Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

On 10/16/2023 at 1:16 PM, zCommander said:

Actually, he is the best QB we have had since RG3 and Kirk.

RG3 was an injury plagued one season wonder who got figured out by the end of his first season. Great season and super talented, but nowhere near Sam Howell in terms of upside. Kirk Cousins is an OK starter who can't win the big games (and never will) because he's so uptight and weird. I will give it to Kirk Cousins for being a top-notch business man and self-marketer. The man is a genius for generating so much money after accomplishing so little.

I believe Sam Howell is a 20 year starter who won't get injured that often due to his stocky body (Russel Wilson-esque) and has the IT factor to win Super Bowls if you give him a good O-Line. He demolished the Cowboys his first game, to me that's a good omen for his entire career. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

That video did a really good job of showing the damage Sam is taking beyond his sacks. Stuff that does not show up in the stat sheet.

It not just the body destruction Sam is incurring from record sack numbers. I have been talking at length for a while about the damage from running the ball, but I rarely touched on the hits on plays where he gets the ball out.

A bad o-line is constantly sending free runners, and Sam is getting absolutely annihilated simply for doing the right thing. Love that Sam is willing to stand in there and take the hit, sometimes you simply have to as a QB in the NFL, but you can't get hit by a truck 5 times a game week in and week out and expect all your parts to be in working order the next day.

Again, your not gonna get rid of all damage opportunities, but when your getting bulldozed at the rate Sam is every mitigation factor become more and more important.

Current pathway is wildly unsustainable. Sam could be the size of Big Ben and this would be problematic.

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Nice information but it needs to be presented in a better way.

I agree, but before I put a lot of weight into it I have to question how well they recognize coverages. DCs disguise those things well. It's interesting, but maybe not quite true. 

The other thing is that it's such a small sample size. I know we keep saying it but it's true. If it carried over from college it's different, but 6 games?

But yeah user interface is bad

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

Look at the rush stats. And the rush yards before contact. BRob is not getting help from the OL. This shows he's not getting holes. So basically the OL is not helping Sam by creating a running game.

Yeah. That poster is asking why you said “I know people like to say how great the Commanders OL” is in your tweet. What Twitter bubble are you in exactly that that’s what you’re seeing? Did you find yourself deep in the blind homer corner? Because no one is saying that, in general 

Just now, Conn said:

Yeah. That poster is asking why you said “I know people like to say how great the Commanders OL” is in your tweet. What Twitter bubble are you in exactly that that’s what you’re seeing? Did you find yourself deep in the blind homer corner? Because no one is saying that, in general 

Oh, that was the Al Galdi show and a Chris Russell show and another. They have been ranking them high. Given, Chris did a show recently where he asked, saying he knows they aren't good so, are they average or bad. 

• Like 1

If Washington can achieve 24-plus points per game by the end of year one with EB, I’ll be thrilled. It’s been quite some time since Washingtoms had an above-average scoring offense. Many teams would envy 22 points per game. Let’s not become too demanding all of a sudden.

Let’s welcome more sacks if it leads to having a top 12-15 scoring offense! Washingtons currently 16th in scoring.

Edited by wit33
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Let’s welcome more sacks if it leads to having a top 12-15 scoring offense! Washington is currently 16th in scoring.

The guys at PFF actually talked about his. They said it is okay to take sacks, well, not really okay but if that is what you are doing by taking them aka Joe Burrow, but you have to be at Joe Burrow's level to make up for it through the air and Sam is not quite at the level of Joe Burrow's yet.

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

The guys at PFF actually talked about his. They said it is okay to take sacks, well, not really okay but if that is what you are doing by taking them aka Joe Burrow, but you have to be at Joe Burrow's level to make up for it through the air and Sam is not quite at the level of Joe Burrow's yet.

It’s a bit more nuanced than making it possible only if he plays at an elite level like Joe Burrow. I understand the perspective that might be biased against him succeeding. The reality is that in year 1 of an offense with a first-year starting QB, Washington ranks 16th in scoring. He might not be Joe Burrow, but Washington is achieving average-level results with flashes of greatness.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It’s a bit more nuanced than making it possible only if he plays at an elite level like Joe Burrow. I understand the perspective that might be biased against him succeeding. The reality is that in year 1 of an offense with a first-year starting QB, Washington ranks 16th in scoring. He might not be Joe Burrow, but Washington is achieving average-level results with flashes of greatness.

There is nothing earth-shaking about achieving average-level results. Many teams manage it without getting their QB killed and still consistently miss the playoffs. It being “year 1” of EB + Howell doesn’t change that. And because it came during year 4 of Rivera it matters even less. Too little, too mediocre, too late. If Howell is the real deal, we’ll see him reach his ceiling under the next staff. And hopefully then the bar will be higher than “average-level” and “top-15” in a field of 32 teams. Middle of the pack offensive production on a rookie contract is certainly worth much more than middle of the pack offensive production on an expensive veteran contract, which I know is your main concern. But it still gets you nowhere in this league.