Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

17 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Have I missed a something here, where’s this news come from?

I think he's referring to the series of tweets posted above where Quinn seems to value some metrics that Daniels is strong in, ala deep ball completion.

We got all next week for this coaching staff and FO to see these guys up close.  I know some here imply that all the answers exist on youtube and the rest of the process is a bit of a sham.  But I get the impression that some teams put a lot of stock in interviews, putting the QBs up on the chalk board, etc.   So things can still play out.

So for those (not you) who feel its Maye or bust.  Why all the consternation now. 😢. It could still happen. 😀

I doubt Quinn will drive the pick by himself.  For starters he said it was Peters call.  And in an interview he talked about watching a Qb prospect with Peters for hours and was educated by Peters as to what to look for on some counts and he was very impressed -- he went to his wife that night and said he told her Peters is a stud.  So that doesn't sound like Quinn is the overrriding factor in this call.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

This whole pre-draft process seems to be following exactly the same path/timeline as the HC search, with Maye as Quinn and Daniels as Ben Johnson. 

Maye is the guy with established bona fides, and Daniels is the hot newcomer with tons of late buzz. We're getting zero leaks from GMAP/etc., everyone is guessing, media is getting clicks by stirring the pot. And heading to the wire, with a decision imminent, the Commanders are doing final meetings with the candidates. 

At this point we just wait for Daniels' mom to call GMAP from the plane to cancel the top 30 visit, and the cycle will be complete.

Washington picks Maye on April 25, 2024.

Edit: I guess I should point out that I have a perfect prediction record. I've been wrong on every single pick or hire I've ever forecast for the Commanders. 

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So for those (not you) who feel its Maye or bust.  Why all the consternation now. 😢. It could still happen. 😀

Honestly SIP, i know my take rubs people the wrong way, but damn, the volume turns up on us taking Daniels and half the board has folded. That’s just bizarre on every level to me. Anyway. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Honestly SIP, i know my take rubs people the wrong way, but damn, the volume turns up on us taking Daniels and half the board has folded. That’s just bizarre on every level to me. Anyway. 

Its demoralizing seeing a possible ticket out of NFL purgatory sitting right there and passing it up in favor of a 150 lb 24 year old beanpole who fails every advanced metric.

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I just listened to Cooley’s take on Daniels on Sheehan’s podcast. Wow.  I am not posting a word of it here. People will blow a gasket and say Cooley is a moron. And Ive met Cooley multiple times, super nice guy, so I wont throw him under the bus here 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

47 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah. I don't live and die with my teams the way I did when I was younger anyway, but my interest in this team has been low for quite a while and not believing in what they are doing after finally getting rid of Dan would just keep on a very back burner for me. 

This is what happened to me with the Wizards.  I went from watching all of their games to zero of them and stopped following the team because they became boring and impossible to buy into.  I'm only going to sit through the dreck product if I can believe there is a clear path to competitiveness on the horizon.  Being a fan isn't some ritual that I'll perform regardless of whether or not my team is competitive.  An entertainment product can't be boring, and bad teams with no future are boring.  I'm not on board for some seven year trust the process style rebuild to get to an intermittent middle seed.  I've already reached a saturation point with bull**** from this franchise.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just listened to Cooley’s take on Daniels on Sheehan’s podcast. Wow.  I am not posting a word of it here. People will blow a gasket and say Cooley is a moron. And Ive met Cooley multiple times, super nice guy, so I wont throw him under the bus here 

I like Cooley's breakdowns, but the little I've heard form him on QBs make me put that in another category. 

Has there been another QB he loved more than Zach Wilson? Maybe Drew Lock? (bit of a joke there, he loved Lock but not that the way he gushed over Wilson)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its not hard to connect the dots.

Quinn has talked repeatedly about how QBs like Daniels keep him and other defensive coaches up at night. And Quinn just got lit up in the playoffs by an athletic mobile QB in Love(who actually kinda looks like Daniels, its probably honestly Daniels's absolute best case scenario). Then you hear him talk about post snap processing and hitting deep balls etc. and its just obvious Daniels is Quinn's pick.

And we know how convincing Quinn can be. He's a charismatic guy and its not hard to imagine him being able to convince a room to take the guy he wants. Especially consdiering Peters is a first time GM. If it doesn't work out he can say "well hey, he wasn't MY pick! I gave the coach who he wanted." 

Admittedly its a lot of speculation but I don't think its that far fetched of a theory when you think about it.

Unfortunately I can see this as well. He will surely get hurt and miss games every year. Strike 1... On the older side ... Strike 2 .... He was really only accurate on deep balls this year and look who his surrounding cast was elite wide receivers. Without them he is below average...Strike 3...I see this ending badly. Another RG3 but smaller..it will be fun when he is running around making splash plays til it's not and he is hurt on the sidelines. I hope I'm wrong and he is not the pick or that I'm wrong and he is a All Pro year after year. Goodness I hope we don't look dumb like the Panthers did last year and pass on a guy who brings a team straight to the playoffs 😬 and get a little guy who can't play in the NFL 😮‍💨 ....and watch Sam light it up in Seattle 😭 as a life long fan it's just the Redskins... Commanders 🤢 way. 

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley takes always remind me of Jason Bateman in "Dodgeball," for some reason.

a77dddc4261b68330b8a495f27b34551.gif

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I like Cooley's breakdowns, but the little I've heard form him on QBs make me put that in another category. 

Has there been another QB he loved more than Zach Wilson? Maybe Drew Lock? (bit of a joke there, he loved Lock but not that the way he gushed over Wilson)

Maybe Josh Allen

I knew the Cooley has bad takes post was coming. 

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Now this I’ve got to hear.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FlyBigBeard said:

Unfortunately I can see this as well. He will surely get hurt and miss games every year. Strike 1... On the older side ... Strike 2 .... He was really only accurate on deep balls this year and look who his surrounding cast was elite wide receivers. Without them he is below average...Strike 3...I see this ending badly. Another RG3 but smaller..it will be fun when he is running around making splash plays til it's not and he is hurt on the sidelines. I hope I'm wrong and he is not the pick or that I'm wrong and he is a All Pro year after year. Goodness I hope we don't look dumb like the Panthers did last year and pass on a guy who brings a team straight to the playoffs 😬 and get a little guy who can't play in the NFL 😮‍💨 ....and watch Sam light it up in Seattle 😭 as a life long fan it's just the Redskins... Commanders 🤢 way. 

Your last sentence brings up a point I was about to make about Maye fanhood.  I suspect a strong predictor of whether or not someone favors Maye over Daniels is whether or not they believe Sam Howell was a serviceable option at QB or not.

I consider Howell to be straight up garbage, and that even with a better O line, he would have been terrible.  Of course, it’s not something that can be proven one way or the other.  However, I suspect that how you feel about Howell can be a pretty accurate predictor of where you fall in the Maye versus Daniels debate.

Am I right or wrong here?  Anyone who thinks Howell was trash also think that Maye’s a better pick than Daniels?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe Josh Allen

Yeah, i don't really give a damn who has what take. I feel comfortable in my take that I don't care. I was just pointing out how much I like Cooley's work, but think he's not so great on QBs in the little I've heard from him. 

You can go ahead and act like I had some agenda with that post. I couldn't care less. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

This is what happened to me with the Wizards.  I went from watching all of their games to zero of them and stopped following the team because they became boring and impossible to buy into.  I'm only going to sit through the dreck product if I can believe there is a clear path to competitiveness on the horizon.  Being a fan isn't some ritual that I'll perform regardless of whether or not my team is competitive.  An entertainment product can't be boring, and bad teams with no future are boring.  I'm not on board for some seven year trust the process style rebuild to get to an intermittent middle seed.  I've already reached a saturation point with bull**** from this franchise.

Totally agree with this viewpoint but, for better or for worse, i think having daniels would be anything but boring

Edited by WashingtonRedWolves
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its demoralizing seeing a possible ticket out of NFL purgatory sitting right there and passing it up in favor of a 150 lb 24 year old beanpole who fails every advanced metric.

You’re not leaving open the possibility Maye turns into Carson Wentz.  Which is really possible. The similarities between Maye and Wentz are there: big guy, athletic (Wentz was Houdini prior to injuries) big arm, can make all the throws, questionable mechanics, longer delivery, plays some hero ball, misses easy throws badly.

I am more of a Maye guy than a Daniels guy.  But if you’re not acknowledging Maye has the ability to bust hard, you’re purposely looking away from it.  

He might turn into Herbert.  

Or he might be Carson Wentz.  

Daniels might be a better passing Lamar.  Or he might be Justin Fields.  

You just don’t know.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 9

I played poker with Cooley a few times when he was a rookie. A few years later I ended up in the tent where some players and their families go to eat post game and he remembered me and was kind enough to come say high. I was so drunk that I slurred through some recollection of how I had just won $1500 at the poker game two days earlier. He got a very confused look on his face and walked away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You’re not leaving open the possibility Maye turns into Carson Wentz.  Which is really possible. The similarities between Maye and Wentz are there: but guy, athletic (Wentz was Houdini prior to injuries) big arm, can make all the throws, questionable mechanics, longer delivery, plays some hero ball, misses easy throws badly.

I am more of a Maye guy than a Daniels guy.  But if you’re not acknowledging Maye has the ability to bust hard, you’re purposely looking away from it.  

He might turn into Herbert.  

Or he might be Carson Wentz.  

Daniels might be a better passing Lamar.  Or he might be Justin Fields.  

You just don’t know.  

Sure. I fully acknowledge Maye can bust. But I can live with it because at least he represented a true blue home run swing. Daniels doesn't have anywhere near that upside. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, skinsarethebest said:

Your last sentence brings up a point I was about to make about Maye fanhood.  I suspect a strong predictor of whether or not someone favors Maye over Daniels is whether or not they believe Sam Howell was a serviceable option at QB or not.

I consider Howell to be straight up garbage, and that even with a better O line, he would have been terrible.  Of course, it’s not something that can be proven one way or the other.  However, I suspect that how you feel about Howell can be a pretty accurate predictor of where you fall in the Maye versus Daniels debate.

Am I right or wrong here?  Anyone who thinks Howell was trash also think that Maye’s a better pick than Daniels?

In my honest opinion I believe Eric B broke Sam with his play calling and is hard-headedness and Ron is just as much at fault with the OL he assembled.. I think Sam could be a quality starter in the NFL. He just needs better coaching and to get his mental confidence back.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Now this I’ve got to hear.  

Yeah Sheehan goaded him into watching these guys.  He hasn't done Maye yet. 

I think it was funny when Cooley revealed recently that his film reviews especially the negative ones weren't well received by his employer, the Redskins brass.  Trashed a lot of the FA signings, some draft picks, mostly right on them but wrong on Fuller.  He was early on the RG3 can't play mantra and Kirk was better -- making an enemy out of RG3.  Ditto saying Haskins was a bad pick. That wasn't apparently well received.

I think his top one is liking Josh Allen as the tops in that draft, not too many were with him on that, I think it was Chris Simms and maybe another straggler too.

Drew Lock I recall but he didn't love him.  He thought he had a shot.  I don't recall the Zach Wilson one so I got to catch up with that. 

Don't get me wrong, he has some misses.  But my point is who doesn't?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Peters is not a moron. We aren’t drafting Daniels. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Sheehan goaded him into watching these guys.  He hasn't done Maye yet. 

I think it was funny when Cooley revealed recently that his film reviews especially the negative ones weren't well received.  Trashed a lot of the FA signings, some draft picks, mostly right on them but wrong on Fuller.  He was early on the RG3 can't play mantra and Kirk was better -- making an enemy out of RG3.  Ditto Haskins was a bad pick. That wasn't apparently well received.

I think his top one is liking Josh Allen as the tops in that draft, not too many were with him on that, I think it was Chris Simms and maybe another straggler too.

Drew Lock I recall but he didn't love him.  He thought he had a shot.  I don't recall the Zach Wilson one so I got to catch up with that. 

Don't get me wrong, he has some misses.  But my point is who doesn't?

Can you break down what he said about Daniels? I’d love to be made increasingly comfortable with possibly passing on the guy I like. 

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe Josh Allen

No one who likes Jayden Daniels really has any respect when it comes to grading QBs. You can tell because they like Jayden Daniels lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Yeah, I’m afraid I would have to be out on the team if they take Daniels. After all of the **** that I’ve been talking on here? My life would be RUINED and they would own 100% of the responsibility.

Totally unrelated and for completely non-sadistic reasons I recently upgraded my car antenna.

Its called the Mangler.

1r1qy2j0cmoiqa.jpg.b126c38e6c77ed2f167bc2a9c17a4a94.jpg

• Haha 1