Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I didn't watch the interview but didn't Alex have some not-so-great comments about Ron and staff when he was released? Perhaps that is coloring his thoughts on what Ron said about Carson (or maybe it was really that bad, I haven't watched it yet).

6 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

What really irks me about Rivera's comment about Wentz, is when I compare it to what is happening in the Ram's organization with their injury ridden O line, leading them to settle for second and third string players. Stafford's results are fairly equivalent.  Sean McVay is very open about Matt Stafford's struggles being the O line. Saying openly, they need to help him. Stafford has been sacked 21 times already and has only scored only 1 TD in the last 9 quarters.  And he has thrown 7 INT's and 5 TD's, with a QBR of 47.8.  Now, one thing I would concede is, maybe McVay is being generous with Stafford because they just came off a SB winning season? I don't know. He might have done exactly what Rivera did with Wentz in his press conference if they did not win it all last year.  But the fact is, Wentz had a decent O line last year in Indy and only threw 7 INT's all season. I just think Rivera is being perceptually narrow, and not considering all of the reasons for Wentz's struggles.  Some of it is definitely on him, but not all of it.  

So, while I agree with Alex Smith a bit regarding his take on Rivera, I think Alex may still be a little bitter about being let go by Rivera.

I am most shocked by someone who had not followed CW and remember him as an Eagle is how immobile he has become. I remember not being able to get him to the ground, he scared me to death because our D would have him dead to right and he would escape. Now he cant out run a 300 D-linemen to the edge.

Which brings it back to your post about Rons comment, did he not watch tape of CW. He does not have the same skill set he had that MVP caliber year. He has a statue now, a big statue. He needs a line in front of him. It really goes back to this looking like a panic move, a swing for the fences, that at 1-4 quickly isnt working out. Just cant double down on this and give the Colts a 2nd.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I was hoping it would, but was also fully aware that the chances were MUCH greater that it would be bad here as well. 

I was stupid enough to predict an 11-6 season for the season predictions my dad and I do in May, but that’s just cause i can’t help but be optimistic (really, cautiously optimistic) in May 🤷🏻‍♂️ So sue me :)  

Stay positive, it’ll keep you young. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You don't throw players under the bus publicly. Period. 

Ron should be fired.

I see your point but I remember Bruce Arians calling out Tom Brady in front of the media and I was surprised he had the guts to do that, especially to Brady. I think they went on to win the SB that year....it had to do with Brady missing open receivers early in the season. I think Brady agreed with him and they moved on. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I didn't watch the interview but didn't Alex have some not-so-great comments about Ron and staff when he was released? Perhaps that is coloring his thoughts on what Ron said about Carson (or maybe it was really that bad, I haven't watched it yet).

Smith has a bone to pick. Dude was actually mad the regime didn’t want to move forward with him after he basically had 1 leg and couldn’t move at all. It was over and he wasn’t accepting it then and still seems mad.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I was in the car when I heard this so going from memory here. Ron said Wentz has to work with what he has. Like a new job and the people are already there. Other teams built around their QBs. This is why Cooper Rush was able to come in and be successful. Ron is going to try to build around Wentz so he can be successful.

"We've got a guy that we think we have a chance to build around," Rivera said. "We have a guy that is really growing in what we're doing. I thought yesterday was a good indicator of his potential for us in this, and we'll continue to work with it."

Does this sound like Wentz will be here next year too? Ron was so back and forth on his QB thing I am not sure if this was to just save face. 

Edited by zCommander

26 minutes ago, Indi1988 said:

Smith has a bone to pick. Dude was actually mad the regime didn’t want to move forward with him after he basically had 1 leg and couldn’t move at all. It was over and he wasn’t accepting it then and still seems mad.

Yeah he basically was pissed that they were so cautious with him, even after almost losing the leg to sepsis infection. At the time I posted that I didn't think Smith was too bright. That's part of it, and maybe part of it is the typical macho optimism most jocks have which clouds their judgement.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I was in the car when I heard this so going from memory here. Ron said Wentz has to work with what he has. Like a new job and the people are already there. Other teams built around their QBs. This is why Cooper Rush was able to come in and be successful. Ron is going to try to build around Wentz so he can be successful.

"We've got a guy that we think we have a chance to build around," Rivera said. "We have a guy that is really growing in what we're doing. I thought yesterday was a good indicator of his potential for us in this, and we'll continue to work with it."

Does this sound like Wentz will be here next year too? Ron was so back and forth on his QB thing I am not sure if this was to just save face. 

I listened to the whole thing.  He was zigging and zagging on the QB issue.  but it came off some like a Freudian slip when he started with QB is the difference between them and the rest of the division.  Then the press led him to a more politic answer on the subject so he then talked about how these teams build around the QB. 

Not sure what Rivera thinks based on that press conference but at a minimum it gave me a window that maybe Ron isn't sold on Wentz.  It's at least possible to me based on how he responded. 

• Thumb up 1

Give Wentz Dallas's O-line and Cooper Rush Washington's O-line and lets see how things pan out for each QB. Come on. If Rivera's going to make that kind of comparison then at least give us a QB excelling while playing behind a mediocre O-line.

As far as being sold on Wentz or not.....he is the GM and responsible for bringing in players, no?  He seemed sold enough on him to trade away draft picks, or are we going to find out six months from now that Rivera was forced to make this trade?

Patience wearing thin.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

Yeah Alex wasn't crazy about Ron because in his mind he didn't believe in him enough as a starter as he was coming back from his injury

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

Things could get awkward if coach Ron Rivera is committed to Wentz, but the team isn't committed to Rivera, and needs to protect its future draft capital - a hypothetical, to be sure.

No decision is needed in the next month.

If Washington continues to play at a similar pace for the rest of the season, Wentz would need to be benched sometime during the Week 11 game against the Falcons, on Nov. 27, to avoid triggering the second-round pick.

That's six weeks away, but as Rivera plots his strategy for the next stretch of the season, it's something he'll have to consider.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to the whole thing.  He was zigging and zagging on the QB issue.  but it came off some like a Freudian slip when he started with QB is the difference between them and the rest of the division.  Then the press led him to a more politic answer on the subject so he then talked about how these teams build around the QB. 

Not sure what Rivera thinks based on that press conference but at a minimum it gave me a window that maybe Ron isn't sold on Wentz.  It's at least possible to me based on how he responded. 

It gave me the impression that Ron is gong to stick with Wentz for rest of the season and then build around him next year. He does have him for the two following years on a QB friendly deal. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Disagree.  But to play along, he'd be the first coach to resign here -- can't think of another coach who has resigned elsewhere in a long time. Would you resign in his shoes?

Hell no! I'd do exactly what he's been doing. Hire my buddies, have fun with them while taking them sweet Snyder checks.

6 hours ago, TChaler70 said:

I am not here to troll, just a fan. (edit quote)

Just a fan. You joined this site in Nov. 2021. It's not just the timing, you say on your member page that you've been a fan of this team for a year. And you noted your favorite player was Taylor Heinie. So....🙂

I think this fuller disclosure for readers is worthwhile given some of the recurring themes in this long thread, i.e. the ongoing Taylor H. stuff.

@skinny21

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zCommander said:

It gave me the impression that Ron is gong to stick with Wentz for rest of the season and then build around him next year. He does have him for the two following years on a QB friendly deal. 

Well if you're right, Wentz may outlast Ron in DC. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Washington continues to play at a similar pace for the rest of the season, Wentz would need to be benched sometime during the Week 11 game against the Falcons, on Nov. 27, to avoid triggering the second-round pick.

That's six weeks away, but as Rivera plots his strategy for the next stretch of the season, it's something he'll have to consider.

Well if there is something we can absolutely count on its Rivera's time management.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, zCommander said:

It could be that.  My impression is that I now don't have an overriding impression about what Rivera thinks, his comments could be taken in multiple ways.

At a minimum its open to me that if Rivera isn't happy with how Wentz plays in future games, its in play that he's not back.

People complain about the coach centric mode.  I get some of the complaints but some don't make sense to me ala that Ron imposed his own draconian budget on himself -- if so that completely flies against the face of a coach centric model.

But one thing that to me does play into the downside of a coach centric model, is Ron would be motivated to save face on personnel decisions since he has final say. If it were a GM he can imply that the GM screwed up if it goes awry.  But in this case he's the GM, so my point is he might double down on Wentz and live and die by that sword becuase as a GM-coach he's much more vested in the player than the typical coach would be. 

• Like 2

I think one of the issues with Rivera's pressers is that he very much is going for the "coach speak" short answer style when things are going bad, but the answers he gives, even short, aren't very well thought out, so as where when Bill Belichick did it, it left the media with nothing to follow up about and just sort of moved on to the next thing, but when Ron tries this, he says something it sets off alarm bells at what he could be suggesting.  It also doesn't hurt that the Patriots were always winning and the Commanders are always losing. 

11 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Well if you're right, Wentz may outlast Ron in DC. 

At this point I sure hope not. But if wentz does some kind of hard to imagine revitalization of his past best self I'll certainly accept it happily enough (if it lasts).

And let's get things straight, kingdaddy. 

This is the second time you've ignored a mod directive from me where I called upon you to support something you claimed that I found to be false.

Imo, you're a fairly decent football poster, content wise, when not doing your th fanboy gig ( and I use that term for you with complete comfort) so I let the last time go.

But if you make the same kind of comments that prompted me to call you out both times again, I will apply a rule 18 violation and you will certainly have earned it. So don't do it, please. Thanks in advance. 🙂

Wentz is garbage. Sorry but he is. Good qbs make bad lines look good. Good qbs make bad receivers look great.

our receivers are a strong point in my opinion, and wentz looks like a deer in headlights back there. He’s constantly looking like he’s bracing for a hit instead of stepping into a throw, holds the ball too long, and scared to give his guys a chance. Put Howell in, and let’s see how he does so we know if we need to draft a qb or not next year. And can we please please stop getting these mediocre veteran qbs like smith, wentz, Keemun, etc? It’s just so deflating

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Things could get awkward if coach Ron Rivera is committed to Wentz, but the team isn't committed to Rivera, and needs to protect its future draft capital - a hypothetical, to be sure.

This seems like fuzzy math to me.  isn't 11 out of 17 about 65%?