Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

14 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Next 4 games for Pittsburgh: @ Bills, Bucs, @ Miami, @ Philly

- They're throwing their prized 1st round pick, Pickett, to the wolves and we're worried about playing Howell? This is football...if he can show that he can read defenses pre-snap then put the kid in and run the football ad nauseum. Feed BRob and live on the ground while picking play action spots to throw. It can work. If Heinicke can jump into a playoff game against Brady and the Bucs then Howell should be just fine with a controlled playbook. He may even surprise many people like he did in his first preseason game. 

Just because Pittsburgh are doing it doesn't mean its going to work, that could be a huge mistake. Of course you are correct in that it could work with Howell, I'd like to say I'd trust Ron to put him in if he was actually ready and the best man for the job, but I don't.

Personally I'd urge caution with Howell, he's shown real promise and you want to harbour that promise into something more substantial, sending him out behind that O Line the way it currently is, is a death sentence. We need to be working Free Agents shoring up the line and I wouldn't consider playing him until at least 20 Nov against the Texans. Providing Wentz continues as he's going, as long as he goes to one of Heinicke or Howell to save that Second Round Pick I couldn't care less

Edited by BrentMeisterGeneral
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Just because Pittsburgh are doing it doesn't mean its going to work, that could be a huge mistake. Of course you are correct in that it could work with Howell, I'd like to say I'd trust Ron to put him in if he was actually ready and the best man for the job, but I don't.

Personally I'd urge caution with Howell, he's shown real promise and you want to harbour that promise into something more substantial, sending him out behind that O Line the way it currently is, is a death sentence. We need to be working Free Agents shoring up the line and I wouldn't consider playing him until at least 20 Nov against the Texans. Providing Wentz continues as he's going, as long as he goes to one of Heinicke or Howell to save that Second Round Pick I couldn't care less

Good morning from across the pond...

It's true that we have no idea what Howell is showing (or not showing) on the practice field and in the meeting rooms. That's why I'd plan to play him the final four games after the bye and communicating that by week 11 if the wheels are off the season so he can mentally get himself ready. 

But if Wentz shows this year that he's not the answer, we have to get some early reads on Howell in live fire before entering the offseason.

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

Good morning from across the pond...

It's true that we have no idea what Howell is showing (or not showing) on the practice field and in the meeting rooms. That's why I'd plan to play him the final four games after the bye and communicating that by week 11 if the wheels are off the season so he can mentally get himself ready. 

But if Wentz shows this year that he's not the answer, we have to get some early reads on Howell in live fire before entering the offseason.

Good Morning, I'm also across the pond from where Washington are so we may be closer than you think 😅

100%, Im certainly coming round to the idea of seeing what he's got, but there's a few things at play:

1. I wouldn't want to hinge any potential albeit unlikely play off pushes on Howell succeeding, for me he'd have to come in once we know the season is gone

2. We need to protect ourselves from giving that second to Indi, so whether its Heinicke initially I don't mind (all subject to Carson continuing on the path he's heading down)

3. Give Howell the best opportunity to succeed, that means patching up the O Line and as I said previously I feel a game against the Texans could be a good way of easing him in

The overall risk is we trick ourselves into thinking he is the answer Ala Drew Lock and then don't draft a stud if we're left picking high up

I remember Johnny Oates going to the mound taking the ball from the pitcher. He said, if you won't throw strikes, I'll get someone that will. The next day they demoted 3 guys and brought up 3 more.

This is where Ron should be on the OL. They need to be replaced! I would be scouting every team's practice squads for OL help.

Edited by Riggodrill44
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Rivera referencing their 4 game win streak last season where they ran the ball well doesn't really fit with the "we've massively upgraded at quarterback and now Turner can fully open up the playbook" narrative.

I kind of agree with you however a strong running game would presumablly open up the play action passing game which everyone agrees was (up until this season) one of Wentz's strengths. 

The big question at this point is whether or not Wentz has completely lost confidence  to such a degree that even if play action gives him more time will he remain skittish and rush the throw or throw it inaccurately.

Who knows  --shrug--

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

18 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I remember Johnny Oates going to the mound taking the ball from the pitcher. He said, if you won't throw strikes, I'll get someone that will. The next day they demoted 3 guys and brought up 3 more.

This is where Ron should be on the OL. They need to be replaced! I would be scouting every team's practice squads for OL help.

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-2022-nfl-free-agents-list/

A peep at the Free agents available, now they are Free Agents for a reason but Washington should at least be exploring some of these its kind of ridiculous they think they can pull some bum off a couch and get by. Call in some actually experienced backup and see what they've got left

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-2022-nfl-free-agents-list/

A peep at the Free agents available, now they are Free Agents for a reason but Washington should at least be exploring some of these its kind of ridiculous they think they can pull some bum off a couch and get by. Call in some actually experienced backup and see what they've got left

I see some former Panthers on that list...so, there's at least a chance. 

Bates is a real factor in the run game. As a fan who mostly watches the ball he managed to pop off the screen in regards to run blocking. I know a few on here have pointed this out for a while.

I believe Washington is headed towards a smash mouth brand of football and Bates will be a factor. Curious to see where his snap count ends up being over next few weeks. He was up to 30 last week. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shemp nixon said:

I think it's time for Cole Turner to see the field. Wentz is looking spooked, 85 can make plays... 

Kind of wonder what's been the holdup there. I thought he'd see the field by now considering the way he was talked about. 

I think he'd definitely help Wentz, who really just looks lost post-Reich.

Edited by Professor_Nutter_Butter

It's interesting that Mills is third on this list.  Kyle Allen is his backup.  Always thought he looked the best of the QBs under Rivera and thought it was odd that he wasn't even in the conversation for starter when they brought Fitzpatrick in.  I still think Mayfield is going to be the first one to be benched.  

53 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Kind of wonder what's been the holdup there. I thought he'd see the field by now considering the way he was talked about. 

I think he'd definitely help Wentz, who really just looks lost post-Reich.

I speculate team is leaning towards going extremely run heavy in an attempt to turn the season around. He doesn’t profile as a positive in that formula. Maybe when playoffs are out of the picture?

Rons going to do all he can to get Wentz to a 2.5 to 1 INt ratio and near .500. This somehow justifying the move in his eyes. Everyone continues to ride the gravy train and get paid that way. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't even understand what Bates is doing there, it's like he ignores the rusher right in front of him to go help Logan Thomas block someone.  What exactly is he expecting to happen by letting someone just run by him freely?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I don't even understand what Bates is doing there, it's like he ignores the rusher right in front of him to go help Logan Thomas block someone.  What exactly is he expecting to happen by letting someone just run by him freely?

Looks to me like he’s expecting the LT to pick up that rusher.  Considering Thomas had a backer in front of him as well, I’d guess Bates made the right call and Cosmi played it wrong, but I don’t know.

• Like 1

A great segment here about how teams this year finding the most success creating explosive plays (especially on early downs) in the pass AND run game are doing it by following the Shanahan rule of presenting run and pass plays as similarly as possible for as long as possible, both by keeping the QB under center and by having the OL present run for as long as possible—to prolong the DL’s decision to commit  and penetrate and give the QB more time when it is a pass:

Teams all around the league this year are making this adjustment so we’ll see if Turner does as well…especially with Robinson back, who also looks smooth catching the ball. But the idea is that you don’t have to necessarily be run heavy to use PA effectively or pass from under center effectively—and you don’t necessarily have to go shotgun and spread the defense out to be effective in the passing game either. You can disguise what you’re doing and have pass and run calls work in sync to keep the defense from pinning its ears back immediately once the ball is snapped. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

41 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I want our next QB to be Hayes McElroy.

edit: Don’t bother googling that name. She’s a 1st grader at the school where I teach. I want her to get crushed and mauled. Playing behind our OL should do the trick.

Me before seeing your edit: 

searching google that GIF by Great Big Story

also what did sweet, innocent Hayes McElroy do to you :P 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

55 minutes ago, Conn said:

A great segment here about how teams this year finding the most success creating explosive plays (especially on early downs) in the pass AND run game are doing it by following the Shanahan rule of presenting run and pass plays as similarly as possible for as long as possible, both by keeping the QB under center and by having the OL present run for as long as possible—to prolong the DL’s decision to commit  and penetrate and give the QB more time when it is a pass:

Teams all around the league this year are making this adjustment so we’ll see if Turner does as well…especially with Robinson back, who also looks smooth catching the ball. But the idea is that you don’t have to necessarily be run heavy to use PA effectively or pass from under center effectively—and you don’t necessarily have to go shotgun and spread the defense out to be effective in the passing game either. You can disguise what you’re doing and have pass and run calls work in sync to keep the defense from pinning its ears back immediately once the ball is snapped. 

Here's another good stat to support what they are saying...

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/10/3/23385369/nfl-offensive-decline-superstar-quarterbacks-run-game

image.png.feb8215b5e85de38228ec05971306ef9.png

• Thanks 2