Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

The aspect of aggressiveness is an intriguing perspective to assess quarterbacks. It appears that the elite quarterbacks possess a degree of aggressiveness that sets them apart from the average ones. It’s as if the average quarterback, when playing in the fourth quarter down by 10 points, reaches the baseline level of aggressiveness that the elite quarterbacks maintain throughout the game. The average quarterback often requires external factors to grant them the “permission” to be aggressive.

The journey to the pinnacle of elite performance is a challenging one, mainly because external pressures continually attempt to pull you back to an average level. Quarterbacks frequently hear repeated advice, trying to constrain them within the boundaries of what’s considered average. The elite quarterbacks often need to assert themselves and request that those around them step back and let them execute their own methods. Moreover, they must disregard the pundits who tend to evaluate them on scales heavily influenced by the abundance of average performances in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I want to see the whole season play out for Howell before landing on a hard take but in short he's flashed more than Kirk at this stage.

Kirk has better size and was-is better at avoiding sacks.  But if you guys recall a lot of ups and downs with early Kirk -- good games but awful games, too.

Keim who has seen all the Qbs here for the last 30 years or so has said to his eyes in camp, Howell has the best arm talent since Kirk and their work ethics are also similar.  As a pure passer, Keim said Howell looks to him better than Alex Smith did.

I am not right now into fishing in the 2024 draft for another QB.  And if Howell's trajectory continues to climb i'd seriously doubt a new regime would want to start over.

But will see Howell still has more than half a season to play.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

The aspect of aggressiveness is an intriguing perspective to assess quarterbacks. It appears that the elite quarterbacks possess a degree of aggressiveness that sets them apart from the average ones. It’s as if the average quarterback, when playing in the fourth quarter down by 10 points, reaches the baseline level of aggressiveness that the elite quarterbacks maintain throughout the game. The average quarterback often requires external factors to grant them the “permission” to be aggressive.

The journey to the pinnacle of elite performance is a challenging one, mainly because external pressures continually attempt to pull you back to an average level. Quarterbacks frequently hear repeated advice, trying to constrain them within the boundaries of what’s considered average. The elite quarterbacks often need to assert themselves and request that those around them step back and let them execute their own methods. Moreover, they must disregard the pundits who tend to evaluate them on scales heavily influenced by the abundance of average performances in the NFL.

Judging by Arians book about QBs and him being around them.   The Qb's talent and work ethic are central to becoming elite.  Brady likes to talk about not being the most talented guy but he prepares so intently and works on his craft so much, in his mind he can't fail.

Arians talks about how some QBs just have much better field processing ability.  Some of that is natural vision and some of that is preperation.  Guys like Peyton Manning knows his protections and knows the opposing defense like the back of his hand -- and can see things in a split second as they unfold on game day.  Also guys like Peyton constantly work on their mechanics so that muscle memory kicks in on game day.  Arians likens it to perfecting a golf swing.  It's nonstop he says.  And the great ones don't stop working on their mechanics.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Today was another game of growing pains for Howell. Need to take deep shots early my man. Need to check down quick verse an all out blitz. I've been a huge Howell supporter and that will remain throughout the season. 

Having said that, he is not nearly the biggest weakness on this team. I think we have the worst rushing game in the league. 

Edited by Daniel.redskins
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

It's tough to grade Sam because of our OL situation. He is getting beat up. He looked rattled today. This wasn't his best game. 

Bad game from Sam.  But bad play calling, bad O line play was part of the story.  As Keim has said a few times recently, if you know you are building around a young Qb who holds on to the ball then give him a good O line which they failed to do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Bad game from Sam.  But bad play calling, bad O line play was part of the story.  As Keim has said a few times recently, if you know you are building around a young Qb who holds on to the ball then give him a good O line.

We will be rubbing their nose in the OL mistake all season until they are let go. There is nothing that can save them for that mistake at this point. This group will be a reminder to the team that once spearheaded OL appreciation that OL better be a priority in your team building. The next regime cannot make the same mistake with our OL. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

It's tough to grade Sam because of our OL situation. He is getting beat up. He looked rattled today. This wasn't his best game. 

I'm not sure there were plays to be made.  Once they gave him some time, he made good decisions.  I still don't think the wideouts are doing enough to help him.

Edited by Leonard Washington
  • Like 2

It's becoming frustrating as a fan(s) that we know exactly what D-coordinators plan to do, rush 5 or more against a poor O-line, yet EB doesn't seem to go into a game planning for it and it is only deep into the second he starts playcalling accordingly.  As soon as he had Howell rolling the pocket and moving around by design, he magically had the necessary time to make plays and started dropping dimes. It also improved his time to throw in the pocket once the Giants D had to account for him possibly scrambling.  This all feels very football 101, but were are almost at the end of the 2 month mark of the season and it isn't being worked into the normal game plan as of yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

It was a bad game for Howell but...

How can I possibly put blame at his feet when your Oline is giving you 2 seconds and your OC looks like his goal is to get you killed.

I'm not sure how negatively I can grade Sam when I don't think any QB in the NFL could have found much success in the same situation. Dude was royally Ramsey level screwed today. There was nothing he could do but take sacks or force the ball out regardless of whether guys are open or not. The full Patrick.

All I can say for Sam is the couple of times he had an opportunity he wasn't very good.

He was 100% put in a position to fail today. No help.

If anyone can question how I can blast EB but not Sam to the same extent, put today's tape up.

Worst part is this is pretty much wasted game film for the next regime. It will do nothing to convince them that Sam can be the guy thru no fault of his own.

• Like 3

I still like Howell a lot and despite people talking about us tanking the number of teams worse than us record wise means we're not getting close to the top pick(and I'm gladd when the top QB is a USC QB).

If he survives this season he should be our QB next year

To doubledown @Thinking Skins as to why we don't want the Martys back.

Look at yesterday.  Would the Giants have won that game without Darren Waller, Jalin Hyatt, Banks and Okereke?  Heck even Isaiah Simmons made a big play for them.  How novel off season additions actually helping right away?

Guys from the off season that actually contribute to wins.  Who did we get?  Nada right now.  And I am not so sure the Giants aren't now just an outright better team than this team.  Giants have had the harder schedule.  Only bad teams they've played was the Cardiinals and the Commanders and they beat them both.  We played the Bears and Denver while they played SF and Dallas and Miami.  They played the Bills much tougher than we did.

Screen Shot 2023-10-23 at 6.27.41 AM.png

I'm not confident in Brissett leading this team to anything meaningful, but there is a slight part of me that is curious if the sacks would go down or up with him under center.  I also strongly feel that it is unfair to judge or grade Howell (other than the sack problem, o-line sucking noted) because his coordinator is not doing him any favors.  It just makes no sense to me to wait for a half to call a rollout pass (which resulted in their first 3rd down conversion of the game).  

Howell was off yesterday but he also had absolutely no help. The OL was atrocious, but the receivers weren't beating single press man coverage ever. How many times did Howell have a nice easy open receiver to throw to? And the one time he hits an open receiver in Dotson to potentially tie the game the bamma drops it.

I don't think we're realizing how bad our WR corps is. McLaurin is very good and Samuel is a nice #3 gadget guy but that's it. Nobody else is NFL caliber or at best fringe roster caliber.

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I don't agree with his declarative "he ain't the guy", but these numbers are brutal.

Dont know what criteria that PFF uses for placing responsibility of blame for sacks, but that is not what I saw watching yesterdays game. Line was abysmal. 

• Like 1

Its not Howell's fault either but another thing to consider...

New ownership is gonna wanna sell jerseys and tix next year.

An oline that prevents Howell from contributing to that cause could be very detrimental to his future.

Just now, Chris 44 said:

Dont know what criteria that PFF uses for placing responsibility of blame for sacks, but that is not what I saw watching yesterdays game. Line was abysmal. 

Same-zes

Howell has contributed noticeably to sacks in other games but against the Giants that was 100% all bad oline. Dude had no chance.