Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

52 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

If Sam Howell were Sam Howell + 4 inches we'd probably be salivating over MHJr right now.

His girlfriend would probably be salivating too...

To far?  Maybe?  Maybe not?  Who's to say....

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Obviously its about the next GM but its an entertaining thought.  Now I got to watch more Caleb.:ols:

I think Graziano is throwing **** at the wall because:

1. Nobody in the building is going to be around to make the pick, so who cares what they say.

2. I'm damn sure Josh Harris hasn't told anybody about his preference about GM or FO, and who knows what those un-hired people will want to do.

3. I'm also damn sure Josh Harris hasn't told anybody if he thinks they should take a QB and who that would be. 

It could be true.  This feels like one of those "let me report the dot connecting so if it comes true I can pretend to know things I guessed about" reports.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Heard a really good quote from Shehan this morning that I agree with.  It went something along the lines of...

"If you aren't sure if you have your quarterback in week 17, THEN YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR QUARTERBACK."

It was just in regards to drafting a QB next year or not, and he is clearly fully on board with drafting one of them.

• Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Obviously its about the next GM but its an entertaining thought.  Now I got to watch more Caleb.:ols:

I wouldn't waste your time. I see no possible way we get to #1 overall and while nothing is certain expect death and taxes I think its highly unlikely Williams does not go #1 overall to the Bears.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Don't have whoever will be GM. Don't have whoever will be HC. I imagine if you want to be vague, 32 teams have SOME interest. But what the actual ****? I don't have ESPN+ tp read this, but come on.

This is the blurb.  Graziano is a long time national reporter and plugged in.  But really all he's saying here is OTHER teams FOs believe this.

I get why some would think they would.  Caleb is the most exciting QB prospect in this draft.  And if they want a reset it would provide some intrigue and excitement with fans.  But of course we have no idea until the new FO is in place.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39188241/nfl-week-17-upset-prediction-buzz-playoff-picture-coaching-hot-seats

What else are you hearing this week?

Graziano's notebook:

• The Commanders are a team to watch over the coming weeks for a number of reasons. With new ownership in place, changes are expected on the coaching staff and in the front office -- and potentially at quarterback. If the season ended right now, Washington would hold the No. 3 pick in the draft. If it loses its last two and Arizona wins one, it could get as high as No. 2.

There's some thought around the league that Washington is very interested in Caleb Williams, a Washington, D.C., native who's the strong favorite to be picked first overall. The Commanders, with a break here or there over the next couple of weeks, could find themselves in position to either draft Williams or trade up a spot or two to get him. Watch what they do with Sam Howell over the final two weeks. After he got pulled and replaced by Jacoby Brissett in the past two outings, there's a chance Howell sits the rest of the way.

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I wouldn't waste your time. I see no possible way we get to #1 overall and while nothing is certain expect death and taxes I think its highly unlikely Williams does not go #1 overall to the Bears.

I've been on that train for months.  And I still lean in that direction in a big way.  But if he is linked to this team for whatever reason in the upcoming months, I at least want to have a real opinion on him.

I've watched Caleb in real time, and seen some of his sick plays in that process.  But I think I'll dive in a bit more albiet I agree its likely a waste of time.

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

1. Nobody in the building is going to be around to make the pick, so who cares what they say.

If you read the blurb all he's basically saying is other front offices-teams are thinking this.

As I said when I posted it, there is no FO so there is no way to know but the thought is entertaning.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been on that train for months.  And I still lean in that direction in a big way.  But if he is linked to this team for whatever reason in the upcoming months, I at least want to have a real opinion on him.

I've watched Caleb in real time, and seen some of his sick plays in that process.  But I think I'll dive in a bit more albiet I agree its likely a waste of time.

I've watched maybe three games of his this season. I'd like to see a lot more of him making plays within a scheme in rhythm on time. So much of their offense seems to be have receivers run scramble drill and let Williams figure it out. But the arm talent generally and ability to create outside the scheme are elite.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I've watched maybe three games of his this season. I'd like to see a lot more of him making plays within a scheme in rhythm on time. So much of their offense seems to be have receivers run scramble drill and let Williams figure it out. But the arm talent generally and ability to create outside the scheme are elite.

Good points, I'd like to know more about his leadership, smarts, competitiveness and toughness.

I'm scarred as a Sixers fan because Ben Simmons had all the tools and more as the resounding consensus generational #1 overall pick. He is a complete dog who is a waste of talent. Therefore, I'm sure Harris, Magic and company won't make that mistake again. We know Harrison is a game changer, we need to make sure the guy we pick is too.

Edited by kingdaddy
Redundant

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am totally against this.  

I have no idea how good any of these guys are going to be.

However, you take your shot early and see if it works out.  You get the guy with the best physical skills and track record.

You have to get VERY VERY lucky to hit on a QB later in the draft.  Hell, you have to get lucky to hit on a QB early in the draft.  But the odds are better.  

Agree.

The stats on successful QBs after the first round is insanely bad.  I posted those numbers earlier today.

For every Tom Brady there are 30 Jordan Palmers.  But people cling on to the Bradys or Purdys because the narrative is so wild and unique not because its so common.

You don't read stories about how come Todd Husak, Joe Hamilton, Wes Pate, Jeff Kelly, John Navarre and on and on don't succeed.  They dissappear into oblivion and people just remember the outlier successes.    But the success rate the lower you go down in the draft is beyond bad.

36 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I imagine daniels is more reluctant to let it rip on the run is because he truly believes in his running abilities. I know you want your qb always looking to make the throw but there has been so many times this year that I wish Sam would've just taken off at full speed and run soon as he broke pocket. He had the corner many times. With daniels elite speed, if he gets the corner he gets chunk yardage and even breaks off big ones often. If we get him I hope he continues that but does it in a safer manner by getting out of bounds or giving himself up especially if he hasn't made it past the linebackers. I think he is big enough to withstand a hit from a db

Its a bit extreme, its something he needs to improve on

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you read the blurb all he's basically saying is other front offices-teams are thinking this.

I get that. But they are thinking this without knowing who is running Washington in a few weeks. He could have added that to his blurb that it's understandably hard to know what the next leadership will want in a QB.

As plugged in as anyone might be, the only thing I believe right now is from a note about Harris at the last owners meetings. He was personable. A lot of the Future GM folks were interested in talking to him. He held his cards close to his chest and didn't give any sense of specifics for what's coming. 

Edited by @DCGoldPants

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I was watching Marshawn Lloyd and not fully focused on Caleb but saw some sick throws in that process.

One of which I mentioned at the time on the draft thread where the center botched the snap, Caleb had to run back like 8 yards to get it, he grabs it, a defender is bearing down on him, and he throws a perfect 30 yard or so pass to an open receiver off of his back foot.  That was one of the better passes I've ever seen. 

51 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I haven’t watched a ton of Maye but he plays nothing like Howell. Just play style wise, he reminds me of Andrew Luck. Big guy with functional athleticism and stands tall in the pocket. 

Only similarities to Howell are school and skin color. Sam was running around in a constant state of chaos in all of his highlights at UNC. 

That is frankly disingenuous. During his college days, between 2019-2021, Howell threw for 10,800 yards and had 92 TD's - both school records.  Highly doubtful he was running around in a "constant state of chaos" to achieve those stats...lol.

He earned ACC rookie of the year honors in 2019.  He lost 4 key players on offense after his first two years. His 2 key receivers and both RBs moved on, two into the NFL. That forced him to run a lot more and improvise more during his 3rd year, he rushed for 789 yards.

Maye does not have Sam's arm, but he has his mental toughness and ability to run.  Sure, the Commanders could draft him, but they sure as hell better clean the O line up and bring in a TE and a BIG body receiver.

I would also say, part of the reason the offense looked different both times Jacoby replaced Howell, is because they were calling different plays for Brissett.  I think EB hurt Sam Howell with his play calling. During the Jets game, for example, there were shorter, to medium range throws, followed by a number of runs, which, because of the variety opened things up make some deeper throws downfield.   And I am not excusing the boneheaded plays of Howell's, but he sure as hell was not operating with a OC who played to his strengths.    

44 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It has some legs IF Ian Cunningham is our new GM from the Bears.  We did business with the Bears trading them Sweat, not that really matter but IF Ian becomes our GM there is a door that could allow us to trade with the Bears.  Personally, I don't want to give up massive draft picks to move up 2 spots.  We shall see though.  A lot of things have to fall into place for Willams to be a Commander.  

Edited by RWJ

10 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

That is frankly disingenuous. During his college days, between 2019-2021, Howell threw for 10,800 yards and had 92 TD's - both school records.  Highly doubtful he was running around in a "constant state of chaos" to achieve those stats...lol.

He earned ACC rookie of the year honors in 2019.  He lost 4 key players on offense after his first two years. His 2 key receivers and both RBs moved on, two into the NFL. That forced him to run a lot more and improvise more during his 3rd year, he rushed for 789 yards.

Maye does not have Sam's arm, but he has his mental toughness and ability to run.  Sure, the Commanders could draft him, but they sure as hell better clean the O line up and bring in a TE and a BIG body receiver.

I would also say, part of the reason the offense looked different both times Jacoby replaced Howell, is because they were calling different plays for Brissett.  I think EB hurt Sam Howell with his play calling. During the Jets game, for example, there were shorter, to medium range throws, followed by a number of runs, which, because of the variety opened things up make some deeper throws downfield.   And I am not excusing the boneheaded plays of Howell's, but he sure as hell was not operating with a OC who played to his strengths.    

My goodness. I just meant he made a lot of off schedule plays. Just like he does here. That’s his style. That’s all I meant. He was a very productive player at UNC. IMO, he’s very different than Maye style wise. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Any early info on the mental makeup of the top 3 QBs? One of them stand above the rest relating to commitment to the game? 

Still digesting.  Both Daniels and Maye.  Both come off hard working and more on the quiet side.  You might like the Maye basketball ties.  It seems like with Daniels the work ethic kicked in this year as opposed to something he always had.

From what I read so far and watching some interviews.

Jayden -- low key, nice guy, serious maybe a bit shy.

Maye -- comes off a bit country with his southern accent.  Not extrovert or introverted somewhere in between.  He and Howell are super close.  So drafting him here would be a bit wild on that front. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/drake-maye-north-carolina-family-tradition-flourishing/ttwufyuwedm9jgvweboq8gzs

Maye, a one-time Alabama commit, is leading the bounce-back season. It's the ultimate Tar Heel tale, with two generations of quarterbacks and connection to North Carolina coach Mack Brown that made it possible. Those closest to Drake Maye have seen this coming. 

Passing TD leaders among freshmen
Name Passing TDs
Drake Maye, North Carolina 11
A.J. Swann, Vanderbilt 6
Clay Millen, Colorado State 5
Aveon Smith, Miami-Ohio 5

"He wouldn't have enough time to start but he could be a guy who would play on their basketball team," North Carolina coach Mack Brown told SN. "He's that good at basketball."

That is the North Carolina basketball team Brown is talking about. Turns out Drake has a good pump fake in basketball, too. 

"They're highly competitive, but they also are people of faith and they believe in treating people right and doing everything right," Brown said. "Drake is never going to say a cuss word. That's just not who he is." 

So, who is Drake Maye? 

Brown knows where Drake picked up the mechanics. Brown saw them in the 1980s in Chapel Hill, N.C., from a quarterback he believes would have made the NFL if not for a shoulder injury. 

"Without question the fact that his father was the leading passer in the ACC and he coached him at an early age and helped him with his throwing motion has helped," Brown said. "Drake has got such a quick release, and he's so accurate." 

Mark Maye was a two-year starter for the Tar Heels in 1986-87 under coach Dick Crum. Mark remembered his first big-game start at North Carolina against No. 15 Florida State on Sept. 20, 1986. Did Maye avoid throwing passes in Florida State cornerback Deion Sanders' vicinity? 

"I tried to," Maye told SN with a belly laugh. "We knew they had great players and he was definitely one of them, but that game ended up in a 10-10 tie."

Drake appreciates his father's football recall, but talks just as much about his father's work ethic. 

"He gets up when the stock market opens and he's working until 4:30 when the stock market closes," Maye said. "He's doing after-hours stuff. It's kind of that obsession over something that he tries to instill in us. If we find something we love, then he tells us to put the maximum effort into it."

When Mark graduated from North Carolina, he sought a coaching position with the new coach. Brown's first stint with the Tar Heels was in 1988, and he hired Mark as a graduate assistant. That connection would pay off with Drake later. 

"I got to see first-hand what a great person he is and how he cares about all people and obviously his players," Mark Maye said. "There's nobody better than Coach Brown at getting along with people and handling people."

Luke Maye's spot in North Carolina lore is secure. He hit the game-winning shot against Kentucky in the Elite Eight in the 2017 men's basketball tournament. Luke remembers Drake playing up in youth sports and the lessons he learned the long way from his older brothers. Drake gets texts from Luke each week with simple messages. 

"It's your time." 

"Don't change a thing." 

"Have fun out there." 

"Drake is on his own path, and I want it to be about him," Luke said. "He has put in a lot of work to get this far. He knows there is more work to do." 

When Brown took the North Carolina job in 2019, Luke attended a few spring practices. He even spoke with the team at one point. Meanwhile, Drake was an emerging four-star recruit at Myers Park High School. He committed to Alabama on Nov. 9, 2019, two months after future Heisman winner Bryce Young committed to Nick Saban. Brown was not worried. 

"I never thought Drake would go to Alabama because this is his school," Brown said. "This is his family's school." 

Drake developed a rapport with North Carolina offensive coordinator Phil Longo in the recruiting process. Drake said Mark and his mother Aimee, also a North Carolina grad, didn't pressure the decision. Still, Drake felt the close-to-home call. He flipped to North Carolina on March 6, 2020. 

https://www.nola.com/sports/lsu/5-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-lsus-jayden-daniels/article_29f539b8-9456-11ee-9760-93d17b0d3e8c.html#:~:text=“He's so stoic.,Always calm and collected.

Five things you probably didn't know about LSU star QB Jayden Daniels

• BY PATRICK MAGEE and WILSON ALEXANDER
  •  
    • Dec 6, 2023
    •  
      •  
      •  
        •  2 min to read

LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels is the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy headed into Saturday's ceremony at the Lincoln Center in New York City, but he's far from the flashiest college football player to become a finalist for the award.

As Daniels piled up incredible stats this season for the Tigers, he did it in a calm and collected fashion. 

“He's so stoic. He's so relaxed and low key,” LSU senior running back Josh Williams said of his QB. “I think that's the best attribute to his personality because whenever the game gets tough, that's how he naturally is. Always calm and collected. He never really gets spooked."

If Daniels does hear his name called as the 2023 winner of the Heisman Trophy, that stoic demeanor will be put to a test.

While LSU fans have grown accustomed to his low key personality, here are some things they might not know about the native of San Bernardino, California.

Jayden Daniels sticks to old habits

The quarterback likes a routine. There was a time when he would grab a Subway sandwich, but his plan became more specific at LSU. He now eats an omelet and two waffles the morning before games.

The omelet order: bacon, spinach and onions topped with a little hot sauce. He said the week before LSU’s first game, "I'm still superstitious about what I eat, especially the morning before games."

And why two waffles?

"I don't want to eat one, I don't want to eat three."

Heisman finalist has a track background

Before Daniels started his college football career at Arizona State, the lanky QB was also a key member of the Cajon High School track and field team. While many speedy football players stick to shorter distances and don't try to overextend themselves on the track, Daniels showed his versatility in several track events as a sprinter. On top of the 100 meters, he competed in the 200, 400, 4x100 relay and 4x400 relay.

Jayden Daniels has a specific drink before games

Beginning in high school, Daniels' mom gave him Pedialyte every game day – always strawberry lemonade. His preferred concoction these days is grape Powerade mixed with cherry Pedialyte.

"Drink some of the Powerade, mix it together, shake it up, I'm good for the day," Daniels said this preseason. "It's not for everybody. That's why it's my routine."

Why does Jayden Daniels wear No. 5?

He dons the No. 5 because of former Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb. His other favorite quarterback growing up was Atlanta Falcons legend Michael Vick. Daniels saw himself in the way they played, and he tried to emulate another star quarterback. Daniels' dad showed him videos of San Francisco 49ers great Joe Montana as an example of how to handle himself on the field.

Jayden Daniels has a soft spot for Kobe Bryant

Daniels is from San, Bernardino, California, outside Los Angeles. So while football is his sport of choice, the LSU quarterback singles out Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant as his favorite basketball player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was watching Marshawn Lloyd and not fully focused on Caleb but saw some sick throws in that process.

One of which I mentioned at the time on the draft thread where the center botched the snap, Caleb had to run back like 8 yards to get it, he grabs it, a defender is bearing down on him, and he throws a perfect 30 yard or so pass to an open receiver off of his back foot.  That was one of the better passes I've ever seen. 

Yeah - but I’m not sure you can make a living doing that in the NFL (though I guess Russ Wilson did for a number of years and 1 Super Bowl win). I’d like to see a lot more digs and sail routes being hit on time!

To be fair I don’t know how much of that is Williams or the offense overall. 

• Like 1

Here's Daniel Jeremiah's take on Maye

Height, weight: 6-foot-4, 230 pounds (school measurements).

2022 statistics (14 games played): 342-of-517 (66.2%) for 4,321 yards, 38 TDs and 7 INTs; 184 carries for 698 yards (3.8 average), 7 TDs.

Game tape watched: at Appalachian State (Sept. 3, 2022), vs. Notre Dame (Sept. 24, 2022), at Miami (Oct. 8, 2022).

What I liked: Maye is the definition of a prototype. He has everything you would want in a franchise quarterback. He's big, athletic and instinctive. He can deliver the ball accurately to all three levels of the field and he has the feel/touch to change trajectory and velocity depending on what each throw requires. He has an innate feel to sense pressure, drift away from it and get the ball where it needs to go. When needed, he can really drive and power the ball into small windows.

Maye is also used quite often in the quarterback run game. He's a good decision-maker on zone reads. He is both fast and elusive in space. The soon-to-be 21-year-old will take some unnecessary hits at times, but overall, he protects himself well. His skill set maximizes the playbook. He can function in any style of offense.

Where he needs to improve: Ball security isn't a major concern, but he did force a couple throws in the Miami game, which led to turnovers. Also, he's put the ball on the ground a few times as a ball-carrier. I'm not concerned about the interceptions (he threw just seven last season), but he does need to secure the ball better as a rusher. That is an easy fix. He's very accurate throwing off platform when under pressure, but there are examples where he will unnecessarily fall off throws while operating in a clean pocket. There really wasn't anything alarming to be concerned about after studying his tape.

Biggest takeaway: In a normal year, Maye would clearly be viewed as the top quarterback in the country. USC's Caleb Williams has laid claim to that title, coming off a Heisman Trophy-winning 2022 campaign. However, I fully expect Maye to push Williams for that distinction through the upcoming season. Maye does everything at a very high level, and he possesses more prototypical size than the talented Trojans QB. For teams in need of a new signal-caller, the next QB class has the potential to rival the 2020 group, which produced the likes of Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert and Jalen Hurts.

He reminds me of: There isn't a perfect comparison that comes to mind after studying Maye. The closest comp would probably be former Bengals, Raiders and Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer. Both guys have all the desired traits: size, arm strength, mobility and accuracy. Palmer arrived in the NFL in 2003 with cleaner/crisper footwork, while Maye is a better overall athlete. I had the chance to see a lot of Palmer while working for the Ravens for much of his time with the Bengals. He was exceptionally talented and put together a very impressive 14-year career, earning three trips to the Pro Bowl. Palmer took a big leap in his final year at USC, winning the Heisman Trophy and leading the Trojans to an Orange Bowl victory. I'm excited to see if Maye can make a similar leap this fall.

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-drake-maye-north-carolina-quarterback-similar-to-carson-palmer?campaign=Twitter_atn

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, RWJ said:

It has some legs IF Ian Cunningham is our new GM from the Bears.  We did business with the Bears trading them Sweat, not that really matter but IF Ian becomes our GM there is a door that could allow us to trade with the Bears.  Personally, I don't want to give up massive draft picks to move up 2 spots.  We shall see though.  A lot of things have to fall into place for Willams to be a Commander.  

Bears are moving on from Fields. I can’t see any possible way they trade out of the #1 overall. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

My goodness. I just meant he made a lot of off schedule plays. Just like he does here. That’s his style. That’s all I meant. He was a very productive player at UNC. IMO, he’s very different than Maye style wise. 

Okay. I have looked at a lot of his available tape and in his first two years he was not really that "off schedule" seemed like a well-run, organized, disciplined team. I would agree, based upon the factors I pointed out, his 3rd year, was less than ideal. Maye looks good, but no way is his arm comparable to Howell's. I also don't know how different they are except that Maye might be gutsier and more risk-reward oriented.

I would prefer that we draft Jayden Daniel's if he is available.  Now he can throw, run, and looks dynamic to me. And I love his story. Very resilient guy. 

I really like the Palmer comp. More mobile though. 

I loved Carson Palmer as a kid. He was such a prototypical stud. Loved those Bengals teams too. Shame he got hurt but glad he got a second chance in Arizona.

1 minute ago, skinsmania123 said:

Okay. I have looked at a lot of his available tape and in his first two years he was not really that "off schedule" seemed like a well-run, organized, disciplined team. I would agree, based upon the factors I pointed out, his 3rd year, was less than ideal. Maye looks good, but no way is his arm comparable to Howell's. I also don't know how different they are except that Maye might be gutsier and more risk-reward oriented.

I would prefer that we draft Jayden Daniel's if he is available.  Now he can throw, run, and looks dynamic to me. And I love his story. Very resilient guy. 

All good. 

above all else, I’m intrigued with Daniel’s deep ball accuracy. It’s really pretty. And it’s not just basic throws to wide open players, a lot of them were right in the bucket.

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Bears are moving on from Fields. I can’t see any possible way they trade out of the #1 overall. 

I’m more concerned with a team trading up to 2. I think AZ would prefer to get Harrison to pair with their huge QB investment but who knows. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Sam had a good college career.  And I've defended him plenty on this thread.

Not sure I agree that Maye doesn't have Sam's arm.  Maye has a really strong arm.  To my eyes, maybe even stronger than Sam's but I could entertain that its similar perhaps.

I watched the Colt McCoy evaluation of Drake thanks to @clskinsfan and he was marveling about how Drake so easily threw balls to the far hash -- requires a big arm to do it,

• Like 2