Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

No I didn't. I considered the source and ignored it. I am not one to listen to any and everyone or watch YT videos all day from random people who do film study or want engagement. I have already posted whose opinions I value most based on previous evaluations they've done, how they evaluate, their hit rate, etc. But if you value his opinion thats cool too. 

Didn’t you post a video of Daniel’s throwing over the middle twice each game and say this will end the debate of him not being able to throw over the middle? I think that speaks for itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve been a roller coaster regarding this crop of QBs.  Perhaps if I saw Maye the way you guys do, I’d be able to swallow that there is no shot at Caleb.  I just don’t see special with Maye, and he feels like a consolation prize.

Its likely a fools errand, but I can’t help but hold out hope for an Eli like situation or some turn of events that sends Caleb to us.

All three of them have mega upside.  You are betting on traits.

A.  Caleb -- insane off platform.  Great arm talent.  Great touch with first level throws.

B.  Maye -- Very good arm talent, great moments off platform but inconsistent, good mobility for a dude his size, high intangibles

C. Daniels -- wicked speed, great deep ball, high intangibles

Weaknesses

A. Caleb -- personality?  Can he play in structure? Fumbles, fumbles, fumbles

B.  Maye -- accuracy is inconsistent because footwork is inconsistent, especially off platform

C.  Daniels - durability, can he become more of an off platform thrower?  Throw more with anticipation?

Caleb's talent IMO is wicked.  The other two though have very high end talent.  They all have some potential bust in them but that's common for almost every draft prospect.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Not sure what's confusing for you.  If a flat Earther posted a video would you even bother to watch it?  That's all she is saying, this guy lacks credibility and we have so many other sources to chose from. 

I was gonna watch it but immediately closed the video after the massive disclaimer the dude put right in the start of their own vid. He knows exactly the pool he is wading into.

If your gonna buck conventional wisdom and general consensus to the point you have to warn me beforehand to limit backlash, you better have a name behind that take. Otherwise, not worth my time.

10 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

Wow, really thought peters would want to put his stamp on the franchise and get aggressive with a big splash, especially after johnson spurned them at the last minute. Still, schefter could be wrong

Guess we'll have to go with maye and maybe hit .500 or daniels and hope he doesnt land on IR within the first few games. Or we could trade down, get mccarthy and watch another fun season of howell again

It all depends on the kinds of grades we have on guys. If you have a high grade on 2 guys, with one being slightly higher, is it really worth it to give up likely multiple 1st round picks to move up for the first guy or stand pat and take the guy who you also have rated highly and keep those picks?

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I was gonna watch it but immediately closed the video after the massive disclaimer the dude put right in the start of their own vid. He knows exactly the pool he is wading into.

If your gonna buck conventional wisdom and general consensus to the point you have to warn me beforehand to limit backlash, you better have a name behind that take. Otherwise, not worth my time.

I'm not entirely sure what that warning was about. Leading into it with that I figured he was going to talk about how Daniels is actually a lazy ****ty person or something. You know, something that would be far far outside of what anyone else has said. But he then just talked about things like slight frame, holding onto the ball too long, not going through multiple progressions, locking onto 1st reads. Things that can certainly be debated, but nothing jaw droppingly out of nowhere.

Edited by mistertim

On 2/11/2024 at 4:38 PM, Going Commando said:

You don't watch ACC football?  ACC defenses were better than SEC defenses this year.  You keep ****ting on the ACC as if it's the Sun Belt, and all it really tells me is you probably never watched any ACC games.

Cards on the table, who in here actually sat down and watched a Drake Maye game live the past two years?

I watched every Howell and Maye game start to finish and feel like Maye is a much better prospect 

Edited by HTTSkins
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The more I am hearing/reading, the more I am coming around to the idea of taking JJ McCarthy if the right trade-down offer is presented to us. Seems like the scouting community is really high on him, particularly his processing abilities. 

If we trade down there is no guarantee we have a shot at him.  You're suggesting we pass up a guaranteed shot at one of the Big 3 to risk taking a lesser prospect.

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If we trade down there is no guarantee we have a shot at him.  You're suggesting we pass up a guaranteed shot at one of the Big 3 to risk taking a lesser prospect.

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Making splashes was Dan Snyder's thing. GMAP is gonna build this the right way.

Just for the record, if we trade down I’m guessing you will still support that as being the GMAP ‘right way’. Or does GMAP need to be picking Maye at #2 in order to be doing it the right way by GMWH36 ? :)

27 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The more I am hearing/reading, the more I am coming around to the idea of taking JJ McCarthy if the right trade-down offer is presented to us. Seems like the scouting community is really high on him, particularly his processing abilities. 

You've been wanting to trade down for months.  I recall you talking about trading even with the Giants, give them the QB they want so we can add more picks.  So the idea that you are coming around on this i gather is about you liking this version of trading down the most. 

It's cool.  To each their own.  But to play devils advocate how do we know if we trade down McCarthy will be there waiting for us at that pick? 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Just for the record, if we trade down I’m guessing you will still support that as being the GMAP ‘right way’. Or does GMAP need to be picking Maye at #2 in order to be doing it the right way by GMWH36 ? :)

Personally, I wouldn’t consider a trade down similar to the dark ones splash moves. Most of us would support whatever our new GM does until he proves otherwise and I’ve seen many say just that. Would I question him for moving off a chance at maye or Daniels. yeah. Would I think it’s a dumb move at the time. yeah. Will I still trust the process? Yeah.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Listen, I have never been totally against trading down. I would trust their decision but they would have to nail it. 

I don't understand why we would trade down for a QB whose experience is running a COMPLETELY different offense than the one we will run. McCarthy works under center more than any other QB in this class, thats what he knows, and Kliff never has his QBs work from under center.

Speaking of McCarthy, Bullock has been watching him

Edited by ThatNFLChick

3 minutes ago, mh86 said:

Personally, I wouldn’t consider a trade down similar to the dark ones splash moves. Most of us would support whatever our new GM does until he proves otherwise and I’ve seen many say just that. Would I question him for moving off a chance at maye or Daniels. yeah. Would I think it’s a dumb move at the time. yeah. Will I still trust the process? Yeah.

Yeah me too.  I wouldn't like a trade down in real time.   But I'd swallow it especially if they land McCarthy.  But Peters better be right. If for example Maye becomes the next Herbert or Daniels the next Lamar and whatever QB we end up ends up "meh" -- Peters should be fired.  It would be a giant mistake -- and for me an unforgivable one.  So if he goes that route, cool but he better nail it.

• Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You've been wanting to trade down for months.  I recall you talking about trading even with the Giants, give them the QB they want so we can add more picks.  So the idea that you are coming around on this i gather is about you liking this version of trading down the most. 

It's cool.  To each their own.  But to play devils advocate how do we know if we trade down McCarthy will be there waiting for us at that pick? 

I'm still team Maye. I'm just using the PFF mock draft yesterday as fodder for the idea.

Yes, I love the idea of adding a bunch of picks. But first and foremost I want to get "our QB" ...

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I don't understand why we would trade down for a QB whose experience is running a COMPLETELY different offense than the one we will run. McCarthy works under center more than any other QB in this class, thats what he knows, and Kliff never has his QBs work from under center.

This is a good point. I am overlooking that aspect. I think the writing on the wall is Maye/Caleb. I'm just throwing out stuff on McCarthy because of the PFF mock.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He can play out of shotgun, too.  Efficient passer and can run.  I'd think he'd adjust fine to Klingsbury.  Having said that, I'd much rather stay at 2.  And i like both Maye and Daniels a full peg over McCarthy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Trading down would fit with his MO of wanting to build through the draft. I hate the idea of passing up a true blue chip QB(whether its Maye or Daniels)but it would fit his philosophy more than mortgaging the future to move up one spot would.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah me too.  I wouldn't like a trade down in real time.   But I'd swallow it especially if they land McCarthy.  But Peters better be right. If for example Maye becomes the next Herbert or Daniels the next Lamar and whatever QB we end up ends up "meh" -- Peters should be fired.  It would be a giant mistake -- and for me an unforgivable one.  So if he goes that route, cool but he better nail it.

Yep agreed. If a GM has a shot at a true blue chip QB and passes on him, that's immediate justification for termination.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Combine and the interviews might be the first shift.

I think this is where Maye will particularly shine. He is known as a football junkie. Not saying the other two arent. Just that interviews are supposed to be where Maye will be really good. 

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There is no guaranteed any of the 4 will succeed either? But to your point if you made a trade down like PFF's to12 back up to10 mock, which team has enough power to block you from moving wherever you wanted to move up too?   You have extra 2/1's 1/2 to go along with 2 high no.2's/ 3/ 4/ 5... this year.  Would leave you with extra picks, is the way I see it.  

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Not sure what's confusing for you.  If a flat Earther posted a video would you even bother to watch it?  That's all she is saying, this guy lacks credibility and we have so many other sources to chose from.  

I am not saying anyone should be forced to watch anything. But you probably shouldnt comment on a vid if havent even taken the time to watch it. That makes no sense. 

55 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Agree. I am seeing more and more mocks of Denver trading up to like 5 or 6 to pick him. I would not pick JJ before Maye. Or even Daniels most likely. But if thats what analytics tell them is the right move I wouldnt necessarily hate them trading back a couple of spots either. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

For the QB gurus here, how fixable are the top prospects' flaws?  (Obviously height isn't fixable.)

Williams and Maye's flaws are mental. And can be fixed. You cannot fix a frail body. I cannot wait to see what Daniels weighs at the combine. And if he is over 200 pounds he wont run guaranteed. 

Edit: There are also reports he has small hands. I am not going to be a hypocrite and bash him for it after not caring about it for Pickett. But to some that will be an issue as well. I dont think that means a thing though. 

Edited by clskinsfan

3 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

For the QB gurus here, how fixable are the top prospects' flaws?  (Obviously height isn't fixable.)

1. Maye -

• Mechanics issues are a mixed bag. I think most of the QBs that came into the NFL with mechanics issues benefit greatly from sitting a year (Mahomes, Rodgers, Love, etc) or they took a lot of patience to correct (Josh Allen took about 2 and a half years). I think thats why someone like Stroud or Burrow had less of a rough start as rookies, they were very sound mechnically.
  • Since we are likely running a type of Air Raid system that will probably be simple and similar to the one who ran at UNC it might not be a big learning curve there (if we were running something else I think the curve would be pretty steep)

2. Daniels -

• Getting him to slide is also a mixed bag. He didn't play basbell, he did track, soccer and basketball. I find that baseball players have a more natural feel for sliding. In order for him to sustain at the NFL level he has to protect himself and slide more so has to figure that out.
  • Some of the other issues mentioned here (consistently throwing over the middle, keeping his eyes down the field when he takes off to run) I think are just about repetition and doing them consistently (in the offseason, during practice, etc). LSU didn't use their TE's a ton in the passing game, Taylor was hurt through a lot of the season. 

And we're not getting Caleb Williams so no point. 

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What if J.J. becomes the next Purdy and you have the extra picks?  Also if Peters misses on 1 of the top 3 and takes the wrong one (Stroud) like last year, he should be fired too. Another blown top pick cannot be had, QB or whatever. The only top picks I can remember us hitting on were 2 LT's. LT is not the pick for me for the record just saying. Whatever they do I will back if it Works.