Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Wait…

Heinicke is (reportedly) the reason Howell is starting now? 

That’s… something.

Yeah I love how people are now praising him and degrading Rivera like he caved and let him start due to heini. Oof

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mh86 said:

Yeah I love how people are now praising him and degrading Rivera like he caved and let him start due to heini. Oof

I think people are now just tired of the ****show and having fun with it.

We have a pig mascot named Tuddy. We need wins somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I swear….in just a quick glance down my Facebook feed I will paraphrase the following opinions among others….

“Howell is starting, great now I have a reason to watch the game.”

“I can’t believe they are starting Howell with that o-line, way to get the kid killed Ron!”

”Too late now, should have started him when Wentz went down”

”Ron was pressured by the fans to start Howell, which proves he has lost it”

”Cool, Howell is starting.  Change the name back to Redskins!”

”who cares…Dan is selling the team”

”Heinicke told Ron pack sand, now he has to start Howell”

”Go get ‘em kid, HTTC!”

Our fanbase is all over the place and would drive anybody to drink.  

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

I hope Howell plays well and lights it up, but it doesn't matter if we stick with Howell next year or draft a QB or go Free Agency. If Rivera and company doesn't fix this offensive line we will be far off next year then this year. Cutting Wentz saves us 28M I think. I'm hoping Heinicke stays and resigns as a backup but I think he's going to another team. I want Howell to be the QB of this team and I want us to resign Payne. 

• Like 2

Re: Heinicke not wanting to damage his rep by going up against Dallas lol: 

Unless Heinicke looks absolutely fantastic, no front office in the NFL is suddenly gonna say "Well, damn, I thought that Taylor guy was good. But I guess not." lol...He's had about 25 starts and a ton of film that will EASILY trump whatever happens against the Cowboys outside of just lighting up their starters. Remember, it was studing film on TH that apparently showed the entire league how to stop him and that he was a fraud lol...So the only thing he would lose is an extra $81K if they were to win.

For the record, I'm not buying the Heinicke convinced Rivera to start Howell narrative, but then again I just stumbled upon it on this last page lol...so what do I know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Definitely not. A tiny bonus for 1 game, or a larger contract as a quality backup QB? He's trying to show the FO (and other teams) that he can be the most supportive backup QB out there.

Personally, I’d think doing whatever the coach told you, rather than (essentially) questioning the coach’s decision is a better move (if he’s trying to look good for other teams).  But I hear you.

3 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Not to take ANYTHING away from this selflessness, it also allows him to avoid injury that would prevent ANY contract next year.

Now this I could buy more so, and frankly, he probably played his worst games against Dallas last year…but I think he’s too competitive to hold this mindset.  I believe Heinicke’s just a really good dude.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Unless Heinicke looks absolutely fantastic, no front office in the NFL is suddenly gonna say "Well, damn, I thought that Taylor guy was good. But I guess not." lol...He's had about 25 starts and a ton of film that will EASILY trump whatever happens against the Cowboys outside of just lighting up their starters. Remember, it was studing film on TH that apparently showed the entire league how to stop him and that he was a fraud lol...So the only thing he would lose is an extra $81K if they were to win.

For the record, I'm not buying the Heinicke convinced Rivera to start Howell narrative, but then again I just stumbled upon it on this last page lol...so what do I know.

I think it's more that Heinicke is asking himself why should I play a game that doesn't matter when my head coach benched me and put Wentz in to have a spark when I helped the team to get into playoff contention and caused the spark earlier in the season. With the Browns game our total offense was the worst since the Bears game and in that game Wentz was the starting QB. He's telling himself why risk a series injury when I will be a free agent in the off season and can make more money if team decides to sign me as a backup or bridge QB. Cause if Heinicke plays Sunday for instance and gets seriously hurt that will draw teams away from looking at him as a backup or bridge QB. I believe he will be a backup for some team in the NFL. He has his flaws but he does what backups are supposed to do and win. When other teams studying film to see if they should sign him they will say "his offensive line is garbage". 

Edited by HogsVa7
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HogsVa7 said:

I think it's more that Heinicke is asking himself why should I play a game that doesn't matter when my head coach benched me and put Wentz in to have a spark when I helped the team to get into playoff contention 

And then Taylor derailed the playoff quest, too.

He's telling himself why risk a series injury when I will be a free agent in the off season and can make more money if team decides to sign me as a backup or bridge QB. 

Could be so.

I believe he will be a backup for some team in the NFL. He has his flaws but he does what backups are supposed to do and win. When other teams studying film to see if they should sign him they will say "his offensive line is garbage". 

Dallas owned him last year too when they had the #6 rated offensive line in the league a according to PFF.  If I recall he had 5 fumbles in the last 3 games?  Why risk bumping that up to 7 fumbles or whatever in 4 which would be Daniel Jones (pre 2022 season) level bad. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

The point is that he has nothing to gain and can only lose by playing on Sunday.  Whatever the motive, I don’t think it’s as wholesome as he just wants Howell to have a shot.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

wentz is a srub , this is a bad joke played on the fans , piss poor discission by staff to play wentz , if we had an oline we would not even be talking about this , when Hine had time he did great but max protect can only work so long , I blame the coaching staff!!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The point is that he has nothing to gain and can only lose by playing on Sunday.  Whatever the motive, I don’t think it’s as wholesome as he just wants Howell to have a shot.  

Not sure what the motives are.  But I do think Heinicke is a pretty self aware dude.  I've talked about it all season, how much he worships Dallas' defense and comes off like he's overwhelmed by them.  

So a motivated Dallas playing for the first seed versus a deflated and depleted Washington team in front of a pro Dallas crowd seems like an obvious recipe for disaster.  The whole set up of this game feels like an epic sad conclusion to Dan's departure (hopefully departure).

Heinicke is actually riding off an odd high from the context of Wentz was so bad that its in turn elevated Heincike as a savior with some even though the dude sheparded this team's slide in December for the 2nd year in a row.   Why spoil that narrative that hey maybe Heinicke would have helped win that game by having another bad game against a team who has owned him?

Do I think Heinicke did this intentionally?  I seriously doubt it.  But is it possible that it was a subconscious point floating in his brain if he said hey let Howell play -- maybe so.  I don't think from a malicious standpoint at all.  But I do think Heinicke has more to lose than gain by playing this game.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No, the point is believing his rep might be damaged by playing against the Cowboys--and thus put a dent in his off-season prospects--makes zero sense. I've heard numerous fans say "Heinicke is who he is" in terms of there being no need to play him in the preseason, as well as no need to play him this week. Now, for some reason, that line of thinking has gone out the window, and we're thinking he's making a 'business decision" in terms of how the league views him.

And like I said, I don't for one minute buy that Heinicke convinced Rivera to let Howell start. It seems more likely that Rivera talked with Heinicke and let him know they were changing their minds, and Heinicke just said he understood and threw on something like "Howell deserves a chance to start." Nothing more than that...which I guess means I agree with you, there was no benevolent motive behind Heinicke's words lol (whatever they were)...but I don't agree that he was just looking out for himself.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And then derailed the playoff quest, too.

Could be so.

Dallas owned him last year too when they had the #6 rated offensive line in the league a according to PFF.  If I recall he had 5 fumbles in the last 3 games?  Why risk bumping that up to 7 fumbles or whatever in 4 which would be Daniel Jones (pre 2022 season) level bad. 

I understand what your saying, but their is no point for Heinicke to play this game this week against Dallas in his mind. Wentz played against the the Eagles and took 9 sacks I believe.  Heinicke wins against an undefeated Eagles team and played well but fumbled in that game too. Which imo had no time. The oline needs to be addressed first and foremost.  With Howell playing if he lights it up I'm super pumped going in the off season, but that doesn't mean he's the future but in my mind you have to give him a chance next year. If he flashes Sunday and takes sacks or fumbles depending on the situation cause he has no time I know the problem. 

2 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Reading through this thread, and I see some of you have already gotten your hopes up… Again. Good! You deserve to have your hopes crushed… Again. You ****ing crackheads.

All I want is the feeling I had at the end of 2019, when Haskins looked decent enough to give me some hope. Can Howell just not be Beck 2.0. is that too much to ask?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HogsVa7 said:

I understand what your saying, but their is no point for Heinicke to play this game this week against Dallas in his mind. Wentz played against the the Eagles and took 9 sacks I believe.  Heinicke wins against an undefeated Eagles team and played well but fumbled in that game too. Which imo had no time. The oline needs to be addressed first and foremost.  With Howell playing if he lights it up I'm super pumped going in the off season, but that doesn't mean he's the future but in my mind you have to give him a chance next year. If he flashes Sunday and takes sacks or fumbles depending on the situation cause he has no time I know the problem. 

O line is a problem.  QB is a problem.  Wentz played poorly in a key game with the playoffs at stake.  Heinicke played poorly in key games with the playoffs at stake.  My blame pie includes Heinicke. 

Yeah agree on Howell.  hopefully people give him some rope.  this isn't an easy set up for game one.  I am looking for flashes.  I expect some struggles. 

• Like 4

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

For the record, I don’t blame him at all.  It’s the smart play, why risk injury and/or likely having a bad game going into FA?

No running backs and a weakened defense against a motivated Dallas team in a stadium full of Dallas fans.  

There is nothing he can gain from playing.

That game could be really insane.   It actually makes me think that Dan really sells because it seems so fitting.

A.  Dallas going for the first seed

B.  Washington eliminated

C.  A nostalgia ceremony for a player that Dan was close with

D.  80% Cowboy fans

E.  Am guessing some sell the team chants

It feels like the perfect swan song for the most incompetent and biggest douche owner probably in NFL history.

And that's the backdrop for poor Sam Howell.  I like that he's starting but what a wildly depressing backdrop for a debut game. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That game could be really insane.   It actually makes me think that Dan really sells because it seems so fitting.

A.  Dallas going for the first seed

B.  Washington eliminated

C.  A nostalgia ceremony for a player that Dan was close with

D.  80% Cowboy fans

E.  Am guessing some sell the team chants

It feels like the perfect swan song for the most incompetent and biggest douche owner probably in NFL history.

And that's the backdrop for poor Sam Howell.  I like that he's starting but what a wildly depressing backdrop for a debut game. 

Agreed, made a post with similar points on another thread.  It’s a real tough spot for Sam to get his first start.

• Like 1

Wild to look at the full list.  Again not much average QB on that list, its mostly suck to below average.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Agreed, made a post with similar points on another thread.  It’s a real tough spot for Sam to get his first start.

Yeah i am gathering the idea that the stadium is populated with Cowboy fans will be so over the top level noticeable that it will be a national story.   I bet there are more Commanders fans in a standard game at Dallas than there will be at Fedex on Sunday.  

Maybe 4 feels like 14 may actually have the goods.  That combined with 4 recognizing his value maxes out in Washington, why not advocate for the starter and showcase your self awareness…show the organization you’re committed to being QB2 and helping 14 along…maybe?

Edited by Stone Cold