edited by skinny21