Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I suspect if any talking head on the net says that Daniels is their top QB, or he's ahead of Maye or there are concerns about Maye -- its landing on this thread.

We need to hire some equal time Maye person here.  On occasion, i am in the mood to do it, but i got bored after doing it for a bit. :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I suspect if any talking head on the net says that Daniels is their top QB, or he's ahead of Maye or there are concerns about Maye -- its landing on this thread.

We need to hire some equal time Maye person here.  On occasion, i am in the mood to do it, but i got bored after doing it for a bit. :ols:

I just posted the convo with John Keim with Reid from ESPN who said he had Maye over Daniels! Nobody watched or responded to it!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Daniel runs as fast or faster than you did at your peak in the 40-yard dash, are you still part of the Maye camp? For those unfamiliar, @Skinsinparadise used to run a 4.4 40-yard dash. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Did you even watch the video you commented on? It shows plenty of film on the weaknesses that concern me and many others.

I watched it. Whoever that guy is, he basically just discussed/listed bullet points on the screen overlaying an ongoing clip of usually-unrelated action from the Bama game. Weird. Saw a decent handoff in there. Think he actually showed only two specific plays, totaling about 15 seconds of the 13-minute video, one a dropped int on a bad throw into coverage, the other a tipped-pass int.

That said, the bullet points did regurgitate some of the concerns (and some I just didn't see either in his clips or in watching games) we've discussed in this and other threads - takes too many hits, slender, doesn't slide enough.

A lot of the other "cons" were things I've not heard anywhere else.

I'd love it if Daniels came to Washington and turned out to be everything we always hoped RG3 would be - but I'm not sold on him doing that, either. Still, watching his tape, compared with Willams or Maye, gets me more excited about ... possibilities.

And isn't that what the offseason is all about? Let's dream while we can 🙃

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I just posted the convo with John Keim with Reid from ESPN who said he had Maye over Daniels! Nobody watched or responded to it!

Yeah but you didn't post a word about what was said, its not hard to notice that most don't listen here to full podcasts, i am one of the weird ones who does and i post what I hear and people seem to like my effort for doing it because they didn't want to give the time to do the same.  

If Reid said Daniels was his fav QB at 2, I bet you would mention it.  If you are posting stuff from people like Cam Marino whomever that is, never heard of him until today -- Jordan Reid i think would make the cut. 😎

It's all cool of course and to each their own.  But lol, the Maye versus Daniels stuff on the thread feels exhausting at times.   I don't think anyone is convincing anyone else at this point about one versus the other. 

I listened to the podcast this morning.  I heard Reid liking Maye over Daniels in his rankings and liking his fit to Klingsbury.  But I didn't post about it because at some point for me it gets a bit boring as to who likes whom.  But that's me.  To each their own.   And like I said every now and again I get back into it.  But I don't have the stamina to do it constantly.  :ols:

• Like 1

They're both talented. They both have flaws that need coaching up. At the very least, we should all be thrilled that we'll actually have a shot at an elite true blue chip QB without having to mortgage the future. It feels great to be rewarded after such a garbage season and end of garbage regime.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Well Jerry's post game presser made it clear that they do see it.  The problem for them is they have no viable alternative. And I do not consider Trey Lance to be a viable alternative. How often has a QB draft bust actually gone on to have lasting success on another team?

Steve Young.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounSt00.htm

So the answer is "not often".

• Like 1

I'm pretty much resolved at this point that I don't care which one we get,  Maye or Daniels.....I'd be cool with either one.   I just hope whatever happens, we make the best decision for the long term success of this team.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

They're both talented. They both have flaws that need coaching up. At the very least, we should all be thrilled that we'll actually have a shot at an elite true blue chip QB without having to mortgage the future. It feels great to be rewarded after such a garbage season and end of garbage regime.

Yeah big time.  I think both are big time Qb prospects.

Daniels is the more exciting prospect to me in the context that yes @wit33 I still love those mobile QBs.  But he feels to me a guy with likely a career that won't last 10-15 years like Maye's might last.   RG3 isn't the only mobile QB who got hurt.  There is a reason why RBs don't last a long time -- the wear and tear on their bodies take a toll.  Same for mobile QBs even the bigger dude mobile QBs.

As for Maye, i like the Herbert comps.  Great arm talent IMO.  And has some wheels, too. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I'd just love to be a fly on the wall of our staff meetings when they discuss these QBs. This is going to be a decision that determines the next generation of Commanders football. Get it right and we're gonna be running the NFC for the next decade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I really want to know if we are bringing in a veteran QB or plan to just roll with Howell as the backup. If Maye is the pick I think it is absolutely imperative that we get a veteran (and no I do not care at all that he is friends with Sam. Sam has so much that he needs to work on aaking him to mentor/help someone else would be absurd. That would be like asking Zach Wilson to mentor someone)

What does Sam's mom look like?

• Thumb up 1

22 hours ago, MartinC said:

Nothing from our front office - the days of us being a leaky ship are hopefully behind us. But right now Maye is consistently being mocked to us by guys in the know like Daniel Jeremiah who listen to whats is being said around the league plus Maye is known to Kingsbury and played in a similar system to the one he runs - and right now Maye is the consensus #2 QB. 

That could change and Im not saying its 100% we are taking Maye - just that its the most likely outcome right now. A lot of the process to play out yet though, visits and interviews will be important.

Side note, love having a QB named, "The Drake," nice Seinfeld call back, played by the great comedian Rick Overton (he of many of the best impressions around this side of Carvey back in the eighties and nineties) during peak, golden era Seinfeld (1991-1995). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

Side note, love having a QB named, "The Drake," nice Seinfeld call back, played by the great comedian Rick Overton (he of many of the best impressions around this side of Carvey back in the eighties and nineties) during peak, golden era Seinfeld (1991-1995). 

Do Right And Kill Everything

The one down side is that they might just blast Drake songs everytime Maye tosses a TD. Get ready for 3-4 renditions of "Miss Me" when we rout the Cowboys Week 1.

37 minutes ago, wit33 said:

If Daniel runs as fast or faster than you did at your peak in the 40-yard dash, are you still part of the Maye camp? For those unfamiliar, @Skinsinparadise used to run a 4.4 40-yard dash. 

I am glad you remember.  I mentioned it twice two-three years ago in the context where various people here were making fun of the idea of how people here could be the next QB for this team, so i said at least I can run.  But at this point, you've brought it up more than those 2 times that i joked about it back then, so I appreciate you keeping it alive.    I'll of course do the same for you as always propping you up as the basketball maestro since you've brought that up every now and then.  😎

As for Daniels.  You might remember that before @ThatNFLChick took leadership on the Daniels is the dude front, it was me.  :D    So my opinion on Daniels never changed.  but the context months ago when I pushed the idea centered on us picking somewhere between 3-6.  Picking #2 was a pipe dream for me at the time.  Early this season on this thread I flat out said taking Maye would be a no brainer if we landed at #2 but we won't be picking #2.  i was wrong then.  Wildy, we are indeed picking 2 and i am elated.

So in short I like Daniels but I didn't like him over Maye.  For me there was a span of a week or so ago month backs when I did a detour on this when I watched so much Daniels and so little Maye.  But then when I dove harder into watching Maye -- Maye became very solidly my guy at #2 again.

But I wouldn't hate it if they took Daniels.  I've liked Daniels. That's never changed.  If i am forced to debate 100 million times Maye versus Daniels, it can come off like am down on Daniels because I am pushed to explain why X over Y again and again and again. 

My thought on Daniels is he has to run to make the most of his ability.  And he needs to run a lot.    Maye has some mechanical issues to fix but to me Daniels has more to adjust to than Maye as to being a ready passer in the NFL.  Granted maybe Daniels running like mad could mask what he needs to work on early.   And I could run with that thought but the key for me is he would have to run a lot.  I mean run like the same amount RG3 ran.

But Daniels has some work to do.  You can't just take off like Daniels does when he gets pressured in the pocket.  He needs to become comfortable throwing off platform versus taking off.   He needs to throw with anticipation versus throwing when receivers are open.  In the NFL he needs to become more comfortable throwing to the 2nd level.     He also needs to become more comfortable throwing in tight windows.  Like any young QB, he has shown flashes that he can do all of what i mentioned -- but I've learned over the years not to be taken in by flashes. 

My feeling is if its Daniels.  It will be exciting.  But the durabilty concerns are high with me about him. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah but you didn't post a word about what was said, its not hard to notice that most don't listen here to full podcasts, i am one of the weird ones who does and i post what I hear and people seem to like my effort for doing it because they didn't want to give the time to do the same.  

If Reid said Daniels was his fav QB at 2, I bet you would mention it.  If you are posting stuff from people like Cam Marino whomever that is, never heard of him until today -- Jordan Reid i think would make the cut. 😎

It's all cool of course and to each their own.  But lol, the Maye versus Daniels stuff on the thread feels exhausting at times.   I don't think anyone is convincing anyone else at this point about one versus the other. 

I listened to the podcast this morning.  I heard Reid liking Maye over Daniels in his rankings and liking his fit to Klingsbury.  But I didn't post about it because at some point for me it gets a bit boring as to who likes whom.  But that's me.  To each their own.   And like I said every now and again I get back into it.  But I don't have the stamina to do it constantly.  :ols:

LOL, for the record I think this team is probably more likely to take Maye because of the Air Raid system (I am leaning 60/40 right now). It's not my preference (neither is the system nor the OC or offensive line coach frankly) but is where I am currently leaning. My gut tells me right now that Daniels ends up in Atlanta (I don't think the Raiders will be able to trade up to get him though they will try).  All the current league rumors seem to be lining up that way too. 

There is still interviews, combines, pro days of course and we have definitely seen things shift. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

This thread is exhausting, and it’s only February 13th.

I’m not even sure how some of you have landed so hard, with basically tunnel vision on one of these guys, at this point.

I understand it’s team Maye vs team Daniels, primarily because we select at 2.

But for me, Caleb Williams is clearly the most talented of all 3 prospects and it’s not even particularly close.  He also has the most question marks from a personality standpoint.  He’s really the only blue chip QB prospect I can recall that is this polarizing.  Perhaps it’s the times we are living in, but question marks about being overly emotional, painted fingernails, wearing a dress, etc. are all new to surface.  I personally don’t really care about that stuff, but A LOT of people do, and not just fans.  Franchise QB’s have historically been a “dude”, alpha leaders that are easy to follow.  But with NIL and the transfer portal, I expect to see more eccentric prospects in the future.  Caleb is just the first of many.  Let me be clear, I have no idea if Caleb has the characteristics of your typical alpha leader or not.  Whats been portrayed about him though is definitely different than we’ve been accustomed.

What gets discovered and publicized about him as a personality in the coming months will determine how it all shakes out for us.  

I simply cannot put my eggs in the Maye or Daniels basket because I still have some level of hope that we end up with Williams.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This thread is exhausting, and it’s only February 13th.

I’m not even sure how some of you have landed so hard, with basically tunnel vision on one of these guys, at this point.

I understand it’s team Maye vs team Daniels, primarily because we select at 2.

But for me, Caleb Williams is clearly the most talented of all 3 prospects and it’s not even particularly close.  He also has the most question marks from a personality standpoint.  He’s really the only blue chip QB prospect I can recall that is this polarizing.  Perhaps it’s the times we are living in, but question marks about being overly emotional, painted fingernails, wearing a dress, etc. are all new to surface.  I personally don’t really care about that stuff, but A LOT of people do, and not just fans.  Franchise QB’s have historically been a “dude”, alpha leaders that are easy to follow.  But with NIL and the transfer portal, I expect to see more eccentric prospects in the future.  Caleb is just the first of many.  Let me be clear, I have no idea if Caleb has the characteristics of your typical alpha leader or not.  Whats been portrayed about him though is definitely different than we’ve been accustomed.

What gets discovered and publicized about him as a personality in the coming months will determine how it all shakes out for us.  

I simply cannot put my eggs in the Maye or Daniels basket because I still have some level of hope that we end up with Williams.

Chicago isn't dealing the pick so it really doesn't matter how any of us feel about Williams.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

I watched it. Whoever that guy is, he basically just discussed/listed bullet points on the screen overlaying an ongoing clip of usually-unrelated action from the Bama game. Weird. Saw a decent handoff in there. Think he actually showed only two specific plays, totaling about 15 seconds of the 13-minute video, one a dropped int on a bad throw into coverage, the other a tipped-pass int.

That said, the bullet points did regurgitate some of the concerns (and some I just didn't see either in his clips or in watching games) we've discussed in this and other threads - takes too many hits, slender, doesn't slide enough.

A lot of the other "cons" were things I've not heard anywhere else.

I'd love it if Daniels came to Washington and turned out to be everything we always hoped RG3 would be - but I'm not sold on him doing that, either. Still, watching his tape, compared with Willams or Maye, gets me more excited about ... possibilities.

And isn't that what the offseason is all about? Let's dream while we can 🙃

I agree that he should have included clips to demonstrate his points. He said he watched film of a big list of games but then didn't show any specifics. Not saying he's lying, just that it would be much more persuasive in general if he'd done that.

That being said, some of his points I do find valid as well. The slender frame/hits stuff has already been discussed here ad nauseam, so we'll drop that. To another big point of his, In the cutups I watched I also noticed how rarely Daniels went through multiple reads and how often he locked on to his first read. And it's definitely concerning.

His points about pocket presence and pressure are sort of taken, though I think he overstated them a bit. The inaccuracy thing I did see some of, but it wasn't quite as concerning for me as other things like few tight window throws, few anticipation throws, and the lack of going through multiple progressions.

The holding on to the ball thing I believe is legit, but I'm not sure what the source is. Is it Daniels being indecisive? Is it him being comfortable with a good OL that tended to protect pretty well? Was it by offensive design via long developing routes? Was it because he didn't make lots of anticipation throws and tended to wait until his guys were obviously open?

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Caleb is my top QB.  But I think me, @wit33, @Koolblue13 are more likely to be the next QB here than Caleb.  I don't think its Caleb by a mile over Maye or Daniels.  But I do think he's a clear half peg ahead.

The reason why i am not even entertaining the idea...

A.  Every Bears beat guy that I've listened to on the topic, most national reporters ditto are saying its Caleb for the Bears.    At this given time years back for example before the Cards took Kyler, there was some ambiguity as for what they would do.  The only ambiguity in this case I can tell so far is just talking heads enjoying speculating about this but to me that isn't meaningful.

B.  Keim.  Our best version of deep throat.   :ols:  In multiple podcasts, have referenced that he doesn't think this team likely wants to trade up.   They will consider of course everything but the vibe he gets is they will not trade up.  Granted its early, will see.

I am gathering for those hoping for that big trade up for Caleb, Caleb will have to pull an Eli.  

Speaking for myself, i am elated though at Drake or Daniels who would be the #1 Qb in many drafts over the years.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s February, still a lot of time for them to mess things up, or for Caleb’s camp to help them mess things up.

I think it has to be Caleb pulling an Eli coupled with this team having a Rams F-the picks attitude giving up 2 first rounders and multiple 2nd rounders -- some say it will take 3 first rounders even from trading up from 2 but that seems beyond insane so hard for me to believe it gets that level expensive.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Caleb is my top QB.  But I think me, @wit33, @Koolblue13 are more likely to be the next QB here than Caleb.  I don't think its Caleb by a mile over Maye or Daniels.  But I do think he's a clear half peg ahead.

The reason why i am not even entertaining the idea...

A.  Every Bears beat guy that I've listened to on the topic, most national reporters ditto are saying its Caleb for the Bears.    At this given time for example before the Cards took Kyler, there was some ambiguity as for what they would do.  the only ambiguity I can tell so far is just talking heads enjoying speculating about this but to me that isn't meaningful.

B.  Keim.  Our best version of deep throat.   :ols:  In multiple podcasts, have referenced that he doesn't think this team likely wants to trade up.   They will consider of course everything but the vibe he gets is they will not trade up.  Granted its early, will see.

I am gathering for those hoping for that big trade up for Caleb, Caleb will have to pull an Eli.  

Speaking for myself, i am elated though at Drake or Daniels who would be the #1 Qb in many drafts over the years.

I’ve been a roller coaster regarding this crop of QBs.  Perhaps if I saw Maye the way you guys do, I’d be able to swallow that there is no shot at Caleb.  I just don’t see special with Maye, and he feels like a consolation prize.

Its likely a fools errand, but I can’t help but hold out hope for an Eli like situation or some turn of events that sends Caleb to us.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

LOL, for the record I think this team is probably more likely to take Maye because of the Air Raid system (I am leaning 60/40 right now). It's not my preference but is where I am currently leaning. My gut tells me right now that Daniels ends up in Atlanta (I don't think the Raiders will be able to trade up to get him though they will try).  All the current league rumors seem to be lining up that way too. 

There is still interviews, combines, pro days of course and we have definitely seen things shift. 

Combine and the interviews might be the first shift.  For example, I recall for example Corral and Carson Strong coming off weaker after those interviews.  

If I had to quantify now, purely based on rumors, etc.

55% chance its Maye

40% chance its Daniels

4% chance trade down with McCarthy as the target

1% chance they trade up for Caleb

• Thumb up 1

Wow, really thought peters would want to put his stamp on the franchise and get aggressive with a big splash, especially after johnson spurned them at the last minute. Still, schefter could be wrong

Guess we'll have to go with maye and maybe hit .500 or daniels and hope he doesnt land on IR within the first few games. Or we could trade down, get mccarthy and watch another fun season of howell again

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Well thanks for admitting it. Nothing better than people forming opinions on things they didnt even bother to watch. Opinion disregarded. 

Not sure what's confusing for you.  If a flat Earther posted a video would you even bother to watch it?  That's all she is saying, this guy lacks credibility and we have so many other sources to chose from.