Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

My question for the folks much smarter than me, is Sam Howell that much worse than TH?? I have heard that he's sitting because of his footwork?? It's frustrating because if average QB play is all we need then why the hell is he not getting a small number of snaps? I understand the coaches are playing for a playoff spot, but they should know that both Taylor and Wentz have hit their max potential 

Howell is incredibly raw. Last reports were that he is struggling with footwork and can't even execute basic dropbacks from under center. He has talent sure, but he was a 5th rounder for a reason. No team in the middle of a playoff push is going to play a 5th round rookie over two QBs that have playoff experience. 

• Like 1

Don't really care for PFT, except for the fact that Florio hates Snyder and anything about the sale is good news, but I saw the below.  There really can't be much of a debate now of Wentz vs Heinicke now given the QB play and them needing to win out to get in

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/26/commanders-will-decide-between-taylor-heinicke-carson-wentz-by-wednesday-morning/

5 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

If Ron is back I expect a Wentz Howell Room next year

Only if Wentz takes a pay cut.  He hasn't been worth 26 million

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

3 O lineman, Y TE, add depth to the defense.

And an average QB,  I think we have a shot at the big dance.  Smaller shopping list than usual IMO this off season.

No TE and 2 OL for me, provided we re-sign Schweitzer.

We have three top notch WRs, Gibson, possibly McKissic, and Robinson isn't terrible in the pass game.  TE can be out last option with Bates Turner and Rogers.

Meanwhile for OL, I think go for a LT and C.  Move Leno to RT, Lucas back to swing tackle. Start Schweitzer at LG, Cosmi at RG. It' s probably time to let go of Chase with two season ending injuries in two years.  But while that's unacceptable for a starting C, I'm willing to give Larsen a break with that happening as our backup C. That would leave Chris Paul as our 8th man up, and the final OL or two could easily be gotten with a street or UDFA, if Charles continues to due nothing

11 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Enough with Mid tier at best answers... 

well, that's all that' going to be available, because despite what this fan base seems to think, greatness is rare and special

9 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

My question for the folks much smarter than me, is Sam Howell that much worse than TH?? I have heard that he's sitting because of his footwork?? It's frustrating because if average QB play is all we need then why the hell is he not getting a small number of snaps? I understand the coaches are playing for a playoff spot, but they should know that both Taylor and Wentz have hit their max potential

I don't have the first dang clue.  I'm an educated man, but I'm afraid I can't speak intelligently about the travel habits of William Santiago (or why they haven't turned to sam Howell yet).

But my amateurish take is I am glad they haven't, bc I dont want to shell shock a young qb with potential, and ruin his career before it even started, like the Texans did with David carr.  Our oline is not to be trusted.

27 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Can I be Marty though? I do feel like I am in my 20's even with these joint pains and all lol

You have to use the word "frankly" in every sentence.      Or are you referring to Hurney?   When I hear the name Marty, I immediately think of Schotty.

Edited by FLSkinz83

4 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Don't really care for PFT, except for the fact that Florio hates Snyder and anything about the sale is good news, but I saw the below.  There really can't be much of a debate now of Wentz vs Heinicke now given the QB play and them needing to win out to get in

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/26/commanders-will-decide-between-taylor-heinicke-carson-wentz-by-wednesday-morning/

More stuff to consider that probably means nothing but hell maybe it does lol:

”One thing to gain would be this — a (Cowboys) loss to the Commanders (assuming they beat the Browns on Sunday) would ensure that Aaron Rodgers wouldn’t get a seat at the postseason table, and that the hot (but not as hot as they were before Saturday) Lions are kept out, too.”

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Howell is incredibly raw. Last reports were that he is struggling with footwork and can't even execute basic dropbacks from under center. He has talent sure, but he was a 5th rounder for a reason. No team in the middle of a playoff push is going to play a 5th round rookie over two QBs that have playoff experience. 

I wouldn't say he is struggle with his footwork but working on improving it to the NFL level. So I found this; Ron said couple of weeks ago.

Commanders Ron Rivera wants Sam Howell to improve in this key area.

“I think he’s getting more and more comfortable,” Rivera said of Howell last week. “There’s some little details to his technique and his footwork that I know [QB coach] Kenny [Zampese]’s really harping on. In college, you can get away with those things, and he did, and he did a really great job, but there are some things that in this league you have to be really good at.”

“Great example, a couple of times in the preseason when he got sacked or got hit, it was understanding that you’re in shotgun; we considered this a five-step drop. Well, it’s not catch the ball, shuffle your feet and throw it,” Rivera added.

“It’s you may have to take a step and a half to make it a five-step drop and that helps aid in the timing, helps aid in the protection, because if you’re only at three and a half, four yards, that guard or that tackles expecting you to be at five or six and you’re not, that’s tough on him. So those are little things that he has to understand what certain plays call for in terms of the depth of your drop and how important that is to your protection.”

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Yeah it was said a lot after the last two seasons…Going 5-1 with “one-legged 46-year-old Alex Smith” as starter in 2020 then going 7-8 with “noodle-armed midget Heinicke” as starter in 2021 had a bunch of fans and even media members making comments about how far the team could go with just average QB play. But to your point the offensive weapons have been massively stocked up so those comments are more appropriate now.

I didn't feel that way when they acquired Alex.  I criticized the trade for that exact reason -- decent Qb play with the roster we had I didn't think would take us to the promised land.  Defense wasn't good enough.  Weapons not good enough.

After the 2020 season, I thought the defense was really good so did many others, we were wrong.  I wasn't clamoring for Alex to come back.  I wanted to be aggressive and trade for Stafford.  When the options were nill ultimately I was good with Fitzpatrick.

Coming into the 2021 season,  I wanted to trade up to draft Fields but I had limits for how much I'd give up.  I wanted to trade for Carr or R. Wilson.  Wilson I was dead wrong about it.  But my point was I had an aggressive shoot for the fences mindset.  I didn't love the compensation they gave for Wentz and criticized that but I was OK with the trade for Wentz from a boom-bust standpoint because of his upside.   

And just in general I want a FO that keeps swinging.  Hopefully they ignore fan sentiment where they kill them for every swing and miss because I want them to be fearless and I don't want them to double down on their mistakes.  Swing.  Miss. Swing again.  In other words, swiniging and missing to me on Wentz wouldn't be unforgivable to me.  What would be unforgivable is doubling down on it in the off season and bringing it back if he performs now like he did early this season.  I expect misses at QB, every team misses, but increase the odds by keep on swinging.

But as for clamoring for average QB play.  I typically don't.  It's not that I prefer average to above average clearly. But bringing this back to my feelings about the Alex Smith trade, I would have endorsed it and said so at the time if I thought very highly of the roster then. Something like that I'd endorse now since I've not been this high on the roster since Gibbs 2.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Who or what is the definition of average QB play?   

To me, it's a quarterback that won't win you games but also won't be the reason you lose.  Dilfer in Baltimore for their 2000 season, but that's off the top of my head and I don't really remember if he were BAD.

Jason Campbell?  McNabb?  Cousins would be a godsend here, I'm talking a notch below him.

• Like 1

I would say that is pretty staggering how the quality of the veteran QB market seems to have fallen off the edge of a cliff since last offseason. I can’t see that many viable options at present that bring a tangible/significant upgrade, especially if you factor in the probable cost.

• Like 1