Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Dude hasn’t played in months, and is immediately inserted into must win games because the guy who took his job hasn’t won in a month.  Dallas is clearly on a higher tier than this team, winning against them is a feat with any QB on our roster.  It’s not a good matchup for us.

If anything, perhaps Ron should have made a switch sooner so we didn’t have to win two to get in.

If we made the switch sooner, we most likely would've been in the same spot we're in now.  There's no guarantee that our 0-2-1 record the last month would be different with Wentz.  I agree with the switch to Wentz, since we need a spark to generate offense, but lets pump the brakes on thinking Wentz would've definitely won us the Giants or 49ers games as a starter.  It's clear as day that we don't have a viable NFL QB on the roster, and that we have to start over AGAIN after this season.  Heinecke has been really bad the last month, so I have no issue whatsoever playing Wentz, to try to score some points, but let's be real with ourselves for a second. Wentz could just as easily crap the bed against the Browns & Cowboys, which would be ironic considering we need to win our last two games to get into the playoffs, just like the Colts needed to win their last two games last year to get into the playoffs.  Maybe history repeats itself again.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think we win at least one of the Giants games with Wentz. 

How?  Our O-Line has been awful the last few games, and you saw what Wentz looked like with that exact same line.  He probably gets sacked MORE than Heinecke, now that he's behind center again.  The ONLY positive with Wentz being under center, is that he can give this offense a boost in the arm if he has time to throw downfield.  Our vertical passing game becomes a threat again.  BUT, Wentz still sucks when it comes to recognizing pressure, taking unnecessary sacks, forcing throws down the field that become INT's and he doesn't throw to the checkdown when it's right there.  He still has the same crappy mechanics, and is prone to throwing off his back foot, which is not a recipe for success in becoming a successful QB.  Unless he's unlearned all of those traits since Week 6, I'm not sure why you would expect the result to be any different this time around.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think we win at least one of the Giants games with Wentz. 

I think we lose both Giants games with Wentz.  The offensive line protecting a statue against the highest percentage blitzing defense in the league?  Not good.

9 minutes ago, method man said:

I think we win at least one of the Giants games if Scott Turner tries to use the same gameplan he used in SF vs the Giants

Yeah, I understand trying to copy what the eagles did to them to some degree....but deciding to convert the offense to read option heavy was a disaster....even by Turner's standards. Looked a lot better after they threw that 'gameplan' in the trash at halftime.

Some of the blame lies on Heinicke, but it's wild to me that he wouldn't realize how bad of an idea it was, given how long he's had to realize heine's limitations.

I would think a lot more highly of Rivera if he'd kept O'Connell. I can't wait until the whole crew is gone, now.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Dude hasn’t played in months, and is immediately inserted into must win games because the guy who took his job hasn’t won in a month.  Dallas is clearly on a higher tier than this team, winning against them is a feat with any QB on our roster.  It’s not a good matchup for us.

If anything, perhaps Ron should have made a switch sooner so we didn’t have to win two to get in.

I was talking to a friend of mine last night who's a steelers fan so he's unbiased and he hit the nail on the head.

He said heinickes floor is higher than wentz's but wentz's ceiling is so much higher than heinicke's that it's a no brainer because they aren't going anywhere with either one of them anywhere near their floor.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I was talking to a friend of mine last night who's a steelers fan so he's unbiased and he hit the nail on the head.

He said heinickes floor is higher than wentz's but wentz's ceiling is so much higher than heinicke's that it's a no brainer because they aren't going anywhere with either one of them anywhere near there floor.

This is where my head’s been at - Wentz offers that spark (due to a higher ceiling).  It’s possible it backfires - particularly if it leads to more sacks and/or more 3 and outs (meaning less rest for Allen/Payne), but I think it’s well worth that risk.

If Turner bears in mind our poor pass pro and that our run game is a strength when he calls plays, I like our chances.  Of course, Wentz has to also realize that with this D, it’s okay to take Ls at times, and he can’t hold the ball.  My guess/hope is that his time watching games/film with Heinicke under center, combined with the added time to get comfortable with the offense, puts him in a better spot to succeed.

Now contrary to what seems to be the prevailing opinion on Heinicke’s play, I don’t think he’s really played worse recently, but rather the opponents pass rush forced turnovers, the team seemed to play a little sloppier, the defense gave up a couple/few uncharacteristic drives/scores, and the refs were terrible on that goal to go against the Giants.  That’s not to say Heinicke is anything near blameless - just that I feel he was mostly his usual - sustained a fair number of drives, struggled badly in the red zone, had some nice/surprising td drives and magic moments sprinkled in.  The additional negative plays just made it harder to eek out close wins.

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

Taylor has a pretty horrific floor too. I dont think its higher than Carsons. We just havent seen Taylors floor due to the luck factor. If he has that bad luck day hes surely capable of a 5 turnovers in an outing 

Throw the hive a bone, would ya please!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

With the right quarterback, we may field a 12 win squad next year.

Can't I just feel the disappointment we usually get for a couple more weeks, before the heartbreaking optimism creeps back in.  :ols:

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Throw the hive a bone, would ya please!

There's a couple posters would have been trying hard enough to do that all year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Taylor has a pretty horrific floor too. I dont think its higher than Carsons. We just havent seen Taylors floor due to the luck factor. If he has that bad luck day hes surely capable of a 5 turnovers in an outing 

It’s possible, but has he ever turned the ball over more than twice in his 27ish games for us?  

17 hours ago, MrJL said:

NBC4 had a poll on who should be the starter.  Wentz had 19%, Heinicke 70%, Howell 11%

Not that I care but judging by other polls and talk radio, that one seems like a wild outlier, you sure if was done AFTER the SF game?

Finlay right now has been taking phone calls for an hour and is saying on air, they haven't yet got a single call for Heinicke, all calling for Wentz.

Another

Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 11.32.15 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Honestly, I have nothing personal against Heinicke however I really hope he’s not on the roster next season. I’m sick of the circular debate on him, he’s served his purpose here. We need to get better at QB and he isn’t going to bring that to the table. Time to move on.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Ditto if he threw the ball a lot like the typical QB versus at a minimum pretty much almost every game. 

He had two turnovers in 18 attempts against SF.  He typically is somewhere in the 20s as far as attempts.  

With Wentz 41, 46, 43, 42, 38.  It trailed off in the last 2 games one of which he played with a broken finger.

I am not a Wentz guy either.   But the game plan for Wentz was much more pass heavy than Taylor.  If Taylor was throwing 40 plus times a game on a regular basis, he'd IMO have a 5 turnover game in the mix.  ditto his sack numbers would go up

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Honestly, I have nothing personal against Heinicke however I really hope he’s not on the roster next season. I’m sick of the circular debate on him, he’s served his purpose here. We need to get better at QB and he isn’t going to bring that to the table. Time to move on.

Im with you and I dont think he is on the roster regardless next year. Im sure Ron is tired of him for many reasons. Fan base calling for him, severely limits playbook, Howell should be capable of being a backup, etc...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

If we made the switch sooner, we most likely would've been in the same spot we're in now.  There's no guarantee that our 0-2-1 record the last month would be different with Wentz.  I agree with the switch to Wentz, since we need a spark to generate offense, but lets pump the brakes on thinking Wentz would've definitely won us the Giants or 49ers games as a starter.  It's clear as day that we don't have a viable NFL QB on the roster, and that we have to start over AGAIN after this season.  Heinecke has been really bad the last month, so I have no issue whatsoever playing Wentz, to try to score some points, but let's be real with ourselves for a second. Wentz could just as easily crap the bed against the Browns & Cowboys, which would be ironic considering we need to win our last two games to get into the playoffs, just like the Colts needed to win their last two games last year to get into the playoffs.  Maybe history repeats itself again.

I never said we were guaranteed to win anything with Wentz.  But how much worse could he have been?  We’d lose by more?

Heinicke has been dreadful win lose or tie. 

7 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Im with you and I dont think he is on the roster regardless next year. Im sure Ron is tired of him for many reasons. Fan base calling for him, severely limits playbook, Howell should be capable of being a backup, etc...

Yeah he's kind of the Reed doughty of the quarterback position. 

• Haha 1