Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Russell Wilson would be such an upgrade that I think a lot of fans can't even conceive of having a QB that good. That's honestly where a lot of the the "he's falling off / I don't want to overpay" criticism comes from... I think as Washington fans, the idea of great/elite QB play is so alien to us, we can't even properly comprehend what it would be like to have someone of Wilson's caliber and therefore undervalue the willingness to pay.

If you get someone like Russell Wilson at 33 years old, you will not miss the three 1st round picks. I promise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Looked for comparisons to Kenny Pickett.  All I could find is Joe Burrow.  They are friends and Joe Burrow was busted on for having 9-inch hands.  Burrows playing for the NFL championship.  :)   Take this with a grain of salt but worth posting, I think.  

I mentioned before he reminds me in some ways of Jimmy G but with more mobility.  A mock draft guy who was on 106.7 this morning who was in the Senior Bowl ironically made the same comparison.  IMO Pickett hits me as a mix of Jimmy G and Tannehill. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I mentioned before he reminds me in some ways of Jimmy G but with more mobility.  A mock draft guy who was on 106.7 this morning who was in the Senior Bowl ironically made the same comparison.  IMO Pickett hits me as a mix of Jimmy G and Tannehill. 

I was going to say a poor man's Mahomes.  That's just me when I watch him move around, throwing the ball sideways sometimes.  He has extremely good mobility and can zip the sideline passes along with intermediate ones.  He has good enough arm strength to make all the throws but think he fits Turner's scheme best of all the QBs.  Again, that's just me. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He reminds me nothing of Joe Burrow. Mobile Jimmy seems right.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I was going to say a poor man's Mahomes.  That's just me when I watch him move around, throwing the ball sideways sometimes.  He has extremely good mobility and can zip the sideline passes along with intermediate ones.  He has good enough arm strength to make all the throws but think he fits Turner's scheme best of all the QBs.  Again, that's just me. 

To each their own, to me he's not even a little a poor man's Mahomes.  His strength IMO is throwing on the move, rolling pockets, he reminds me a lot of Tannehill on that count.  But throwing from weird arm angles ala Mahomes, don't recall much of that from Pickett. 

The off platform guy, no look throws, in this draft IMO ala a poor man's Mahomes is Matt Corral. 

KENNY PICKETT, PITTSBURGH PANTHERS

PFF Big Board Rank: 34

Pickett was the talk of the town Monday, as he was the lone quarterback to not get his hands measured. The Pittsburgh product is known for having incredibly small hands relative to his counterparts — so much so that he wears two gloves. Pickett said he wasn't measured because of being double-jointed, but that hasn’t quelled the concerns about his rumored 8.25-inch hands and how they might hold up in bad weather.

Pickett hardly saw rain in a game this past season, but he earned a 37.2 passing grade when there was some type of precipitation in his college career. No NFL quarterback with sub-nine-inch hands has started a game in the past decade.

On the second day of practice, both teams dealt with consistent rain at South Alabama’s stadium. And Pickett was unable to ease the concerns. He fumbled a snap and threw multiple uncatchable balls. Throughout the rest of the other practices, Pickett produced minimal big-time throws. He never had that “wow” moment that many were expecting. Overall, it was a disappointing week for the Pittsburgh product.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-reeses-senior-bowl-quarterback-review-malik-willis-desmond-ridder

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Pickett doesn't have anything even in the same universe as Mahomes as far as talent. And he's not nearly on the same level of accuracy as Joe Burrow.

He's a broke and homeless man's Mahomes and a bankrupt man's Burrow. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Nobody knew Marino was going to turn into Marino.  Every team (except us) passed on him.  

Complaining about getting Darrell Green and not Marino is like saying you got stuck with Pamela Anderson over Marilyn Monroe. Both are hall of famers but Marino has no rings. None. Imagine that. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Complaining about getting Darrell Green and not Marino is like saying you got stuck with Pamela Anderson over Marilyn Monroe. Both are hall of famers but Marino has no rings. None. Imagine that. 

I love me some Darrell Green, but I have to imagine we probably would have won a couple more SBs with the kind of teams we put together through the 80s and early to mid 90 if we also had Marino through that whole time period. We still won a couple with top notch teams and journeyman QBs...imagine if we'd had a HoF QB during that time. We would have gone from a team that won a couple one-off SBs to a dynasty.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To each their own, to me he's not even a little a poor man's Mahomes.  His strength IMO is throwing on the move, rolling pockets, he reminds me a lot of Tannehill on that count.  But throwing from weird arm angles ala Mahomes, don't recall much of that from Pickett. 

The off platform guy, no look throws, in this draft IMO ala a poor man's Mahomes is Matt Corral. 

KENNY PICKETT, PITTSBURGH PANTHERS

PFF Big Board Rank: 34

Pickett was the talk of the town Monday, as he was the lone quarterback to not get his hands measured. The Pittsburgh product is known for having incredibly small hands relative to his counterparts — so much so that he wears two gloves. Pickett said he wasn't measured because of being double-jointed, but that hasn’t quelled the concerns about his rumored 8.25-inch hands and how they might hold up in bad weather.

Pickett hardly saw rain in a game this past season, but he earned a 37.2 passing grade when there was some type of precipitation in his college career. No NFL quarterback with sub-nine-inch hands has started a game in the past decade.

On the second day of practice, both teams dealt with consistent rain at South Alabama’s stadium. And Pickett was unable to ease the concerns. He fumbled a snap and threw multiple uncatchable balls. Throughout the rest of the other practices, Pickett produced minimal big-time throws. He never had that “wow” moment that many were expecting. Overall, it was a disappointing week for the Pittsburgh product.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-reeses-senior-bowl-quarterback-review-malik-willis-desmond-ridder

Anyone else getting the feeling this guys gonna drop well into the 2nd round because of these concerns?

Yup...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10018748-nfl-draft-2022-rumors-gms-execs-could-see-4-or-5-qbs-being-selected-in-1st-round

While the 2022 NFL draft class is widely seen as being a down year at quarterback, league executives believe at least three and as many as five signal-callers could go in Round 1.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport spoke to 10 executives, all of whom view three as the bare-minimum number.

"I don't know that all of them are truly worthy of getting picked in Round 1, but everybody needs them, and you aren't getting one in Round 2. Not as deep as last year, but three for sure—Corral, Willis and Pickett—plus a wild card," one executive said.

Matt Corral (Ole Miss), Kenny Pickett (Pitt), Malik Willis (Liberty) and Sam Howell (North Carolina) are the strongest bets to go in Round 1, with Nevada's Carson Strong also having a shot.

Edited by HigSkin

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Pickett doesn't have anything even in the same universe as Mahomes as far as talent. And he's not nearly on the same level of accuracy as Joe Burrow.

That's fine.  We shall see how he progresses as a Pro.  We are all entitled to our opinions.  I just ask that we all respect each other's.  :)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Thank you. I was going to ask how poor that man was that Pickett was his Mahomes. Poor **** probably can't afford food. 

• Like 2

I've not read a lot of the pages and I know very little about this crop of college QBs but I'm certain they are going with Corral so they can market him as Commander Corral and that he can "corral the troops". Might be the main reason they draft him. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, slinky said:

I've not read a lot of the pages and I know very little about this crop of college QBs but I'm certain they are going with Corral so they can market him as Commander Corral and that he can "corral the troops". Might be the main reason they draft him. 

It's as good as any.

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I love me some Darrell Green, but I have to imagine we probably would have won a couple more SBs with the kind of teams we put together through the 80s and early to mid 90 if we also had Marino through that whole time period. We still won a couple with top notch teams and journeyman QBs...imagine if we'd had a HoF QB during that time. We would have gone from a team that won a couple one-off SBs to a dynasty.

Wait, we won 3 rings with average quarterbacks?  Get right outta town!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Yup...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10018748-nfl-draft-2022-rumors-gms-execs-could-see-4-or-5-qbs-being-selected-in-1st-round

While the 2022 NFL draft class is widely seen as being a down year at quarterback, league executives believe at least three and as many as five signal-callers could go in Round 1.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport spoke to 10 executives, all of whom view three as the bare-minimum number.

"I don't know that all of them are truly worthy of getting picked in Round 1, but everybody needs them, and you aren't getting one in Round 2. Not as deep as last year, but three for sure—Corral, Willis and Pickett—plus a wild card," one executive said.

Matt Corral (Ole Miss), Kenny Pickett (Pitt), Malik Willis (Liberty) and Sam Howell (North Carolina) are the strongest bets to go in Round 1, with Nevada's Carson Strong also having a shot.

One thing that others know and may be of interest; maybe not, Dyami Brown, one of Howell's targets last year might be putting a bug in the coaches and F.O. ear. about Howell but the coaching staff already knows Howell well from prospecting Brown last year. :)  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Wait, we won 3 rings with average quarterbacks?  Get right outta town!

Sure, 30 years ago, when football was very different than it is today. These days anyone who's on the "you don't need a top QB" train is basically on a train with no conductor and that's headed towards a cliff, because zero actual NFL coaches and GMs agree with you.

Either way, my point was imagine if we were able to build those teams but also have a HoF QB over the whole period. We would have gone from a couple of one-offs to a team that was dominant for 10-15 years. Even back then it would have had a huge impact.

So yeah, I'd certainly take Dan Marino over Darrell Green if I had a choice. (Though it's not that we necessarily did...we were going to pick Marino if he fell to us apparently, but he was taken one pick before us).

7 hours ago, slinky said:

So, had we gone with the Red Wolves or Wolves, would Howell have been our favored QB in the draft? Maybe we'll trade up for the first draft Pickett? I'd just as much like to see us get Ridder of the draft pick by trading down. That would be a Strong move. What you say Willis?

• Haha 1