Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): Ineptitude vs. Kansas City

KDawg

20 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We aren't any closer now than we were 25 years ago lol

Yeah I feel like the only good thing about going so long without a franchise QB is that we're used to it, so while it's disappointing, it's basically an accepted and known thing. We're resigned to it.

Packers fans are going to have a tough time dealing with it when Rodgers is gone (assuming Love doesn't turn into an elite QB). They've been helmed by HoF QBs for the last 30 years almost. Not having one is going to be a shock to their system.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

The offense was terrible.

Oh absolutely. Tho O is mediocre to say the least.

But this Defense is turning out to be historically bad.

It's very posible this year we surpass our all-time worst of 478 points allowed back in 2013. We're almost there at 186!

36 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I feel like the only good thing about going so long without a franchise QB is that we're used to it, so while it's disappointing, it's basically an accepted and known thing. We're resigned to it.

Packers fans are going to have a tough time dealing with it when Rodgers is gone (assuming Love doesn't turn into an elite QB). They've been helmed by HoF QBs for the last 30 years almost. Not having one is going to be a shock to their system.

I also feel like we don't apply much pressure as a fanbase on the team to do much because we are just used to the suck and have no faith in the FO. 

I wouldn't be surprised if GB somehow lucks out again before we even find a franchise QB. It seems like some teams have already found two franchise QBs before we have even found one in the last 20-25 years. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

At least the Giants share some misery too 😧

Mara's identity, like Snyder's IS the football team.  That's it.  They're never selling.

Mara has gotten so close to helping us out though.  He tried to retroactively kill the RG3 trade, would have been nice in hindsight had that happened.  His co-owner (that he agreed with) told the GM to not trade Landon Collins for a 2nd rounder at the deadline.  That would have likely meant he never would have signed a contract with us in free agency.  If he had killed the RG3 trade, and if he had decided to trade Collins...our team would be sitting in a better picture.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Unfortunately It won't work, we all know who's going to make that pick. :(

“Every year that I was there, we had a pretty good draft class, with a couple exceptions,” Gruden said. “[Smith] was really good about listening to the coaches because the coaches also did evaluations. ... When it came our time to pick, we’d always talk about the picks, where we’d like to go, what happens if [the player] is gone, and did all our scenarios. And then [owner Daniel Snyder] would come in off his yacht and make the pick.”

Edited by FrFan
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

Lost for words really. I knew the Chiefs would put up numbers and score, but we can only manage 13 pts. against their D, which was as bad, if not worse than ours coming into the game?

It was like after we squandered a golden chance to increase our 13-10 lead after the KC shanked punt, we totally quit. I mean, you take over on your own 45 against the leagues worst D with all the momentum and a chance to take control of the game with a TD and you miss a 42 yd. FG? Abysmal!

It also felt a bit like KC toyed with us. Is all I heard in the first half is how Tyreek Hill was hurting and wasn't right. Then after halftime they said he was still in the locker room and was questionable to return. Low and behold he comes back into the game soon after that and lights us up with no sign of an injury.

Whatever the case, we quit or they played with us for a half, the reality is we suck really bad. We're a broken team and as bad as things appear, things are probably even worse than what we think. 

• Like 1

I honestly feel like that missed field goal turned the game against us. The team knew we were getting no breaks and taking no real chances and the Chiefs realized we were willing to trade  field goals for TDs so they could put it away easily

14 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Woof.  When does Fitzpatrick come back?  Heinicke is better than he looked today, but maybe he's just in a funk.

Or maybe they have tape on him and defenses are now able to maximize his weaknesses and minimize his strengths.

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FrFan said:

Unfortunately It won't work, we all know who's going to make that pick. :(

“Every year that I was there, we had a pretty good draft class, with a couple exceptions,” Gruden said. “[Smith] was really good about listening to the coaches because the coaches also did evaluations. ... When it came our time to pick, we’d always talk about the picks, where we’d like to go, what happens if [the player] is gone, and did all our scenarios. And then [owner Daniel Snyder] would come in off his yacht and make the pick.”

Trust me I remember it well, I probably posted most of the Haskins is Dan's pick before it became conventional newspaper fodder.  It started as radio and TV gossip before it even happened and I recall some didn't believe it and the discussion got heated for that reason.

Dan also was supposedly the dude who wanted:  Sanchez (got outbid), Quinn (his scouts talked him out of it), McNabb, Ramsey.  He was an RG3 guy but supposedly so was Shanny.

Yeah Dan is capable of botching anything.  But how dumb can one dude be.  You'd figure a monkey can randomly pick players and eventually get one right.  It's amazing how off Dan is with every instinct just about.  Only time I can recall he supposedly got one right is he claimed to someone he wanted Santana Moss but Marty wanted Rod Gardner.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Please stop talking to Chase Young.  Pretty please with sugar on top.😭

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:
13 hours ago, skins4eva said:

This franchise isn’t worth the time and effort any of us put into it. If the team moved tomorrow, I wouldn’t care anymore. 

I agree that they are not worth the time and effort, but you know and I know that few people will stop cold turkey.  We may shorten our time and decrease our effort, but a full-on stop?  That's debatable.  A move of the franchise, however, could do it.  But as long as they remain in Washington, most of us will keep smoking this crack pipe of ineptitude known as the WFT. 

And we will be here next week regretting that we have hit the crack pipe again only to experience another bad high.

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

New England as well.  Their fall from grace is going almost exactly as many predicted. 

Nah, they've found their QB of the future.  So has Green Bay probably.  Those organizations are excellent and know how to support and develop QB prospects into franchise players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cakmoney61 said:

Or maybe they have tape on him and defenses are now able to maximize his weaknesses and minimize his strengths.

I thought he looked decent in the game overall.  His one INT was a fluke play that was entirely on the DL who made it and there were more than a few drops by the WRs

Gibson's lack of progress from year one to two is damning.  He was an experiment and he is not a natural running back at all.  He has no feel for pacing his runs and letting his blocks develop, just runs straight up his OL's asses on most of his snaps and trying to bully his way through the second level.  And he lacks the instinctive feel for protecting the ball into contact that a RB must develop.  This dude is not a lead back, he needs to be in a complimentary role.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Gibson's lack of progress from year one to two is damning.  He was an experiment and he is not a natural running back at all.  He has no feel for pacing his runs and letting his blocks develop, just runs straight up his OL's asses on most of his snaps and trying to bully his way through the second level.  And he lacks the instinctive feel for protecting the ball into contact that a RB must develop.  This dude is not a lead back, he needs to be in a complimentary role.

Many of us have been saying this. I love he’s on our team and he’s a VERY dangerous weapon. But he isn’t a bellcow.

• Like 4

Picking #11, not ideal IMO to get someone like Corral if he keeps playing the way he did.    However, with their schedule by the time this is finished I wouldn't be surprised if they are picking top 5. 

If they did like Mac Jones as one reporter contended but not enough to trade up for him, that's a good sign because he's looking like the real deal.  Judging by Mike Shanahan's comments in a podcast, he really liked Mac too and that makes me believe that SF was indeed torn some between him and Lance.  Sean Payton also apparently liked Mac a lot, too.  He might end up regretting not trading up considering how "meh" Winston has looked so far.    lol at least passing on Winston so far is looking OK though I think Winston was committed to NO no matter what. Also after a good start, Darnold has quickly fallen back to earth. 

Supposedly the dude they really liked was Justin Fields but again on him Rivera supposedly was adament about not trading the store to get him.  Even though I liked Jones, I get wanting him to fall to 19 versus trading ahead of NE to get him.  But they might regret it more on Fields who has IMO freak ability.  Will see.  If there is any consolation the Giants and the Eagles also could have taken Fields but passed on him.  

Keim, I know some here think he's full of crap, but I don't.  He's been right too many times for me buy he pulls nonsense out of his butt just to talk considering that's not his reputation.  He claims that Hurney claims he was a big Herbert guy when he was in Carolina.    I guess that's easy for Hurney to say now and there is no way to prove it.  I do buy the interest though in the other QBs because I heard before the draft in real time, and Silver who is close with Rivera and Rivera himself alluded to it after. 

If all of this is true including they were hopped up on getting Stafford and made a strong effort to get him unlike what they did in the draft -- then maybe their instincts on QB are good at least in terms of picking the tight targets?  IMO their big mistake was if they loved Fields then take it on the chin and lose your 2022 first and also likely your 2021 first and 2021 2nd to make the trade.  It's worth it for a QB IMO.  Rivera's rationale was supposely they need to build a stronger roster before sacrificing major draft capital.  He's said so in multiple interviews.  I get the point but I am not a big believer in the theory of build your roster and then when the time is right that franchise QB appears.  I just don't think it flows that neatly.

But anyway we will see.  Considering I was pretty much hopped up on all of their supposed QB targets ironically and at least on Stafford they gave more than a college try to go get him -- I'll give them a pass for now.  But I won't give them a pass for blowing the Qb spot next year.  By many indications they will go for it next off season at that spot, the bigger question is do they pull it off?

I don't fault them for Haskins.   Dan wanted him.  I am gathering Dan was talked into him by Shawn Springs and Riddick.  I thought Haskins was a dud before we drafted him.  And he has almost the opposite makeup that I thinks brings you success at that spot.  Mac Jones was screaming through the roof intangibles.  Haskins while not a bad guy IMO came off as having all the wrong traits for that spot -- not known as a leader, not known for his work ethic, showed up to the combine out of shape, attitude -- showing up to meetings late, "meh".   Will see if Tomlin can fix him but I got my doubts.   He's third stringer there.  Every NFL team could have claimed him off of waivers and no one claimed him.  That speaks volumes.  Kyle Allen is undrafted and IMO is just a guy.  Heinicke also undrafted, bounced around the league, showed some flashes but his talent is limited.

Rivera's really only talented Qb in his tenure was Cam Newton and that worked more than well.  Hurney who drafted Cam is here.  Lets see if they can get another Cam.  At least that's how I feel. 😀

• Like 1

I was really high on Gibsons potential, but he's just not calloused for the position, that only playing reps can get you. He could be the best 3rd down back in the league if used correctly. I think Turner is creative enough to do that too. We need a RB1.

Holcomb played by far his best game of the season and looked really good. Great to see, as well as Davis getting more reps. 

I think we had only allowed 13 yards on the ground at the half, which is just awesome. Lots of pressure too. Our Dline is playing really well.

Our offense completely let us down. Not sure what Turner is supposed to do when Heinickes arm has run out of steam. That pass to RSJ when the Chiefs bit on the screen was horrific. He had Humphries and RSJ clearly behind the defense and could barely get them the ball.

• Like 2

I still like Gibson. You guys are right he's not a traditional bellcow type back like a Henry or Zeke but I think he can succeed in a Kamara or McCaffery type role. I'm not saying he's as good as those guys but those guys aren't 20+ carry a game backs either. I don't get why we don't use him as a receiver out of the backfield more and in turn reduce his carry #.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I still like Gibson. You guys are right he's not a traditional bellcow type back like a Henry or Zeke but I think he can succeed in a Kamara or McCaffery type role. I'm not saying he's as good as those guys but those guys aren't 20+ carry a game backs either. I don't get why we don't use him as a receiver out of the backfield more and in turn reduce his carry #.

I don't think anyone is saying we don't like Gibson. It's more that we aren't utilizing our roster appropriately. We could have tried to snag a bellcow type back this offseason to pair with him/McKissick and kept Patterson still. But we didn't.

It was a mistake.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think anyone is saying we don't like Gibson. It's more that we aren't utilizing our roster appropriately. We could have tried to snag a bellcow type back this offseason to pair with him/McKissick and kept Patterson still. But we didn't.

It was a mistake.

Latavius Murray would have been a perfect compliment. He complimented Kamara in New Orleans and is currently thriving as the power back in Baltimore(granted every RB does well there because of that system).

• Like 2