Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DEA Raids WFT Facility, Home of Head Trainer

Dan T.

CF93 seems kinda naive to me about how the real world works, and I'm not trying to be condescending but that's the best way of putting it. When you make a high-profile hire, aka one that's written about, and that person turns out to get raided by the DEA, it's not a good look. And it can hamper your credibility when you're preaching high-character and integrity.

"Yeah, yeah, Ron's all about character but his right hand guy was moonlighting as the football El Chapo so how important is character, really? How good a judge of character is Ron, really?"

Jay Gruden was asked on radio about the importance of the head athletic trainer to the head coach and he said the position was as important as the offensive or defensive coordinators - lots of relying on that individual and working closely with them. RV was Ron's guy. Ron was brought to turn around the culture. This is a black mark on that mandate, however much it is or isn't his "fault".

• Like 4

What the ol River Boar knew is relevant.  If he knew his hand picked trainer was into some criminal business then he should be fired immediately.  Im guessing we all agree on that, it’s not exactly controversial.  If he did not, and I assume he didn’t, than it’s a mistake he has to own.  Trusting the wrong person once isn’t the worst thing, but forgiving is not forgetting.  Nothing that generates negative headlines is ever really forgotten.  Certainly not by your boss.  If anything else untoward occurs, people will imagine they see a pattern.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

He worked nine years with Rivera, and his position is at the top of the football team crew. I can be wrong but It's difiicult for me to believe that Ron didn't know.

There's not nearly enough information about what the trainer is accused of to make a judgement like that. What if he only started some shady operation during the pandemic? He might have been a boy scout for all those years Ron worked with him before.

Let's wait and see what he's done, when he started doing it and why before we gather our torches and pitchforks.

41 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

There's not nearly enough information about what the trainer is accused of to make a judgement like that. What if he only started some shady operation during the pandemic? He might have been a boy scout for all those years Ron worked with him before.

Let's wait and see what he's done, when he started doing it and why before we gather our torches and pitchforks.

DEA investigation of Washington’s trainer is related to disbursement of prescription drugs

Sounds like their is a culture of the trainers improperly handing out painkillers and a lack of oversight of the activity of the training staff.  It's something that we need to get cleaned up, but it also sounds like this is a broad problem in the league and a status quo for how training staffs tend to operate.

I think it's possible for Vermilion to be a good trainer whom everyone liked and trusted and still have a problem with improperly handing out painkillers given that it's likely common practice for NFL training staffs.

• Like 1

Obviously, I don't know Ron so I really have no clue - but I find it difficult to believe he'd be cool with his top trainer committing prescription fraud.  Doesn't make any sense to be okay with or turn a blind eye to that sort of activity.  Too much to lose, with nothing to gain for Ron.

When I say it's a bad look for Ron, I'm simply talking about the hire in general.  That he thought highly enough of the guy that he felt the need to poach him from Carolina.  From what little is out there, it seems there is wild variance in opinions of the guy.  He's not someone that everybody loves and trusts.  He came in and ran off Dr. Robin West, Smith apparently didn't trust him.  So yeah, it's a bad look - at minimum.

I see I'm not the only poster to have issues with @Cooleyfan1993. His position on the mulligan Hopkins got when the Giants jumped offsides was bizarre, this one is as well.  

Of course it was a bad look that the guy who was supposed to change the culture hired a guy who turned out to be a criminal. There is no other way to look at it.  

I have no idea why a person holding a position like head trainer for an NFL team would risk it all.  Just so so stupid.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 3

Ron went through one hell of a painful year and it wouldn't shock me if his buddy helped him out. I think most of us would have been fine doing the same. I have taken prescription drugs without a prescription myself. It's not something I'd crucify anyone for, but it is illegal. 

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ron went through one hell of a painful year and it wouldn't shock me if his buddy helped him out. I think most of us would have been fine doing the same. I have taken prescription drugs without a prescription myself. It's not something I'd crucify anyone for, but it is illegal. 

Yeah I think we need to fully understand the charges before commenting on the trainer. But again this is obviously a bad look for the team.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

But again this is obviously a bad look for the team.  

Oh yeah, absolutely.

Especially since it's always something with this team, even after turning the corner allegedly. No more sexism or racism, just selling drugs now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

No more sexism or racism, just selling drugs now.

It's all in the game, yo.

btw, I am still picturing "head trainer" giving advice. 

"No, here, let me show you" looking like Andy Dick's character in Old School

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Oh yeah, absolutely.

Especially since it's always something with this team, even after turning the corner allegedly. No more sexism or racism, just selling drugs now.

I know who sparked this ;)

EWdDBbcXkAARqnS.jpg?fit=900,450&ssl=1

• Haha 3

https://viconsortium.com/vi-crime/virgin-islands-police-officers-family-members-sought-leniency-as-vipd-officer-receives-14-year-prison-sentence-for-role-in-massive-drug-trafficking-operation

One of the cops on island got pinched with 720lbs of coke in Miami and all the other cops wrote letters to go easy on him. 

Does this make you think there might be a lot of coke in the Caribbean? :ols:

5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have no idea why a person holding a position like head trainer for an NFL team would risk it all.  Just so so stupid.  

Ye$ it i$ $o $trange that he'd choo$e to do $omething like that, who can $ay what the impetu$ wa$? 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, FrFan said:

He worked nine years with Rivera, and his position is at the top of the football team crew. I can be wrong but It's difiicult for me to believe that Ron didn't know.

People live with spouses carrying on affairs right under their noses.  Executives right now are dealing with drug and gambling addictions their companies don’t know about.  Others are embezzling money from their employers and have been for some time.  

The idea that people close to us can’t do these  things without us knowing, is a happy lie.  Something we like to think is true.  Easier to sleep when you think you’ve got a firm grip on things.  It’s never been true.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

People live with spouses carrying on affairs right under their noses.  Executives right now are dealing with drug and gambling addictions their companies don’t know about.  Others are embezzling money from their employers and have been for some time.  

The idea that people close to us can’t do these  things without us knowing, is a happy lie.  Something we like to think is true.  Easier to sleep when you think you’ve got a firm grip on things.  It’s never been true.

Yeah I'm with you, no way Ron brings him to DC, or kept him on his staff in either places, if he knew.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2021 at 9:48 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Oh yeah, absolutely.

I couldn't agree more.

It's always something.

Have you read about the John Gruden fiasco? 

He's on the hot seat now, because of an old  racist email that he sent a team executive,  when he was working as a broadcaster.

The name of that team exec?

Bruce Allen.

I **** you not.....

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I couldn't agree more.

It's always something.

Have you read about the John Gruden fiasco? 

He's on the hot seat now, because of an old  racist email that he sent a team executive,  when he was working as a broadcaster.

The name of that team exec?

Bruce Allen.

I **** you not.....

I didn't, but gee am I so very shocked.