Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

23 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Williams and Maye's flaws are mental. And can be fixed. You cannot fix a frail body. I cannot wait to see what Daniels weighs at the combine. And if he is over 200 pounds he wont run guaranteed. 

Edit: There are also reports he has small hands. I am not going to be a hypocrite and bash him for it after not caring about it for Pickett. But to some that will be an issue as well. I dont think that means a thing though. 

I haven't read reports he has small hands? Link? I read his hands were about 9 and a half which isn't huge but Pickett's hands were 8 and a half

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

If we trade down there is no guarantee we have a shot at him.  You're suggesting we pass up a guaranteed shot at one of the Big 3 to risk taking a lesser prospect.

I am a Maye guy. But I do like Daniels. If GMAP were to trade down at all, I think it could only be with NE at #3. That way we'd definitely get a top 3 QB along with some compensation. Maybe #4, but then GMAP would have to consider JJ to be the dude.

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I haven't read reports he has small hands? Link? I read his hands were about 9 and a half which isn't huge but Pickett's hands were 8 and a half

Yeah. I am seeing 9 to 9 1/4. Or 25-33 percentile. Bleacher report has been harping about it. And again. I dont think it really matters at all. 

1 hour ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

Wow, really thought peters would want to put his stamp on the franchise and get aggressive with a big splash, especially after johnson spurned them at the last minute. Still, schefter could be wrong

We’re in unfamiliar territory right now with a competent front office who doesnt appear to be too leaky with things, so anything can happen. 

AP wants to make a splash on the field of play, not the offseason. 

Shefter doesnt have brucey leaking him stuff anymore, he hasnt been able to break commanders news first in awhile, anything he says at this point is opinion that he probably got from Keim 😂

10 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

You're really going out on a limb.

Yes not losing any sleep if they do not take who I want. I am on board till it does not work out. I was one of the few who did not want Robert but I was on board as soon as they picked him, Daniels would be my least pick but if they pick him it's okay, I would not mind a trade down, but no trade up. Is that hard to believe? Taking a top 3 QB is not the 100% thing for me.

Edited by skinsfan66

30 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

For the QB gurus here, how fixable are the top prospects' flaws?  (Obviously height isn't fixable.)

I think the majority of their major flaws are fixable.

Williams.

-You can fix his willingness to break his mechanics. For most QBs, that has disastrous repercussions, for him, not so much. I still think an NFL coach will still want to reel it back some tho.

-Teach him to tuck the ball. He "Shady McCoy's" hard. Too many fumbles too keep doing that. Very fixable.

Maye

-Same mechanics breaking tendency as Williams, but it hurts him far more. Fixable. Every QB will work on mechanics every offseason

-Improving mechanical consistency will likely help fix his accuracy issues.

-Better decision making can be taught.

Daniels

-Teach him to protect himself. Fixable

-Teaching him to protect himself likely helps fix another problem as it will lead to more throws rather than carriers when on the run when outside of the pocket.

-Get him more comfortable with sliding. Its gotta be natural

As for the unfixable stuff.

-6'1 is 6'1

-You either have an X factor or you dont

-He will never be a thicc boi

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Williams and Maye's flaws are mental. And can be fixed. You cannot fix a frail body. I cannot wait to see what Daniels weighs at the combine. And if he is over 200 pounds he wont run guaranteed. 

Looks like Daniels will weigh 210-215 and run 4.4.  I was a little surprised to see he was measured right at 21mph on an 85-yard TD run vs Florida this season. Thought he might be little slower with the weight program LSU has had him on last couple years. 

Pretty impressive that Daniels has steadily improved like he has last few years, while acclimating to significant physical changes - he's come a long way since being a literal 155-pound weaking as a freshman at ASU. Grew a couple inches, put on 55-60 pounds, in four years. And got faster - ran a 4.5 40 as a freshman.

Edit: Not related to QB talk, but I thought it was pretty funny that in the video clocking Daniels on that TD run, it also showed LSU WR Brian Thomas hitting over 22 mph to get downfield for the last block lol.

Also: LSU clocked Daniels at 23 mph in practices this year. Yikes.

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

When I first looked at JDs stats I figured he either had oven mitts for hands or finger-strength of the gods.

A dude who carries the ball as much as him, and takes hits like he does should not fumble at the low rate he does, but it has been consistent across all his college career.

shopping.webp.1c636022fd8b1fbf0a08fbd108a2af9d.webp

His tuck transition and form is supurb tho.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We will see. The scales at the combine wont lie. 

I'm assuming Daniels will put on weight before the combine because he and his agent will know quite well that being 200 or under could severely hurt him. I pretty much never accept as gospel the heights and weights that colleges have for their players, especially at QB. So I'm dubious about him actually being 210 on game days this past season.

Though he'll also have to balance gaining that weight with it potentially slowing him down when it comes to his 40 time, as he'll know that will be important too.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 1:33 PM, Conn said:

None of that is very crazy. All very predictable possibilities lol

The Steelers are looking at Ryan Tannehill, that is crazy. Tannehill is done. Its not terribly surprising, but some of the solutions teams think they're making are just crazy. Why spend all that draft capital on Pitts, Bijan and London, and then give them one of the 5 worst QB's in the league every --- damned season? It's so ridiculous it beggars belief. 

Edited by The Consigliere

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

The Steelers are looking at Ryan Tannehill, that is crazy. Tannehill is done. Its not terribly surprising, but some of the solutions teams think they're making are just crazy. 

In a world where some people still consider Sam Darnold to be a legitimate starting QB in the NFL, the idea of Tannehill being one is actually quite tame.

• Like 2

Just now, The Consigliere said:

The Steelers are looking at Ryan Tannehill, that is crazy. Tannehill is done. Its not terribly surprising, but some of the solutions teams think they're making are just crazy. 

It’s not surprising to see that report bc they hired Arthur Smith. Whether it happens or not is another thing, but it’s one of those unsurprising offseason pre-FA stories imo 

Steelers are more heavily being connected to Fields today. Who knows

20 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

He sucks.

Probably, but he's gotten injured every time he's gotten in position to start. For SF he showed off the athleticism and a strong arm, but wasn't as accurate as they wanted early and he couldn't stay healthy much like Garoppolo. 

5 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

So I had no idea who the hell Cam Marino is, which was funny because I am a player profiler guy. In his first piece for them in '22, he mocks Corrall at #5 and Pickett at #6, and Willis at #11. He also has Burks as his #1 WR off the board in a class that featured Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave and Carson Strong at #20. On the positive side for him: The mock was made in January of '22, so it was precombine, where Burks had a meh performance and medicals insured Strong would barely be drafted, Burks was generally #1 before the combine where he tested pretty crappy.

Personally, I just don't get the twitter posting, I can't tell who has a legit cv, and whose an idiot, I have to actually look it up. I don't mind Willis so high at that time, nor Corral, but having Pickett at 6, and 4 QB's going in the top 20 was and is insanity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I also haven’t seen the small hand critique for Daniels.  I don’t think that will be an issue for him.  But I am very interested to see the height and weight.  He doesn’t look like he is 6’4 to me.  There was also a video of him I saw recently where he was on GMF standing next to Nate Burleson and they looked like they were the same height.  Burleson measured 6’1 when he was at the combine.   

Maye on the other hand looks ever bit of 6’4.  We have all seen the picture of him towering over Howell at the bball game and this past weekend standing next to Will Levis (who measured at 6’4 at the combine).  

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

What if J.J. becomes the next Purdy and you have the extra picks?  

Your point is what if he lands a good QB and passes over a QB who ends up great?  Depends in that case.  If Peters loaded up the team with a ton of All Pro players where you can compete with a good QB versus a great one -- I can ride with that but that's a tall task.  But if its just a good QB with an OK roster -- then yeah I'd can Peters.

Teams who need a QB and don't have one in house that they believe in, don't typically take a pass on a QB when they are picking high.  So if Peters wants to be different, IMO he has to nail it.  

If he wants to be funky and unusual than the unusual move has to be vindicated IMO -- otherwise its a fatal mistake. 

Also if Peters misses on 1 of the top 3 and takes the wrong one (Stroud) like last year, he should be fired too. 

I don't think so.  No QB prospect is perfect.  Judging by scout leaks etc -- all three of these QBs are hailed.  If he picks the wrong QB out of the 2, so be it.   As many QB coach gurus have said its impossible to know for sure if a QB is great until you have them on your team and in the building. So i am not going to fault Peters for taking a strong educated guess and guessing wrong.  Plenty of others have guessed wrong, too.  It happens.

Another blown top pick cannot be had, QB or whatever. The only top picks I can remember us hitting on were 2 LT's. LT is not the pick for me for the record just saying. Whatever they do I will back if it Works.

The two LTs meant nothing as for this team making any climb.  No guts not glory.  Teams with franchise QBs tend to be perennial playoff teams for a long time.  We got our shot at an elite QB, take the shot if you miss you miss.  If they took Joe Alt, and he becomes the next Chris Samuels, it won't move the needle one whit as to being a perennial contender.  You are nothing without the QB.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Here's something we may be underrating in Peters' and Quinn's thinking around the QB, and I believe it favors Maye over Daniels: the long-term outlook.

In Quinn's presser, when he talked about seeking a partnership with the GM that would be the best in sports, he talked about setting the groundwork for a 20 year partnership. That stuck out to me because usually when coaches talk about the long term, they throw out 10 years, but Quinn went further and said 20. Not only that, when he talked about his own future, he said he was projecting that he had about 20 years left before he retires (citing Pete Carroll types as examples).

It left me the impression that - whether aspirational or delusional - the staff is really setting a goal of a 20 year run, a la Bill B and Tom or to a lesser degree Mike Tomlin and Big Ben.

How does that affect the QB eval? Does it even make a difference - I mean, we know they're looking for a long-term franchise guy, right?

Yes. However, it made me think of a specific period of a QBs career they might be thinking about more than we'd guess... years 10-20.

They might seriously be evaluating which prospect would fare better in the "Back 9" years of their career vs. the "Front 9" years. Because after all, ideally we're never organically picking at 2 overall again. Like Mike Tomlin told Chase Young at that game a few years ago when Chase was mic'd up... "I never wanna be bad enough to get a guy like you". 

This is potentially - hopefully - our one shot at picking a guy this high for *decades*. And in that respect, you're trying to find a player who can be that guy for you for 20 years. Brady, Peyton, Big Ben, Brees, Eli, Matt Ryan... they all played 15-20 years and were mostly effective until the very end.

So how does that impact prospect evals? Well I'd argue it decreases the value of running QBs, who will have long lost their burst by the time they approach year #15. And it increases the value of size as it relates to estimated durability. I'm betting on the 6' 4" 230 lb guy to last 20 years in the League vs. the smaller guy. I'm betting on the guy with functional mobility but who can play in structure vs. the guy who relies more on scrambling or out-of-structure ability (though that's a great trait).

And of course, you'd rather have the guy who's a 21 year old rookie than the guy who's a 23 year old rookie all else being equal.

Anyway, I'm not saying they will definitively rank Maye ahead of Daniels. I have no idea. But I do think they're envisioning a 20 year horizon and will try to seriously project effectiveness when these guys are 35-40 years old, not just in the first 5-10 years of their careers. I think that's a lens that favors Drake.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

They're both talented. They both have flaws that need coaching up. At the very least, we should all be thrilled that we'll actually have a shot at an elite true blue chip QB without having to mortgage the future. It feels great to be rewarded after such a garbage season and end of garbage regime.

More, after thirty years of this ----. If it was just Ron, I wouldn't give a blank. Its 1993-2023. In that thirty year stretch they've done the right thing in 1993, and 2012, and that's it. Not surprisingly, it's been endless misery and none of our playoff runs were ever repeatable because not surprisingly, we never had a franchise QB. Not 1999, Not 2005, not 2007, not 2012, not 2015. It's just been one long endless slog of trying end arounds what actually needed to be done, with 1999-2023 a particularly dark era with the worst owner in all of American Sports in charge. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

I also haven’t seen the small hand critique for Daniels.  I don’t think that will be an issue for him.  But I am very interested to see the height and weight.  He doesn’t look like he is 6’4 to me.  There was also a video of him I saw recently where he was on GMF standing next to Nate Burleson and they looked like they were the same height.  Burleson measured 6’1 when he was at the combine.   

Maye on the other hand looks ever bit of 6’4.  We have all seen the picture of him towering over Howell at the bball game and this past weekend standing next to Will Levis (who measured at 6’4 at the combine).  

I think Daniels will measure at 6'3" and 5/8ths or something or close to 6'4. 

He was just with Justin Jefferson whose combine measurement was 6'1" (73.25)

26 minutes ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

But I am very interested to see the height and weight.  He doesn’t look like he is 6’4 to me.  There was also a video of him I saw recently where he was on GMF standing next to Nate Burleson and they looked like they were the same height.  Burleson measured 6’1 when he was at the combine.   

Here's Daniels standing in between Stroud (measured 6'3" at combine) and Bryce Young (measured very' very' smol" at combine)

Sooo.... Daniels is right around 6'4"

AYS Sports on X: "#LSU QB Jayden Daniels (@JayD__5) getting workout in with Bryce  Young & CJ Stroud. 👀👀 #AYS https://t.co/lB5GXqFhyR" / X

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2