Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

You know who was the best offensive player was for us today? John Bates. That dude is an animal. He was just crushing dudes.

Maybe, but he couldn’t get his feet in bounds for that perfectly placed ball, which was neither too high nor late. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Is he? 

He can only win if you run the ball 40 times and have a top 5 defense.  

If you ask him to throw the ball more than 25 times, he can’t and will turn it over at an astounding rate.  

He is a very decent backup.  Lord, he gets worse the more games they win…in your opinion.  I don’t remember him turning the ball over at an astounding rate in any of our wins.  You just hate him, and that’s ok….but you are rewriting the season.  Let’s just win the next one!!

56 minutes ago, CommanderCarson said:

Fantastic, for those that have spent the last 20+ years waiting to win football games and now we’re finally doing it, please forgive us if we don’t want to hear about how the first guy that’s actually finding a way to do it for us should be improved upon in said season that said QB is actually accomplishing something that no one really has done around here. 

Amen.

• Like 1

Once again, it seems like I'm watching a different game than most others.

Was TH great Today?  No.  Was he bad?  No.   He wasn't asked to do much in rainy conditions.   The running game was working.

He threw an awful INT and missed Terry for a TD...I can't think of another bad throw.....I've seen some, included media harp about the near INT in the 3rd quarter that was overturned by replay....It was a 3rd and 15 play.   give me a break.   

Wentz was sacked 23 times in 6 games.   TH has been sacked 9 times in 6 games.   I think we lead the league in time of possession since TH has been starting.

TH is not the long term answer, but constantly over reacting to every bad throw is ridiculous.   QB's throw INT's and miss receivers.

Edited by FLSkinz83
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

59 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Let's say that does happen and he's anointed the starter going into next season. How's his 150 yards per game with 1.5 TDs and an interception going to look when we're not playing a last place schedule? Here's a hint...

capjz0c2q1c41.gif

That sudden stop is no joke.

image.png.5e6e3466e0e1e499fd10a28a1161983a.png

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t hate the kid.  

He also was never supposed to be playing.

What just irritates me is people who want to argue he is more than he is.

Oh, I think you do hate the kid.

What irritates me is people who give him zero credit.  I’m sure he knows, positively, that he is not starting QB material.  I guess, according to some here, he should resign the position.  But kudos to him for getting the opportunity and making some money….and doing his best, even though he knows this is a fleeting moment in life.  I say good for him.  And, oddly enough, we’re winning.  We beat the undefeated Eagles.  I’m excited for the rest of the season to play out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

The team has not had a winning qb who has played the equivalent of a season or more other than Taylor Heinicke since Snyder bought the team. Yet the guy who took over a 2-4 team and went 5-1 since taking over as starting QB has nothing to do with it. It’s in spite of him!

This has little or nothing to do with how good Heine is. It highlights how bad Wentz was. Heine doesn't cause as many turnovers and doesn't take nearly the number of sacks that Wentz does. That doesn't mean Heine is a starting level QB.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I really want some of whatever you are smoking, drinking, or shooting….

It just be some massively good ****

Well his crazy prediction is actually more accurate than yours has turned out.

They'd be 2-10 right now by yours.

Edited by SkinsFTW

43 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

TH is not the long term answer, but constantly over reacting to every bad throw is ridiculous.   QB's throw INT's and miss receivers.

What is baffling me is that many of those who think Heine provides nothing to the team were actually fans of how Alex Smith played, lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

This has little or nothing to do with how good Heine is. It highlights how bad Wentz was. Heine doesn't cause as many turnovers and doesn't take nearly the number of sacks that Wentz does. That doesn't mean Heine is a starting level QB.

His 10-4 record in his last 14 games says otherwise. Dude wins games. Without him, we lose games far more often with anyone else. Simple as that. He gets the credit. He elevates the play of everyone around him including the defense. They play hard for him. That’s his job and he does it well. 

• Like 2

What a game. Fun to watch. Just knew we were losing 20-19 LOL. Great play by the D to save it (yes it was the int, not the running into the kicker play, although that was nice).

Taylor is a mess but the rest of the team likes him and plays hard for him. He had some bonehead plays today but made a few plays when needed. Not sure 138 yds a gm is going to win you any playoff games LOL. But give the guy his due, the team is getting Ws when he is in. 

I have not seen anyone suggesting Wentz replace him, yet I see a lot of comparisons saying well TH is better than CW at...  fill in the blank. So let's just make this clear, Carson Wentz should never see the field as a Washington Commander unless it's due to injuries. Right now TH clearly gives you a better chance to win. Even then I would go to Sam Howell first then Carson. But that's just me. 

I thought I saw someone suggest the team resign TH for 3 yrs/ $10M a yr. If I have that right, all I can say is pass the bowl..... LOL

Watching Brian R come of age right before our eyes is excellent. Best back we have had drafted since Alfred Morris.  And don't look now btu our E room is not bad. 

Fun game today. Next up, meaningful football in December. Always a good time. Need no worse than a split with NY, then beat one of Clev and the 49ers. Beat Dallas to end the season as they could/should be resting players, that gets you to 10-7 and I would think the POs. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

TH continues to be a horrendous QB who's closest comp is closer to Tebow than anything else.

I don't care if the weather is 90 degrees and sunny the gameplan should not and clearly does not deviate from keep the ball outta THs hands.

5 completions and 30 yards in the second half, and he somehow is contributing to a win? That is absurd. His input is about the same as the rest of us at this point, watching the game. Only difference is he has a better seat. Even when he does get the oppo to throw a pass, everything he does is at a bottom of the NFL level. And even tho he is getting the equivalent of the "go stand in the corner" treatment, he still has multiple turnover worthy plays each week.

Our team is literally executing the philosophy of stop TH from impacting the game. Its a great strategy considering the other options.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zim489 said:

They win against bad teams that make mistakes. Limit mistakes and have some fluky things happen against good teams and you have a fighting chance. The way that we’re winning will not work for playoff runs. QB play and passing is what Carries this league. 

we win against bad passing offenses. 

I sort of agree. 

But I would argue that not all interceptions can be weighed the same.  An interception in the 1st quarter can’t always be as damaging as an interception in the 4th quarter. You simply don’t have as much game time to make up for a mistake. 

An interception where points aren’t scored off the turnover isn’t as valuable as an interception that yields a field goal or touchdown.  And if you throw a pick when you have a top 5 defense, yes, they’re out in the field a bit longer but they also have a higher capability of erasing or at least nullifying the mistake. 

Mistakes do matter in this league but some mistakes are certainly more costly than others. 

In regards to QB play and passing is what carries this league, we can agree to disagree a little bit. Yes, I’d love a franchise quarterback who puts up ridiculous stats and can put a team on his back. Everyone wants a Brady or Manning or Rodgers or Brees.  Everyone wants big plays and beautiful passes from the quarterback position. Everyone is Cameron Diaz in Any Given Sunday. 

But we should also note that some of the most celebrated teams in history like the ‘85 Bears, the 2000 Ravens, and the 2015 Broncos rode strong defenses instead of elite quarterback play in the postseason. Sure, it’s harder to do but let’s not pretend that having an amazing quarterback is the only way to win in the postseason.  As long as a team is elite on one side of the ball or the other, they’ve got a shot. 

Unfortunately we’re not elite on either side. Our defense is very good and we have a good running attack, neither of which are elite. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

@Skinsinparadise

It really is maddening seeing a tweet like you posted...there's a lot of talent on this team getting wasted with this bare minimum passing game approach we are taking.

If Taylor wants credit for getting the ball in playmaker hands, he, um, actually has to do that.  There's no reason in the world Dotson and Curtis go catch less in a game. 

Arguably the best WR room we've had this century jus getting wasted.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I don't think the Heinicke experience is that complex. 

A.  A QB who is 6 foot and he joked that he's under that, who has a weak arm, with a completion rate of 60%, who averages 167 yards a game and 1 TD a game and almost 1 pick a game, and analytics put him on the bottom or close enough of most key QB catagories, gives a strong vibe of VERY below average QB play.  Some of us (me included) say he's a below average QB.  And the eye test and his stats don't just back us up -- they scream that we are right about that.  I don't think its even remotely debatable.  So when it turns to a debate, it can get weird and ugly at times. 😀

B.  Heinicke might be the best we got right now albeit I get those pushing for Wentz right now but I can see it either way.  I think the Heinicke Hives have at a minimum a strong fighting argument on that.  Wentz didn't look hot.  And while I trust name that old fart like Tom Brady to gain more yards on the ground than Heinikce the way he's become allergic to running the further he plays.  Heinicke has strangely emerged as one of the the least running threat QBs we've had in recent years the more he plays.  Still Heinikce is agile and can maneuver in the pocket.

C.  Heinikce is clearly not the lead dance as to their winning.  It's the run game and defense. He's done just enough to keep the ship afloat and his teamates love him for it and his personality.  It's sort of like we got ace pitchers keeping the opponents down to 2 runs a game.  Heinicke as the offense doesn't do much but does get the 3 runs needed to win the game.  Yes, if the defense sucked, i got no doubt Heinicke would be exposed and exposed big time.  But fortunately the defense doesn't suck and its really really good.  If the defense has an off day though we look big time screwed.  And if I were the oppponent I would go to the extreme as far as crowding the line of scrimmage to shut down the run like what Dallas did last season against us. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

A significant investment in a veteran QB this offseason seems inevitable to me.

I agree...badly as I want a QB on a rookie contract, there's jus way too much being left on the field with our skill position players to tolerate anyone that can't regularly get the ball to them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CommanderCarson said:

It’s getting old.

What’s getting old is your daily diatribes about the fanbase.  Your posts wreak of “I got a C+ in Psych 101, so I’m basically a psychologist”.

Just a big word salad of assumptions, hyperbole, and whining that not every fan absorbs the team in the fashion you would like.  

It started with how we are a bad fanbase for caring about Dan too much, not attending games and you’ve since graduated to standing on a broken down soapbox shouting everyone down about not liking Heinicke enough.

I can think of literally one person here that doesn’t enjoy winning and that’s @Zim489 who is very transparent about that.  Everyone else is along for the ride, with varying opinions but on the ride none the less.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Skinsinparadise

It really is maddening seeing a tweet like you posted...there's a lot of talent on this team getting wasted with this bare minimum passing game approach we are taking.

If Taylor wants credit for getting the ball in playmaker hands, he, um, actually has to do that.  There's no reason in the world Dotson and Curtis go catch less in a game. 

Arguably the best WR room we've had this century jus getting wasted.

It's a really good roster IMO.  Even the O line is playing better now.  In the off season, IMO we need to beef up the O line, add a corner and QB.   I've never felt so good about a roster under Dan.  But to your point, a below average QB will limit this roster.

As I said before, it reminds me of the Gibbs 2 teams -- they had talent (I think this roster has more) but Brunell and Campbell limited the ceiling of that team and big time. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Taylor is a friend of Terry indeed. not so much Doctson.  I think one catch so far in 2 games from him.  Hopefully they can build some chemistry. 

This is just so frustrating. I backed Dotson to be OROY and under Wentz he had been cut into favouritism (at least with the bookies here). I don't recall Taylor throwing to him once since he got back from his injury

1 minute ago, UK Skins said:

This is just so frustrating. I backed Dotson to be OROY and under Wentz he had been cut into favouritism (at least with the bookies here). I don't recall Taylor throwing to him once since he got back from his injury

He did throw once. One catch last week.  Not sure if its been more than that.  But a promising start is looking to be a dud year stat wise for Dotson if it continues on this pace, clearly.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

His 10-4 record in his last 14 games says otherwise. Dude wins games. Without him, we lose games far more often with anyone else. Simple as that. He gets the credit. He elevates the play of everyone around him including the defense. They play hard for him. That’s his job and he does it well. 

I think there’s something you Hive guys may not be considering. My theory is that Henie’s limitations force Scott to call games to the team’s current strengths rather than being primarily the deep passing oriented offense that he’d prefer. Again, it’s good enough for where the team currently is, but it’s not good enough to regularly beat good teams, especially those with elite offenses capable of scoring on anyone. 

• Like 1